Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So, this past Thanksgiving my wife's family (cousins, uncles, brothers etc...) came to visit. And I always like to set up as many machines as possible for family fun time. Now, I am a pretty dang good player and all the machines have TTC flashing with unobtainable scores...
Well, late one night one of the mid 30's aged cousins spent a good amount of time playing Police Force. I would say he was on it from 11pm until 3am.
Needless to say he drank most of my beer but I was amazed when he showed me his and the machine's new high score. It was 54 mil. My best ever was around 43mil without a bunch of million shots, mostly playfield scoring and stacking top cop and bonuses.
Anyway as he left the next morning smiling with his Initials on MY machine I sneered a little and went to work.
It took me the past 3 months too bump that score and post 62 million or so. But I needed the million shots to do it. I took a picture, gave it to my wife and made sure he got it.

Now that is kinda funny. But here is where it takes on a whole new level of funny. If you have ever played Police Force you know that on your last ball you can "take high score" (take the score from any current player). Well for me I am always playing by myself so I double my own current score. Well, heck... this pinball meister (me) must have been sleeping when this guy pulled the wool over my eyes with his High Score. Yes, he was playing four player games, and eventually was able to have 4 decent games and double each score in succession until player 4, then double it again thus having this super duper game!

Ok, I found this out because last night I was playing and noticed the High score was my 62mil then my 43 mil then a couple other lower ones (holding the flipper for status on single player game). His 53 million didn't register! Then it hit me! I had no clue the software would track a single player score vs 4 player. The machine still shows his score as #2 in attract mode. But he has been outed as a 4 player Police Force fluffer.

#2 10 years ago

That's a good story. On my machine I have that shot up to 4 in a row. We've done 3 in a row a bunch of time, but never 4. I think we just choke.

2 years later
#3 8 years ago

Hi,

I came home to visit my parents in a fairly pinball barren land; but to my surprise there were two (2) Police Force Machines within a 20 min. drive. (w00t!) Thus, over the last few weeks I have been playing this table quite a bit and I have become quite fond of it (something I secretly pay homage to the fact that this game was first slated to be a Batman table). One of the tables is in pretty descent shape, but the second table is pretty hurting. But by no means am I an expert on this table, and please know that I humbly and warmly welcome anyone to correct me on anything pinball, as if I don't learn....well, I'll never learn.

I have a question for both tompallc and jalpert surrounding their posts w.r.t. the "Take High Score" feature of the game.

@tompallc:

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for your post, as it opened my eyes to the tracking of single player vs. multi-player modes. I am fairly new to pinball, so such information is truly appreciated. Secondly, I'd like to 'super' thank you for sharing the hint on the possibility of sequentially increasing your score with multiple players to cash in on the "Take High Score" feature. A lot of people hold secrets of games close to themselves and the manner in which you openly shared this newly discovered trick is something I highly respect and feel is a fantastic reflection of the awesome nature and open spirit of the pinball community. {For Masters do not fear teaching others, they enjoy it.}
My question is w.r.t. to your comment:

"eventually was able to have 4 decent games and double each score in succession until player 4, then double it again thus having this super duper game!".

I can sort of understand how the first player (of a 4 player game) would double their score upon hitting the right ramp twice on the third ball (exploiting the "Take High Score" Feature), but only if the First Player also had the highest score would they "double their score"; otherwise, Player 1 would get the highest score (from whichever of the four player scores was the highest) added to Player 1's current score. I am not saying my assertion is correct here, but more so asking to be informed of the correct result of play, or how you guys set the play up to enable this doubling of the score. As anytime during a multi-player game that I have exploited the "Take Highest Score" feature, I only seem to get the points from the highest scoring player added to the current player's score. And the times I have noticed the player to in fact double their score was when that player held the current high score.

That said, I believe I have a foggy recollection of *one* instance where a player (in a multi-player game) *did* indeed double their score without having the current highest score; but I believe this player was the first player to hit the "Take Highest Score" feature and the next sequential player to hit the “Take Highest Score” Feature did not double their score but only had the current highest score added to their score. I think this was because if/when the player hit “Take Highest Score”, their score would become the highest score, thus the game adjusted to the circumstance.

