IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG
IMG_6376.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG
IMG_6377.JPG
image-791.jpg
image-137.jpg
IMG_6299.JPG
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Picked up a project Demo Man in complete working condition but needing a good tear down and from a Pinside guy’s friend (thanks to the Allentown thread) who had a nice one that needs cleaned up. It’s in good shape and the only thing he saw it needed was some optos for the VUK, flipper bats and rebuild, Williams logo speaker grills, and lots of cleaning (Perfect small project for me). After I threw in some VUK opto’s and resoldered a dry solder joint on the VUK’s coil it was 100% working just as he said. Another kind Pinsider sold me some Williams speaker logo grills which I also installed already. I’ve had it for a few weeks and finally had some time last night to tear it down. I took a bunch of pictures, and then more pictures. Now I see why everyone bitches about the reassembly because it’s involved. Things have to come apart and go together certain ways. It has the typical plastics that are broken and the right ramp will need some work for the diverter. I need to pick up a new car crash cover and back right wall plastic too. I've already removed the old dollar bill validator. I'll take any weight savings on this beast I can!

I’ve stripped the top side short of the posts and removed the few sections of mylar at the inlane ball drops, pop bumpers, behind the main ramp, and at the retinal scan. I normally wouldn’t bother but they mylar was lifting at some inserts and will never see the abuse like on route anyway. I’m doing a pop bumper rebuild, adding some GI lights to the back plastics where the flashers are with the translucent blue is as TNT has done as I like that look. I plan on also adding a GI light to the red retinal scan saucer plastic. I’ve done it for my Whirlwind as it looks nice lit up. I’ve already put on a set of chromed handles from Mike Chestnut. It will need a new DMD display as this one is outgassing and lost the last two vertical lines. Looks like a Color DMD will be coming for the TAF

Other plans when complete are the Demolition Time and swear ROM’s, some touch ups on the back box and enjoy it. Really enjoy following so many others on here posting pics of their projects, restores, shop outs, etc. so hoping these find somebody else who enjoys this as much as I do theirs.

Bringing it home:
IMG_5880.JPGIMG_5880.JPG
IMG_5878.JPGIMG_5878.JPG
IMG_5905.JPGIMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5923.JPGIMG_5923.JPG
IMG_5922.JPGIMG_5922.JPG
IMG_5694.JPGIMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5695.JPGIMG_5695.JPG
IMG_5967.JPGIMG_5967.JPG
IMG_5968.JPGIMG_5968.JPG
IMG_5954.JPGIMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5955.JPGIMG_5955.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Some parts torn down. I like the Porsche that looks like the car crash has taken its toll on the rear bumper cover because it was gone! New DM Olds 442 ready to be put in it's place. The eyeball had a smaller pinball in its place. The seller was nice enough to give me a new eyeball though. I tend to use the "tailgate" layout technique. One day I'll invest in a folding table... The truck doesn't get used much so it makes a great table.
DSCN2040.JPGDSCN2040.JPG
DSCN2041.JPGDSCN2041.JPG
DSCN2042.JPGDSCN2042.JPG
DSCN2030.JPGDSCN2030.JPG
DSCN2031.JPGDSCN2031.JPG
DSCN2032.JPGDSCN2032.JPG
DSCN2033.JPGDSCN2033.JPG
DSCN2034.JPGDSCN2034.JPG
DSCN2035.JPGDSCN2035.JPG
DSCN2036.JPGDSCN2036.JPG
DSCN2039.JPGDSCN2039.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Congrats on bringing it back to life and handles from Mike Chestnut look great.

#4 10 years ago

The back box, speaker grills and the current ROM's:
IMG_5959.JPGIMG_5959.JPG
IMG_5960.JPGIMG_5960.JPG
SAM_0643.JPGSAM_0643.JPG
SAM_0644.JPGSAM_0644.JPG
IMG_5914.JPGIMG_5914.JPG
IMG_5862.JPGIMG_5862.JPG

The ramp needing repaired... Will be using a socket to bend some spare ramp entrances to "fix".
IMG_5907.JPGIMG_5907.JPG
DSCN2037.JPGDSCN2037.JPG

#5 10 years ago

nice job on the right ramp fix!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

nice job on the right ramp fix!

Thanks. Prefer to replace the ramp, but since that likely won't happen, wanted to find a solution that looks sort of appropriate.

#7 10 years ago

Tear down shots:
DSCN2013.JPGDSCN2013.JPG
DSCN1997.JPGDSCN1997.JPG
DSCN1999.JPGDSCN1999.JPG
DSCN2004.JPGDSCN2004.JPG
DSCN2008.JPGDSCN2008.JPG
DSCN2009.JPGDSCN2009.JPG
DSCN2010.JPGDSCN2010.JPG
DSCN2011.JPGDSCN2011.JPG

#8 10 years ago

Parts are tumbling now. Somewhat overkill, but I might as well do it right. I should pull the posts but they don't look bad and I really am not seeing the need. If I was swapping the playfield maybe.
DSCN2019.JPGDSCN2019.JPG

As it sits as of today:
DSCN2025.JPGDSCN2025.JPG
DSCN2026.JPGDSCN2026.JPG
DSCN2027.JPGDSCN2027.JPG
DSCN2028.JPGDSCN2028.JPG
DSCN2029.JPGDSCN2029.JPG
DSCN2021.JPGDSCN2021.JPG
DSCN2022.JPGDSCN2022.JPG
DSCN2023.JPGDSCN2023.JPG
DSCN2024.JPGDSCN2024.JPG

#9 10 years ago

Next step is to remove the large posts and buff them out. Then cleaning with some Treasure Cove love. Hoping it brings back the shine as it should. The PF is in good shape.

#10 10 years ago

Great Thread Dave, I like the ramp fix idea you had. I do have to apologize to you though, because I didn't know the game was so dirty till you posted the tear down pictures (this is David in case you don't recognize my screen name). At least the Last Action Hero was shopped and ready to go! Keep posting updates!

#11 10 years ago

Was hoping you’d find this thread. No apologies needed David! You told me it needed cleaning and some love. It should really come out nice. LAH looks and working great! Thank you again. Hammerhead1550 is a great guy to deal with to anyone looking to deal with him.

#12 10 years ago

DM is fun project I think to shop. It's always nice to bring a game back to players quality. I like those chrome handles, mine are thrashed but play perfect. I have backbox decals i'll install whenever I have time lol

#13 10 years ago

i see your ball drop for the left outer orbit is worn on the pf. i'd repair that and seal it, sometimes balls can get hung up on that worn area believe it or not,with just that little chip.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe some mylar there too?

#15 10 years ago

maybe a bit of plastic wood? then maybe brush some clear on and wetsand? that's what I would do if I had it stripped to the pf. or you could just put a piece of cut mylar over it and keep it simple. how handy are you? its one of those issues you could leave be, trailer fix (mylar), or try to fill the worn area and seal it. i'm no pro, but I've done it on 3 playfields I think

I don't think cliffy makes a protector you could just put over it? that would resolve it easily

#16 10 years ago

I'm very handy mechanically but woodworking I suck. I don't think I have the skills for it but will give it some research. Leaning towards the trailer method. Assuming by the left orbit drop your referring to the metal ramp center shot or are you meaning the left habitrail drop leading to left flipper? But agree the sealing is the right choice.

maybe a bit of plastic wood? then maybe brush some clear on and wetsand? that's what I would do if I had it stripped to the pf. or you could just put a piece of cut mylar over it and keep it simple. how handy are you? its one of those issues you could leave be, trailer fix (mylar), or try to fill the worn area and seal it. i'm no pro, but I've done it on 3 playfields I think
I don't think cliffy makes a protector you could just put over it? that would resolve it easily

#17 10 years ago

First wave of tumbling is done. Started the treasure cove on the playfield tonight.
image-320.jpgimage-320.jpgimage-75.jpgimage-75.jpgimage-918.jpgimage-918.jpgimage-580.jpgimage-580.jpgimage-460.jpgimage-460.jpgimage-725.jpgimage-725.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#18 10 years ago

That looks great Dave, the polishing is making it shine!

#19 10 years ago

Nice work. I've just done the same to a DM. It's a great looking machine when it's all shiny

#20 10 years ago

its your ball scoop/drop that starts multi ball modes...the outer left orbit. looks nice so far!

#21 10 years ago

Gotcha! Thanks, I see what you mean. Yes, that should be a good fix with some wood filler epoxy. I was thinking the wear at the front ramp drop...

#22 10 years ago

keep up the good work, looking forward to following your thread.. Demo Man is great game...

#23 9 years ago

Made some progress yesterday. Wrapped up the rest of the Treasure Cove treatment. So far the product hasn't separated on me but will be trying some of other Meguiar's products I use on my cars in the future. Installed the new targets, pop bumpers with new light sockets, most of the lane guides, new flipper rebuilds, and flipper bats. Found that the center ramp wire gate and some other parts needed some tumbling while cleaning up the metal parts.

Limited edition White Monkey finished off the night...
IMG_6051-228.JPGIMG_6051-228.JPG

IMG_6034.JPGIMG_6034.JPG
IMG_6044.JPGIMG_6044.JPG
IMG_6055.JPGIMG_6055.JPG
IMG_6052.JPGIMG_6052.JPG

#24 9 years ago

awe man, are those super bands? ugggg.

