(Topic ID: 32869)

DMD Extender

By DoctorPinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PersonalDmd.jpg
    dracdmd1.jpg
    tealpurple.jpg
    tealpurple1.jpg
    2013-03-31_15.52.09.jpg
    2013-03-31_15.47.17.jpg
    2013-03-29_00.00.00.jpg
    2013-03-27_20.14.33.jpg
    2013-03-27_20.15.14.jpg
    williamspurple.jpg
    williamsgreen.jpg
    2013-03-27_11.43.55.jpg
    2013-03-26_20.09.59.jpg
    russcore1.jpg
    2013-03-26_14.11.07.jpg
    2013-03-26_14.45.55.jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

That apron thing is awesome.!!!!!!!

#52 11 years ago

That apron LCD is stunning!

#53 11 years ago

A few more pics of a resized custom background image and some different colours:

2013-03-27_11.43.55.jpg2013-03-27_11.43.55.jpg williamsgreen.jpgwilliamsgreen.jpg williamspurple.jpgwilliamspurple.jpg

#54 11 years ago

Where would one be able to get one of those?

#56 11 years ago

The installation instructions PDF on that site won't download. Bah.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

The installation instructions PDF on that site won't download. Bah.

Seems my ISP has a problem with transatlantic comms! It works fine from UK but that's no consolation I guess - please keep trying, it will download.

#58 11 years ago

That projector is epic great for Halloween in front if the house whilst playing taf
    And the idea of colouring each pixel on each frame is worth it on any game that's the thing that CDMD lacks

#59 11 years ago

That apron LCD is absolutely brilliant! It'd be perfect for my sister-in-law who can't seem to bring her head up to watch the DMD to learn the current mode situation.........ever.

And don't get me wrong about all the patent stuff. Nothing would please me more than being able to do my own coloring of animations for certain games and specific animations I feel are the "wrong color" from ColorDMD and share them here. I truly believe this to be a brilliant product and this kind of stuff SHOULD be open source.

I also believe that almost any mod I want to do, I should be able to make for myself. This falls into that category completely. I'm a huge supporter of this Extender project, I just want to make sure he doesn't get shut down before his product gets its chance to really shine!

#60 11 years ago

I'm a huge supporter of this Extender project

Yeah, me too. I take it you ordered one then?

Heres a few picd showing another background:

2013-03-27_20.15.14.jpg2013-03-27_20.15.14.jpg 2013-03-27_20.14.33.jpg2013-03-27_20.14.33.jpg

#61 11 years ago

So the apron thing displays the image on the DMD of just a static custom image?

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

So the apron thing displays the image on the DMD of just a static custom image?

The Extender shows exactly what's shown on the DMD i.e. the full animated dot image, plus you can add your own graphics to surround the dot matrix portion of the screen. It's fully configurable so you can set where the DMD is displayed on the screen and create graphics to suit as a surround.

An example would be to configure the dot matrix portion to sit at the bottom of the screen and infill the large space left at the top of the screen with a game related graphic (supplied as a bitmap and placed on the Extender SD Card by you).

In the attachments from Russo121 he has selected to place the dot matrix portion in the centre of the screen and provided a bitmap that fills in above and below the dot matrix.

Have a look at my website to see it in action and for usage and installation instructions...
    http://www.drpinball.co.uk

#63 11 years ago

You can place any image around the output text of the DMD extender. The image (dracula logo, and love never dies below it) is stationary, but the text is displayed and animated just like on a standard DMD.

#64 11 years ago

Very cool gadget I can see a few very good applications for this. NF apron looks amazing very nice work. I also like the projector idea as done on the TFTC.

#65 11 years ago

How much for the Apron "DMD" kit?

#66 11 years ago

It's not a kit. That's something someone did with one of his DMD extenders.

#67 11 years ago

Impressive use of the extender on the apron, but I have my doubts on what it looks like with the lights on. I'm sure it can be worked into something that looks nice, but I'm guessing, like many of my past dates...it looks better with the lights off.

#68 11 years ago

Is it a distraction at all to have it there Russo? I can't help but think i would get distracted by it if it was there on my machines.

