(Topic ID: 13328)

First look: Tron ramp protectors!

By Cliffy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0755.jpg
    images.jpeg
    tron_ramp_broken.jpg
    DSC_0270.JPG
    DSC_0269.JPG
    DSC_0268.JPG
    2012-03-02_09.13.35.jpg
    tony-broke-tron2.jpg
    tony-broke-tron1.jpg
    Melikey.jpeg
    9-tron-ramps-color7.jpg
    9-tron-ramps-color5.jpg
    9-tron-ramps-color4.jpg
    9-tron-ramps-color3.jpg
    9-tron-ramps-color2.jpg
    9-tron-ramps-color1.jpg
    There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

Drilled a hole.

that seems kind of drastic. Is that the only way? Cliffy care to weigh in?

#152 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Ok, having a "duh" moment here.. got my cliffys today (yes!) but seems my pro left ramp doesnt have a hole for the left ramp protector to use the zip tie (oops). Does anyone else have a pro without the hole and how did you attach it? I was thinking double sided tape rather than drilling a hole? Thanks..

I used these they worked great.
    Glue Dashes.
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/uglu-dashes-roll-793380/

#153 11 years ago

You know, I was going to drill anyways for some EL wire. This is a good place to start. Drill baby, drill

#154 11 years ago
    Quoted from worldofglenn:

You know, I was going to drill anyways for some EL wire. This is a good place to start. Drill baby, drill

I used these for my EL wire they worked great.
    Glue Dashes.

#155 11 years ago

+1 on glue dots if they in-fact work well. Way better than drilling and potentially screwing up your ramps.

#156 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

that seems kind of drastic. Is that the only way? Cliffy care to weigh in?

Not drastic at all. Thats how ALL ramp protectors, switches, brackets and such are mounted. The LE has a hole there for a zip tie to hold the fiber optics so you Pro owners should really do the same thing thing; drill baby, drill You may use a #6 screw if you like or the zip tie I included (to replace the one you have to snip on the LE) If using a screw drill with a #36 bit. If using the tie drill with #30.

Now that I'm back from PAGG I'm back to notifying folks on the list and filling the orders again. Hang in there folks. Allllmmmooossst there

#157 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Yeah quality work there. Given that its such a fast game I would have expected the ramps to break eventually without these protectors

I've received quite a few pics pretty much starting weeks after Tron was released showing cracks and total chunks blown out. Anthony sent me these pics from his game back in November. OUCH!

Attachments tony-broke-tron2.jpg (121.5 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old tony-broke-tron1.jpg (171.3 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old

That's really poor!

#158 11 years ago

I'm only on day 2 of play and there is a divet in my ramp where the ball hit. Hurry Cliffy!

Tron is now off the grid until I get those protectors.

#159 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Nope!

Just PM him to see if he has any left JPP. (Or, can possibly make more?)
    I know it's not a perfect system but it sure beats an exposed wooden lip!
    Steel > Wood...

Attachments IMG_0755.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 downloads) 2 days old

I tacked one of these onto my ramp protector order as well. I'm willing to live with a ball hang-up or two to keep my outhole minty fresh. Thanks Cliff! I'm watching the mail box every day

#160 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I'm willing to live with a ball hang-up or two to keep my outhole minty fresh. Thanks Cliff! I'm watching the mail box every day

That just sounds very wrong

#161 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Drano said:
    I'm willing to live with a ball hang-up or two to keep my outhole minty fresh. Thanks Cliff! I'm watching the mail box every day

That just sounds very wrong

Hey man,not as wrong as a beat up outhole LOL!!!

#162 11 years ago

I had to see where this epic thread had run off to and what do you know, I can add something.

If you're drilling your ramps (or any plastic for that matter), best to use a drill bit designed for plastic.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/plastic_tools_supplies/tap_plasdrill_bits/161
    (link on page gives recommended RPM's for each size)

The dude at the plastic store explained to me how the (metal) plastic bits scrape rather than cut the plastic. They cut much smoother than wood or metal bits. Cleaner holes with no burrs. Great for making your own plastic protectors too. Although they're a little more expensive than regular bits, they'll last a hell of a lot longer. They only have to cut plastic.

#163 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If you're drilling your ramps (or any plastic for that matter), best to use a drill bit designed for plastic

Very good tip, Mike. I make my own plastic drilling bits from standard fluted bits. You have to grind the tip to a severe angled point. They don't scrape cut like metal bits, they more like melt their way through till the flutes hit and then they cut. Much less chance of cracking. I would imagine Stern uses brad point bits to drill the ramps though. Much cleaner hole than plastic bits.

#164 11 years ago

Recieved and installed my protectors. Thanks Cliffy!

#165 11 years ago

Me want me cliffy's

#166 11 years ago

Got mine today! Thanks Cliff.

I installed the Flynn hole protector right away. I really appreciated the little piece of Mylar to help prevent hang-ups.
    Now I'm just waiting for my LE ramps from PBL to come in next week for my EL wire mod. The ramp protectors will go on those.

