10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG001.jpg
    DSC01149.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

After dealing with electronics for since the 70's I'm slowly modernizing my tools. I retired my old 'cat's eye' for an ESR meter and next I wanted to retire old trusty, my Tektronix 475. (No I don't use the meter on top of it, just to lazy to unmount it.)

So I decided to try out one of the newer ARM based digital/analog scopes. I decided to check this one out and share my findings real-time in case anyone is looking for an portable scope.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057M7YLE

Here is a picture of it next to ole trusty...

DSC01149.JPGDSC01149.JPG

It has an input max of 80Vpp with a x1 probe (400Vpp with a 10x probe)
    2 Digital Channels with storing
    2 Analog Channels
    A signal generator

It comes with two 1x probes, but I picked up a couple BMC to MCX adapters that allows me to use my much beefier 10x Tektronix probes also.

http://www.amazon.com/coaxial-coax-adapter-female-connector/dp/B00CWDKAXA

I did some basic playing with it. It does work as advertise. Bit of a learning curve on the GUI and switches. Of course that's to be expected when one is used to the same scope for 40 years.

Being one of those small (about the size of an iPhone 2), cheap made in China dongles, the documentation is a bit sparse.

I did find a Wiki on it.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Quad_Manual_(by_the_community)#Introduction

I need to figure out if it takes .jpg snaps of signals and how to move triggers around. But at first glance it does what I want and it is SUPER portable. First scope I could put in my shirt pocket.

#2 10 years ago

I've been searching around for an inexpensive scope for some time. I wasn't even considering anything smaller than the bench Tektronix I use at work. I avoided the scope software out there but this looks great.

How much research did you do before buying that unit?

#3 10 years ago

Hard to say, it really was more of those 'down the rabbit hole called the interwebs thing' I stumbled on (may have even been while following one of DKpinball's threads, that made me go "Helloooo sunshine where have you been hiding?"

For the price it was a 'must try'. I'll see how it shakes out in time.

#4 10 years ago

I ordered the same one last week. Its stuck in UPS because of the weather in the SE (was supposed to be here Wednesday). If it doesn't work out, I'll just return it to Amazon.

Also, for $10 more you can get one with a metal back and the latest hardware version http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-DSO203-72MHz-NEWEST-VERSION/dp/B006J4FZMO/ref=sr_1_11

#5 10 years ago

DOH how did I miss the heavy duty one.... Not worth my time and effort to ship back and swap.

It does save to .BMP and .CSV format.

IMAG001.jpgIMAG001.jpg

Overall reviews show that its not a 'lab' scope you would use for precise work as the calibration is a bit of a kludge, but for portability and general use it looks to get good reviews.

#6 10 years ago

hehehe, yea, I ordered the same one as you and missed it as well. From what I have read, we are not missing much on the newer one.

Check out this site for some cool add-on software, you can put a Logic Analyzer app on it or an alternate version of the base o-scope software that improves the bandwidth capacity. Not sure I will go that deep but I will be playing with the logic analyzer app.

http://essentialscrap.com/dsoquad/logic.html

2 months later
    #7 10 years ago

So how has it been using the new scope? I'm thinking of getting one. Does it work well for pinball?

#8 10 years ago

I successfully troubleshot a dimming problem with my Indy 500 with it. The biggest knock on it is the user interface takes a little getting used to. I also feel like I was having a grounding problem when probing many points on the board. The wave would shift and distort when multiple probes were connected to AC parts and DC parts. I never really nailed down what was happening but I wanted to warn you that it may be an issue with these. The problem may be that all the probe grounds are tied together, not sure.

The logic analyzer software in the above post looks cool but I have not used it yet. Keep in mind that to trace 4 points, you will need an additional couple probes ($15 each). It would be nice if someone would sell a package with 4 probes.

The ability to download jpg files of screenshots is a great feature that is useful when you are looking for help from people on here.

Also be aware that this thing is really small and has small switches to adjust it. I was able to manage with my larger than average hands and fingers, however. The screen is about the size of an original iPhone but at a much lower resolution.

I decided to keep mine but have not used it since the I500 problem. I guess that's a good thing since it means none of my machines have broken!

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

The biggest knock on it is the user interface takes a little getting used to.

+1 on that. I'm used to reaching out and twisting a knob, not trying to play Street Fighter combos.

The unit is self power meaning you do not plug it in, so it has no ground reference. You MUST ground your probes to you get garbage. Understood, but still inconvenient.

It's a bit tough to do timing measurements because of the UI and it's small scale. But it does what it does well. Small, cheap scope.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dso203-nano-portable-arm-digital-oscilloscope-4-channels-72mhz-bandwidth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.