View topic image gallery

chipped3(M).jpg
chipped2(M).jpg
chipped1(M).jpg
flipperaction2-246.JPG
flipperaction1-250.JPG
flipperbushing2.JPG
flipperbushing1.JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Absolutely. At least it is playable . . . for now.

#52 10 years ago

Let us know what you find out after you replace the bushing.

#53 10 years ago

Will do.

One final thought: What if the fix is to do nothing? The flipper works. What is the purpose of the bottom portion of the shaft -- probably just to keep the cam in place and not push the flipper up too far? It still functions in that regard. Does it matter that it freely rotates around the flipper rod? Maybe time will tell, but as long as the upper part of the shaft that leads to the playfield doesn't crack, perhaps I'll be ok.

#54 10 years ago

you can probably get away with it for a while, but I'm sure you will eventually start noticing other problems with the flipper. At that time you do the fix if you want to wait.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

You sure can see where there is some interference there. I would take a file or dremel tool and create some clearence on both pieces in that area, replace the bushing, work it by hand and see if that corrects it. If you look at the tower on the bushing, you can clearly see that the area between the two screws on the arrow side was the first place to start the break.

Yup that's what I would do, taking a 16th off that metal piece won't effect it's strength in the slightest and you could probably take more off if needed. Cost, $0

#56 10 years ago

Ok, well I think I'll buy a bunch of flipper bushings -- because apparently they are handy to have around -- and wait it out. I'll keep an eye on that spot with the wear, and if other problems start to develop, I'll try filing it down. If that doesn't work, it will be time for a rebuild. Either way, I'll update this thread when there is something to report. Thanks again, everyone!

#57 10 years ago

Flip away Nokoro!

1 month later
#58 10 years ago

Ok. One month later and WOLF's prediction came true. Now the top and bottom shaft of the bushing are cracked and the flipper stopped working. I'm going to borrow my friend's dremel tonight and try to file that piece down a hair. I'll report back. Luckily, I bought a bunch of spare bushings just the other day.

#59 10 years ago

Well, so far so good. I filed away the part that was hitting, put a new bushing in and reattached the switch lever. I played with it a few times by hand and saw that there was no contact. That 1/16th of an inch seems to be making a difference. I've also played a couple of games, and the bushing has stayed intact. So I hope that was the problem. I'll report back to let you know whether the bushing is continuing to hold up. Thanks again everyone for being such good issue spotters!

#60 10 years ago

I think that pesky bushing problem will go away now.

#61 10 years ago

There should be no wear on the white, cylindrical shaped nylon attached to the flipper pawl. If flat spots exist, it needs replacement. Very common on Bally "linear" flipper assemblies.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There should be no wear on the white, cylindrical shaped nylon attached to the flipper pawl. If flat spots exist, it needs replacement. Very common on Bally "linear" flipper assemblies.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. So far, it seems to work.

1 month later
#63 9 years ago

So, one final report (I hope). After some time, the flipper bushing continues to hold up.

Now, I just hope I don't curse myself by posting this.

#64 9 years ago

That's good, I think you'll be ok from here out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-bushing-keeps-cracking/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.