Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2078 (resized).JPG
060912192842.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Video is a little shaky (sorry).

#2 11 years ago

Nice mods and SUPER nice Dalek (which is pronounced "doll-ek" by the way
I still want to get your template for that aluminum plate behind the targets, although I'll probably make it in stainless coz that's what I do Thanks for the show!

#3 11 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

#4 11 years ago

Nice...

What did you use to get the red leds on the Dalek body to strobe?

The call box mod, looks so much nicer.

Thanks for sharing

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from rcarlson:

Nice...

What did you use to get the red leds on the Dalek body to strobe?

The chase LED's are a universal kit (see link below). I added an adjustable time delay relay to keep them actively lit during the Dalek modes. I tapped into the original Dalek blinking light circuit to activated it and although I didnt try it without the relay... I felt it would flicker too much due to only activating with the actual original light pulses when the Dalek speaks.

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=768

Be forewarned....installing and wiring the LEDs was super tedious work!!!

060912192842.jpg060912192842.jpg

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from rcarlson:

Nice...
The call box mod, looks so much nicer.

I agree completely. Any more details on it?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Nice mods and SUPER nice Dalek (which is pronounced "doll-ek" by the way []
I still want to get your template for that aluminum plate behind the targets, although I'll probably make it in stainless coz that's what I do [] Thanks for the show!

Dang Cliffy.... I wish I would have know you wanted the templet. I just had that thing apart tracking down an opto problem!! As you know, no Dr. Who owners want to take that damn time expander apart if they dont have too (lol). Marco has the base plastic and this was what I used exclusively!! took me a while too but I know you can hook it right up!! As far as "doll-ek" ill try but I'm a good ole' Georgia native and sometimes that drawlllll just takes over!! lmao

Heres the marco link: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8655

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I agree completely. Any more details on it?

You will have to gut it, discard the base, & replace the led with a 12 volt 3mm led. You may have to get a little creative with the mounting but its not that difficult. Looks a ton better in person!!

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Tardis-USB-Hub/dp/B000F46CQM/ref=sr_1_1

http://www.led-switch.com/12%20volt%20LED.htm

#9 11 years ago

Very nice Dalek mod! Makes me wish I still had my Doctor Who.

#10 11 years ago

Wow man, I don't think I'll ever have enough time to do that, but man, yu did a wicked job! I wasn't expecting much when I opened this thread, but that is awesome.

What would you charge to make one?

#11 11 years ago

wow!! awesome! rgb635 you are the mod king!!
love it!

#12 11 years ago

Geez thats nice. Super work!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wow man, I don't think I'll ever have enough time to do that, but man, yu did a wicked job! I wasn't expecting much when I opened this thread, but that is awesome.

What would you charge to make one? []

Thanks everyone!!! ...Ill PM you Atomicboy.

#14 11 years ago

The gloss and lighting on that playfield looks amazing!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

The gloss and lighting on that playfield looks amazing!

I had to sand a re-shoot it like 4 times but I finally got it right!! Thanks Fattrain

#16 11 years ago

Fantastic job, rgb! That's without a doubt the nicest DW I have ever seen. The only problem I have with your mods is that the Slitheen ships are from the wrong era. Those are from the new 2005 relaunch, whereas the game is based on the original series which ran from 1963-1989. Nevertheless, they still look cool, and only a sci-fi geek like me would even notice that they are out of place.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Fantastic job, rgb! That's without a doubt the nicest DW I have ever seen. The only problem I have with your mods is that the Slitheen ships are from the wrong era. Those are from the new 2005 relaunch, whereas the game is based on the original series which ran from 1963-1989. Nevertheless, they still look cool, and only a sci-fi geek like me would even notice that they are out of place.

Gweempose you wont believe how hard I had to search for some replacements for those little black ships. After a few weeks I was about to give up and then I stumbled on this little web site for a store in the UK. Those were the only ones from the Dr. Who series I could find that would fit without looking crazy. I didn't want to go away from the theme with some Star wars ships or something (lol). I haven't even seen the episodes that have these ships but now I can track it down now that I know which series they are from. Thanks for the compliments and the info. I am trying to learn more about the Dr. Who series now that I have the game.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I haven't even seen the episodes that have these ships but now I can track it down now that I know which series they are from. Thanks for the compliments and the info. I am trying to learn more about the Dr. Who series now that I have the game.

Since you’re new to the show might I recommend you start with the newest series and stay away from the classic stuff until you’ve become a fan. Good starting episodes that I recommend are: Dalek, The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Utopia, Midnight, Vincent and the Doctor, & The God Complex. Great episodes for someone who doesn’t know much about the show and wants to dive in to the longest running sci/fi show in history. Also if you’re looking for a good podcast for the show I would recommend the TARDIS Tavern...

#19 11 years ago

How dare you recommend anyone stay away from Tom Baker. I'm going to have to come over there and beat you now, and take that pin over to my place. :p

#20 11 years ago

Loved it all! Thanks for the vid.

Miss my DW.

#21 11 years ago

Excellent work, very inspiring for someone about to do a teardown shopjob of his DW. Can't wait to get started! Your game looks awesome!

#22 11 years ago

Really cool. Can you detail how you integrated the shaker? Similar steps could be used in other games. Like what you wired specifically ?

#23 11 years ago

Wow, looks great

#24 11 years ago

Awesome job! From an ATL native.

