Felt vs Foam vs Plastic Leg Protectors

Started 2 years ago by jayhawkai in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Felt vs Foam vs Plastic Leg Protectors

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by jayhawkai
  • 27 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from pinster68

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

Looks like there are 3 options:

Felt: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2434&parent=0

Foam: http://pinballpal.com/stealth/#Leg

Plastic: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1403&parent=0

I'm considering combining the felt or foam with the plastic pincabs. Thoughts?

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

There seems to be a school of thought that for new decals, felt are better.

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

I like the felt!!

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

I used felt on my new TF. However i did just go to walmart in the craft section and bought 4 pieces for .20 and cut to fit.

All depends on your application

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

Interesting. I thought foam would beat felt. Off to walmart or target soon for felt.

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

ya I'm going to go felt from now on. Getting a huge chunk and cutting it down is a cheap and wise idea.

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

The Stealth Foam is a great product!

I put it on a MB restore, no issues at all.

2 years, 2 months ago
    #

way to go. good idea.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Krajkerjac said:

The Stealth Foam is a great product!
    I put it on a MB restore, no issues at all.

I was told the stealth foam has a tendency to stick to the decals after a while, causing the decal to tear when removing the leg after it's been sitting for years. As a result I decided to remove it from a game, and it was starting to stick in places and that was less than a year... no damage, but I could see the potential.

Felt appears to be the "in" protector at this point, no risk of sticking to a decal, and cheaper than plastic protectors. Other than cost, I'm not entirely clear what issues can arise from the plastic protectors?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Personally, I like plastic, (I've used felt and I like it too) as it is larger than the leg contact area itself.

But all the machines I get are old so the larger area hides flaws, if I got a new machine I would probably use felt first, then plastic as a fall back.

I also thought plastic would transfer the leg load better, but I have no experience to substantiate that.

Can't beat the price of felt.

Robert

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Buy felt at the local fabric store and cut it.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Another problem with the Stealth foam is the maker/seller is in the hospital for a stroke or something so you can't buy them right now.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Been using 4mm foam for awhile now with no decal issues. I think either felt or foam
    is a better option than the hard plastics.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Seen protectors do more damage than good. I don't bother.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I like the Sintra plastic protectors. They cover prior damage, and I've never had a problem with them.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Felt caused damage to my HUO LOTR. I only use plastic with Stern machines.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I have also heard of the felt sticking after long term use. I have been using plastic Pincab protectors for years without any issues. I have always been careful to make sure the weight of the machine is on the legs before really tightening down the bolts.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Yeah I been thinking about plastic to cover damage on an older machine. Was thinking plastic and felt. Plastic to cover and felt to protect, but it looks like just plastic may be the best option.

system11

Pinball master
    2,152,950 9
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    roc-noc said:

Felt caused damage to my HUO LOTR. I only use plastic with Stern machines.

What sort of damage? I started using felt, soft side against the wood.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I bought my first set of felt protectors for my BIBLE before I knew they would come with Stern's new metal bracket design. I assume it won't need any protector, correct?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

correct, no protectors needed with new Stern BIBLE....legs never touch the wood.

p

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Who makes the best plastic ones? I heard Pincab ones are pretty good but I haven't used any protectors before.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Thanks p...

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Plastic pincab protectors are okay for older or screened cabinets, but I've done a few restorations and they kill decals. I'm sticking to felt from now on... Or at least felt under a plastic pincab.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Drano said:

Plastic pincab protectors are okay for older or screened cabinets

I'm thinking about them for my screened DE SW from 1992. They might be just what I need.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    system11 said:

I started using felt, soft side against the wood.

that's exactly the way that I am planning on using it. I can't see how felt would stick to the cabinet, but like a few others have stated, those pincab plastic protectors will cause indentations on the newer machines that have vinyl sticker art vs. painted art

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Feel free to flame me- but are leg protectors even worth it for machines that are not 'mint' or 'collector quality'?

I've only got 2 machines- neither of them are in that type of condition. Are protectors worth it for these types of machines?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    tonymiddendorf said:

Feel free to flame me- but are leg protectors even worth it for machines that are not 'mint' or 'collector quality'?
    I've only got 2 machines- neither of them are in that type of condition. Are protectors worth it for these types of machines?

I had the plastic ones on my WW and am probably gonna order felt for FT. Just to protect it from further damage. So I would say if you want to protect from further damage, sure. And they are cheap to make yourself out of felt or buy.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

My thought is (on a crappy machine) the legs are going to cover up any damage they cause, no?

Unless someone likes to display their machines without legs.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

The foam eventually gets sticky on the cabinet side of the leg and then ya can't get the legs off (easily). Then when you do get them off a sticky residue is left all over the cabinet.

THEN...if its a later Stern screened game and you try to use alcohol to get rid of the sticky stuff you wipe the artwork off the cab! Good think I did'nt get any of the alcohol on the cab anywhere except under that one leg....

So don't use the foamy rubber. I already had to convert one of my games over to plastic and am checking the others this week.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    tonymiddendorf said:

My thought is (on a crappy machine) the legs are going to cover up any damage they cause, no?
    Unless someone likes to display their machines without legs.

well you have people over tighten legs so it puts creases in the art, or dents in the wood. And on some games, vinyl art?, with nudging the art gets crinkled.

I'm just gonna use felt on all my future stuff.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    northvibe said:

with nudging the art gets crinkled.

AHA! That seems to be a valid reason.

thanks northvibe. ... I'm thinking it's pinball party time in a week or two. get your machines shopped and round up your pinhead friends- I've got an empty room that's prime for 4-5 visiting machines for a pinball party! I'm thinking the 9th or the 16th. Keep the calendar open!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    tonymiddendorf said:

northvibe said:with nudging the art gets crinkled.
    AHA! That seems to be a valid reason.
    thanks northvibe. ... I'm thinking it's pinball party time in a week or two. get your machines shopped and round up your pinhead friends- I've got an empty room that's prime for 4-5 visiting machines for a pinball party! I'm thinking the 9th or the 16th. Keep the calendar open!

I just ordered felt leg protectors for FT But when I am not in a rush I'll cut my own out.

Pinball party!? yay forgot when Eric said he had time as well, but not sure what pins I'll have by then.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I just went to Michaels and Joann fabrics looking for the thick felt, but neither had the thicker stuff. Any suggestions where to obtain it and make your own?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

pinster68 is restoring a CftBL and his pic showed why you don't want to use pincab protectors with anything with vinyl decals (and that picture was taken before his swap was complete, so no "nudging" involved here

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Drano said:

Plastic pincab protectors are okay for older or screened cabinets, but I've done a few restorations and they kill decals. I'm sticking to felt from now on... Or at least felt under a plastic pincab.

Sage advice. Spot on, in my experience.

Todd

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Yep - stay clear away from Pincab on re-decal'd cabinets. I was luck that I removed the legs and Pincabs and let the cabinet sit for a couple of weeks. The marks mostly disappeared, but man I was pissed.

In short:

Pincabs - covers damage and leg crinkle. Adds a color accent if that's your thing. I'm using them on my BSD, but that's it.

Foam - Nice idea, but has shortcomings. I put the Stealth leg protectors on some of my pins. When it's time to remove the legs the adhesive can stick bad to the cabinet. Enough so that you'll be biting your lip for fear of damage.

Felt - My preference. Use the thick kind like Pinball Life sells. Felt at Walmart and craft stores is likely not thick enough, and for the money the Pinball Life sets are cheap and effective. And they hide pretty well behind the leg. They're thick enough that the leg doesn't actually touch the cabinet.

Regards,

Brian

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple