Doomsday Preppers/Doomsday Bunkers

Started 2 years ago by JWS64 in forum Off topicOff-topic bar.

Forum » Off topic » Off-topic bar » Topic

Doomsday Preppers/Doomsday Bunkers

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by JWS64
  • 25 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from jrrdw

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Anybody besides me watching this new series?

I'm all for being prepared, but damn! It's gonna cost me some serious bucks to start.

I need to hit a super lottery so I can have the bunker company dig up my backyard and
    get my underground fortress underway.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

I watched a couple minutes of it and saw some dude buying Camo net covers for his big rig...man these dudes have some serious coin! I need to watch it for real though.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

You could do it on the cheep. Just find a place with a old septic tank, a little Lysol, a few flowers and your good to go.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Reminds me of the Y2K scare.. no planes fell out of the sky for that one either.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pinball_customs said:

no planes fell out of the sky for that one either.

Seriously. I had to work a 12 hour day, not just to make it through midnight...but midnight on the air traffic clock. What a joke.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

I'm not into building bunkers, but I try to be prepared for disaster's....There's a book called "Dare to Prepare" which is a huge collection of great cost saving ideas and tips on preparing your emergency 'bunker' without the bunker. All about storing food, water, etc....

While I'm not anticipating the end of the earth, I do believe that the possibility of an extended nationwide or regional power outage is far more probable. Or a localized terrorist nuclear attack. If the power grid goes off line for a couple of weeks, imagine the panic, pandemonium, looting, etc. So, stocking up and having a month's supply of food, water, fuel, electrical generation, batteries, cash, ammunition (unfortunately), etc. is not that expensive, doesn't require extensive storage and is well worth the piece of mind.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

My wife is a little bit of a doomsday prepper. Nothing over the top, but we did have to invest in a 4-man survival kit, with water and rations and everything you might need for survival over a two week period or so. She's tornado sensitive, and we live on the very outskirts of Tornado Alley. She wants me to ok the building of some form of tornado shelter, but retrofitting an interior closet is crazy expensive, and I am not tearing up the yard to put in a snake habitat.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Nothing wrong with having options. Prepping gives you options. IMO some folks take it to the extreme but still interesting show.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Quick fact...

Since the Mayans didn't account for Leap Year in their calender the true 2012 date passed awhile ago.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

I think for most people it's a big joke. They think they're safe. I know,...sure, there's no bad people out there, only people that need more help. Riiiiiiight. If you've ever been without power for a few weeks, it can open your eyes. Who's going to protect you?

dendoh

Senior pinhead
    399,000 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Saw the premier of another show last night called "Doomsday Bunkers". The premier episode was about a company that builds underground shelters for prepers. Pretty interesting. Some of the smaller shelters were not too expensive. I checked out their web site and it said the deeper you want it buried, the more it will cost. The web site also mentioned that people shouldn't buy storage containers and bury them to use as underground shelters. Supposedly, they are not strong enough to support all the dirt on top of them and could cave in. It was on Discovery HD.

Dennis

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    lpeters82 said:

Quick fact...

Since the Mayans didn't account for Leap Year in their calender the true 2012 date passed awhile ago.

The Mayans did not use our Gregorian calendar, which means scientists would have had to translate their calendar into our own Gregorian calendar. Something tells me these scientists accounted for leap year in their calculations.. just a hunch, they're probably smarter than both of us.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

If the world ends before Resident Evil LE's ship I'm going to be really, really bummed.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Funny timing with this thread. I saw the show for the first time Tuesday evening. While the featured folks seemed kinda obsessive concerning what they were worried about, I think they're right about individual responsibility in the face of growing natural disasters. I learned the hard way during the Storm of the Century in '94 when we got stuck with no power for a week, ice covered roads, very little food, and freezing temperatures where it's not supposed to be cold, so since then I try to keep a month's supply of everything. If I lived in the big tornado areas I think I'd setaside some coin for something underground, those storms have been monsters over the past year or so.

Now, what about preserving our pins? I added a Twister pin to my collection last year in hopes that it would inoculate me from big storms.