#69 11 years ago

I imagine that would make the game a lot more fun for me. I hate looking up to see the DMD. Given a preference I'd move the real DMD down there on a lot of games.

#70 11 years ago

Theres no distraction for me, in fact i really like it where my eyes are. Perhaps moving it over to the right hand side would be that little bit better but i havent tried that as yet.

Someone else mentioned to me that it may be possbile to use a splitter so you could use twin monitors in both score card locations. Still yet to try that, but sounds like it could work.

How it looks in the daytime is the same as night really. Mostly just looks like someone placed a mini screen directly over the scorecard location. Of course, you could try other screens (not many out there that fit as nicely and cost as little as this one does) and make the install look much better (i.e: flush fit into apron) but this would require some modification to the apron and i like my mods to be 100% reversable.

You could always decase a mini monitor like this and make your own surround for it (incorporating boulders for wh20, daggers for Shadow, Trolls for MM...etc...) You could take it further by making custom monitor surrounds that tie in with flashers for that 'in your face' effect or simply to draw attention to the monitor when in a certain mode/feature.

2013-03-29_00.00.00.jpg2013-03-29_00.00.00.jpg

#71 11 years ago

Love the idea of a flush mounted apron LCD with a custom bezel. Flashers on the apron, though... that would be uncomfortable. There's a reason flashers tend to be at the back half of a playfield.

#72 11 years ago

I bet this would look cool in the back of the playfield like CV. Of course you'd need a different size monitor, but I always like the placement of the DMD on CV. It makes it so easy to see all of the animations and scoring when you are playing.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Love the idea of a flush mounted apron LCD with a custom bezel. Flashers on the apron, though... that would be uncomfortable. There's a reason flashers tend to be at the back half of a playfield.

Perhaps flashers would be too much yeah, but how about a simple larsen scanner type setup that ties into the flasher circuit with some lower brightness leds?

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I bet this would look cool in the back of the playfield like CV. Of course you'd need a different size monitor, but I always like the placement of the DMD on CV. It makes it so easy to see all of the animations and scoring when you are playing.

Theres no reason you couldn't build smaller screens into features already on the playfield (TZ TV mod with dmd info from the extender? - if you can find one small enough that is)

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

Perhaps flashers would be too much yeah, but how about a simple larsen scanner type setup that ties into the flasher circuit with some lower brightness leds?

I'd have to see it to grasp why, I guess. The idea of additional lights on the apron isn't grabbing me. IMO flashing lights should be reserved for gameplay information. If it were tied to some delivery of information to the player it might work.

#75 11 years ago

Monitor on the apron is brilliant. If not a kit now let me know when it is available.

#76 11 years ago

I believe David is planning on an apron kit of some sort but i'll leave him to explain that as i dont want to steal his thunder. For now, a few more pics:

2013-03-31_15.47.17.jpg2013-03-31_15.47.17.jpg 2013-03-31_15.52.09.jpg2013-03-31_15.52.09.jpg tealpurple1.jpgtealpurple1.jpg tealpurple.jpgtealpurple.jpg

#77 11 years ago

The apron display is great. I want one.

#78 11 years ago

I stand corrected. The apron display looks good even with the lights on. I figured it was a bulky frame with a bundle of wires and mess everywhere. I was guessing that is why all of the pics were super close ups of the screen with the lights off.

It looks nice and tidy. With a bit of work and possibly a plastic frame or something to pop in the card holding corners...it would look factory.

#79 11 years ago

Can you give us the reference of your small monitor ? Anyone with suggestions for monitors which could be an even better fit ?

#80 11 years ago

As Russo121 said, I'm working on a screen kit. It'll have a custom screen surround, power supply board and necessary connecting cables. This will take a couple of weeks to get going but I'll keep you updated with progress.

Cheers.

#81 11 years ago

"that's neat !"

#82 11 years ago

Okay the apron DMD is freaking awesome!

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

I believe David is planning on an apron kit of some sort but i'll leave him to explain that as i dont want to steal his thunder. For now, a few more pics:

colored dots for No Fear raises my interest level in No Fear,
    ohh how I'll own one again and soon.