#25 9 years ago

awe man, are those super bands? ugggg.

It was that or blue rubber which I've had bad luck with. But I like the superbands!

#26 9 years ago

Look-n Really Sharp cool .. Are you planning on adding Newer Sound & game roms ?

#27 9 years ago

Yes B_R! Will be going with the latest and swear ROMs.

#28 9 years ago

Some more parts came today. New car tunnel, slings, and diverter plunger came from Spare Parts Australia. Not too much progress. I ran out of 3” rubber rings so they should be in tomorrow along with new lane guides and a few other odds and ends. I did realize that I’m short the small plastic that goes below the right pop bumper and can’t find one for sale anywhere or missed it. Does anyone have one of these floating around or can easily scan it?
IMG_6072.JPGIMG_6072.JPG
IMG_6066.JPGIMG_6066.JPG
IMG_6068.JPGIMG_6068.JPG
IMG_6070.JPGIMG_6070.JPG

#29 9 years ago

Few more:
IMG_6082.JPGIMG_6082.JPG
IMG_6083.JPGIMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6089.JPGIMG_6089.JPG

#30 9 years ago

Plastic I'm missing is circled in red:
IMG_6072 missing plastic.jpgIMG_6072 missing plastic.jpg

#31 9 years ago

This is the plastic I need:
IMG_6072 missing plastic needed.jpgIMG_6072 missing plastic needed.jpg

#32 9 years ago

PM PinWow ,, That guy has Parts for Everything !!

#33 9 years ago

Thanks B_R. Will reach out to him/her.

Had some time yesterday afternoon to tackle cleaning up the wireforms. Never a fun task but they came out ok.
IMG_6161.JPGIMG_6161.JPG
IMG_6162.JPGIMG_6162.JPG
IMG_6165.JPGIMG_6165.JPG
IMG_6168.JPGIMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6154.JPGIMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6159.JPGIMG_6159.JPG

#34 9 years ago

Some more progress but waiting for a few last plastics to show up to finish the job. Installed new CT bulbs. Also followed several people like B_R for the ACMAG lights using red and blue CT frosted premiums. Cool white frosted in GI and super's for inserts using Cyan for the freeze inserts. I also went with blue flasher domes and blue CT 906 super's. The signs are all CT premium frosteds. I added some CT Frosted blue 44’s in the back upper plastics where the flashers are but not sure I like how they look. Maybe need incandescents or remove them all together. It just shows off where the lights are rather than light up the blue transparencies in them. Should have some pics soon of the lighting.

I put in new clear plastics and got to put my rivet press to work between the two clear plastics and the one broken back right plastic. I'm using the Pin Restore kit with the Harbor Freight arbor press. So far I'm happy. I've used it for the Addams Family plastics and it did take getting used to from a traditional rivet tool but it does a nice job and makes quick work of the new rivets.

I also installed clear plastic protectors since I was able to source almost all new plastics and want to protect the new ones as best as possible.

I’m waiting to install the center plastic ramp and permanently attach the wire form ramps until the last few plastics show up.

IMG_6232.JPGIMG_6232.JPG

One of the old yellow plastics:
IMG_6207.JPGIMG_6207.JPG

#35 9 years ago

looking sweet!

#36 9 years ago

Thanks! It never moves quick enough for me but waiting for parts overseas adds delays.

These are the lights I added. They're too obvious. Maybe will try some flex 44's facing up or down if incandescents don't work out.
image-471.jpgimage-471.jpg

#38 9 years ago

Shot showing the missing plastic.
image-848.jpgimage-848.jpg
image-690.jpgimage-690.jpg

#39 9 years ago

Lighting overall. So close...

Hard to tell in the picture but I did out in a flex red in for the red saucer wired to GI lighting.
image-531.jpgimage-531.jpg

Thinking I'll change the 4 modes in the center to different colors.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

This is the plastic I need:

IMG_6072 missing plastic needed.... 6 KB

Yeah I am after one of those as well, I have a bit of mine left as you can see with the part number on it. I tried to google it and looked at all the usual sites but didn't even find an out of stock listing. I also need a new 31-1919-16 plastic like a lot of other folks.

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

PM me if anyone has either plastic (op gets first bite of the 31-1919-17 though).

Op - your DM is looking sweet, just stocking up on bits before shopping mine and hopefully it will look as nice as yours.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Yeah I am after one of those as well, I have a bit of mine left as you can see with the part number on it. I tried to google it and looked at all the usual sites but didn't even find an out of stock listing. I also need a new 31-1919-16 plastic like a lot of other folks.

PM me if anyone has either plastic (op gets first bite of the 31-1919-17 though).
Op - your DM is looking sweet, just stocking up on bits before shopping mine and hopefully it will look as nice as yours.
photo 2.JPG 127 KB

Thanks for the compliment. Can you pull it off and scan it in? Should be pretty easy and being not in the normal line of sight, making it yourself with some lexan would be easy. That’s my plan but haven’t even found any scans. I may just try and create something as best as I can using some of the scans of the others and try and reproduce it.

#42 9 years ago

The last of the plastics showed up Saturday so I had no excuse to not put more work into it. I got the new plastics on and fitted all the ramps after cleaning them one by and one and polishing all the ball gates and their brackets.

I took one of the spare ramp entrances and fitted it. It's been working great and blends in. It looks like the ramp entrance is actually a support to protect the ramp from the diverter.

I need to get better pictures but ran out of time. Game is complete short of spending some time with backbox lighting. It plays really well and fast. I had about 3 games on it and then started getting a two ball multiball when I shouldn't. Turned out that the ball 1 transmitter LED opto had broken and I don't have replacements short of robbing one off my RS board. So game is done awaiting a new LED.

Some poor pics:
IMG_6299.JPGIMG_6299.JPG
IMG_6300.JPGIMG_6300.JPG

#43 9 years ago

"john sparton...what are you doin here?"....."I've been dreaming about killin your for 40 years phoenix"

#44 9 years ago

looks great, excellent work. i really like those blue superband flipper rubbers. i did some cliffys grey sleeves up around the ramps and top flipper. they blend in pretty well.
ill see if i have that plastic here, i have a bunch of stuff ill sort through.
pinball decals have some nice quality DM target decals too.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

looks great, excellent work. i really like those blue superband flipper rubbers. i did some cliffys grey sleeves up around the ramps and top flipper. they blend in pretty well. ill see if i have that plastic here, i have a bunch of stuff ill sort through.

Thanks Ledge and appreciate you looking for the plastic. Even broken would be fine. I did some Cliffy posts here and there and went with some yellow behind the yellow stand up targets and threw some blue, silvers and red around just to take a look. Care to share your pictures? Here or PM is fine.

#46 9 years ago

I have that plastic piece still intact on mine DM (I think as the ramp is pretty dirty still). I'll pull it out and scan it as soon as I can (maybe tonight) for you if you still need it.

#47 9 years ago

Awesome. Thank you very much!!!

#48 9 years ago

Great thread. I have a DM in transit and should be here on Thursday. I'm excited to start digging in to it. Can you explain or post a couple shots of how you wired those lights along the crane at the back of the playfield? I really like how it looks. Thanks and great job!

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Great thread. I have a DM in transit and should be here on Thursday. I'm excited to start digging in to it. Can you explain or post a couple shots of how you wired those lights along the crane at the back of the playfield? I really like how it looks. Thanks and great job!

This will be a long week waiting for ya! Sure, and I guess I breeze over some things as there wasn’t too much interest or any questions when I first started the thread.

I honestly got the idea from Todd from TNT’s pinball Tech Jason in this video and really liked the idea. Video:

Normally, these only light up when the flashers are active for them. Which is fine but seemed like a waste of that transparent blue area. I did similar to what they did. First I used about 6 or 8 of these (You can choose 555 (wedge) socket or anything else you prefer but I prefer bayonet over wedge:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=291

I then grabbed a drill bit (Thankfully have a CNC machinist friend that gave me a lifetime of drill bits!) and found one that is just a bit larger than the socket. Next measure being extremely careful where the plastics are going to cover (Don’t want to drill a hole you can see or not cover with the plastic!), compare to the back where the flashers (And their respective little boards) are mounted or any wiring (Don’t drill through any of the many wires ran back there!), and mark for the holes you want to make whilst making sure the lights will be hidden behind the plastic. Then I ran some wire from a GI bulb in the back left near the GM Ultralite for the car crash target and ran wire to wire.

As mentioned, they tend to be very obvious using the frosteds so I may try some incandescent to see if the light is more uniform, maybe some flex 44’s facing them away from the plastic (player) or if they still are too obvious, may just pull those bulbs altogether.

So make sure you look at Todd’s video and see if you don’t mind the fact that the bulbs stand out when behind there. It may be why Williams/Dennis Nordman never did either.

#50 9 years ago

Thanks. I've seen that video a couple of times before (while dreaming of owning a DM). I just don't know what's on the back of that board and the wait feels like a long one before I can look at my own. You explained it pretty well. I think I have a good idea of what to expect. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 72.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-project-not-a-restoration-but-bringing-it-back-to-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.