Atomicboy

Pinball guru
    5,503,400 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pinball_customs said:

Reminds me of the Y2K scare.. no planes fell out of the sky for that one either.

But a molasses plant failed and released tons of the crap. A bunker would have been handy for anyone caught in the extremely slow tidal wave.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    lpeters82 said:

Quick fact...

You need to stay off facebook This has been debunked...

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Well they really should have predicted the Spanish would steal all their gold and wipe them out.

pin-tastic

Pinball addict
    1,161,150 4
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

I watched the first episode, not sure I can swing 450K for a custom built bunker for my family but it is entertaining to watch. To me the guy designing the bunkers doesn't do a very good job or at least it was not mentioned in the show how he combats humidity issues, waste issues with trash from food containers, etc. I think he is just getting rich off of peoples vulnerabilities with the 2012 predictions, I think I could design and build a better bunker if I had half million to spend I would build everything out of reinforced concrete.

The cheapest way to build one would be to bury a 20 or 40' steel shipping container or old school bus and build an entry way with steps leading down into it with a secure door.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Not going to waste the rest of this life worrying about something that may or may not happen. Besides, if there is nuclear fallout everywhere, people are shooting each other, why would you want to be around anyway?

Worst of all there will be no electricity to run pinball machines! Life will hardly be worth living!

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

There's more things going on in the world today than the freaking Mayan prediction.

If people don't know what these things are it's because they have their head up their ass
    and would rather pretend that everything is all hunky-dory and things will be ok. Things
    Are not ok and they aren't getting better anytime soon.

You want to see the world's shit hit the fan? Israel attacks Iran, things will get bad real quick.

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pin-tastic said:

I watched the first episode, not sure I can swing 450K for a custom built bunker for my family but it is entertaining to watch. To me the guy designing the bunkers doesn't do a very good job or at least it was not mentioned in the show how he combats humidity issues, waste issues with trash from food containers, etc. I think he is just getting rich off of peoples vulnerabilities with the 2012 predictions, I think I could design and build a better bunker if I had half million to spend I would build everything out of reinforced concrete.
    The cheapest way to build one would be to bury a 20 or 40' steel shipping container or old school bus and build an entry way with steps leading down into it with a secure door.

Fan systems and on-site incinerator. Everything a customer wants can be custom built to their needs. Having a bunker underground it would have to be able to withstand nuclear fallout, which is done through chemical filters designed for nuclear conditions.

That was the first episode of Doomsday Bunkers. To go into every detail of the process the show would be multiple hours long, which is impossible when the time slot is one hour WITH commercials.

If someone were dead serious about the process they'd contact the company directly and find out
    all the details about price, configurations, and all the bells and whistle's.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pin-tastic said:

not sure I can swing 450K for a custom built bunker

You should go for the Vivos "Economy class" shelter. Only $9,950. That's less than a new JPOP pin!

BTW, you should check out the Colbert video on these guys. http://tinyurl.com/88fuu7g

pin-tastic

Pinball addict
    1,161,150 4
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JWS64 said:

Fan systems and on-site incinerator. Everything a customer wants can be custom built to their needs. Having a bunker underground it would have to be able to withstand nuclear fallout, which is done through chemical filters designed for nuclear conditions.

That was the first episode of Doomsday Bunkers. To go into every detail of the process the show would be multiple hours long, which is impossible when the time slot is one hour WITH commercials.

If someone were dead serious about the process they'd contact the company directly and find out

Let me guess your the owner / engineers son that got cake in the face !!!!!!

If I was really serious about buying a bunker this company would not be my first choice, any company that preys on customers and then makes a TV show documenting it is a joke IMO, but hey that is reality TV for ya!

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robertmee said:

I'm not into building bunkers, but I try to be prepared for disaster's....There's a book called "Dare to Prepare" which is a huge collection of great cost saving ideas and tips on preparing your emergency 'bunker' without the bunker. All about storing food, water, etc....

I am with you robert, need to have some supplies to be ready. I am good for at least 3-4 months with no external support.

