• Dr Who 18 votes
    16%
  • The Hobbit 84 votes
    76%
  • Both 9 votes
    8%

(111 votes)

#1 12 years ago

With all the recent polls , why not another.

2 themes that appeal to all age groups and equal countries. Dr Who celebrates it's 50th anniversary in 2013. I'd be more inclined to see a fresh new approach to a Dr Who pin with recent stars and villains. LOTR really fills the bill as far as The Hobbit is concerned for me.

Bally Dr Who focused on the Daleks, I'd like to see recent updated villains and cybermen all together on this on.

Read up. Dr Who is broadcast in 50 countries. The current revival also garners the highest audience Appreciation Index of any drama on television.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who

#2 12 years ago

A JJ Dr. Who would likely be something we'd get sight unseen. Wife is a HUGE Dr. Who fan.

#3 12 years ago

I love Sci Fi, but I just couldn't get into Dr. Who. I should probably give it another try.

#4 12 years ago

Dr. Who just isn't that popular in the States.

#5 12 years ago

Daleks, Cybermen, add them all aslong as there is a Weeping Angels Strobe Multiball - I'm sold, where do I preorder

#6 12 years ago

I don't think dr who will get redone. It is a pity, but since the theme has already been done I cannot see jjp trying to redo it. It does get broadcast in 50 countries but in the us its on bbc america which not everyone has.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I don't think dr who will get redone. It is a pity, but since the theme has already been done I cannot see jjp trying to redo it. It does get broadcast in 50 countries but in the us its on bbc america which not everyone has.

It's like drugs and pussy. If you want it you'll find a way to get it. Free Internet downloads and DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

#8 12 years ago

Mn pinball your just too crazy j for me

#9 12 years ago

The Hobbit for me. It will look really nice sitting next to my LOTR.

The promise of many members of the original LOTR team getting to take another stab at Tolkien's material with the new platform, LCD, and high quality materials is all I need to buy in.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

he Hobbit for me. It will look really nice sitting next to my LOTR.

The promise of many members of the original LOTR team getting to take another stab at Tolkien's material with the new platform, LCD, and high quality materials is all I need to buy in.

I would buy in as well for that one.

#11 12 years ago

A Doctor Who pin based on the new series would be really cool. I'd take one over the Hobbit, although I think The Hobbit is a much better license for the masses.

#12 12 years ago

Hobbit is leading the poll. Good to know

#13 12 years ago

Niether. not a fan of either one. Why didn't you give us a choice for that?

#14 12 years ago

Used to love Dr Who but not so keen on the latest Dr.

On that basis would go for the Hobbit as it is destined to be a classic. Just hope when they make Hobbit pinball that the artwork stays way from Hobbits and sticks to Gollum, dragons, rings, etc etc!

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Just hope when they make Hobbit pinball that the artwork stays way from Hobbits and sticks to Gollum, dragons, rings, etc etc!

You mean you don't want a huge Bilbo face on the middle of the playfield ala Angus?

#16 12 years ago

Go buy the Bally DW, because I don't think JJP will make one.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

simonakapw said:Just hope when they make Hobbit pinball that the artwork stays way from Hobbits and sticks to Gollum, dragons, rings, etc etc!
You mean you don't want a huge Bilbo face on the middle of the playfield ala Angus?

YEAH

Prefer no actors at all on the backbox!

A few on the playfield is allowed

#18 12 years ago

Most Americans are not familiar with Dr. Who.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

gweempose said:simonakapw said:Just hope when they make Hobbit pinball that the artwork stays way from Hobbits and sticks to Gollum, dragons, rings, etc etc!
YEAH

Since JJP will be doing The Hobbit I think we can rest easy that actors won't be slathered all over the non-LCD area of the backglass. I would expect them to take the minimalist approach like they did with WOZ and have the title/logo along with some tastefully done art/graphics around it.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Most Americans are not familiar with Dr. Who.

Count me as one of those. Every time I've played the pin I have been confused why that grey robot thing is screeching at me. I just wanted to make it stop! In fact the racket it makes is so bad that I couldn't watch the tv show for fear of them making that sound.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I would expect them to take the minimalist approach like they did with WOZ and have the title/logo along with some tastefully done art/graphics around it.

And maybe some hobbit feet flippers

#22 12 years ago

Doctor... who?

Yeah, in the US, Dr. Who is not well known at all... Wouldn't really work for that reason.

The Hobbit? There's already LoTR - I don't see another very very similar theme being done like that.

2 weeks later
#23 12 years ago

Either Doctor Who or the Hobbit would be great. Actually though, I would like to see one made after one of the popular premium television shows right now. Game of Thrones, Spartacus, or True Blood (in that order in my opinion) would all be pretty cool themes . . . my guess is it is unlikely any would be picked up though due to the rather physical graphic nature of the three shows.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Dr. Who just isn't that popular in the States.

Thats changing quick. Not as popular as LOTR perhaps, but we get episodes released the same week as in the UK because the demand is there. No other BBC is like that.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

jarjarisgod said:I would expect them to take the minimalist approach like they did with WOZ and have the title/logo along with some tastefully done art/graphics around it.
And maybe some hobbit feet flippers

I actually pictured that in my head and had to chuckle thanks!

Out of the two probably Hobit but neither one appeals too much to me.

#26 12 years ago

Well, since I'd never really even heard of Dr. Who I'd have to go with the Hobbit

#27 12 years ago

One is done before and too obscure, other will contain dull movie music. Needed a neither option, or Muppets.

#28 12 years ago

I would like either.

I am also down for the Muppets.

#29 12 years ago

As long as we can collect companions, I'm down for Dr Who. Billie Piper all the way!

#30 12 years ago

Are you kidding, with the Hobit coming out, that is a no brainer marketting wise. Dr. Who has next to no following in North America, especially compared to LOTR anything.

I'm a massive fan of the machine, remember liking the show as a kid, but could care less about the cheese it is now.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

simonakapw said:gweempose said:simonakapw said:Just hope when they make Hobbit pinball that the artwork stays way from Hobbits and sticks to Gollum, dragons, rings, etc etc!
YEAH
Since JJP will be doing The Hobbit I think we can rest easy that actors won't be slathered all over the non-LCD area of the backglass. I would expect them to take the minimalist approach like they did with WOZ and have the title/logo along with some tastefully done art/graphics around it.

Remember how Jack promised us a darker take on woz? That didn't happen because the end resut had to adhere to the style guide. The same will be true with the Hobbit. Luckily, the style guide for the LOTR films has always been quite good, so I am sure the game will look nice.

#32 12 years ago

Why is Doctor Who even being mentioned in the same breath as the Hobbit? There's a reason the Bally DW sells for under $1500 and it's not because it's a bad game.

#33 12 years ago

Saw a few minutes of a Dr. Who epidode and it looked atrocious. Like a bad version of SNL's Coneheads sketch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Hardware
Pinball Haven

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-or-hobbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.