(Topic ID: 85150)

Future Spa Club - Come on in the water is warm!

By Xenon75

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231228_222007 (resized).jpg
20231228_214230 (resized).jpg
20231228_205429 (resized).jpg
20231228_200818 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.14.20 AM (resized).png
6A080666-3BD5-49B0-BCD3-9F3E52B20E0C (resized).jpeg
641EB49B-783E-4D79-AA2F-FB38362BF658 (resized).jpeg
117D74B4-5291-4DBA-82FD-26BD63872055 (resized).jpeg
68AA2963-2259-467E-AA30-3A48F1212646 (resized).jpeg
FE29CE2C-C0CC-4448-907A-48E0C6071C57 (resized).jpeg
BDD091B3-7AD4-4C41-B6E9-A2C74F98E640 (resized).jpeg
8DF650EA-73F8-423F-93B9-9340E21BB215 (resized).jpeg
5AFC1F58-1A83-48EE-81AA-25E533CC30E1 (resized).jpeg
35B760E5-81C2-496D-933D-05B763AB47D2 (resized).jpeg
792947F2-F0A1-43EA-A71C-52E72F4EDF02 (resized).jpeg
DCDF2F83-AB97-403B-BF56-1F75732A8946 (resized).jpeg
There are 450 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 10 years ago

Figured we needed to start a club now that this great game is finally getting some attention. I will be posting photos as I begin to restore the one I just picked up. Would love to see some pictures if any one fully LED'd this game or other mods that have been done.

#2 10 years ago

I'm an owner, but hoping to not be by the end of this week.

#3 10 years ago

Sometimes you need to cull the herd in order to get what you want collection wise...

#4 10 years ago

Yep. Want to lose Future Spa to make room for Metallica. =P

#5 10 years ago

I have been working on one. This is a learning experience because I haven't worked on a pin with this particular set of boards. I am used to System 11 and WPC. So far, I have rebuilt the transformer board and the voltage regulators on the driver board. Also replaced a few bad transistors on the driver board. I have the proper voltages at all of the test points. The CPU powers up and the GI and most inserts are working (probably a few bad components on the board that runs the inserts).

Now that I have voltage, the problem is that all of the coils (except the flippers... they work fine) seem to fire all together as soon as the machine is powered on, and the 1amp fuse under the playfield immediately blows. Trying to figure out what that might be... I am guessing that something is shorted under the playfield, but why would ALL of the coils fire? Weird stuff.

IMG_20140216_105033_182.jpgIMG_20140216_105033_182.jpgIMG_20140216_105041_687.jpgIMG_20140216_105041_687.jpg

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

but why would ALL of the coils fire?

Most logical explanation is that something that would connect ground to all of those solenoids is shorted... I don't entirely know this boardset either... is there a pre-driver IC that controls all the smaller transistors before the bigger ones that directly fire the other solenoids?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Most logical explanation is that something that would connect ground to all of those solenoids is shorted... I don't entirely know this boardset either... is there a pre-driver IC that controls all the smaller transistors before the bigger ones that directly fire the other solenoids?

I was actually thinking about replacing the IC on the driver board U1, U2, U3, and U4 next.

http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/pdf/bally-solenoid.pdf

•1 ea. 74154 4-to-16 Decoder
•3 ea. 3081 Transistor Array IC

#8 10 years ago

Sounds like a good place to start to me.. I would start with the 74LS154 (U2), as that seems to be the first link in the chain that would have the potential to ground all of the solenoids if I'm not mistaken. Prior to that would be the PIA that signals that chip.....but that chip is what's directly signaling the pre-drivers.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:B_solenoid1.jpg

*edit* Technically, and keep in mind my diagnosis skills are still pretty lacking, I THINK you could test the output pins of the U2 and see if they're constantly high on all output pins...that would tell you if it's fried. I think. :p

#9 10 years ago

I've always wanted one of these.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Sounds like a good place to start to me.. I would start with the 74LS154 (U2), as that seems to be the first link in the chain that would have the potential to ground all of the solenoids if I'm not mistaken. Prior to that would be the PIA that signals that chip.....but that chip is what's directly signaling the pre-drivers.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:B_solenoid1.jpg
*edit* Technically, and keep in mind my diagnosis skills are still pretty lacking, I THINK you could test the output pins of the U2 and see if they're constantly high on all output pins...that would tell you if it's fried. I think. :p

10-4 that. I will test and see..

Thanks for your help!

#11 10 years ago

Titty Showers!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

10-4 that. I will test and see..
Thanks for your help!

Don't thank me unless I'm right, otherwise I've just wasted your time. LOL.