Regardless, I still have no idea how one would double the score sequentially for each player in a game; only how a player could double their score independently. That is, even if each player managed to hit the “Take Highest Score” feature, their scores would not be compounded – unless of course there was a way to hit “Take Highest Score” more than once on a player’s 3rd ball (or extra balls on the 3rd ball) or there is an alternative game setting that I have not experienced playing on these two tables.

Thus, I must be missing out on an important strategy surrounding "Take Highest Score" and not setting this feature up to best capitalize on it. Admittingly, I don't have the game play (storyboard) fully understood yet, as I have noticed that on the third ball my bonuses often tend to match my player's current score (which I think is related to the G.U.N.s multiplier????) and are assuming you guys are exploiting whatever this phenomenon is that I have only ‘caught’ happening and don’t understand beyond the GUNs multiplier pushing up the bonus.

@jalpert:
Do you mean 4 sequential shot up the right ramp? Or do you mean 4 sequential players hitting the “Take Highest Score” feature on their 3rd ball?

Thanks guys - I hope I haven’t lost you guys on in my description of gameplay or my questions; and I appreciate any help you can lend me surrounding this points multiplier.

Cheers,
HarborMaster

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from HarborMaster:

Regardless, I still have no idea how one would double the score sequentially for each player in a game; only how a player could double their score independently.

You can only 'double' your score if you are the high score when you 'take high score'.

I'm pretty sure he just using the word 'double' when he meant 'take high score' for players 2-4. Basically meaning 1rst player gets a good score, doubles it...then player 2 'takes high score' (getting the value of player 1s good score that was already doubled added to player 2 current score) , rinse and repeat for players 3 & 4 and scores can get quite high just by 'stealing' the high score from the previous player.

This is all a legitimate part of the game scoring and not really a 'gotcha' to find out his cousin did this.

#5 8 years ago

Yep. What bosco said.
Now I have to go and fire up that machine and get busy since you've brought this topic back to life haha!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

You can only 'double' your score if you are the high score when you 'take high score'.
I'm pretty sure he just using the word 'double' when he meant 'take high score' for players 2-4. Basically meaning 1rst player gets a good score, doubles it...then player 2 'takes high score' (getting the value of player 1s good score that was already doubled added to player 2 current score) , rinse and repeat for players 3 & 4 and scores can get quite high just by 'stealing' the high score from the previous player.

That's precisely how I thought and have experienced the game to work. Thank you very much for your answer/post - most appreciated. And wow, did you ever explain that game play a heck of a lot more concisely than my long, clumsy post - great job.

@tompallc: Man, you definitely given me more than something to do in chasing down your 62 Million. I managed to get 36 Million one game, which was entirely a complete 'luck-out', as it was before I understood much about the game play. I looked down to start my 3rd ball with a score of 7 mil and when I looked up after my 3rd ball drained my score was at 36 million. {Note that I was so excited by my score that I couldn't focus enough to stop my extra ball(s) from draining.} I score about 10-15 million every so often and generally every few games I get one score that's 5-10 million....well, that's not entirely true. As the way the 'universe' dictates pinball for me, is that out of let's say a dozen games: They'll either all be 10-15 Million; or they'll all be < 5 million and I'll refuse to stop playing until I break 10 Million .

Gheesh, I play this game way too much now. In a couple weeks I'll be back to 'pinball civilization'....I can't wait.

Thanks again guys,
Harbor Master

#7 8 years ago

It's a great game. I enjoy playing it very much and is a shining example of the genius of both Barry Oursler and Mark Ritchie. BTW - I still have an NOS playfield available for sale in the marketplace. PM if you're interested.

#8 8 years ago

Anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason behind how the upper left saucer become lit? Seems like it's randomly lit.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason behind how the upper left saucer become lit? Seems like it's randomly lit.

Hot Sheet saucer is lit at the start of each ball. After you score it you need to pass the ball thru the right inlane to relight (easiest to do by going up the center ramp)

#10 8 years ago

Thanks. Wish it was adjustable.

This game gets a lot of flack for some reason but the more you play it, the better the strategy gets. It's well thought out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funny-police-force-high-score-story and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.