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pin-tastic said:

JWS64 said:Fan systems and on-site incinerator. Everything a customer wants can be custom built to their needs. Having a bunker underground it would have to be able to withstand nuclear fallout, which is done through chemical filters designed for nuclear conditions.
    Let me guess your the owner / engineers son that got cake in the face !!!!!!
    If I was really serious about buying a bunker this company would not be my first choice, any company that preys on customers and then makes a TV show documenting it is a joke IMO, but hey that is reality TV for ya!

I wish I was that young. I'm 47, military vet. I know how companies like that operate, what they can do as far as completing the order to the customer specs.

Unless I win a lottery I won't ever have the kind of cash to do what I'd want to do in my backyard.

I'm not seeing them as a company preying on anyone. People approach them to have their builds done. I don't see them going from door to door trying to drum up business. From what I'm seeing and hearing the business is coming directly to his door, not the other way around.

From what I've seen in the first episode the owner went above and beyond to help the guy who had his generator dug up from the ground. Looks like pretty good customer service to me.

He could have said to the guy "what? Someone dug up and stole your generator. Sucks to be you. Buy another one for $$$$ from me or go somewhere else to get one. Good Luck pad'na!" That didn't happen.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Doomsday huh? This makes me think of the guy who followed the Mayan calendar to predict the end of the world, well you see that wasn't right. Turns out that guy misinterpreted why the Mayans stopped writing the calendar. It wasn't because that was the end of time. The Mayans stopped writing the calendar that day because they simply ran out of paper!

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

The Mayans were merely counting down to the Hobbit movie

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Like Pat Lawlor, the Mayans were actually predicting the end of Pinball by 2012. If that actually was case... wouldnt that make us all preppers?

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Mayans... Lol.

Wasn't the world supposed to end last year or something? I remember billboards and people spending all their money to decal their vehicles with the date. Wonder what those people are up to now.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Rascal_H said:

Wonder what those people are up to now

Cleaning the decals off their cars...

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JWS64 said:

I'm all for being prepared, but damn! It's gonna cost me some serious bucks to start.

I need to hit a super lottery so I can have the bunker company dig up my backyard and
    get my underground fortress underway.

Would it really be worth trying to survive, if all of civilization goes to shit?

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Honch said:

Would it really be worth trying to survive, if all of civilization goes to shit?

Hell yes! Ever see the movie "The Book of Eli"? So much for over due bills, mortgage and pain in the ass neighbors! One could build with out a building permit, and not get in trouble for it etc...

Yes, there are the down falls. No electricity, transportation, killers, muggers and thieves. All and all, I'd find a way to survive. I know how to hunt and fish etc...

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    jrrdw said:

No electricity

Means no pinball!!! I'm out!!! All kidding aside, I guess you never know what you'll do till it happens. I do know, (being a germaphobe) no running water would put a serious crimp in my hygiene regimen.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    jrrdw said:

Honch said:Would it really be worth trying to survive, if all of civilization goes to shit?
    Hell yes! Ever see the movie "The Book of Eli"?

A much more realistic portrayal is 'The Road' of post apocalyptic survival. Starvation, cannibalism, all the while trying to protect your kid....Not a pretty picture, but probably not far from accurate.

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Honch said:

I'm hoping that if everything does go to shit on the east coast it's through a nuclear attack and that I die in an instantaneous nuclear blast. I'd rather not suffer from radiation poisoning for an extended period of time. If I'm gonna die I want it to be quick and fast.

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JWS64 said:

Honch said:Would it really be worth trying to survive, if all of civilization goes to shit?

I'm hoping that if everything does go to shit on the east coast it's through a nuclear attack and that I die in an instantaneous nuclear blast. I'd rather not suffer from radiation poisoning for an extended period of time. If I'm gonna die I want it to be quick and fast.

Amen!

2 years, 1 month ago
    #

Here in Maryland I'm in the middle of it all: Washington DC, Peachbottem Nucular Power Plant, Camp David and 3 Mile Island are all with in 100 miles or less. All of these places are prime targets for attack in the event of global nucular warfare.

In short, I'm toast!

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple