Did this letter from Williams mark the end of factory playfield Mylar?

Started 4 months ago by RustyLizard in forum Game manufacturersBally/Williams.

Did this letter from Williams mark the end of factory playfield Mylar?

Topic summary

• Started 4 months ago by RustyLizard
  • 6 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Magic_Mike

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #

I thought this was kind of interesting. This letter came with a Bad Cats. Has anyone seen a BC with factory Mylar? Any games after this date have it?

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #

Poor adhesion had nothing to do with it.

Their XR-7 project was almost at the end of it's testing phase and would be unveiled as Diamond Plate that following year.

The *real* reason for no more full playfield mylars.

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #

I saw a letter like that in an Earthshaker I had as well

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #

My Bad Cats has factory mylar.

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #

An EATPM I had came with the same letter

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #
    indypinhead said:

My Bad Cats has factory mylar.

Does yours have a painted cab or decals?

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #
    Magic_Mike said:

Poor adhesion had nothing to do with it.
    Their XR-7 project was almost at the end of it's testing phase and would be unveiled as Diamond Plate that following year.
    The *real* reason for no more full playfield mylars.

I thought of that but there were games where some had Diamondplate and some didn't. Wouldn't they have considered Mylar on those that didn't?

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #
    RustyLizard said:

Does yours have a painted cab or decals?

painted

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #

As far as I understood it, even with DiamondPlate playfields, the ops could order the full mylar set and install it themselves. I know for certain this is what happened with my TAF. There's a little piece of dirt under it that would've never passed inspection at the factory.

4 months, 2 weeks ago
    #
    RustyLizard said:

I thought of that but there were games where some had Diamondplate and some didn't. Wouldn't they have considered Mylar on those that didn't?

The early DP playfields had various types of issues when it was released. It was horrible!

I remember WMS actually putting full playfield mylars *over* the Diamond Plate in the meantime until they got it right. They didn't want to scrap all of those playfields.

During that time, you could still buy the full playfield mylars.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple