(Topic ID: 83827)

Do you guys take our loans or buy games with credit cards?

By kaneda

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Just curious, do some of you guys buy pins using credit cards or take out loans? Or do you go just buy them outright? May not be a bad way to build credit since it's a large purchase, but also paying interest on a pin seems silly.

#2 10 years ago

Never. Dont even OWN a credit card at all. Having cash on hand at any given moment is the way to go, you never know when your gonna need to close a deal and the seller wont wait for you to get a loan......

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 10 years ago

I had a local operator give me the option to make payments to him on a pin. Pay as much as you can now them 100 a month till paid off. He actually said he would come service it for free and clean it every few months.

#4 10 years ago

Do not buy a pin on a CC.

#5 10 years ago

Cash only...tax refund actually. I do ok but I'm not made of money. It helps that I don't have a family to support, if I did I would/could not be in this game.

#6 10 years ago

Build credit?
Buying 5-10k pins is not the best way to build credit.
Best advice is buy what you can afford to pay for in full.
On a used pin cash and NiB I prefer a credit card which I pay off in full.

#7 10 years ago

cash only...if I cant scrape up cash to pay in full then I cant afford the pin.

#8 10 years ago

I have Predator on a credit card. I have 0% on my card and it makes sense for a preorder, because if we do have to cancel then a refund is much easier to ensure than if I had sent cash. If I am buying outright from someone local, then I am paying with cash. For the 3 we had shipped in sight unseen, we payed with a credit card to protect the buyer/seller, then just paid off the card immediately. I wouldn't put one on a card if I couldn't pay off the card immediately or had 0% like on the pre-order so I can then pay it off once it is in my house.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just curious, do some of you guys buy pins using credit cards or take out loans?

No

Quoted from kaneda:

Or do you go just buy them outright?

Yes

Quoted from kaneda:

paying interest on a pin seems silly.

Yes

#10 10 years ago

It depends. I typically have used cash or check, but prefer to use a credit card (Amex with cash back) if possible but do pay off the balance immediately. I have also borrowed cash from a friend who was happy to take my check when the seller only wanted cash and I had an empty back account until payday.

#11 10 years ago

Cash is king. I've never borrowed or bought by credit card in my 30+ years of collecting.

#12 10 years ago

I have a second mortgage on my house to support the addiction. It is all good.

#13 10 years ago

Amex is evil

#14 10 years ago

Credit hasn't been good to me. If I want something, I find a way to buy it with cash or trade. Pins are a luxury item.

#15 10 years ago

Hobbies should be credit free. If you cant pay for it then you cant afford it

#16 10 years ago

I would be willing to bet more people buy on credit than are willing to admit. When I want a new pin usually something else has to go to afford it.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Hobbies should be credit free. If you cant pay for it then you cant afford it

^^^ this ^^^

#18 10 years ago

I sold a kidney on the black market and loan my kids out for medical testing.

#19 10 years ago

These are toys - not shelter, food, or clothing.

I tried to rationalize using a CC on MetPro. Then, I realized "no....cash only...."

#20 10 years ago

Sperm banks are also a great way to raise cash. Plus, if you ever encounter your new children, you can do as Zippy (see above)

#21 10 years ago

I think buying a pinball machine before the house is paid off is just as bad.

At least cards offer 0% money however.

#22 10 years ago

My real name is King. Cashis King.

My feeling is this. If you can't afford it, the world does not owe you it. Work smart (working dumb just doesn't cut it) and you can get what you want.

#23 10 years ago

Cash money always.

#24 10 years ago

I bought my JP with a credit card that has 0% interest for a year. I paid off the purchase before any interest accrued. I don't see any issues with this approach. Sometimes it's easier to make a monthly payment.

#25 10 years ago

Cash
If I don't have the cash then Icannot aafford it

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Pins are a better investment as of late than paying off a 3% mortgage.

Credit card for extra protection and cash back, and immediately pay off.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

Pins are a better investment as of late than paying off a 3% mortgage.

I paid off a $55K 2nd mortgage (80/20 purchase money on a possible flip) with a few 0% credit cards once

MEGA amortization progress was made lol

I think of a paid off house as an annuity. Except it stays in the family when you die & your own lifestyle choices determine its value instead of an underwriter forecasting your demise.

Disclaimer: I don't know shit

#28 10 years ago

Make a poll and you'll get a better result. Also, im guessing this is more asking about buying NIB or games from retailers

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

So we millennials who are fortunate enough to have a job with enough income to afford a mortage can't also buy pinball machines? I'm not going to live a life without entertainment just so I can pay my house off a few years earlier. Geeze, I'd be in my late 50's before I'd ever get to do anything fun! I view the mortgage as a cheaper alternative to renting with the benefit of equity, and if I stay in the same place for long enough, the benefit of the mortgage being paid off at some point and my cost of living going down a bit.

#30 10 years ago

Nope. Haven't bought anything on credit for years, including my new car. Paid 100% with money in the bank for all pins and other large purchases.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I think there are very few people who are able to completely pay off their house, even in a hobby like this where there are a lot of guys who make a very good living.

I'd be curious what the average age of your typical collector is. I'm 36...that might be for a different thread though...

Bottom line, don't go broke for a pin

#32 10 years ago

The key is to build your collection. I built mine over years of buying, fixing, selling and keeping the pins I couldn't let go.

Sure I spent a good chunk of coin along with some blood sweat and tears to build what I have but I've also met many good friends along the way.

It's way more rewarding to build instead of to buy.

My $0.02

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I have Predator on a credit card. I have 0% on my card and it makes sense for a preorder, because if we do have to cancel then a refund is much easier to ensure than if I had sent cash. If I am buying outright from someone local, then I am paying with cash. For the 3 we had shipped in sight unseen, we payed with a credit card to protect the buyer/seller, then just paid off the card immediately. I wouldn't put one on a card if I couldn't pay off the card immediately or had 0% like on the pre-order so I can then pay it off once it is in my house.

Where do people get these 0% APR cards at?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Nope. Haven't bought anything on credit for years, including my new car. Paid 100% with money in the bank for all pins and other large purchases.

Matter of preference, but taking out a low interest loan such as an auto loan, is a good financial decision.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

So we millennials who are fortunate enough to have a job with enough income to afford a mortage can't also buy pinball machines? I'm not going to live a life without entertainment just so I can pay my house off a few years earlier. Geeze, I'd be in my late 50's before I'd ever get to do anything fun! I view the mortgage as a cheaper alternative to renting with the benefit of equity, and if I stay in the same place for long enough, the benefit of the mortgage being paid off at some point and my cost of living going down a bit.

I'm 35

Am I millennial?

Edit: my house isn't paid off yet.. That's why I only have 3 pins lol

#36 10 years ago

Cash only, if you don't have the money for it you're in the wrong hobby. Are you going to buy a Tron LE or start another worthless WTB thread?

Steve

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

Matter of preference, but taking out a low interest loan such as an auto loan, is a good financial decision.

Eh, been there done that. Financed my share of cars. Came to a realization that I don't need credit. A buddy of mine put down a half a mil on an 875,000K house a few years back.. it can be done without credit (he almost did). It's the power of limits as well.

#38 10 years ago

If I can't pay cash for the game then I shouldn't be buying it, I would never take a loan to buy a pin. Credit card for nib is ok buy the distributors will charge you their fee or split it with you. Just my 2 cents

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Wow. 50's. You'd be SO OLD

You'll get there... some of us are just about there

As long as you work hard and smart, you can get to the point where you earn more than you spend.

#40 10 years ago

Cash only no credit.

#41 10 years ago

I've used cash. I've used credit. I've taken out a loan.

I don't live beyond my means, though some might say any loan is technically living beyond your means.

I learned three years ago that the time we have on this hunk of rock isn't guaranteed, no matter your age, so I intend to live life and enjoy it. Every day.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

#42 10 years ago

I almost never use cash. Everything that can goes on the CC and gets paid off at the end of each month. I don't pay a dime in interest and have a rewards card that gives me 2% back on everything. Also for most purchases the manufacture warranty gets doubled....if you remember to save the receipt.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Starbuck77:

I think there are very few people who are able to completely pay off their house, even in a hobby like this where there are a lot of guys who make a very good living.
I'd be curious what the average age of your typical collector is. I'm 36...that might be for a different thread though...
Bottom line, don't go broke for a pin

My house was paid off a few years ago, cars paid off and pins paid for in cash only. Also have two kids in college and another going in a few years. Just turned 50.

#44 10 years ago

Cars and pins paid in cash. If I don't have the cash then I don't buy it. Screw the banking industry.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

2% back on everything

What card is that?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

What card is that?

Capitol One

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

I almost never use cash. Everything that can goes on the CC and gets paid off at the end of each month. I don't pay a dime in interest and have a rewards card that gives me 2% back on everything. Also for most purchases the manufacture warranty gets doubled....if you remember to save the receipt.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with buying with a credit card, paying off that month, and getting all the rewards points. Not to mention the extended warranty and other perks a credit card can provide when used for purchasing. Just don't carry a balance with a high APR.

#48 10 years ago

I've used a credit card to do a NIB purchase with a dealer, but just as an easy way to do it over the phone, my card is paid in full every month, always, I never make payments on it. If you're going to pay it off immediately then whatever, it's just a way to shuffle money, but if you can't afford to throw the cash at the card when the statement is due then don't buy the game.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I'm 35
Am I millennial?

Grew up on Ninja Turtles = not a Millennial
Grew up on Power Rangers = Millennial

There you go, cut and dry.

Steve

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from DJSLYKE:

Grew up on Ninja Turtles = not a Millennial
Grew up on Power Rangers = Millennial
There you go, cut and dry.
Steve

They didn't let us watch TV in rehab

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,600 (OBO)
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 149.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-guys-take-our-loans-or-buy-games-with-credit-cards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.