harness1.jpg
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_2023.JPG
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Well I dove into this thing head first last night! I got most of the topside parts stripped off and have most of the metal pieces in the tumbler right now. Probably going to put some more time in this weekend and start the topside assembly on the new playfield. Here are my teardown pics so far in case any of you guys want to follow my progress:
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/appetite4pinball/Flash%20Gordon%20Playfield%20Swap/

Here are also pics of the new CPR playfield. -I also have new pf plastics, drops, etc. to install:
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/appetite4pinball/Flash%20Gordon%20Playfield/

This is my first PF swap and definitely the most difficult project I've taken on. I'm really not looking forward to doing the underside of the playfield at all.-especially stapling and soldering on all of the wire sockets and braid wire!

fg1.jpgfg1.jpg fg2.jpgfg2.jpg fg3.jpgfg3.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Sweet
CPR did a real nice job with this repro

I am sure you will love your game when you are finished
(I know I will)

#3 12 years ago

Nice! I know what you mean about the underside. It looks like it would be pretty intimidating.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

This is my first PF swap and definitely the most difficult project I've taken on.

Ditto for me when I did my Firepower playfield swap. If you take a TON of pictures along the way - it will go back together easier than you thought. And let me tell you, the difference in gameplay you will see from a new CPR playfield is AMAZING. Sure, I expected it to be smoother, and a bit faster - but I didn't expect it to be THAT fast. ...I could not get the smile off my face after the first game on the new playfield.

#5 12 years ago

Excited to see this progress Mike!

#6 12 years ago

I managed to make some more progress on my swap this afternoon. During the week I tumbled the metal parts and painted the playfield rails black. Today I installed the rails as well as connected the two playfields together.-It was a bit nerve racking drilling holes in a brand new playfield as many of the holes were not marked. I also spent at least an hour getting the clear out of the rollover switches.-What a PITA!-Does anyone know of an efficient way to do that. I also managed to move over and clean a few of the assemblies. Overall I'm happy with the progress made today, but I've hardly scratched the surface of how much work there is to do!

IMG_1919.JPGIMG_1919.JPG IMG_1921.JPGIMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPGIMG_1922.JPG

#7 12 years ago

With playfield rails installed.

IMG_1925.JPGIMG_1925.JPG IMG_1947.JPGIMG_1947.JPG IMG_1952.JPGIMG_1952.JPG

#8 12 years ago

Wow, I had no idea you'd have to do any drilling and that sucks about the clearcoat in the rollovers too. Oofta

#9 12 years ago

Yeah, hardly anything is pre-drilled. Most things are marked with a faint dot where you are supposed to drill, but not everything is. Also, not all of the dots are 100% accurate. I'm just taking my time to make sure I don't mess anything up!

I'm still waiting on some parts to get here and I also need to place an order with Pinball Resource because I decided to replace all of the light sockets because most of them are corroded and many of them are flaky as is. -I also need pop bumper nails.Once I get the sockets I can start stapling on the ground wire and start soldering away!

I attached a pic of the underside to show the little bit of progress that was made.

IMG_1953.JPGIMG_1953.JPG

#10 12 years ago

Looks great with the ramps installed

+1 to replacing all the lamp sockets, biggest pain of these older games is the lamps not making good contact witht the sockets

#11 12 years ago

looking GREAT!

#12 12 years ago

Man that looks nice, I had no idea these were done. Bummer on the drilling, I wasn't expecting that either.

I preordered a long time ago but haven't heard anything from CPR yet, should I contact them about it? I don't know how they operate, am I just low on the list of preorders and they are still filling them?

#13 12 years ago

Largemann,
If you pre-ordered the playfield, CPR was supposed to contact you by email before March 25th. I would send them an email to see if they still have any left? Maybe the email got caught in your spam filter? Good luck, I hope you're able to get one!

Mike

#14 12 years ago

Looks amazing. Man this game is fast when pristine. Hope you like draining the ball. =-)

So simple but challenging and fun when perfect.

#15 11 years ago

Thanks guys! I spent this morning and early afternoon disassembling and cleaning all the mech's with Bleche White and a toothbrush. I installed the new drop targets and installed most of the mechs on the underside of the the new playfield. I'm going to wait on installing the 3 large drop target mechs til the end because I figured they would likely get in the way when I solder in the lights and switches.

I'm likely done working on this for at least a few days as I wait to acquire parts. I'm quite pleased with my progress over the weekend!