#25 11 years ago

That is awsome!! Perfect timing, Im rebuilding a dr who right now, I cant wait to do some of these!

#26 11 years ago

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the positive responses

Quoted from markmon:

Really cool. Can you detail how you integrated the shaker? Similar steps could be used in other games. Like what you wired specifically ?

Let me take some pics..Ill post a little later

#28 11 years ago

I love this, we need posts like this for every machine!!

#29 11 years ago

Awesome work with the Super Dalek and the shaker. looks great.

LED's in the GI huh. I've seen those before... everytime you collect a doctor through the Transmat it gives you a seizure.

4 months later
#30 11 years ago

Awesome work, thanks for the vid, and all the info

#31 11 years ago

nice to see titles people don't usually like that much get some love! way to go!

#32 11 years ago

Looks really good, some mods are like ahhh but these I would add to a Dr Who which is on my list to get.

#33 11 years ago

Did you have to add any extra screws to make the kickout protectors from High Speed work? Or did it work with the existing hardware?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Did you have to add any extra screws to make the kickout protectors from High Speed work? Or did it work with the existing hardware?

No extra screws...the mounting holes on the protectors are off just a bit on one side or the other. I just power drilled through it when reattaching the hole deflectors and it was snug as a bug!!

#35 11 years ago

the video is crappy

but even that, we can see you have a very nice pin, with cool mods !

#36 11 years ago

all he needs now is powder coated legs and rails in a blueish colour

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

the video is crappy

but even that, we can see you have a very nice pin, with cool mods !

Yea the video actually looks better when NOT in full screen. I didnt have the HD setting correct in my smart phone.

#38 11 years ago

dont worry, was joking, as your pin really seems top !

6 months later
#39 10 years ago

Getting a DW in a week or so if everything lines up, and it is looking good, would love to see your mods in person some time if it is possible as I'm in Atlanta usually once a month or so. Excellent stuff and thanks for all the info. The Tardis on the one I'm looking at is broke and the USB tardis looks perfect.

7 months later
#40 10 years ago

Bump

1 year later
#41 8 years ago

Bump again just for the passion of a great doctor who lover.

#42 8 years ago

Really nice DW, congrats!

4 months later
#43 8 years ago

Stumbled upon your video on youtube and found the link here. Love your mods!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Bump again just for the passion of a great Doctor Who lover.

Quoted from Nepi23:

Really nice DW, congrats!

Quoted from Getssum:

Stumbled upon your video on youtube and found the link here. Love your mods!

Thanks Guys!

5 years later
#45 3 years ago

Amazing job with the mods! I have found a USB Tardis and am going to attempt a similar mod. Need to find my Dremel tool first. Did you have to cut a hole in the Slitheen space ship?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Amazing job with the mods! I have found a USB Tardis and am going to attempt a similar mod. Need to find my Dremel tool first. Did you have to cut a hole in the Slitheen space ship?

for what it’s worth, the USB Tardis has the proper “lantern” light at its top, molded very nicely. I ended up soldering an insert bracket lamp socket INSIDE the Tardis, and popped a blue, regular 5v bulb in there. It looks GREAT, especially since it keeps the integrity of the USB Tardis design.

If you want To make yours a flasher, just wire it to one of the existing 12V flasher.

If you are very careful with your dremel (make a template on paper!) you can cut exactly where the wireform comes out of the Tardis and no more, which looks loads better than the original toy

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

for what it’s worth, the USB Tardis has the proper “lantern” light at its top, molded very nicely. I ended up soldering an insert bracket lamp socket INSIDE the Tardis, and popped a blue, regular 5v bulb in there. It looks GREAT, especially since it keeps the integrity of the USB Tardis design.
If you want To make yours a flasher, just wire it to one of the existing 12V flasher.
If you are very careful with your dremel (make a template on paper!) you can cut exactly where the wireform comes out of the Tardis and no more, which looks loads better than the original toy

Great tips thanks, Rdoyle. I have disassembled the USB Tardis. I have a wedge base lamp socket and ordered a blue 555 bulb. I was going to use the blue rubber cover, but agree proper lantern light will look better! I can visualize that I need to take the wire trail out and carefully cut that round hole. Measure twice, cut once.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Great tips thanks, Rdoyle. I have disassembled the USB Tardis. I have a wedge base lamp socket and ordered a blue 555 bulb. I was going to use the blue rubber cover, but agree proper lantern light will look better! I can visualize that I need to take the wire trail out and carefully cut that round hole. Measure twice, cut once.

Fantastic! It will come out great. If I recall correctly, I used a lamp socket with a longer arm so I could adjust it right up against the bottom of the lantern thing - it is quite bright, but because the light only comes out the 4 gaps in the lantern, it looks much more interesting than just a boring old bulb. You'll love it!

I also worked a bit on a forced perspective adjustment that would allow me to add a plastic on top of the wireform which would create the illusion that the Tardis was whole, but it ended up being a whole lot of work for a not-very-convincing effect. The blue light inside the Tardis leaks out a bit and give it a cool backlit effect too - that was good enough.

#49 3 years ago

The Mod is in. Looks Super.

DSCF2078 (resized).JPGDSCF2078 (resized).JPG
9 months later
#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Sorry so late on the reply. I did not have to cut a hole in the ship but I did have to make a simple bracket that I screwed into the underside of the ship in order to attach it to the ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-pinball-mods-super-dalek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.