#84 11 years ago

I showed the DMD extender project to a friend of mine who is a pinball professional. He found the idea very interesting. He immediately asked if he could put some ads on this apron screen. It could be nice if we could alternate the DMD with some other pictures or videos.
    Maybe your software could detect the game over mode through the raspberry GPIO ?
    If your design is open enough your DMD extender could be customized to replace a lot of other mods (Creature holo replacement, color DMD, in playfield custom small screen, etc...).

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from firepawa:

He immediately asked if he could put some ads on this apron screen.

I really hope you don't mean advertisements.

#86 11 years ago

yes I meant advertisements for his company like renting a pinball machine for party or week end. I think it is good for the product if professionals are interested in it. I don't suggest that all of us put ads on our beloved machines... but the more versatile the product is the more it will sell.

#87 11 years ago

But the idea of ads on a machine on location makes a lot of sense, esp if the operator gets a cut. If it helps ops put more machines on location that's a good thing.

viperrwk

#88 11 years ago

There is already room in the DMD scroll for text ads.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

This is not serious You can't do advertisement with 2 or 4 lines of text which appear maybe once every minute on the DMD... and even less try to convince people to not do drugs

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Having worked in the technology media business for over 25 years I can say you need something that is connected, supports standard ad formats and can be pushed to a wide audience easily. This project is a long way from that but has the potential. Sorry to say that programming individual DMDs on individual machines does not have that potential.

viperrwk

#91 11 years ago

Pretty much agreed. I'm just sick of being bombarded with advertisements every place I look. I mean *every place*. I really don't like the potential for replacing attract mode on a game with attract mode for an advertiser.

#92 11 years ago

I totally agree with you on that. I personally live in the countryside far from the cities and their advertisement pollution and I don't watch TV. However I think it would be good for the product if it can please operators as well as enthusiasts.
    I wouldn't put ads on the aprom DMD but maybe a slideshow of digital apron cards or maybe even videos of various shots, video tutorials, some episodes for DrWho or even an entire movie for movie related pinball machines...
    There is quite a lot of possibilities if the design of the product is versatile enough with input from the pinball machine.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Pretty much agreed. I'm just sick of being bombarded with advertisements every place I look. I mean *every place*. I really don't like the potential for replacing attract mode on a game with attract mode for an advertiser.

I hear you and completely understand.

But I would prefer a game on location with an ad in attract mode than no game on location at all.

And at least there are no ads here on Pinside - yet.

viperrwk

#94 11 years ago

The logical conclusion is probably that the Ad Stream is the only maintained part of a lot of games. The game sucks, the rubbers are broken, one flipper is dead, but hey it's still showing ads consistently.

#95 11 years ago

Any ideas about adding Stern games to the support list?

This would be awesome.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

The logical conclusion is probably that the Ad Stream is the only maintained part of a lot of games. The game sucks, the rubbers are broken, one flipper is dead, but hey it's still showing ads consistently.

That is probably true.
    Of course you could tie it in that if the game has an operator alert it shuts the ad stream down and doesn't turn it back on until the alert is cleared. Advertisers don't want to be associated with a crap product.
    Unfortunately, I doubt this would ever happen.

viperrwk

#97 11 years ago

Too bad the only commercial 4 LCD I'm aware of is 43" diagonal.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Too bad the only commercial 4 LCD I'm aware of is 43" diagonal.

That would make a hell of a topper.

Arcade near here has a red large Sega format DMD as a topper for a Stern Spiderman. It's pretty sweet.

#99 11 years ago

Very cool concept, well done! I can see this being a really nice tool to have for tournaments and such, or if you just want to show off how badass you are at pinball.

Would be neat if this slotted in place of the translite, displayed the normal translight background when in attract mode and a magnified score while playing. Monitor size restrictions would make this difficult...

#100 11 years ago

As far as i am aware, David plans on updating the extender to allow rolling images in the header space. I'm sure he will be able to explain this further, but he is still working on the apron screen solution at the moment.

You can make an image and have that image above and below the dot matix output right now. No reason you couldn't place an ad in there if you so wished.

Currently, the extender also works without the need for the original dmd to be connected. This opens up the further possibility of using a laptop screen or similar as a dmd replacement if you so choose.

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-extender/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.