#13 10 years ago

No I think it will be the 74154 as well. You may have to check each 3081 if you have any remaining locked on coils, but the last time I had this, I changed the 74154 and all was well.

#14 10 years ago

Love the "laser curling bar" uuunnnnnnhhhhhgg!!!

2 weeks later
#15 10 years ago

I notice that in the manual that is online from ipdb, pages 13 to 16 are removed. A real pity, as those cover maintenance and troubleshooting.
Is there anyone out there that has these pages, or is it a case of some grand overlord holding them hostage for $$'s?
Appreciate any help.

Chaos

#16 10 years ago

Hey, any chance I could get a couple measurements I can't seem to find online?

1. What is the actual outside width of the cabinet in inches?

2. How much vertical space is there between the top of the plastics and the glass (I know that is a weird one)?

Thanks to anyone who can pass on that info!

#17 10 years ago

If no-one else can help, I'll take those measurements for you when I get home tonight.

Chaos

#18 10 years ago

Thanks, would appreciate it!

#19 10 years ago

Don't own it but it is a great game. Poor mans Paragon, I like to call it. My last trip to PAPA the question was asked, "If you could have any game in here, what would it be?". I thought about it and answered to everyone's surprise, Future Spa!

#20 10 years ago

Can't wait to get mine up and working. I want to have Future Spa, Paragon and Embryon all on legs at the same time.

#21 10 years ago

Ok..outside width of the game measured across the front is 72.5cm (28,35")
From what I can measure, the top of the plastics to the bottom of the glass is just under 1" (about 2.4cm) measured at the wooden side rails.

Hope this helps.

Chaos

#22 10 years ago

Chaos- Thank you! Looking for my first pin (and I live in a basement w/stairs) so that is just what I needed! Considering good pinballs to re-theme as well. Not much room for "toys" at the spa!

#23 10 years ago

I am still looking for a photo of whatever "holographic paper" or whatever sits inside that box at the top left of the back box. I know many of them are gone over the years, but would be great to know what it looked like or if it could be recreated.
I was thinking of putting colour changing bulbs in there, and then maybe crinkling up some reflective silver paper and seeing if I can get some cool effect behind the future spa sign, but maybe someone has a better idea?

Chaos

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Chaos:

I am still looking for a photo of whatever "holographic paper" or whatever sits inside that box at the top left of the back box. I know many of them are gone over the years, but would be great to know what it looked like or if it could be recreated.
I was thinking of putting colour changing bulbs in there, and then maybe crinkling up some reflective silver paper and seeing if I can get some cool effect behind the future spa sign, but maybe someone has a better idea?
Chaos

It, s not in the box but glued to the backglass behind the future spa lettering..
If yours is missing you should be able to notice the glue residue where it was.
At first glance it looks like an ordinary piece of plastic.

#25 10 years ago

Thanks. I have a thin bluish plastic square there, but I don't think that is original as it does nothing much, and there are glue remnants around it where maybe something larger was.
What did it do, and can it be duplicated?
I was confused by the recessed box that sits there, with the bulbs sitting further back for no reason.
Is this standard?

Chaos

box.jpgbox.jpg
#26 10 years ago

Love this game, the artwork is so bad that it's good! And the gameplay is very fun! This one is on my short list to buy

1 week later
#27 9 years ago

Just joined the Spa club! Spent all day today on the playfield and putting new rubbers in. The game has one anomaly..... At start up, the left slingshot and left pop bumper fire. The outhole kick out does not, neither do the drop targets reset.... Oh, the saucer kick out does not kick out .... Manually activating the coils does work. At first glance, the wiring seems in great shape. I have the manual, but it does a poor job of telling me where the wires in the switch matrix should route too.... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oh, the mpu board is in bad shape with battery corrosion, figured I would tackle that next. I'm hoping to sort this switch / solenoid issue out.

All the lights work great. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

WP_20140427_009.jpgWP_20140427_009.jpg
1 month later
#28 9 years ago

Just joined the club, just so totally 70's vibe, crazy wide body, and interesting game play.

#29 9 years ago

Congrats to you both! I might have found a solution for us that have missing "prisms" in our backbox lamp area.

#30 9 years ago

Does anyone have a recommended pitch for the field? usual 6.5?

And 1 other question.... there is a ground braid that comes up from playfield, where should that attach ?

Thanks,

Glenn

#31 9 years ago

mine got stolen in columbus ohio... long story... miss it

if anyone finds one in the area, it had some distinguishable things.

