image-314.jpg
image-147.jpg
image-787.jpg
image-746.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi have a elektra pinball and the lower playfield doesnt light up or even work...

Only things on the lower playfield that work are the kicker and all the targets.

I have checked the 555 globe that sits beside the aux solenoid board doesnt work. Put in new globe still doesnt work. I have noticed tho some one has wired the globe zbove it on the playfied on this circuit. Not sure how the lighrs should be wired now.

I have a manual been looking.

Also the cloud lights on the back box dont light up either. .Following some wiring i think the lower play field and these globes might be linked not sure....

Any ideas...

#2 11 years ago

They are turned off and on by a triac which is located on the power board by the transformer in the bottom of the cabinet (it looks like a round thing with 2 legs on it). Chances are that it has gone bad and someone has wired it to the upper playfield.
What should happen is when the lower playfield is active the GI on the top playfield turns off and the lower one turns on.

#3 11 years ago

Cheers i will check it out what sort of voltages should i get out of the power supply board going to the lower playfield.

#4 11 years ago

I had an Elektra once. Check the solenoid expander board/relay. Small board under the left side of the apron if I remember correctly. If the bulb is out/dead it will not function correctly. Also cracked header pins on it are real common. Check the schematics (available on IPDB), which will point out which pins turn on with the relay (+43VDC for solenoids, I think 6.3VAC for G.I.)

solexp1.jpgsolexp1.jpg

#5 11 years ago

At the moment i remove that bold and i get a reading between the two globe base pins. Like its a short. Checked it out all looks goid.

6 months later
#6 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

They are turned off and on by a triac which is located on the power board by the transformer in the bottom of the cabinet (it looks like a round thing with 2 legs on it). Chances are that it has gone bad and someone has wired it to the upper playfield.
What should happen is when the lower playfield is active the GI on the top playfield turns off and the lower one turns on.

Any idea were this triac is I have looked will show pic soon

#7 10 years ago

there should be 2 triacs located on the power supply plate in the lower cabinet one switches the main pf GI and the other controls the lower mini bonus pf GI lights. There is also a triac small pcb under the playfield that switches the controled illumination there is a ground wire as well for the mini pf. there are 3x 3prong connectors that goto the triacs located on the power supply plate make sure they are hooked up right. 2 are interchangeable and can be easily reversed causing the mini pf to not illuminate.

#8 10 years ago

If I remember correctly the solenoid expander (with the lightbulb) switches between the top PF and the lower PF.

And the solenoid expander is controlled by a thyristor on the lampdriver. And it is wired via connectors on the lampdriver which are quite often damaged (solder cracks).

What does it do during the lamptest?

And the cloud is probably controlled from the aux. lampdriver. That can be connector problems as well.

#9 10 years ago

See pic. U mean these squares under neith.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 10 years ago

If the rest of the inserts light up on the main playfield its not the bridge rectifiers on the rectifier board. it one of the metal things that are mounted to the plate with the green & white wires attached to them.

#11 10 years ago

I put it back together now I have no flippers working. GI lights still work.

#12 10 years ago

What are those two things for mounted on the metal plate trying to find what there for no success.

#13 10 years ago

Them are the triacs that control the Gi lighting that your having a problem with lol

#14 10 years ago

Right.

#15 10 years ago

Reflowed some solder joints on the board. Reconnected and still no flippers working. In the test mode all solonoieds work other than flippers.

There has been a issue the last few times I played. Machine would take a minute longer to start once I turned it on.

During game machine would go quiet and flippers would stop.

Or the machine would start once credit was pushed but nothing would happen but flippers would work

Any ideas out there also on the two triacs how do I test them.

#16 10 years ago

The triacs almost never fail in my experience. However the triac driver (the small PCB's which look like a solenoid expander without a relay) can of course fail. Try resoldering those boards as well.

1 month later
#17 10 years ago

Was poking around the machine the other day and I noticed this triac. Any way of testing these. image-147.jpgimage-147.jpgimage-787.jpgimage-787.jpgimage-746.jpgimage-746.jpg

4 months later
#18 10 years ago

Ok guys. Got more boards back all checked and repaired. I have the game back up and going.

Still have the lower playfeild issue. I will post about it in a few days.

image-712.jpgimage-712.jpgimage-314.jpgimage-314.jpg

But first I have found a switch that does not return to it's original position. I need to repair it at some stage. It is in the out lane under the apron. So when the ball is kicked out it must register that the ball is in the shooting lane Now currently it is the open position. Once the ball goes over it it doesn't bounce back. But the game seems to work. Just woundering what this switch is for and how does it operate during the game.

#19 10 years ago

I tryed to bend up the switch. It has loosened it up a bit but think I need a new mount and wire. Still woundering what this switch is for.

#20 10 years ago

So I got all my boards back from the board repairer (excellent work). Installed them and all faults have been rectified. Apart from a bent switch and the lower playfield issue. With the switch adjusted I can now consintrate on this dam lower playfeild.

Here is what I no now:

555 globe is new. (Needed for relay to work)

Relay works fine. Proved by repairer (See below)

Replaced both triacs on the power supply plate. (See pics)

Traced all cabling as per drawing. Seems fine.

Replaced test switch for lower flippers. As old one was staying in the open position

Both small expander boards have been reconditioned.

