• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Which and why?

#2 10 years ago

Both is the correct answer.

#3 10 years ago

In a perfect world - sure - but for the rest of us who have to choose?

#4 10 years ago

I'd pick Genie... I like the theme, colors, artwork and sounds better than HH. They're both pretty classic though, good stuff all around.

#5 10 years ago

HH for me, but would go with the multiball conversion to make it a keeper.

#6 10 years ago

I say Haunted House but genie is awesome good game too. I think 3 levels and nice back glass makes haunted house a winer. Thats my 2cents lol

#7 10 years ago

Tough call.

Both are great titles in their own.

Best just to buy both.

Ken

#8 10 years ago

I would also choose Genie. If for no other reason... I hear the maintenance on HH will drive you nuts.

#9 10 years ago

I like the theme of HH better. The three playfield levels are so cool. I also like the sounds of the game. Due tp the fact that the cellar playfield has to be visible, there is a lot of wide open space on the main PF. I have never played Genie but I hear that the game play can be very slow. The artwork package on Genie is pretty well done.

#10 10 years ago

Which game do think
Is more fun to play?

#11 10 years ago

Haunted House

#12 10 years ago

Man, I am a Bally/Williams kind of guy... But I have always though haunted house and black hole were really cool games I would love to have. Multi level play fields on the HH would be my reason for picking between the two.

#13 10 years ago

Seriously, they are both incredible games in their own ways. Don't choose based on what we have to say. Buy the one that's closest and in the best condition for the money you want to pay. You will be happy with either.

#14 10 years ago

I am here to repeat what Piparoo is saying.
Either way win win. Both great games for different reasons. HH for multiplayfields and Genie for more of a target shooting style.

Hey another person from Vancouver.. Welcome to pinside JimmyDred

#15 10 years ago

Agree. Play them both and choose for yourself. I would probably say HH but a very close call. I am assuming all the issues with the HH have been fixed though. It does like to break down.

#16 10 years ago

Haunted house is so much more fun IMO.More to do with 3 levels better theme too.

#17 10 years ago

Haunted House for me all the way , currently looking for a nice one

#18 10 years ago

hmmm... tough one.
can say, wish i hadn't sold my Haunted House.
lifted the back legs up a little more than normal to speed it up some.
game is fun, always like multi-level games, music is great, and the entire art package is just amazing.

#19 10 years ago

Ive never played genie but judging from pics I dont see how it could out do haunted house.

#20 10 years ago

HH all the way. Genie is sooooooooo boring. So slow even when the game is at max tilt. Just my opinion..Genie seems to get love.....but hot BG only goes so far. HH is the total package and one of the best gottliebs..period!
Almost a cult like following for it. I have one and its not for sale and could not sell my old genie fast enough.
Buy what you love and forget everyone else.

#21 10 years ago

Fun to see all the opposite comments taken as a whole. Been selling pins for 35 years. I always tell people long term play appeal should be priority one, including audio. If you want something that is only pretty, buy a painting. If long term play appeal is there, then theme etc should follow close behind. My issue with HH from the day it came out is that it is a yummy, sugary candy bar with no substance. As much as I wanted to like it, I found I got bored quickly. Love the look, love the theme, love the sound although it quickly gets boring.

Genie, IMO, offers much more for the player. Theme is fine, audio is boring but quite functional for what it is. But it is a great strategy drop target game. As a game, I just think a year from now you will still enjoy playing it, while I fear HH will be fun here and there to play once or twice from time to time and to impress friends. Genie, I believe, will still be a fun and challenging game down the line. Always think long term with pinball! As someone else said, you go with the one YOU think would be the most fun...that is what its all about. As you can see by the conflicting comments, there is no right answer that works for everyone!

#22 10 years ago

To me, it's not fair to compare a system 80 to a system 1. It's kinda like comparing El Dorado to OZ. As others have said, you really cant go wrong with either.

Quoted from Pinball4life:

Genie, IMO, offers much more for the player. Theme is fine, audio is boring but quite functional for what it is.

Genie does have two different audio themes. Neither are spectacular, but when you get sick of one, you can switch it over to the other sounds. Easy switch too. Just reach in the coin door and flip a switch on the sound board.

Also, you can change up Genie by tossing in a powerball. It decreases your chances of doing a wicked shimmy, but definitely livens up play compared to using a normal ball. I like the steel ball better because it makes outlane saves much easier (chicks dig wicked shimmies d. The powerball does make for some sizzling spinner shots though. Nothing better than a lit spinner with a powerball slowly rolling down an inlane.

#23 10 years ago

Haunted House!!!!!

#24 10 years ago

Not having played HH it's unfair, but I will say this in favor of Genie:

MUCH less maintenance, could end up being a bigger deal than you think
Drop targets...let me repeat...drop targets
Drop Targets

For whatever reason my Genie doesn't feel 'floaty' to me at all. While the ball doesn't always race around, compared to another Genie I've played, mine feels fast, sometimes just mean. I still have to elevate the rear so I imagine it will only get faster. As for the powerball, I'm fine with the steel. Artwork=awesome.

Haunted House has the new multiball you can get with a new board but again you need the new board for any new modes. I'm considering a new board for my Genie but really like the scoring rules already. Sure, having both would be great, I'm content with Genie right now and know it will be working..without a ton of work.

#25 10 years ago

hh all the way.

we had one and a new one is coming with the new board/multi-balls and speech, can't wait to play it.

#26 10 years ago

Who sells the new boards?

#28 10 years ago

I own a Haunted House and it's always been one of my all-time favorites, but I've had fun playing the Genie in emulation on the Wii.

#30 10 years ago

Hh music and theme all the way

1 month later
#31 9 years ago

Haunted House I think is more fun to play. Genie is not a bad game itself though it just doesn't have as many bells and whistles. They are both great games though.

#32 9 years ago

The right answer is Black Hole, but if you insist.....choose Haunted House.
Genie is a beautiful game. Have one in my collection but its not a good
player IMO.
Steve

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from jedimojo:

I hear the maintenance on HH will drive you nuts.

SHHHHHHHHH.

Yeah with the mod conversions now well HH would win for me. I like both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 7.50
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genie-or-haunted-house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.