Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-10-17 21.23.51.jpg
2013-10-11 19.27.14.jpg
2013-10-11 19.26.55.jpg
2013-10-11 19.26.44.jpg
#1 10 years ago

The beacon on my Getaway doesn't always start spinning when it turns on. Some times I have to tap it to make it spin. It doesn't look like the reflector it getting stuck on anything, so I'm assuming it's the motor/gearbox that's going bad.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to look at?

What's the best place to by a replacement motor?

#2 10 years ago

I'm guessing that B_R will chime in on this and guide you in the right direction. He knows all things Getaway.

#3 10 years ago

That would be great. I think he actually worked on mine when it was owned by someone else.

#4 10 years ago

I don't think there is a gearbox for the motor. Check your connections, and see if there's a loose wire anywhere. Make sure the reflector is tight on the shaft. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage going to the motor and make sure it's 24v.

#5 10 years ago

I would still take it apart and ensure the reflector isn't just barely hitting the mount.

#6 10 years ago

Yes, check both that there's a good quarter inch between the bottom plate and the part that mounts on the shaft. Also check to make sure the top of the reflector isn't hitting the top "arm" that holds the light bulb.

#7 10 years ago

It looks like everything is correct and all the screws are tight. The reflector isn't hitting the top or the two motor screws on the bottom, and it can get stuck in any position. I can hear the motor struggling to turn like it is stuck and when I touch it it goes like normal. Maybe you can see something in the pictures? Any ideas?
BTW, do they make LED replacement bulbs for this lamp?
2013-10-11 19.26.44.jpg2013-10-11 19.26.44.jpg
2013-10-11 19.26.55.jpg2013-10-11 19.26.55.jpg
2013-10-11 19.27.14.jpg2013-10-11 19.27.14.jpg

#8 10 years ago

My motor was dead when I first got the game, so I replaced it with a new one and was experiencing the same thing you described for a few weeks. I was doing the same thing, tapping the backbox to get it going. Eventually it just stopped getting stuck, not sure how or why but hopefully yours does the same.

#9 10 years ago

Hmm... There has to be something. It's strange that yours did it with a new motor. I guess that means that my motor is probably fine.

#10 10 years ago

Dumb question.. Can you lubricate it to stop any resistance ??

#11 10 years ago

Not sure where I would do that. It looks like the motor is to the right of that black post and it turns the post via gears which I can't see.

#12 10 years ago

For the bulb, I believe it's a reverse light bulb for cars #1156 found at any auto parts store or Walmart.

#13 10 years ago

I've taken the motor off of the gear box and cleaned it up. Looks like a little clip broke off of the shaft. I made my own clip with a paper clip. Now the motor by itself works out of the gear box every time; it didn't at first. When I put it back in the gearbox, it still struggles to start, but it does seem to work better. I'm going to try to open up the gearbox next to see if I can get that to be a little smoother. I think the grease is getting old and a little too sticky.

#14 10 years ago

Mine started doing that, new motor and problem fixed.

#15 10 years ago

What is the # on the bulb?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

What is the # on the bulb?

I didn't take it out, but I believe it's 1156. Just wondering if it had an LED replacement. It's the only incandescent one left.

About the motor... I think I need to get a new one. It's still kind of iffy. I couldn't open the gear box the way it was sealed up, but I did notice that every time the lamp spins in a different direction. Not sure if it did that before or not, but it's doing it now.

Where's the best place to buy the motor? I only see it at Macro and MAD Amusements.

#17 10 years ago

Turns out it was the motor/gearbox that was bad. I just put in a new one and it works nicely.
2013-10-17 21.23.51.jpg2013-10-17 21.23.51.jpg

#18 10 years ago

Thread subject said "beacon"

I thought it said "bacon"

This is disappointing to me

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Turns out it was the motor/gearbox that was bad. I just put in a new one and it works nicely.

Glad that fixed it! I just usually slap the side of the backbox and it starts turning again.

1 week later
#20 10 years ago

I've written a tutorial on fixing these motors in case anyone is interested. See here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-beacon-motor-for-hs2-and-possibly-others

Also, that paper clip fix that I was talking about above. That turned out to be the wrong fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.50
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hs2-beacon-motor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.