IMG_1985.JPGIMG_1985.JPG IMG_1986.JPGIMG_1986.JPG IMG_1987.JPGIMG_1987.JPG

#16 11 years ago

Lookin' good!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I managed to make some more progress on my swap this afternoon. During the week I tumbled the metal parts and painted the playfield rails black. Today I installed the rails as well as connected the two playfields together.-It was a bit nerve racking drilling holes in a brand new playfield as many of the holes were not marked. I also spent at least an hour getting the clear out of the rollover switches.-What a PITA!-Does anyone know of an efficient way to do that. I also managed to move over and clean a few of the assemblies. Overall I'm happy with the progress made today, but I've hardly scratched the surface of how much work there is to do!

Attachments IMG_1922.JPG (337.9 KB, 0 downloads) 20 hours old IMG_1921.JPG (179.7 KB, 0 downloads) 20 hours old IMG_1919.JPG (197.2 KB, 0 downloads) 20 hours old

If you need to know any shortcuts or info, maybe contact Jim (Honda). He is an unbelievable talent at this sort of thing. Always good to learn from the best.

#18 11 years ago

Looking good, really thorough. I'm curious if you're logging your hours for this? I'd like to know how long something like this would take.

#19 11 years ago

Trust me, Mike will not want to know how long it takes

A job like this should only be measured in love for the game and knowledge gained.

#20 11 years ago

Looks great Mike. First time checking out the post and looks like you have made a ton of progress. Think its a great idea getting all new light sockets. Excited to see this in person when its completed.

Keep the pics coming and best of luck!

Quoted from spfxted:

maybe contact Jim (Honda). He is an unbelievable talent at this sort of thing.

You should print new wrappers for the coils...

#21 11 years ago

The only thing I can add to this is advice and I would do the lights first , You don't want to have all those assemblies in the way when you are stapling the wires to the pf .

This is a link to some pictures of a centaur I did a while back .

https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/CentaurGroundBraid?authkey=Gv1sRgCLvj5d_MosvQBg

Looks like you are doing a fine job !

Jim

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Looking good, really thorough. I'm curious if you're logging your hours for this? I'd like to know how long something like this would take.

I don't have an official log for the hours, but I've probably put about 15 hrs. into it so far over the past week. I'd anticipate that it will probably take me 40-50 hours to complete it but that's a total guess. I just hope everything works when I get it back in the cabinet!

Quoted from PaulyB18:

Looks great Mike. First time checking out the post and looks like you have made a ton of progress. Think its a great idea getting all new light sockets. Excited to see this in person when its completed.
Keep the pics coming and best of luck!
spfxted said:maybe contact Jim (Honda). He is an unbelievable talent at this sort of thing.
You should print new wrappers for the coils...

Thanks Paul! Custom coil wraps would look nice, and I may indeed look into using them.

Quoted from McCune:

The only thing I can add to this is advice and I would do the lights first , You don't want to have all those assemblies in the way when you are stapling the wires to the pf .
https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/CentaurGroundBraid?authkey=Gv1sRgCLvj5d_MosvQBg
Jim

Jim, I've been following your work for a while and you really do incredible work! I'm impressed with your setup as well as how quickly you can do a swap. This is my first swap and I appreciate your input. I haven't screwed down the 3 big drop assemblies for the reason you mentioned, and the other assemblies are not screwed down tight so I suppose I can take them off if they get in the way.

I do have a couple questions though from when you did the Centaur. First off, Did you prep the bulb sockets by sanding the tabs or applying some type of flux before soldering the braid on? I just want to make sure the solder sticks well to the new lamp sockets that I ordered.

Also, what did you use to clean out the star rollovers? I used a scalpel to clean out the extra clear but they still seem a bit "tight" in comparison to the originals. I'm just worried that they'll get stuck during gameplay and I'm actually going to order some extra star rollovers and may re-do them. Thanks!

-Mike

#23 11 years ago

The Solder should flow onto the lamp sockets with out sanding . I reused my lamp sockets on the Centaur .

The clear in the rollovers is complete bull crap . I used mini files and picks and razor blades.. CPR need to fix this issue as too much liability is put on the end user .

Jim

#24 11 years ago

Thanks Jim,
I made the mistake of snapping in the star inserts too soon after only doing a minimal amount of picking and scraping with the scalpel/dental pick. I'm just going to cut them (i don't want to risk breaking the insert) out and install new, but make sure that I do a better job of getting all the clear out this time around. Yeah, CPR definitely needs to do a better job at fixing this issue or at least ship you a bunch of the star inserts so that you have some extras to work with. I mean these things shouldn't cost more than a dime a piece to produce.

Mike

#25 11 years ago

Thats gonna be tit, man I'm jealous

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Jim

Jim - where did you get new ground braid for your Centaur?