So when the game goes into elektra mode both top and middle gi turns off. (CORRECT)
But no lights come on (lower playfeild) or the lower flippers don't work. However the ball kicks out and targets register during the elektra mode time. (Upper playfeild flippers work during elektra mode not sure if they should or shouldn't.)image-27.jpgimage-27.jpgimage-795.jpgimage-795.jpgimage-721.jpgimage-721.jpg

Here is the interesting part. I put the machine into switch test mode (for solonoieds) and pressed the test button under the playfeild. Bingo or do I say confused one of the gi globes on the lower playfeild lights up. I can hear the relay click and the 555 globe turns on aswell with every press. But no flippers.

So I'm thinking I have wiring issues. Any ideas.

#21 10 years ago

Update.

Played around today and now in sw test mode on solonoieds with the under playfeild switch held in the same arrow light comes on plus when I press each flipper button I get the lower playfeild flippers to work ( there is a sequence of all solonoieds in test mode so I hade to wait to test either side).

Also I run up over 20 elektra points and then let the ball finish so I could see if it went to elektra mode (lower playfeild) still no action. But when I held in the test button ( under the playfeild ) I could use the bottom flippers (top flippers stopped working).

So I'm thinking the relay is not getting a signal to switch over in elektra mode. I will study the drawings tonight.

Still not sure why the arrow lights up and nothing else does.

#22 10 years ago

Update 2.

Couldn't help myself and after tea I went and checked on a few things. There was some electrical tape wrapped around a bunch of cables in behind the back glass so I decided to pull it off and see whats under neith, to my suprise nothing ahhhh ( for sure I thought Brocken wires fix them up and every thing would work).

So no idea why the tape was there. But while I was looking I noticed there was a group of cables coming off the side of the GI door then going into a connector then going back onto the GI door!!!! I opened them up and found the pin configuration was different to each other. I was confused (pulling my hair out here) I then stuck my hand down the hole in the back box into the base and low and behold I found another group of cables coming up from the base going into connectors then going back down into the base. I pulled these apart and noticed different configurations again. I then matched these up to the other cables coming of the GI door, cable colours matched to. So I plugged them together matching each pin configuration cable colours matched too well 90% of colours match.

Turned game on and played a game all good no difference to anything until I went into elektra mode (still nothing) I pressed the test sw under the playfield now the mystery arrow does not lite up.

So I'm assuming these connectors should of been connected in there new configuration instead of back feeding through each other. (Hope every one is understanding this)

I'm hoping with the cables back feeding I have not damaged any boards or equipment.

After all this I'm still chasing the lower playfield issue.

1 week later
#23 10 years ago

Update.

Have been in discussions with my board repair. We went thought the wring looms and traced out most of the cables. Everything seems fine.

We both agree that the connectors being in the wrong groups was the issue. I have sent them off for repair, well two of the boards the one behind the door on the back box and the mpu.

I should of tripple checked all the wiring when I bought the machine. But with them all tied in behind the back box I couldn't tell that They were connected wrong.

Oh we'll lesson learnt.

#24 10 years ago

While I was waiting for the boards. I did a bit of carpentry. image-730.jpgimage-730.jpgimage-695.jpgimage-695.jpg

2 weeks later
#25 10 years ago

So I think I have sorted out the lower playfield issue.

After beakys (board repairer) magic touch it is all working.

This is a lesson in triple checking. I found that some of the harness wiring was connected to the wrong plugs (on the harness). I never really checked the machine when I bought it just thought all the plugs were plugged together so they looked fine.

What I found was the aux lamp board cables on the back of the back glass door were connected together. So the CPU was telling the aux board to do this and that which was fine, but the cabling was basically back feeding itself and blowing up the ic chips on the aux board.

The cables were in a mess tied up so never noticed plus the other ends were also joined together and sitting in the bottom above the speaker so I never seen them till I started fishing around.

So lesson learnt double even triple check.

So it's great to have a fully working machine now just a bit of tidying up to do with the harness and straighten a few switches and bingo done.

Not sure if I will paint the cabinet tho as its a lot of work I did notice they have stencils now for this machine.

Thanks heaps every one for your tips and advice.

Also a big thumps up for beaky the magician.

5 months later
#26 9 years ago

Slowly getting through all the faults on this machine. Just sorted out a solonoid issue. But now after I have completed all the problems another one appears. I swear these things are just like a used car......

I'm assuming this is a switch problem but at the start of the game the machine kicks out both balls. I haven't checked the kick out switches (don't no the technical term). Any body have any ideas in regards to this will be checking out the issue tomorrow night.

I have noticed however the middle switch in the kick out lane has always been dodgy so I will start there. It's a old switch and the wire bracket is a bit dodgy too.

Currently have two balls in the machine.

2 months later
#27 9 years ago

Used the following. image-273.jpgimage-273.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

2 months later
#28 9 years ago

Been reading your story of the mischievious Elektra machine!! Its been a good read, thus far. I recently purchased one of these culprits myself, off craigslist, and mine came with 4 loose black wires, and no test switch up in the left hand corner under the playfield. Do you know what that switch does, exactly? Also, what is it called because I need to purchase one to make mine work properly, as I have no bottom playfield flippers. Lets keep this thread going to see how we both make out with our Bally Elektra attention monsters!!

WP_20150203_14_52_10_Pro.jpgWP_20150203_14_52_10_Pro.jpgWP_20150203_14_52_10_Pro.jpgWP_20150203_14_52_10_Pro.jpg

2 weeks later
#29 9 years ago

Replace the switch with a normal press switch this may fix u lower flippers. But u need this switch to operate the lower flippers in solenoid test mode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elektra-lower-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.