#32 9 years ago

Not exactly 'in' the club, but I have one in my garage that I did some repair work on for a friend. I will have it for a few weeks. The playfield is pretty blown out, but it plays great! I own a Paragon and this one has a lot of the same charm. It isn't quite as challenging, but it is almost as much fun

14402445635_85478dd899_b.jpg14402445635_85478dd899_b.jpg 14399075051_9b6ecac952_b.jpg14399075051_9b6ecac952_b.jpg
#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Congrats to you both! I might have found a solution for us that have missing "prisms" in our backbox lamp area.

Tell us more?

Chaos

4 weeks later
#34 9 years ago

I just noticed that my left outlane gate works a little differently than what I see in the videos, just curious if others works this way or if I just need an adjustment of the gate.

Instead of having 3 safe lanes on the left with the gate inactive, I only have 2, the gate moves all the way to the right to touch the lane guide between the 3rd and 4th lanes. I do believe shanetastics first photo above is showing how it works on my game as well as his (evidently).

I watch the PAPA videos and it doesn't seem to work like that...curious how it is supposed to be.

#35 9 years ago

If anyone knows of someone else who would like to join the club I have my Future Spa up in the market

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/13286

2 weeks later
#36 9 years ago
Quoted from worldofglenn:

Does anyone have a recommended pitch for the field? usual 6.5?

I'm also interested in a recommendation on play field angle. Mine was set at 4.5 when I got it. Anybody?
Thanks!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

If anyone knows of someone else who would like to join the club I have my Future Spa up in the market
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/13286

Tempted, but alas - no room.

I love the completely insane artwork on this pin. Delightful 80's tacky.

#38 9 years ago

No worries pinster I'm officially out of the club. Get ready to welcome your new member Whysnow!

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

No worries pinster I'm officially out of the club. Get ready to welcome your new member Whysnow!

Half of me says "good for him", the other half says "that mother effer stole it from me ... It was mine! mine! mine!".

Ah, the sad addiction that is pinball...

All the best Whysnow.

#40 9 years ago

was on the hunt for this game for a while and i had a friend down here that runs the JAX expo hook me up with a freaking nice one. however that being said it doesn't hurt to have an NOS populated play field to back up an already nice game. bummer was during international shipping from canada, the 18k insert fell out. so whenever the swap happens ill have to rob that insert and from there on out it'll need to happen the same way until someone play field is just to bad to use. ah well the game is already nice.

1 week later
#41 9 years ago

Since those reading this probably own a FS, might I ask a big favor, and ask someone to open their coin door, and just have a quick look upwards, and verify if the wiring on the right hand flipper is correct as per the helpful pinsider at the end of this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-anyone-help-with-wiring-these-2-future-spa-coils
I would really appreciate it, as I don't want to blow anything. Thanks.

Chaos

#42 9 years ago

Anyone?
No-one? Nobody have their game nearby?

Chaos

#43 9 years ago

I can take a look this weekend.

#44 9 years ago

Thank you Xenon, that would be hugely appreciated. Don't need photos or anything, just a visual confirmation or correction would be great.

Chaos

2 weeks later
#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

???

Chaos

4 months later
#46 9 years ago

Hi, i restoring one in this moment, working in electronics now. Great game!!

IMG_1187.JPGIMG_1187.JPG IMG_1192.JPGIMG_1192.JPG
#47 9 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a Future Spa playfield for sale? The Future Spa I'm planning to buy is completely worn to wood in the center so I'm looking to replace it.

1 week later
#48 9 years ago

I have a Future Spa playfield in storage. Just have some general pics here. Looks like it needs cleaned, but in good shape. PM me if you have interest. Thanksimage-968.jpgimage-968.jpgimage-823.jpgimage-823.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

3 months later
#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Dresslock:

Hi, i restoring one in this moment, working in electronics now. Great game!!

IMG_1187.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1192.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

That cabinet looks great, did you repaint it with stencils?

My Future Spa plays well but the cabinet had been painted over solid white by a previous owner at some point.

3 months later
#50 8 years ago

Major one down off my want list, I'm very excited to have my Future Spa, I love it! Picked up a nice one with a NOS playfield and repainted cab. Only needs a few things, maybe a new backglass, some new bulbs sockets, legs, and glass type stuff. I actually really like this one with incandesecents. I'm a huge LED guy and might leave FS without them unless someone can show me a tastefully LED'd one that looks better (green slingshots don't count as tasteful ).

11055335_805939282857535_1208724515093914724_n.jpg11055335_805939282857535_1208724515093914724_n.jpg

The only really big wants I have left are TX-Sector and Vector.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 450 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-club-come-on-in-the-water-is-warm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.