Thanks
Chris

#27 11 years ago

I've had a busy week and haven't been able to work on the swap much until today. I'm still waiting on my lamp sockets to arrive so I figured I would start putting on the metal ball guide rails, ramps, and playfield posts. I polished/regrained all the metal parts earlier this week and had the plastic posts soaking in detergent all week. I used a brad tipped drill bit to pre-drill many of the holes on the top-side of the playfield to make it easier to screw the posts in.

IMG_1990.JPGIMG_1990.JPG IMG_1991.JPGIMG_1991.JPG IMG_1992.JPGIMG_1992.JPG

#28 11 years ago

Close up pics

IMG_1993.JPGIMG_1993.JPG IMG_1994.JPGIMG_1994.JPG IMG_1995.JPGIMG_1995.JPG

#29 11 years ago

Looks great! You're doing a fantastic job with all the little details. It should be better than new when you're done.

#30 11 years ago

Damn, that's sexy. Wish I had got my Flash Gordon in time for the CPR pre-orders... Ah well. I still have fun playing it though.

#31 11 years ago

looks great Mike!

#32 11 years ago

Looks awesome, Mike! Can't wait to see it completed!

#33 11 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to have to have all of the Madison crew over to play it once it's complete.

On another note, I just purchased a Centaur CPR playfield from a nice gentleman over on RGP so it looks like I'll have a 2nd pf swap to keep me busy once this one's done -I may end up waiting until Winter for that one though.

#34 11 years ago

I ended up taking a vacation day today and spent the majority of the day working on the swap. I installed the other two pop bumpers, the spinners which I painted and applied decals to and I got the majority of my new lamp sockets installed on the underside as well as most of the ground braid soldered on.

IMG_2021.JPGIMG_2021.JPG IMG_2022.JPGIMG_2022.JPG

#35 11 years ago

More pics

IMG_2023.JPGIMG_2023.JPG IMG_1997.JPGIMG_1997.JPG

#36 11 years ago

Vacation days for pinball, love it! Can't wait to see this in person! Grats on the Centaur playfield.

#37 11 years ago

Looking good. Now I've got that Queen song stuck in my head

#38 11 years ago

Do you need a special stapler to install the supply wire?

#39 11 years ago

Nice job! I never played this game. I hope they have one in Allentown!

#40 11 years ago

Thanks guys. Craig, i have a little 3 gallon air compressor and just used a cheap $15 air stapler that I bought from Menards along with 1/4" staples. It works really well. The only difficulty is sometimes getting the stapler into tight areas on the playfield. Mine doesn't have the long nose on it like the one on the pinrestore.com website but for the money I can't complain.

#41 11 years ago

Looking good !!

Jim

#42 11 years ago

Today I worked on getting the harness moved from the old playfield onto the new one. I labeled most everything and used a pencil on the new playfield to write notes on what goes where such as wire colors, etc. The harness held it's shape pretty good for the move and I managed to get everything lined up and in the correct spots. Soldering everything back in and cleaning switches and screwing things down is tedious work but I managed to get about 1/3rd of the way through it. This is definitely the part of the swap that I'm having the least amount of fun with, but hopefully I'll be able to complete all the soldering by next weekend.

I also vacuumed out the cabinet of my game and did some cleaning/touchup on the cabinet throughout the week. I still have more to do and also have a new coin door skin to install but I should have the cabinet nearly ready to go (sans the new legs). I also have a handful of miscellaneous parts that I need to order and I may end up rebuilding my flippers with the older Bally style (non-linear) flipper mechs. I'm hoping to complete the project within the next couple weeks because i'm getting really anxious to play it!

IMG_2071.JPGIMG_2071.JPG IMG_2068.JPGIMG_2068.JPG IMG_2070.JPGIMG_2070.JPG

#43 11 years ago

more pics

IMG_2066.JPGIMG_2066.JPG IMG_2072.JPGIMG_2072.JPG

#44 11 years ago

Where are you getting the braid from?

#45 11 years ago

I got the bare wire (braid) from pinrestore.com
http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

I ordered 30 ft. but it probably took less than 20 for the job.

#46 11 years ago

Mike, I think you need to take another day of PTO and finish this up

#47 11 years ago

I think you may be right Hilton It's tough to find enough time to complete such a tedious job! I suppose if you want some practice soldering you could come help me out

#48 11 years ago

Happy to help Mike!

Just let me know a time and I will come with Hakko in hand. Working on pins is always fun in my book!

I am pretty good on regular stuff but practice is always good.
I would not be comfortable with board work on your machine but anything else is easy cheesy.

#49 11 years ago

Thanks for the offer Hilton! I may take you up on that. I enjoy the work as well, but extra help is always appreciated. If you're free on Sunday maybe we could work on it for a few hours and then play some pinball? Just let me know.

#50 11 years ago

Sunday works for me. Just shoot me an email with a time and your address again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-pf-swap-has-begun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.