Fantastic!

#167 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Yeah quality work there. Given that its such a fast game I would have expected the ramps to break eventually without these protectors

I've received quite a few pics pretty much starting weeks after Tron was released showing cracks and total chunks blown out. Anthony sent me these pics from his game back in November. OUCH!

Attachments tony-broke-tron2.jpg (121.5 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old tony-broke-tron1.jpg (171.3 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old

Ouchhh! I have older games with far less ramp damage.

#168 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Now I'm just waiting for my LE ramps from PBL to come in next week for my EL wire mod. The ramp protectors will go on those.

What are the LE ramps from PBL ??
    Where did you get your EL wire mod ??

#169 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Ramps
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2422&parent=294
    EL wire
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-tron-pro/page/4

I used Glue Dashes to hold my EL wires it has been working fine for a few weeks so far.
    UGlu dashes partnumber: MTR650

Not as intrusive tie wraps.

#170 11 years ago

asnatlas, in the EL wire thread that pinballlooking mentions above, on the last page of the thread coasterguy has a final detailed set of instructions to do his project. If you order your el wire from coolight.com, you can copy & paste his instructions for coolight to arrange all the wiring and parts together just as you need them. Well thought out by coasterguy. Easy to install once you get it.

#171 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Drano said:Now I'm just waiting for my LE ramps from PBL to come in next week for my EL wire mod. The ramp protectors will go on those.

I figured (like CoasterGuy) that I would rather spend a few bucks more and buy pre-drilled LE ramps so I don't have to modify my stock pro ramps.
    Terry at Pinball Life only shows the left ramp on his site, but if you order 2 (and send him a note) he actually has the right one as well.

As pointed out above, you can get EL wire from coolwire.com. CoasterGuy outlines exactly what to order. I had them alter the setup a bit for me so that I could individually control each wire using a PIG. When it arrives, I'll just plug the wire directly into that and I can trigger it with lamps or switches so its more interactive. I spent the last week talking to eh guys at coolight and they were able to wire 3-pin molex connectors to the inverter's power so that each inverter can easily be plugged right into one of the 4 outputs on the PIG.

http://www.dkpinball.com/DKWP/?page_id=181

Kim from Kimball's Pinballs is also working on a cool variation that is sound controlled and it also integrates pretty well with the game. I don't think he's selling them yet.

Lastly, you can possibly hold out until ecurtz is done experimenting with his fiber optic wire mod. It will be waaaay more expensive, but the look will be much more similar to the LE, and it will have similar color changing properties.
    I suspect I may be pretty happy with the dedicated orange and blue wire for now.

Sorry to get off-topic.
    The Cliffy's are GREAT!!!

#172 11 years ago

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys

I have a TRON machine coming in a few weeks and would love to get the ramps "updated". That was the main thing I loved about the TRON LE Machine.

#173 11 years ago

Thanks CLiff!! Got mine the other day. Now where did I put that drill bit ment for plastics??

#174 11 years ago

Installed mine over the weekend and they are perfect! pretty easy to install on the pro. I also changed out my flipper rubber to orange and man it looks bad ass! goes great with the lighting and seems to have a good glow to it with the cointaker frosted blues.

#175 11 years ago

heh nimble.... i also ordered the ramp protectors and the scoop too. i installed the ramp protectors and they are awesome (thanks cliff).

just curious how the install is on the scoop protector and are there many hang ups? im thinking protecting the hole is > than a few random ball hangups

Quoted from NimblePin:

Nope!

Just PM him to see if he has any left JPP. (Or, can possibly make more?)
    I know it's not a perfect system but it sure beats an exposed wooden lip!
    Steel > Wood...

Attachments IMG_0755.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 downloads) 1 week old

#176 11 years ago

Great job Cliffy! I just installed the protectors, and they look and work great! Keep up the good work!

Todd

#177 11 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Me want me cliffy's

Here Here. I am currently refusing to let anyone play my machine until my protectors are in.

#178 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Here Here. I am currently refusing to let anyone play my machine until my protectors are in

I had some old protectors from another pin and used those until the better looking ones came in from cliffy.
    Just use some glue Dashes to attach them.

#179 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Here Here. I am currently refusing to let anyone play my machine until my protectors are in.

I might have a bunch of people over next week to play and was hoping to get mine by then. Im nervous.

#180 11 years ago

Patiently waiting for my turn to come around....

#181 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

Glue dots.

The product is UGlu Dashes Roll MTR650

#182 11 years ago

Got 'em. Thanks Cliffy.

Quoted from pinballlooking:

Glue dots.

Nice and clean idea for those who don't want to drill.

1 week later
    #183 11 years ago

They are Acid-Free and work well.
    I should have called them Glue Dashes I corrected my other post.
    Because the brand glue dots do not work at all.

But UGlu Dashes Roll Part Number:MTR650 these are great!

#184 11 years ago

OK, I installed my ramp protectors this week and Ill say...the soldering iron option works amazingly well. I used a pointed bit and lined up the ramp protector and plunged in the hole ever so gently and slowly. I kept the hole just tiny enough that the zip tie fit in tightly. It works, and it looks flawless and its my recommended technique for this.

The glue dashes Ill probably check out once I settle on a EL wire solution.

#185 11 years ago

Cliffy, any updates on how far down the wait list you've made it? Just don't want to email you every week if you're still working on it

#186 11 years ago

Not to jump the gun or anything . . . but anyone know when Cliffy will open the wait list for XMen?

#187 11 years ago

to Cliffy & others, a small feedback :

one little thing to say about the protectors & how they "fit" compare to the original gameplay

before, on the left ramp, when i was to weak to climb it, the back ball was OK, with only few drains right in the middle

now, with the (left side) protector, it didnt match the small curve/angle of the ramp, as the metal is of course perfectly flat, and quite always, back ball on that ramp = middle drain

what i did : just lightly curve the protector to match the ramp curve (simple as that huh), and the gamplay is back as before...

this happend on MY pinball, with MY settings
    than, take this for information, and of course dont blame me if you damage your protector

a good day to evbd

#188 11 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

what i did : just lightly curve the protector to match the ramp curve (simple as that huh), and the gamplay is back as before...

Yes if there is a curve in your ramps you'll need to massage the protector by pulling it between your fingers applying just enough pressure for a gentle curve. On the Tron LE I have here only the right ramp has a curve. The left ramp sides are pretty damn straight.

#189 11 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

Cliffy, any updates on how far down the wait list you've made it?

As of today, 16 June, there are only 14 people left in the list! YAY!

#190 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Yes if there is a curve in your ramps you'll need to massage the protector by pulling it between your fingers applying just enough pressure for a gentle curve. On the TRON LE I have here only the right ramp has a curve. The left ramp sides are pretty damn straight.

yep, when i said left ramp, its the left entry to the right ramp...

++

#191 11 years ago

Cliffy,

I finally got all of your ramp protectors and your "new" scoop protector installed...they work flawlessly!!! No hangups at all on the scoop and I don't cringe everytime I try and hit a ramp shot hoping the thing won't shatter!!! Great stuff!!! Thanks again!!!

Rick

#192 11 years ago
    Quoted from rkelley17:

Cliffy,

I finally got all of your ramp protectors and your "new" scoop protector installed...they work flawlessly!!! No hangups at all on the scoop and I don't cringe everytime I try and hit a ramp shot hoping the thing won't shatter!!! Great stuff!!! Thanks again!!!

Rick

You're more than welcome, Rick. Thanks to you and everyone who waited patiently through proto to production stage. The wait list is officially completed and all who waited so patiently should now have their protectors in hand, or better yet, installed!

Enjoy!

#193 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

The wait list is officially completed and all who waited so patiently should now have their protectors in hand, or better yet, installed!

Arggggggggh, that's what I feared. I never heard back from ya so I don't have mine

#194 11 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

Arggggggggh, that's what I feared. I never heard back from ya so I don't have mine

Sorry about that Art. So far it seems you're the only one that slipped through the cracks. You're speshul! Gotcha taken care of though, thanks again! If anyone else was on the list but feels I didn't get back to them, first check your spam folders and secondly hit me up again but on my [email protected] email.

#195 11 years ago

You're the best at what you do so I wear my speshul badge with pride!

#196 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Nice Cliffy, I passed this topic on to my buddy that owns the LE...

Same! Nice work, Cliffy.

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

1 week later
    #197 11 years ago

Okay, my Cliffy order came with what looks to be a scoop protector and it says Version 2 on the little baggie. I saw the older thread the issue with the Cliffy scoop protector was it had ball hang ups? Was that issue solved with Version 2 or should I install the Mantis?

Pinball_is_Great and I are messing around on my Tron now so I'm trying to figure out if we should install the Mantis protector of the Version 2 Cliffy...I have both here. Thanks.

#198 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Okay, my Cliffy order came with what looks to be a scoop protector and it says Version 2 on the little baggie. I saw the older thread the issue with the Cliffy scoop protector was it had ball hang ups? Was that issue solved with Version 2 or should I install the Mantis?
    Pinball_is_Great and I are messing around on my Tron now so I'm trying to figure out if we should install the Mantis protector of the Version 2 Cliffy...I have both here. Thanks.

Version 2 fixes the ball hangups. I have it installed in my Tron Pro and love it!!!

#199 11 years ago
    Quoted from rkelley17:

Version 2 fixes the ball hangups. I have it installed in my Tron Pro and love it!!!

We got it installed. Adding a few of the other add ons then we shall smack a few balls around on it and see how it goes.

#200 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Okay, my Cliffy order came with what looks to be a scoop protector and it says Version 2

Ooops! Did you not request it in your order? Sorry! I have been known to make mistakes on orders

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-look-tron-ramp-protectors/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.