image-621.jpg
image-527.jpg
image-630.jpg
image-386.jpg
image-597.jpg
image-477.jpg
image-309.jpg
image-973.jpg
There are 347 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Should I start reflowing solder on this bank or is that a waist of time as the problem would be presenting itself more obviously?
Blake

No, those memory coils look ok. Just make sure the plungers move freely.

#252 10 years ago

The 7 drop target bank is 19 pin correct, I think you miss typed? I start checking the reset coils. Just so I understand fully, there are the 7 horse shoe targets, the 4 inline multiplier targets, and the eight ball drop target, and that's it for reset coils correct?
Thanks
Blake

#253 10 years ago

So I just tested the SEB again for the hell of it and found that pins 4,7,9 short with each other. Nothing shorts to pin 3 (GND).
Blake

#254 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

The 7 drop target bank is 19 pin correct, I think you miss typed? I start checking the reset coils. Just so I understand fully, there are the 7 horse shoe targets, the 4 inline multiplier targets, and the eight ball drop target, and that's it for reset coils correct?
Thanks
Blake

No it's a 9 pin connector under the playfield. It's a convenience connector. If you unplug it, and the pf fuse doesn't blow, then I would suspect a problem in that target bank.

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

So I just tested the SEB again for the hell of it and found that pins 4,7,9 short with each other. Nothing shorts to pin 3 (GND).
Blake

I don't have an EBD schematic so I can't answer that. Another thing you could try is unplugging the SEB, not sure if the game will boot, but if the coil fuse doesn't blow, this may narrow down the issue.

#256 10 years ago

Here is a pic of the molex connector that seperate a the target bank from the playfield.
Thanks
Blake

image-998.jpgimage-998.jpg image-463.jpgimage-463.jpg
#257 10 years ago

I just clipped the diodes on the reset coils to check to see if they were bad but they checked out fine. I'm going to remove the grounds on those coils to rule them out further.
Thanks
Blake

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Woh! Those ARE the correct coils!!! The coil controlled by the SEB all should have 3 lugs because there's an extra diode wired in series with those coils, that's why they have 2 diodes. If you look closely, you will see that one of the diodes is wire in series with the coil winding and the other is parallel to the winding like a 2 lug coil is. So, the outhole kicker, upper saucer, the DT reset and the 1-9 ball and the 2-11 ball DT memory coils should all be 3 lug coils.

Yep, I forgot about the protection blocking diodes in the SEB circuit. These diodes prevent power from back-feeding through the circuit and energizing the wrong coil.

#259 10 years ago

And presto my friends we have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!! No playfield fuse blown, game fully boots and after pressing start pinball is kicked over to the plunger!!!! Woohoo baby!! So as it stands right now all the reset targets are disconnected. So all we have to do is narrow down which one is the problem child by reassembling one at a time. I cannot thank all of you folks enough as this was the exact same fashion that I plunged into repairing arcades on KLOV and was glad I found a more then comparable forum here at pinside. You folks are truely BAD ASS!! I will dive into completing the repair tomorrow night.
Thanks
Blake

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Here is a pic of the molex connector that seperate a the target bank from the playfield.
Thanks
Blake

image-998.jpg 528 KB

image-463.jpg 518 KB

yeah my bad! I was thinking of F2K

#261 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

And presto my friends we have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!! No playfield fuse blown, game fully boots and after pressing start pinball is kicked over to the plunger!!!! Woohoo baby!! So as it stands right now all the reset targets are disconnected. So all we have to do is narrow down which one is the problem child by reassembling one at a time. I cannot thank all of you folks enough as this was the exact same fashion that I plunged into repairing arcades on KLOV and was glad I found a more then comparable forum here at pinside. You folks are truely BAD ASS!! I will dive into completing the repair tomorrow night.
Thanks
Blake

Cool, so you popped your cherry , LOL. Lot's of great people in the pinball hobby.

BTW, I picked up my 3rd EBD the other day. This only lights the GI's, here we go again!

#262 10 years ago

I just shot you an email.
Blake

#263 10 years ago

Oh, now that you can start a game, run feature lamp test to see if the SEB clicks. That would be the first push of the red self test button inside the coin door. Also make sure the lamp socket by the SEB has a good bulb at flashes with the SEB clicking.

#264 10 years ago

Pretty soon I will be attempting to restore this horrendous playfield.
Thanks
Blake

image-64.jpgimage-64.jpg image-230.jpgimage-230.jpg image-971.jpgimage-971.jpg
#265 10 years ago

Yup I could here it clicking and the bulb was flashing away. So that means the SEB is functioning correctly?
Blake

#266 10 years ago

Oh man, congrats on finally narrowing down the problem! I've been following this thread for the past week or 2 and it's been very educational and interesting. LoveF2K and dothedoo, you guys are real assets to the hobby. Blake, you're unstoppable! I look forward to seeing you guys get this game going 100%!

#267 10 years ago

Thanks frunch! Your right these guys are the best!
Blake

#268 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Yup I could here it clicking and the bulb was flashing away. So that means the SEB is functioning correctly?
Blake

It should be. I was just thinking back to the electrical tape that was in there and thought that should be checked. As long as the other coils fire, then it doing it's job. You can continue the self diagnostic tests and run the coils. They should all fire except the DT that is disconnected. Push the red button until you here coils firing.

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Oh man, congrats on finally narrowing down the problem! I've been following this thread for the past week or 2 and it's been very educational and interesting. LoveF2K and dothedoo, you guys are real assets to the hobby. Blake, you're unstoppable! I look forward to seeing you guys get this game going 100%!

Thanks for the kind words!

#270 10 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Blake

That's correct. The jumper on the board ties pin 4 to pin 9. Pin 4 is the power source for the SEB circuits, pin 7 is the output when the relay is not energized and pin 5 is the output when it is energized.

Sorry, I'm trying to get caught up here. You guys have been very busy tonight.

#271 10 years ago

Best of luck to you! You're in good hands here. Can't wait to see what the culprit was after all this! You must be relieved to know you won't have to buy too many more fuses too, lol!

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It should be. I was just thinking back to the electrical tape that was in there and thought that should be checked. As long as the other coils fire, then it doing it's job. You can continue the self diagnostic tests and run the coils. They should all fire except the DT that is disconnected. Push the red button until you here coils firing.

We know it functioned when it kicked the ball out. It energizes the relay for that coil.

#273 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Cool, so you popped your cherry , LOL. Lot's of great people in the pinball hobby.
BTW, I picked up my 3rd EBD the other day. This only lights the GI's, here we go again!

LOL. I have another EBD too (sold one other that I put a playfield overlay on, it needed a lot of electronic work too), and the wiring harness in the head is all hacked up. That's gonna be a fun one.

#274 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Best of luck to you! You're in good hands here. Can't wait to see what the culprit was after all this! You must be relieved to know you won't have to buy too many more fuses too, lol!

It does feel good when you bring a game back to life. My second pin, I bought non-working, was a Xenon. I spent weeks on it. It had a bad bridge rectifier. No sound. Would go into attract but would not coin up or start a game. Turned out to be maxed out service credits stored in memory and dirty switch contacts at the trough.

#275 10 years ago

So the individual coils for the drop targets read about 50 ohms, right? What do the reset coils read?

#276 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It does feel good when you bring a game back to life. My second pin, I bought non-working, was a Xenon. I spent weeks on it. It had a bad bridge rectifier. No sound. Would go into attract but would not coin up or start a game. Turned out to be maxed out service credits stored in memory and dirty switch contacts at the trough.

Wow, so what did you have to do? Clear out the memory? I've never run into that exact problem.

#277 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

LOL. I have another EBD too (sold one other that I put a playfield overlay on, it needed a lot of electronic work too), and the wiring harness in the head is all hacked up. That's gonna be a fun one.

Cool. I did high end restos on the first 2. I recently sold the second one to pay off some debt. This one now will be my keeper, hopefully. I have an NOS pf that I had Ron Kruzman clear coat a few years ago ready to swap. I have been hoarding the mechanical parts and already tore down the DT banks, replated them and rebuilt them. same with the outhole and saucer eject. I was thinking of copying the game on the original EBD flyer. It has red finned posts instead of blue and the white bumper caps. What do you think? I have the white rings so far. I had a chance a few years back to buy the rare white caps but the guy wanted $300 for them. I wish they were reproduced.

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Wow, so what did you have to do? Clear out the memory? I've never run into that exact problem.

IIRC, yes I cleared the memory but ended up having to change the coin door, I guess a short somewhere. But the real ball buster was that dirty switch, it was hidden under the ball release mech mounting plate

#279 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Turned out to be maxed out service credits stored in memory

Wow, that is wacky, LoveF2k!

Totally agree, there's such a great feeling of accomplishment when you get a pin finally up and running. That's part of what got me hooked on this thread-a chance to see someone get to experience it for themselves for the first time. Blake is really diving in with this too, every suggestion is taken and reported back on. Too many tech threads where the author just stops posting and never follows up. Either way, keep up the great work, everyone!

#280 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Wow, that is wacky, LoveF2k!
Totally agree, there's such a great feeling of accomplishment when you get a pin finally up and running. That's part of what got me hooked on this thread-a chance to see someone get to experience it for themselves for the first time. Blake is really diving in with this too, every suggestion is taken and reported back on. Too many tech threads where the author just stops posting and never follows up. Either way, keep up the great work, everyone!

I have almost as much fun fixing them as I have playing them..........ALMOST !

I've had probably 40 games in and out of my collection over the years, mostly non-working projects, plus I've worked on tons of machines for other people. I'm happy to say that I not had one yet that I couldn't get running. And like you said, that is the thrill. When you think back and go through the checklist in your mind of everything you had to fix to get a game working you realize what an accomplishment it really is.

Thanks for following along......I'm sure there will be more.

#281 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Cool. I did high end restos on the first 2. I recently sold the second one to pay off some debt. This one now will be my keeper, hopefully. I have an NOS pf that I had Ron Kruzman clear coat a few years ago ready to swap. I have been hoarding the mechanical parts and already tore down the DT banks, replated them and rebuilt them. same with the outhole and saucer eject. I was thinking of copying the game on the original EBD flyer. It has red finned posts instead of blue and the white bumper caps. What do you think? I have the white rings so far. I had a chance a few years back to buy the rare white caps but the guy wanted $300 for them. I wish they were reproduced.

I think that's a great idea. Man I saw a set of those caps a few years ago, can't remember where but I know they weren't anywhere near $300. Wow. I would have loved to have that $1700 EBD playfield he just sold. That thing was amazing! He does such nice work (well, so do you!) and I'd love to have him do my spare Quicksilver playfield for me.

Thanks for helping troubleshoot his game.....another EBD saved!

#282 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

IIRC, yes I cleared the memory but ended up having to change the coin door, I guess a short somewhere. But the real ball buster was that dirty switch, it was hidden under the ball release mech mounting plate

When I got my Nine Ball running everything worked, but it wouldn't start a game. After verifying all of the trough and ball capture switches were working I traced it to a dirty credit switch. No matter how hard you pressed or rubbed the blades back and forth against each other -- nothing. Took the switch apart and cleaned it really well and it worked fine. I've never had that happen before with a credit switch. Crazy.

#283 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I think that's a great idea. Man I saw a set of those caps a few years ago, can't remember where but I know they weren't anywhere near $300. Wow. I would have loved to have that $1700 EBD playfield he just sold. That thing was amazing! He does such nice work (well, so do you!) and I'd love to have him do my spare Quicksilver playfield for me.
Thanks for helping troubleshoot his game.....another EBD saved!

Holy crap! Somebody paid 1700 clams for an EBD playfield? That's about the max I ever spent on a complete game. The problem with the white caps is, what if you break one, then what? And they do break.

#284 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I have almost as much fun fixing them as I have playing them..........ALMOST !

I couldn't agree more with that statement! I fix household appliances for a living, and while there is a sort of feeling of accomplishment with certain jobs, it's nothing like getting a pinball up and running and playing nicely. The tech end of this hobby has taught me more about electronics and mechanics than working on appliances, and has actually helped me understand the household appliances I work on better.

I must add too, the fact that the game being saved is an Eight Ball Deluxe was another reason I was compelled to follow this thread. I've never had the pleasure to play a really nice one, and have added it to the short list of games I want to own/restore one day. I was just recalling the other day (while reading this thread) a tournament I was participating in at the Silverball Museum a couple years ago, and Eight Ball Deluxe was the game I was on with my opponent. I was up last (second), and the game was really close. I had racked up a decent bonus through the game and was on my last ball. I decided to shoot for multipliers, having collected most of the balls already. Worked up to 4X and reflexively took a wild shot at the ball screaming down to the right flipper--it nailed the 5X drop target and came racing back straight down the middle of the flippers, ending the game. The final scores were close, and I eagerly watched the bonus count...I wound up like 20,000 points above his score in a game where we both had over 2,000,000 points. It was such a victory! Ever since I've vowed to get to really know the game, but the one at the Silverball just never seems to be working 100%. Maybe 90-95%, but that's the difference between having a game for yourself and a game on location. Those fine adjustments and finishing touches can always be made when it's your game. Anyway, I've pulled this thread off track-I'll help by quoting the last tech-related entries before I chimed in. You guys rock! (I'm still getting accustomed to the 'quote' feature on the site, so forgive my formatting if it's a little funky)

blake had said:

Quoted from Blake:Yup I could here it clicking and the bulb was flashing away. So that means the SEB is functioning correctly?
Blake

to which f2k replied:

Quoted from Lovef2k:It should be. I was just thinking back to the electrical tape that was in there and thought that should be checked. As long as the other coils fire, then it doing it's job. You can continue the self diagnostic tests and run the coils. They should all fire except the DT that is disconnected. Push the red button until you here coils firing.

doothedoo last said:

Quoted from dothedoo:So the individual coils for the drop targets read about 50 ohms, right? What do the reset coils read?

/frunch sits back and grabs a a bucket of popcorn

#285 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

When I got my Nine Ball running everything worked, but it wouldn't start a game. After verifying all of the trough and ball capture switches were working I traced it to a dirty credit switch. No matter how hard you pressed or rubbed the blades back and forth against each other -- nothing. Took the switch apart and cleaned it really well and it worked fine. I've never had that happen before with a credit switch. Crazy.

I have a nineball too, it kicks my ass all the time!

#286 10 years ago

You guys *both* have a Nine Ball!?! That's like the #1 game on my wish list right now! Soooooooo jealous!! Is it a good game? I've never had the chance to play one, but I've wanted one ever since I saw it online years ago.

#287 10 years ago

Ya we still have to figure out what's shorted on the 7-bank. At one point, I think he said one of the coils read 3 ohms. I'm pretty sure only flipper coils read that low and he wasn't testing flipper coils.

EBD got you in that tournament game. The bonus multiplier targets are a sucker shot, but can be very lucrative late in the game. If I have the 56K bonus lit I *may* shoot for them. If I have the 112K bonus lit I certainly do, but never if I'm still on the first rack. Good thing you had enough bonus to take the lead in the end!

Quoted from frunch:

I must add too, the fact that the game being saved is an Eight Ball Deluxe was another reason I was compelled to follow this thread. I've never had the pleasure to play a really nice one...

Neither have I.....and I played them new in 1981. EBD, Centaur, Fathom, Medusa...they all just play, well, sluggish. I haven't figured out why, but I intend to tackle that problem when I restore my EBD and Centaur.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

You guys *both* have a Nine Ball!?! That's like the #1 game on my wish list right now! Soooooooo jealous!! Is it a good game? I've never had the chance to play one, but I've wanted one ever since I saw it online years ago.

Best sounds evah.

#289 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

It's a very good game. Not highest on my list for fun factor, Quicksilver earns that award, but because it's so difficult to achieve multiball it keeps enticing you to play again and again thinking, "I can do better, I can get multiball this time." It's one of those games I didn't pay much attention to in the arcade, but after playing Classic_Stern's restored game I was completely fascinated by it. Wish I would have known you wanted one. NoahPDavis just sold his for $800 yesterday I think, but he's clear on the other side of the country and it had quite a bit of playfield wear like mine.

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

NoahPDavis just sold his for $800 yesterday I think, but he's clear on the other side of the country and it had quite a bit of playfield wear like mine.

I totally would have jumped on that too! There was a couple within 5-6 hours of here recently but I was too late on the one, and the other one is/was up in Mass. for $1850 in really nice shape. I don't know if that one sold yet, though I'm guessing it probably did. I don't exactly have the room for another pin at the moment, but would be willing to sell one to make space/funds for it. If you guys happen to hear of an EBD or a NB for sale within 6 hours or so of NJ, please let me know!

#291 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Yup, Probably bringing mine to the Allentown show. You going?

#292 10 years ago

I am, actually! I'm even more excited to go to the show now (if that's even possible)!!! That would be so cool if you brought your NB! I'm going Friday, when are you?

#293 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I am, actually! I'm even more excited to go to the show now (if that's even possible)!!! That would be so cool if you brought your NB! I'm going Friday, when are you?

Def. Fri and pos Sat

#294 10 years ago

This morning before I went to work I tested the game out real quick and all the other coils that haven't been disconnected seem to work great. The 3 ohm reading I got wasn't from the reset targets as those were all around 50 ohms. I think it was a flipper coil. So hopefully if I can get time tonight I will troubleshoot the problem areas further.
Thanks
Blake

#295 10 years ago

Flipper coils are not fused by the playfield, neither are the cabinets coils, coin lockout and knocker coil. I think you are confusing reset coils with the memory coils. Reset coils are the larger ones that lift the drop targets, either at start of a new game or when all are knocked down. Memory coils are the small coils that will actually knock down the targets, for instance, when playing 2 player game, when player one drains and player two's ball starts, the targets that were down when player two's previous ball drained will be knocked down by the memory coils so he can resume the game where it left off. Those coils should be around 53 ohm. The larger ones should be more than 3 though, I would change any coil and/or diodes on that coil if reading that low

#296 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Def. Fri and pos Sat

Cool, maybe we can meet up for a couple games on your NB at some point!

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Flipper coils are not fused by the playfield, neither are the cabinets coils, coin lockout and knocker coil. I think you are confusing reset coils with the memory coils. Reset coils are the larger ones that lift the drop targets, either at start of a new game or when all are knocked down. Memory coils are the small coils that will actually knock down the targets, for instance, when playing 2 player game, when player one drains and player two's ball starts, the targets that were down when player two's previous ball drained will be knocked down by the memory coils so he can resume the game where it left off. Those coils should be around 53 ohm. The larger ones should be more than 3 though, I would change any coil and/or diodes on that coil if reading that low

That's very interesting, I never really thought about how the memory-drop target banks work. So one coil resets the bank and then the individual 'memory coils' knock down the targets that had already been gotten? Any idea why there are 2 coils at one end of the bank with 3 lugs where the rest have 2? I was surprised to see that is how it was designed.

Edit: reviewing some of the previous posts, I think I may have found the answer to my question about the 3-lug coils. I gather that only coils on the SEB use the extra diode, and targets 1-9 and 2-10 are both controlled by the SEB, therefore use 3 lug coils in order to utilize 2 diodes. Interesting!

#297 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Cool, maybe we can meet up for a couple games on your NB at some point!

That's very interesting, I never really thought about how the memory-drop target banks work. So one coil resets the bank and then the individual 'memory coils' knock down the targets that had already been gotten? Any idea why there are 2 coils at one end of the bank with 3 lugs where the rest have 2? I was surprised to see that is how it was designed.
Edit: reviewing some of the previous posts, I think I may have found the answer to my question about the 3-lug coils. I gather that only coils on the SEB use the extra diode, and targets 1-9 and 2-10 are both controlled by the SEB, therefore use 3 lug coils in order to utilize 2 diodes. Interesting!

Yes, It's always nice to meet pinheads in person. I will look for you.

about the EBD coils. Yes, the extra diode on the 3 lug coils prevents back voltage going to the other coils in the SEB circuit. I didn't learn about this until after I restored 2 EBD games LOL. But luckily I replaced the coils with the correct value and didn't have any issues. The coils chosen by the EBD designers were coils that are not need to react fast during game play, the SEB wouldn't be able to react fast enough, so the outhole, saucer eject and the DT resets were used. If it were the slings or pop bumpers it would have never worked.

#298 10 years ago

Flipper coils have 3 lugs but not wired like the EBD coils. Flipper coils are basically 2 coils in one. One is the flipper bat action and when the EOS switch opens or closes depending game, the secondary coil or flipper hold coil takes over. This prevent s over heating the coil when you hold a flipper up to trap the ball.

#299 10 years ago

Ah, so the SEB-controlled coils with the 3rd lug only have one winding?

#300 10 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Ah, so the SEB-controlled coils with the 3rd lug only have one winding?

Yes,

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 347 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-le-fuse-f4-keeps-blowing/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.