• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGA0349.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey Guys...

I am was messing with some LED's today and noticed a few things. On some flashers the LED's want to stay on, rather than flash when they are supposed to. (I have two lamps this way) Also, I noticed when the pop bumper is actuated a flasher on the back box lights..(never noticed that before)...

Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

#2 10 years ago

I think it's the warming resistor, that tan rectangular log by the bulb. If you snip one end of the connecting wire that will break the connection and the led flasher will work then. But DON'T do it yet, let someone else chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. I had the same problem as you with my System 9 Space Shuttle and that fixed the problem. I'm slowly learning these machines. IMGA0349.JPGIMGA0349.JPG

#3 10 years ago

yup. snip all the warming resistors off.

Many System 11 flashers have more than one bulb in parallel. On those circuits, you can put a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with an LED and it will work right. my little secret.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Many System 11 flashers have more than one bulb in parallel. On those circuits, you can put a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with an LED and it will work right. my little secret.

Thanks castlesteve. Do you really need that 100ohm resistor. I have a HS that I havn't gotten into changing over to led yet.

#5 10 years ago

If you are talking about f-14 having a flasher in backbox go when a pop bumper is hit I believe that's ok and correct. I can check later.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks guys for the reply's and yes PracticalSteve...working on the F-14...

Whats funny is that one of the sockets that is staying on is along the back of the playfield. With the LED installed it stays on, however, the light won't come on at all with the stock flasher.

#7 10 years ago

The standard circuit requires a low impedance load (the original flasher bulb) to properly operate and a flash LED is high impedance. So, if you put a single 1/2 watt 100-1k resistor across one of the flasher LEDs, then the circuit will work correctly. The LEDs are so efficient, that they will still light with a fraction of the current even though most of it is being consumed by the bypass resistor.

So yes, you do need the resistor for it to work.

1 year later
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Do you have a photo of this? Do the legs of the resistor go one on each of the contacts for the lamp socket? And for a flasher circuit with two lamps in series, do this to just the first one or both?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flasher-problemquestion-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.