First look: Tron ramp protectors!

Started 2 years ago by Cliffy in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

First look: Tron ramp protectors!

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by Cliffy
  • 85 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Shapeshifter

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    gambit3113 said:

I need these when available, as well.

Please email me at crinear at comcast dot net as thats where I keep my order hold folder

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

I think you meant best lookin' Pete but cool will do

Well played Cliff, well played!

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Yep! I'm in for a set too! Don't give up on the scoop hole protector though! Great work

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JonM said:

Seems to be the way since Avatar I think, no protectors on pros but protectors on LEs

Cliffy, any chance you'll be putting together some protectors for Avatar?

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    SunKing said:

Cliffy, any chance you'll be putting together some protectors for Avatar?

If it needs them and I have access to a game I'll make 'em

2 years ago
    #

hi Cliffy,

again, a "nice & more than needed" protection...
    again, something STERN should have placed themselves, almost on the LE

btw, to let you know (...), i have this kind of protection on the ramp of my NBA, and this did not prevent the plastic to be broken anyway (not completly), almost, it remain "in place", and thats better than nothing of course (else i suppose it would have been 100% broken)

we should order few pieces for Belgium TRONers

++

2 years ago
    #
    RipleYYY said:

we should order few pieces for Belgium TRONers

Thanks! I believe I have 5 or 6 Belgians in the wait list now. I agree with all your points too. As to the wrap around protectr style on two of them there was nothing else that could be done short of drilling the playfield to add posts. I think we both know how many owners would be willing to do that

2 years ago
    #

Is there a scoop protector in the works?

2 years ago
    #
    Shadow said:

Is there a scoop protector in the works?

After tons of testing by myself and others with the "test" cliffy scoop protector, the ball was hanging up on the edge of the protector. We tried all sorts of things including stacking layers of mylar up to the edge of the protector but in the end it started to look crappy and it still wasn't working 100%.

Thanks to Cliff for letting me test. I also know of others that tested with the same results. It just didn't work out this time. Nature of the game.

2 years ago
    #
    jackal2001 said:

Shadow said:Is there a scoop protector in the works?
    After tons of testing by myself and others with the "test" cliffy scoop protector, the ball was hanging up on the edge of the protector. We tried all sorts of things including stacking layers of mylar up to the edge of the protector but in the end it started to look crappy and it still wasn't working 100%.
    Thanks to Cliff for letting me test. I also know of others that tested with the same results. It just didn't work out this time. Nature of the game.

There is this for the Tron scoop:
    http://pinballhead.com/mantis-amusements-tron-protector/

Highly recommended.

2 years ago
    #

Great. Thanks for posting.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,335,173 3
    2 years ago
    #
    ChadH said:

jackal2001 said:Shadow said:Is there a scoop protector in the works?
    There is this for the Tron scoop:
    http://pinballhead.com/mantis-amusements-tron-protector/
    Highly recommended.

Yep, I've got that on mine and definitely recommend it. Would have preferred a Cliffy, but as Jackal said, that just didn't work out on this pin.

2 years ago
    #

Thanks to a LOT of testers on that scoop protector. It's not a fit issue, it's a playfield design issue. The bumper posts right next to the scoop are at such an angle as to stop and hold the ball if even the slightest obstruction makes up a second point of contact.... my protector. If the posts were positioned at a more severe angle the ball wouldn't be able to rest and over the protector it would roll. Alas, it just wasn't to be on this game

2 years ago
    #

Cliffy,

Any chance of designing the scoop protector with just an L-design that allows a slow roll from the right? Or even a notched-out protector, something like this:

L'

The front end of my scoop is starting to chip and I'm not sure a Mantis is going to stop it. Maybe even just a front edge like the TAF vault setup you have.

Thanks,

Brian

2 years ago
    #

My left Tron ramp has a cracks on both sides. Really thin plastic. I stuck Mylar on it. Needs protectors Cliffy ASAP.

2 years ago
    #

Cliffy

Put me down for set please.

Mk

2 years ago
    #

When will these be available?

2 years ago
    #
    pinster68 said:

Cliffy,
    Any chance of designing the scoop protector with just an L-design that allows a slow roll from the right? Or even a notched-out protector, something like this:
    L'
    The front end of my scoop is starting to chip and I'm not sure a Mantis is going to stop it. Maybe even just a front edge like the TAF vault setup you have.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Bump

...and +1 on the protectors.

2 years ago
    #

Will STTNG or SM ramp protectors work until Cliffys are done?

2 years ago
    #

nope

2 years ago
    #

Don't have this game (yet) but awesome work! Thanks for helping keeping our pins "cliffy'd" You da MAN!

2 years ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

Thanks to a LOT of testers on that scoop protector. It's not a fit issue, it's a playfield design issue. The bumper posts right next to the scoop are at such an angle as to stop and hold the ball if even the slightest obstruction makes up a second point of contact.... my protector. If the posts were positioned at a more severe angle the ball wouldn't be able to rest and over the protector it would roll. Alas, it just wasn't to be on this game

Our Tron has your beta Scoop protector on it, we had to lay down some thick mylar over the Flynn's insert but it works great. No complaints here.

Can't wait for the ramp protectors to be finished. they are needed badly

2 years ago
    #

+1 TRON ramp protectors are needed badly, I keep seeing more and more reports of cracked ramps I'm almost scared of playing my LE for fear of exploding the ramps into pieces.

TomGWI

Pinball guru
    6,594,200 2
    2 years ago
    #

Any update on when the ramp protectors will be done Cliffy?

2 years ago
    #

Cliffy - Any ETA?

2 years ago
    #

Cost?

2 years ago
    #

Hoping to hear from Mr Laser Dude this coming week. Once I'm invoiced I'll know the fer sure cost.

2 years ago
    #

Count me in too cliffy. I need a set too. Let us know when they are ready for purchase.

2 years ago
    #

Borg says entrance protectors will be on all his future games.....

2 years ago
    #

Sweet! Nice job as usual Cliffy. PM sent to put me on the list.

Thanks mnpinball. They certainly should be on every game from the factory. More cost cutting from Stern I'm sure. I hate to see Cliffy lose some future business. I forgot to look at AC/DC at Expo and see it they were there or not.

2 years ago
    #

thanks again cliff. email me when you have these protectors all resolved and out for sale.
    jordan

2 years ago
    #
    mnpinball said:

What was your intention with this Jason? My thread was about protectors I'm making for Tron.

2 years ago
    #
    Ballsofsteel said:

thanks again cliff. email me when you have these protectors all resolved and out for sale.
    jordan

Jordan you have to email me at crinear@comcast.net as thats where my hold list is created. thanks!

2 years ago
    #
    mnpinball said:

well Borg isn't Mr. Stern,
    and Tron needs protectors.....

planters49

Pinball addict
    668,000 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I got my ramp protectors in today. They look very good, stern should have put these on from the factory

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Are these ready yet? I need um! or maybe i'll pick um up @ PAGG

pinballlooking

Pinball addict
    1,428,750 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    planters49 said:

I got my ramp protectors in today. They look very good, stern should have put these on from the factory

Are they ready? You lucky dog I can’t wait to get mine.
    I put handmade ones on there for now and they look bad but no cracked ramps.
    Mine came with one protector on the right ramp did they all come with that one?

TomGWI

Pinball guru
    6,594,200 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    RawleyD said:

mnpinball said:Borg says entrance protectors will be on all his future games.....
    well Borg isn't Mr. Stern,
    and Tron needs protectors.....

I wouldn't worry Cliffy. You'll probably have to remake the ones Stern makes.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    planters49 said:

Still waiting patiently

Cliff, are you shipping already?

TomGWI

Pinball guru
    6,594,200 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Drano said:

planters49 said:I got my ramp protectors in today. They look very good, stern should have put these on from the factory
    Still waiting patiently

Would also like to know. Can I get those expressed shipped?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Drano said:

planters49 said:

Still waiting patiently

I've been bending metal and shipping about 4 or 5 sets every night after work. I'll be able to knock out quite a few more on the weekend... I hope

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

Drano said:planters49 said:
    Still waiting patiently
    I've been bending metal and shipping about 4 or 5 sets every night after work. I'll be able to knock out quite a few more on the weekend... I hope

Keep on bending Cliff! I think I'm pretty far down on the list. I know they will be worth the wait, I am trying to be careful with those ramp shots until then.

Kevin

planters49

Pinball addict
    668,000 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I just played my TRON LE for about 1 hour and the ramp protectors work great, absolutely no game play issues or anything with them installed.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Cliff - are you making a protector for the arcade scoop?

TomGWI

Pinball guru
    6,594,200 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    mulder2010 said:

Cliff - are you making a protector for the arcade scoop?

He had one in test but had a lot of ball hangups. Only option right now is the mantis protector inside the scoop which so far has been good for me.

TomGWI

Pinball guru
    6,594,200 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

Drano said:planters49 said:
    Still waiting patiently

Cross fingers and hopes and prays mine come before my pin party.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Order placed. Thanks Cliff!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

Sweet! Hope I squeeze into that first run!
    I pick up my Tron tomorrow. Mods and other parts arriving next week (including the mantis protector). I might just have to hold off on engaging in any unprotected pinball until you pull through Cliffy... no pressure

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I will be in for a set

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Cliffy, please count me in for a set too.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple