Fish Tales, ridiculous points.

Started 2 years ago by Thunderpants in forum PlayingPlaying tips.

Forum » Playing » Playing tips » Topic

Fish Tales, ridiculous points.

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by Thunderpants
  • 9 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Thunderpants

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Hi All,
    First post on this forum.
    I recently bought a Fish Tales in nice condition, it looks great in my little bar and i have so much fun with it on quiet nights.
    Since my Japanese customers don't have much experience with pinball, i have set it to very easy level, and the first extra ball at only 15 mil.
    I noticed that when earning your first extra ball by doing the stretch the truth shot, i get ridiculous score, somewhere between 300 and 600 mil. Is this a software bug? a hidden feature or some setting i can't figure out how to get rid of?

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

You may find this helpful:

http://www.pinball.org/rules/fishtales.html

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Huh? That doesn't make sense.

Stretch the truth (far left shot) has nothing to do with getting an extra ball.

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Sorry i'll try to explain myself better,
    if i have f.x 14 mill points, just below my extra ball award, and then break 15 mill by doing stretch the truth, then my machine awards me with 300 to 600 mill points.
    I have read the rules and there is nothing to suggest a hidden bonus like that. im just puzzled.
    Thanks for the replies anyway

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Oh ok, something is wrong there for sure. Most people can't even get 600million on Fishtales, let alone all at once...

Maybe your spinner switch has issues. What does is say when it gives you those points...

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

It just awards me 4 extra balls (extra balls are set to 15, 55, 140, 210mill) tells me how much my fish is stretched, and the game goes on. it doesn't say anything about any bonus, jackpot or anything else. I have a 804 mill highscore now, which is nice and all but...
    Software is 50005 rev L 04. i wonder if i buy a new rom would solve the problem

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

That is a problem! I have had 100's of games on mine and have yet to score over 200 million in a 3 ball game!

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

I guess it's a software thing. Updating it would be difficult? any suggestions on where to buy a rom?
    BTW i did 400 mill in an "honest 3 ball game" yesterday

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

There are ROMs available all over for about 10 bucks. Here's one: http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/wpc.html

Or if you ask nicely maybe a pinsider with a programmer can make you one for the cost of the chip plus shipping.

The L-5 version is the latest, which is what I have.

I've had my FT for 4-1/2 years and I've only broken 500M once.

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

My best is 1.7billion on my machine, 3 balls, and lightning flips. But I've played it alot, and I know my machine inside and out Got to Super Jackpot twice in the same game, on the 2nd go around I hit that captive ball a good few times

Updating is simple, you just pop out a rom, and pop in a new one. John is a great guy:
    http://www.pinballroms.com/

Are you sure it's software related?

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

I've broken 500 many many times I've had mine for about 2-3years

Bowen just did a good tut on Fishtales, check it out at...http://tiltwarning.com/blog/

There isn't really much strategy. Shoot locks, shoot jackpots. That's how I've gotten all my big highscores. Once you master those 2 shots, you can really rack up the Supers...

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

I've broken 500 many many times I've had mine for about 2-3years

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Thanks I know....

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Ahh thanks for all the replies, so happy i found you guys,
    Working with computers for many years i just figured that it looks like a classic software bug. i can't think of any mechanical reasons why it would award me with so many points and not telling me why (display some kind of bonus) I'll bleed 10 bucks for a new rom and see what happens.
    EDIT
    would the CPU Eprom U6 Version L-2 listed in http://www.pinballroms.com/eproms/wpc.html be the one?

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    Thunderpants said:

would the CPU Eprom U6 Version L-2 listed in http://www.pinballroms.com/eproms/wpc.html be the one?

No, you want L-5, which is the most current. Also be careful when you take the old ROM out if you don't want to destroy it. Pry gently with a small screwdriver on each end and try to lift it evenly or you will bend the pins. Then again, maybe you don't care if you destroy it.

I also am skeptical that such a bug could exist in any released version of the software.

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    GoneFishinLvMsg said:

I also am skeptical that such a bug could exist in any released version of the software

Me too, but it's good practice to eliminate the easiest sources of errors first

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    GoneFishinLvMsg said:

I also am skeptical that such a bug could exist in any released version of the software.

I dunno... an extra ball award at 15M is a pretty unusual setting (though it makes sense in this case) so I'm not surprised that a bug like that could go unnoticed.

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

i forgot to add that it's only possible on your first ball.
    The machine has been sitting in Tokyo until April of this year, maybe it got radiated

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    Shapeshifter said:

That is a problem! I have had 100's of games on mine and have yet to score over 200 million in a 3 ball game!

I'm with you. After 3 yrs in the hobby, this is one of the few games that never left. I just love it and the challenge. I have read the strategey guide on how to score big points, but I never ruin a game by trying to exploit it. In my way of playing, I've only broke 200 million twice, and have yet to get to master deep sea mutiball..

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

There is a such thing as bit rot, where old ROM chips do lose their original programming. 10 years is enough for it to set in, and Fish Tales is a ~20 year old game. I think this is a longshot possibility of what's happening here, but buying a new chip isn't a bad idea.

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Here's a video of me playing, it's pretty hard to play calm when the camera is recording haha

» YouTube video

Also some videos on my page of some of my other pins I've had or have...

I will do one of my Shadow, once I get better at it, it's a TOUGH game just like Fishtales and Dracula are as well...

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Tomdotcom,
    Beautiful machine, nice ball control. i like how you keep it cool during multiball. I like your lighting on the machine too, the stretch the truth colors are cool. the playfield seems to be in good shape too.
    What are those colored light under the machines?

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

It's just a few strips of LED's. They come with a remote control, you can change to like 20 different colors, fading, strobing, etcetc...

Here's what the remote looks like....

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Hey Thunderpants why dont you try setting the game up on the most difficult setting and see if it still scores mega points?

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    HELLODEADCITY said:

Hey Thunderpants why dont you try setting the game up on the most difficult setting and see if it still scores mega points?

Good idea!, but i'd have to take the glass off and manipulate the switches by hand, im not that good!
    i ordered a new rom today from pinballroms.com. a good choice regardless, but no shipping fee? even to japan?

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    Thunderpants said:

but i'd have to take the glass off and manipulate the switches by hand,

Huh? You should only have to open the coin door to get to the diagnostic switches and adjust the settings. Have you looked at the user manual? If not, you can download it here: http://www.ipdb.org/files/861/Williams_1992_Fish_Tales_English_Manual.pdf

2 years, 10 months ago
    #
    GoneFishinLvMsg said:

Huh? You should only have to open the coin door to get to the diagnostic switches and adjust the settings. Have you looked at the user manual? If not, you can download it here: http://www.ipdb.org/files/861/Williams_1992_Fish_Tales_English_Manual.pdf

To replicate the error by getting the exact score that gives me all the points, not to adjust the settings. i am familiar with the OS.
    I doubt i can reach 99 mill with my first ball, and then catch a fish and do the stretch the truth. im not that good

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

OK, I see what you mean now. It only happens when you hit stretch the truth and gain an EB at the same time then. Please let us know if the new ROM fixes it. This is a head-scratcher for sure!

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Of course i will post the results, i would have tested my machine with factory defaults settings tonight, but unfortunately i had guests at the bar

2 years, 10 months ago
    #

Got my rom today, problem still there.
    i get awarded less points now 100-200 mill but it's a little annoying.
    Calling out to FT owners: will someone please test their machine for similar behavior as posted above?
    Thanks a lot!

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple