Finally added my second pin and loving it.

Started 2 years ago by The_Dude_Abides in forum PinsideWebsite.

Forum » Pinside » Website » Topic

Finally added my second pin and loving it.

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • 35 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from The_Dude_Abides

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

I was lucky enough to get an immaculate condition Congo. I had never played it before but after playing for an hour (or two) at the sellers house I knew I had found a great second pin. Such a rush finding a pin you love and never played before!

I tend to be indecisive with things like this but I had no doubt on this one I knew I had to work out a deal to take it home. Really enjoying it very much. It had LEDs, chrome lockdown, pinball pro speaker upgrade, apron sighned by designer John Trudeau, very clean boards, and one of the cleanest playfields I have seen. Here are a few pics of the pin.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Wow! Very nice indeed!

Shouldn't you have a rug in the middle of your living room???

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

shinny looks great.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    Rick471 said:

these were taken at the sellers house not mine he had no rugs in the room. Shame too a rug really would have tied the room together.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Don't you know?

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

That looks like a sweet Congo TDA! I really like the green pincabs on it.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    Snurdley said:

Don't you know?

davewth said:

chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

This aggression will not stand man!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

nice

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

That is one nice Congo ! Congratulations ! I really love my Congo as I found mine earlier this year and it is almost as clean as yours.

Jim

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

That's a beautiful Congo.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Thanks guys you all are awesome, really crack me up to boot!

McCune said:

That is one nice Congo ! Congratulations ! I really love my Congo as I found mine earlier this year and it is almost as clean as yours.

Thanks Jim that is saying a lot coming from you! Glad to see there are some others that love Congo as well. I was hesitant to even go take a look due to it being rated pretty low but glad I decided to ignore the ratings and see what I thought first hand.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Looks gorgeous, TDA!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Beautiful pin!!!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    The_Dude_Abides said:

I was hesitant to even go take a look due to it being rated pretty low

The way I see it lately,the lower the rating the better the pin ! I love B/W "B" titles , Cheap and tons of fun !

Have you figured out the super skill shot yet ?

Jim

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Congrats!! That is a beautiful looking Congo. Played one at Expo not too long ago and really enjoyed it as well. Surprised me, well laid out game. I wouldn't get one because not into the theme, but very fun pin. Enjoy

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

I just noticed yours has the proto speaker panel .. Mine is the WPC95 panel with no chrome on the Williams . Mine also shows a bit of fade but a very solid cabinet for sure .

Jim

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    McCune said:

The way I see it lately,the lower the rating the better the pin ! I love B/W "B" titles , Cheap and tons of fun !
    Have you figured out the super skill shot yet ?

Yea this experience taught me there are some great underrated pins out there and to make sure and keep an open mind regardless of the ratings. I have hit the super skill shot a few times but man it is pretty challenging. The shooter was totally rebuilt so it has a lot of power making it pretty darn hard to hit that shot. Super unique I like it a lot.

I noticed the panel was different. I had not seen it before but then I just assumed that's how they all are. I really like the look of it myself. Yours looks super clean indeed!!! Gotta love this hobby.

Snurdley said:

I really like the green pincabs on it.

Thanks, I thought they fit the machine pretty well too when I saw it.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

I seen Dean Grover's Congo at the Denver show this year, He is listed as one of the software programmers on the game. His had the same panel, I thought it was wrong at first then after talking with Dean,I found out it was a true prototype with red boards and all. It had a few PF differences like instead of saying MAP it showed 123, things like that ,it also had a different shade of green apron.

Your Speaker panel resembles one like on a Johnny Mnemonic .

Jim

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Congrats Dude, that Congo looks amazing!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

nice score. and a great and underrated title. enjoy.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    McCune said:

Your Speaker panel resembles one like on a Johnny Mnemonic .

That's right I just couldn't remember where I had seen a similar style panel before.

McCune said:

I found out it was a true prototype with red boards and all.

Do most prototype Williams machines have red boards inside? If so why? Just curious as usual.

mrgone said:

nice score. and a great and underrated title. enjoy.

Thanks mrgone, I see you have a Royal Rumble in your collection that made me smile and remember the good old days. My brother and I loved to watch wrestling back in the day.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

NICE Dude. Glad you got #2. Fun machine I have heard. You have your eye on #3 I bet

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

she's glorious! really, looks like it's a NIB

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Hey Dude!

I like reading about the backstory on pins. Did the owner give you any history on your Congo?

Was he the only owner? Did he say why he was selling it?

That pin looks freakin' brand new. You definitely scored a big time epic WIN on it.
    Congrats!

You also said something that I'm a firm believer in, and it's not in believing the ratings when it comes to pins. If you like it, and others rate it lower, screw em'. I'm gonna get the pins I like and everyone else be damned. I could care less what others think about the pins I like. I don't need an
    "A-list" turd to make me happy.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Thanks for the kind words all, I still have that giddy feeling over being able to find the right one for me. Things worked out perfectly I got what I think was a great deal on it.

Jgel said:

NICE Dude. Glad you got #2. Fun machine I have heard. You have your eye on #3 I bet

Ohh you are evil planting that idea that you already know will creep into my head sooner or later!

JWS64 said:

Was he the only owner? Did he say why he was selling it?
    That pin looks freakin' brand new. You definitely scored a big time epic WIN on it.
    Congrats!

You know what I was too focused on thoroughly looking over the pin and playing it to even ask. He only sells machines in excellent condition usually at pretty high price points. He has been owning and selling them for over 20 years shipping all over including places like Hong Kong. He let me play his others as well and it was great to meet a fellow pinhead. The owner really took a liking to Congo as well and had just taken it off CL and was set to keep it before I called him.

I wish I had asked about the history more though. I know exactly what you mean about ignoring the ratings when it comes to determining what pins you enjoy the most. It's best to play a pin for the first time with no preconceptions.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Awesome, Very Nice. Congratulations TDA!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Great score TDA!
    That Congo looks brand new!
    Now TG is just going to be inconsolable after seeing yours...
    Well played indeed!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Very nice looks new. Nice find.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Yes looks great - nice find

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Looks great Dude!I have not had a chance to play one yet.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Looks amazing. Really clean.

Your place is really clean too!

Makes me want to go home and clean.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    Rascal_H said:

Your place is really clean too! Makes me want to go home and clean.

Hahaa, can't take credit for that as the pictures were taken at sellers home. My collection now that I added a second will be regulated to the garage but I am fine with that more space to extend the collection in the future.

NimblePin said:

Now TG is just going to be inconsolable after seeing yours... [:cry:]
    Well played indeed!

thanks NP. Not sure how inconsolable TG will be it seems he loves to swap em in and out pretty frequently.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Congrats TDA! That's prolly the nicest example of Congo I've seen so far. I'm very intrigued by this pin lately, especially after seeing yours! And you know what happens when two pins get together ,don't ya?

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    shock_me said:

That's prolly the nicest example of Congo I've seen

That is what I have be saying in my head all day.. Wow!

Jim

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

I like yours too Jim.. What are you plans for it? Do they make cab decals for Congo yet?

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Depth, flow, shots, toys, PRICE. Congo is an excellent value and I think works very well in a small collection and has a lot going for it.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    shock_me said:

I'm very intrigued by this pin lately, especially after seeing yours! And you know what happens when two pins get together ,don't ya?

Yea if you ever see it for sale you may want to check it out it really surprised me how much I liked it. Already starting to save some on the side for the next one. Aren't we all?

jalpert said:

Congo is an excellent value and I think works very well in a small collection and has a lot going for it.

Yea that was my main concern I wanted to make sure it would work in a smaller collection like mine and I really think it will. My wife actually liked it and played a few games on it much to my surprise, she hasn't even played my SM yet.

I like the sound bites in this one they really make me laugh and I do find myself bobbing my head when the music for the mystery shot comes on (I know I am a genuine nerd). Here are a few more pics of it.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Wow nice looking pin under rated game....pity you could not have found a game with a creepy clown theme!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    shock_me said:

I like yours too Jim.. [:wink:] What are you plans for it? Do they make cab decals for Congo yet?

Plans , I am keeping it ! No decals and I would not put them on even if they where available! My Congo is damn clean but dudes is ridiculous!! How is the inside of the game? Maybe I could one up you on the inside ? J/K

Jim

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Great game, in unheard of condition. You're a lucky dude. Love me some Congo, there are two on location in the PDX area, but nothing like the condition of yours. Congrats again.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

Super clean machine. Never played one, but I have heard good things about it.

Just curious, is that the guy on CL that has the clean Addam's Family?

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

I have been seeing that pin up on craigslist in the bay area for a while now, glad it got a good home! I have never played it but you are giving it a great endorsement. Do you find that "theme" is becoming less and less a factor in your pin enjoyment? I love monkeys, don't get me wrong, but that movie was never my fave.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    jimjim66 said:

is that the guy on CL that has the clean Addam's Family?

Yea I actually played that TAF for a bit when I was at his place. Looked and played clean just not my cup of tea. If you want some more info on it PM me I'd be glad to help.

practicalsteve said:

Do you find that "theme" is becoming less and less a factor in your pin enjoyment? I love monkeys, don't get me wrong, but that movie was never my fave.

I really enjoy the jungle theme actually. Hate to see people get caught up in the I hate the movie stuff. The movie sucked but the pin was designed great. Actually it is good the movie sucked it kept the price on the pin down just like JM I guess.

Sound quality is excellent, the sound bites are solid sometimes pretty funny, good rhythm to the music, the playfield is designed very well, the art was well executed (cabinets & playfield look great IMO backglass not so good). The volcano is a pretty sweet/unique toy, the shot up to the volcano is difficult/fun, the super skill shot is also pretty unique, DMD animations were solid, and has a midnight madness mode. All that is much more important to me than what I thought of a movie. Just a great value for the quality of design and small production number.

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

That is one hot lookin' Congo! I'm really pissed at myself for letting mine go some years ago, and am now on the lookout for another... actually found one for sale last night, but will require a 1200mile round journey to get it and will cost me twice as much as I sold mine for!! Still, seriously thinking about it, and seeing yours in that shape has strengthened my determination to get it!

Well done dude!

Lots of similarities on the playfield layout to Tron I've noticed... not that that's relevant, just an observation...

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    pinballslave said:

Lots of similarities on the playfield layout to Tron I've noticed...

I actually don't have a photo for that one... YET!
    Hmmm...
    TG on a light-cycle?
    Swinging from a Recognizer?
    Disc battle against a psychotic banana?
    So many choices!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

I actually don't have a photo for that one

That really does surprise me NP!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    pinballslave said:

That really does surprise me NP!

Me too!! Have we finally stumped the great NP??

pinballslave said:

Still, seriously thinking about it, and seeing yours in that shape has strengthened my determination to get it! Well done dude!

Thanks pinballsalve!! I hope you are able to track another one down soon!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

TG on a light-cycle?
    Swinging from a Recognizer?
    Disc battle against a banana?

I feel some interesting mods on the horizon!!

2 years, 5 months ago
    #

I'm only human...
    Can I get a "tag-in" to help out?
    F-it! I will do it in the morning!
    Damn this time change!

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple