Flash Gordon drain coil not working. Game won't end.

Started 2 years ago by All_Hail_Ming in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Flash Gordon drain coil not working. Game won't end.

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by All_Hail_Ming
  • 4 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from JDawg

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Hello again. Here is the second problem I'm having with my FG pinball. The Outhole Kicker won't kick out the ball and Left Out Lane switch doesn't recognize any roll over, even after cleaning and adjusting the switch.

When the ball drains, and the game play is supposed to be over, it just sits there and acts like it's still in play. The ball will roll into the drain and sit on the coil and switch, but not end the game play.

I've tried cleaning up the connection tab, checking the coil and switch, but no luck. Even if I try to manually flick the switch, nothing.

The Outhole Kicker coil is good, but that is as far as I can go with it.

Any ideas here? I can't remember the tests for this issue. Thanks.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Have you check all fuses? Take them out and check continuity with a mm

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

First put game into switch diagnostic mode and test the switches...Any that don't register you have either a bad switch or bad wire or a broken diode...To test which, with game still in diagnostic, short the two wires together on the switch in question...does it register then? You can use a piece of jumper wire or a flat blade screw driver between two switch lugs with wires on them....Careful don't touch anything else while you're under there with power on. You can also test the diode....With game off, put your meter on diode test. Put black lead on banded end, red on non banded. Make the switch. You should see .6V on your meter.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

I checked the fuzes. All good. I put it in test mode and the coil 01 (outhole kicker) works. It kicks out the ball every time. I also put it in switch test mode and 0 come up bad.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

When I'm still in switch test mode, the switch doesn't seem to matter. I can open or close it manually and the system doesn't see either.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

OK, I found it. The problem was on the MPU. Bad cable connection in the J2 connector. Reseated them and it works.

I taped down the one of the known bad switches, opened the back box, wiggled the wires on the MPU and there it was. The J2 connector is where both those switches landed.

So, why does something like this happen? Works fine, never gets moved around, then cuts out?

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Still can't explain why the right slingshot coil doesn't work though.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

The connectors oxidize over time....The mechanical tension of the connectors loose their hold over time...Vibration of the machine loosens things and cracks solder joints. It's just the nature of the beast.

2 years ago
    #

Thanks for all the info. I have the same problem I will let you know if this fixes it for me. For me it's an intermittent problem that comes and goes.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple