Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Psw757
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

detail-1 (resized).jpg
    detail (resized).jpg
    Altec_3.jpg
    Altec_2.jpg
    Altec_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    PiAS2518bot.png
    PiAS2518top.png
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    sound_board.JPG
    MP3_Cab.jpg

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

But I think for many cases we can use the $2-$3 micro switches and build our own legs for what we need

already working on a design.. and actually microswitches can be had for as little as 50 cents if you look around (remember, doesn't have to carry current, just has to carry signal). Hell, if you just glue a bumpout to an existing leaf switch that's isolated (use a thin piece of plastic), you can just wire up to that.

#103 10 years ago

The MP3 Triggers being sold now should come with the latest firmware. I had bought a backup one near the end of the Ghostbusters project and it was pre-loaded.

I was able to get leaf switches for something like 25 cents each on pbresource's clearence section.

I don't know about this thread causing a shortage on MP3 Triggers. This information is old and there has been threads on pinside about it before. I think this is just a new wave of modders hearing about it for the first time. Welcome aboard!

Brian

#104 10 years ago

The damn stalkers reading but not talking. I have another project so i'm now at 6! However, no need to worry. Most of the stock numbers on amazon are fake or aka not monitored but yet publicized... Power to the people as long as they don't leach. Anyway,... More will come. The number is irrelevant.

That would be me I ordered one yesterday after checking out this thread. I want to add it to my T2 and add some Arnie clips.

Larry

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from amiga500:

That would be me I ordered one yesterday after checking out this thread. I want to add it to my T2 and add some Arnie clips.

Larry

Sweet I hope you have fun and it turns out great.

#106 10 years ago

Found some cheap micro switches that should work rather nice. About 50 cents each free shipping. however, I am not sure if these are the right kind? Rating :15A, 1/2HP, 125/250VAC 0.6A,125VDC; 0.3A, 250VDC

ebay.com link: itm

#107 10 years ago

Well, now that I finally got my Time Line 90% up (still need to mod the pop bumper boards), I finally ordered all the parts for the MP3 Trigger and whatnot. I'm going to try to replace the Time Line sound board altogether seeing how I think I killed it. If I'm lucky, I think I can build a board to interface with the way Gottlieb handled their sound calls with the Trigger board. We'll see in a couple weeks hopefully.

#108 10 years ago

Found some cheap micro switches that should work rather nice. About 50 cents each free shipping. however, I am not sure if these are the right kind? Rating :15A, 1/2HP, 125/250VAC 0.6A,125VDC; 0.3A, 250VDC

Any switch will work. The difficult thing with those micro switches will be figuring out how to mount them so that they will work. You will need to devise some sort of mounting bracket so that they can be mounted at the correct height and orientation especially when mating them with leaf switches.

For my mod I got two leaf switches as they will be used on a rollover and the drain switch which are also both leaf switches. Should be easily able to piggyback them or mount them side by side to the existing leaf switch. I will also be using one micro switch on the drop target reset lever as that type of switch will work best there.

For pinball application each area that you want to switch will need a specific type of switch depending on what will work best. One type will not work for every area.

#109 10 years ago

Yeah, I will be using about 10 Leafs and a bunch of micros. I should be able to either bend the lever or epoxy some acrylic extension. Then I will bend my own brackets for the micros. As well just ordered another board. Had a blast tinkering with it last night. The audio sounded fantastic. So fun.

#110 10 years ago

Had a blast tinkering with it last night. The audio sounded fantastic. So fun.

So you got your board. What are you plugging it in to to listen to it? Headphone or some sort of amplifier speaker set up? I should be getting mine some time this week along with everything else. My sound files are all ready to go too!

#111 10 years ago

OK!! Some of my stuff came in today including the board and the switches. Can't do much with the board as I still need to get the SD card. So I decided to mount the 3 switches.

PHASE 1- Switch installation:

I picked up two leaf switches from Marco Specialties part #180-5006-00. Here is the link:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5006-00

Interestingly even though I ordered 2 of the same switch they sent me 2 slightly different versions as can be seen here in this pic:

Leaf_Switches.jpgLeaf_Switches.jpg

Also shown are the longer 1 1/4 inch screws and the 1/4 inch nylon spacers that are needed for the installation. The switches come with diodes installed but they are not needed so I simply cut them off. These switches work real well because you can easily piggy back the switches on top of the existing leaf switches. They have a plastic "finger" actuator that insures electrical separation but the "finger" is pretty long so a spacer is required. Below is a pic of the original drain hole switch:

DH_Switch.jpgDH_Switch.jpg

And here is a pic of the new leaf switch piggy backed on the drain hole switch:

DH_Stack.jpgDH_Stack.jpg

As you can see the spacer is necessary and a bit of leaf tweaking had to be done. Below is a pic of the installation on the plunger lane switch which needed far less tweaking.

Lane_Stack.jpgLane_Stack.jpg

I also purchased a micro switch part #5647-12693-19. Here is the link and a pic:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5647-12693-19

Micro_Switch.jpgMicro_Switch.jpg

This switch needed to be mounted on the drop target assembly and set up so that it would trigger every time there is a drop target reset. This switch was not that expensive and seemed to have a good length and shape for the actuator wire. Luckily there was a good size hole already correctly located in the drop target assembly frame. I did not need to drill a new hole. The hole was a lot bigger than the bolt so I used a couple of increasingly sized washers to enable the mounting of the bolt. See the pic below:

DT_Stud.jpgDT_Stud.jpg

Continued in next post.

#112 10 years ago

PHASE 1 - Continued

The washers and nut securing the bolt also acts as a spacer for the micro switch giving it some space from the drop target assembly frame. The micro switch is then mounted to the protruding bolt and secured with another washer and nut. The switch is is quite secure and I don't think a second bolt will be needed. See the pics below:

DT_Switch.jpgDT_Switch.jpg
    DT_Switch_2.jpgDT_Switch_2.jpg

When the drop targets reset the reset bar is pulled up by the solenoid thus engaging the micro switch. You can see the micro switch actuator wire resting on the reset bar above. It works real nice.

After I completed the installation of the switches I tested operation of the game and also made sure the new switches were working with a volt/ohm meter. I then soldered the wiring to the switches and routed the wiring along the playfield to the top end and dropped the wires into the playfield cabinet where I plan to mount the MP3 trigger board. Another test of the switch operation was done at the end of the new wiring with the volt/ohm meter to make sure the wiring was sound.

PHASE 2 will involve transferring the MP3 files to the SD card, testing the MP3 Trigger operation and mounting the MPS Trigger board in the cabinet.

Stay tuned for more updates!

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

already working on a design.. and actually microswitches can be had for as little as 50 cents if you look around (remember, doesn't have to carry current, just has to carry signal). Hell, if you just glue a bumpout to an existing leaf switch that's isolated (use a thin piece of plastic), you can just wire up to that.

I was thinking the same thing. What is a "bumpout" I imagine just use a piece of thin/firm plastic and epoxy to the switch with the board wires on the end so its a mini appendix-switch that will make contact. Maybe solder pads to the wires then epoxy the pad to the plastic. Sure wish I could just wire to the existing switch-matrix since I m not using any native audio. ohh well should be a fun challenge.
    I think making my appendix-switch would be fun. For my drop targets I don't have much room to piggy back. Undecided which way I will go.

BTW, I read some people having issues with the board when running lines longer than two feet. ?

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

Interestingly even though I ordered 2 of the same switch they sent me 2 slightly different versions as can be seen here in this pic:

Strange, looks like they sent you some beat up switch from the bone-yard?

Quoted from Jags:

So you got your board. What are you plugging it in to to listen to it? Headphone or some sort of amplifier speaker set up? I should be getting mine some time this week along with everything else. My sound files are all ready to go too!

Both. Powered speakers that have volume control and headphone jacks that will be mounted under the cabinet near the coin door.

#115 10 years ago

Strange, looks like they sent you some beat up switch from the bone-yard?

Yes that one older looking leaf switch most definitely looked like a possible return. That's OK though as it works just fine. Don't want to hassle with trying to return it.

Both. Powered speakers that have volume control and headphone jacks that will be mounted under the cabinet near the coin door.

That's good to know. I've read that there could be problems hooking it up to an amplified speaker setup. I did pick up the components to do the line level output mod but when my computer speakers get here I will try to hook it up without the mod first and see if it works. From what I've heard from you guys here on pinside it should work fine without needing the mod.

I will be hooking it up to an Altec lansing BX-1221 amplified computer speaker setup. I plan to mount the two satellite speakers under the back box one at each side facing the player. The sub will go inside the playfield cabinet. just waiting for it to get here. Here is a pic:

Altec_Lansing_BX1221.jpgAltec_Lansing_BX1221.jpg

BTW, I read some people having issues with the board when running lines longer than two feet. ?

I've read that too. It seems the best thing to do is just try it first and see if there are problems. I suppose not as Betelgeuse didn't seem to have that problem with his setup.

Hopefully some more items show up today and, if so, I will post the progress on the next phase!

Thanks!

#116 10 years ago

I decided to grow my own using the $30 Raspberry Pi as a base...
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ballystern-as2815-3051-soundcard-redesign

Nothing to write home about yet... but I've already done some initial pathfinding with the RasPi.

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

I've read that too. It seems the best thing to do is just try it first and see if there are problems. I suppose not as Betelgeuse didn't seem to have that problem with his setup.

Yea, I haven't experienced this issue either. Some of my wires have to be nearly 6 feet.

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

I will be hooking it up to an Altec lansing BX-1221 amplified computer speaker setup

Just a heads up, I have these speakers for my game room & bedroom TV. You will be surprised how tiny it is. The sub is small enough to hold in one hand. However, the small sub may be rather convenient to mount under the cabinet. As well, I have had some strange humming-feedback from my TV to these speakers on (1) of the TV's but not the other. But, they should produce plenty of sound, but maybe not enough bass mounted inside the cabinet vs under.

I have tested the board on the different speakers I picked up and cranked it up for about an hour and the board did not encounter any issues. Such a fun gadget, with endless potential.

#119 10 years ago

My SD card arrived and here is Phase 2:

PHASE 2 - MP3 Trigger Installation:

This phase was pretty easy and straight forward. Transferred my completed audio files to the SD card and also transferred the .ini file. Hooked up the MP3 trigger to power and headphones for a test run and everything worked. Did find one issue however with the initialization code as presented in the downloaded instructions. When setting up the unit to play a random group of mp3 files "N" in the #RAND N command needs to be the file number of the first random mp3 you want to be part of the group. Not the last mp3 you want excluded. For example in my case I did not want the mp3 file 1&2 included in the random group. According to the instructions the code should be #RAND 2. This did not work as it included mp3 file 2 as part of the group. So I changed it to #RAND 3. That fixed the problem as now only mp3 file 3 and higher are included in the random playing group. Here is the code I used:

#RAND 3
    #TRIG 01, 0, 0
    #TRIG 02, 0, 0
    #TRIG 18, 2, 0

After the successful test I then went ahead and soldered the 3 pairs of switch wires to the MP3 Trigger. The drain hole switch to trigger 1, the plunger lane switch to trigger 2 and the drop target assembly reset switch to trigger 18. Tested the unit again and had no problems or issues with the wire lengths. Everything working as planned!!

I used #4 screws with a 1/4 inch nylon spacers, as shown below, to mount the MP3 Trigger board to the bottom of the playfield cabinet.

Screws.jpgScrews.jpg

And here is the MP3 trigger mounted in the Pin.

MP3.jpgMP3.jpg MP3_Cab.jpgMP3_Cab.jpg

For now I am just using a set of headphones to test and listen to the playback. Also just have the MP3 Trigger plugged into the aux service outlet in the cabinet. Phase 3 will be the installation of the Altec Lansing Computer Speakers. Phase 4 will be installing a new on-off-on master power switch so that I can select, on power up, whether to have the music or not.

More to come!!

#120 10 years ago

they should produce plenty of sound, but maybe not enough bass mounted inside the cabinet vs under.

Rather than having the subwoofer sitting under the cabinet on the floor, I was hoping that by mounting the subwoofer inside the playfield cabinet it would actually help boost the bass as the cabinet would act as a resonator and a sound chamber. I will try it both ways once I get it and see what sounds best.

This is such a great project!!

#121 10 years ago

Just a little pics of my sound board!

sound_board.JPGsound_board.JPG

#122 10 years ago

Just a tip... I think you may find some more issues with the RAND function as you progress. I found that each time I added a file it created issues with this function. The only way to keep it working is to format the SD card and copy all the files back onto it at the same time. At least that was my experience.

Brian

#123 10 years ago

Brian,

Thanks for the heads up I'll try to remember that if I decide to add a few more songs in the future. Right now I'm using the same theme song every time the ball is plunged. The group of 5 random songs are only triggered when the targets reset. This gives me a new random theme song each time I complete the 4 drop down targets which advances the score multiplier. This is not the easiest thing to do so those other themes don't get heard very often.

Thanks for the info though!

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

Just a little pics of my sound board!

Nice set up you got there. Just trying to figure out what you have done. Looks like 2 MP3 Trigger boards with the audio outs going into a couple of volume pots and then going into some sort of amplifier. Is that an amplifier board below the MP3 Triggers? Are you somehow mixing the 2 MP3 Trigger boards together and then feeding the amplifier or are you keeping the MP3 Triggers as separate left and right inputs to the amplifier. I do see what looks like speaker wire heading out of the amplifier. What type of speaker set up will you be using?

I see no power hook-ups to the boards yet and also no trigger inputs. What are your plans for power? What Pin is this installed in?

Keep us posted as it looks like a great project!

#125 10 years ago

The pin is a Dolly parton.

I use 2 MP3 trigger for the left and right input of the amp. I put volume pot to controle both MP3 trigger, one for the background sound and one for all the switch.

I power the MP3 trigger (5 volt) and the AMP (12 volt) with an arcade power supply directly wire on the main switch, when I turn the pin on, everything is power on.

I put some header pin on the MP3 trigger and use some .100 connector back on back to wire the switch

image.jpgimage.jpg

Power supply and speaker

image.jpgimage.jpg

Pop bumper switch

image.jpgimage.jpg

Inlane outlane

image.jpgimage.jpg

Sling shot

image.jpgimage.jpg

Spinner

image.jpgimage.jpg

#126 10 years ago

Redketchup,

Nice work on that Dolly Parton! The header pins on the board is a great idea especially if you are doing a lot of switches. I see some very creative switch mounting that you have done. Always hard to figure out how to best mount the switches. Also an interesting idea to add the second speaker on the cabinet floor. Only problem is it defeats the stereo audio that both of your MP3 Trigger boards could offer. Did you sum the left and right channels coming off of each MP3 Trigger? Or did you decide just to use one channel? I'm sure you got some great Dolly Parton music coming off that setup and it would be a shame to not have it heard in stereo.

Any chance to put up a video so that we can hear what you have created? Would love to see and hear it in action!

#127 10 years ago

If anyone cares; I just submitted my RazPi AS-2518 combo soundcard to OSHPark.

Here's their render of the boards:

PiAS2518top.pngPiAS2518top.png PiAS2518bot.pngPiAS2518bot.png

#128 10 years ago

Redketchup,
    Nice work on that Dolly Parton! The header pins on the board is a great idea especially if you are doing a lot of switches. I see some very creative switch mounting that you have done. Always hard to figure out how to best mount the switches. Also an interesting idea to add the second speaker on the cabinet floor. Only problem is it defeats the stereo audio that both of your MP3 Trigger boards could offer. Did you sum the left and right channels coming off of each MP3 Trigger? Or did you decide just to use one channel? I'm sure you got some great Dolly Parton music coming off that setup and it would be a shame to not have it heard in stereo.
    Any chance to put up a video so that we can hear what you have created? Would love to see and hear it in action!

Thank's

I used one channel on each MP3 trigger, so you're right, no stéréo sound... But my Dolly project is a conversion project, so no country music on that pin!

Video coming soon!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

Thank's

I used one channel on each MP3 trigger, so you're right, no stéréo sound... But my Dolly project is a conversion project, so no country music on that pin!

Video coming soon!

I see. A blank slate to start with! So are you planning to give it some sort of theme? I do see that it spells "VEGAS" up on the stand up targets. This has really got me curious now! Can't wait to see the video!!

#130 10 years ago

Just ordered another MP3 Trigger board. Going to give my old 1972 Williams Super Star some music!! This pin has a great music theme. I played it in the local pool hall when I was a teen. I remember all those great 70's songs by groups like Chicago, Tower of Power, Elton John, BTO, The Doobie Brothers and so so many more. I have a great Time/Life CD collection of all the great 70's hits so I just went through them and picked out about 80 of my all time favorites!

I'm going to keep it simple for this pin as I just want to hear those tunes when I'm playing. I'm going to mount a switch to the drain kick out solenoid so every time a new ball is served it will start a new song. I will set the switch to random so it will always play something different. I'll get five random songs per game, one at the start of every ball! It should create some great incentive to keep the ball from draining so that you can hear a complete song start to finish!

An update to the Star Trek project. My Altec Lansing speaker system should be here on Monday. Will get that installed and present an update here. Been just using headphones for now but I'm really looking forward to get the music and effects through speakers and blended with the original sounds from the pin. Should be totally awesome!

This little MP3 Trigger is just the greatest gizmo for doing these sound mods. I just love it!!

#131 10 years ago

I think it would be amazing to add a switch to your door to your game-room. Each time a person either opens the door via micro switch or a garage door type switch that makes the classic Star Trek door sound.

#132 10 years ago

I think it would be amazing to add a switch to your door to your game-room. Each time a person either opens the door via micro switch or a garage door type switch that makes the classic Star Trek door sound.

That would be easy to do. But you could take it a step further by installing a house wide sound system and wire every door, window, toilet, whatever to a MP3 Trigger Board and broadcast it throughout the house!!!

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

I see. A blank slate to start with! So are you planning to give it some sort of theme? I do see that it spells "VEGAS" up on the stand up targets. This has really got me curious now! Can't wait to see the video!!

#134 10 years ago

Sounds Great!! Interesting choice of music and sound effects. Are you planning any more artwork for the playfield? What about the back glass?

#135 10 years ago

I got my card and I'm just keeping it simple. I'm powering the board with a spare phone/usb charger. Got my terminator sounds ready. I'm just using a powered pc speaker setup and leaving the existing T2 sound alone. However, any ideas on where to put the speakers? I'm not going to drill any holes. I was thinking of maybe mounting them on the rear legs under the cabinet. Inside the cabinet would be too muffled.

Larry

#136 10 years ago

Love this post. Very interesting .
    Thanks for all your information !

#137 10 years ago

A strange thing started to happen with my MP3 Trigger a few days ago. When the ball was sitting in the drain hole closing the number one switch, the number two trigger would sometimes, for no reason, kick in song two. It got so bad that whenever switch one was closed trigger two would constantly retrigger song two a couple of times a second. Here is where it gets even stranger. If I manually held trigger switch one it would still do the same retriggering of song file two - but only sometimes. Sometime I could hold the switch closed and song one would play correctly with no retriggering of song two. What Gives??!!

Then I noticed something. If my other hand was touching the cabinet rail while I manually closed the switch everything work correctly. But as soon as I let go of the rail the unit would start triggering song two like mad!! Somehow my body was acting as some type of ground that prevented the problem! This is really strange as everything had worked fine for a week and then, out of the blue, this started to happen.

For some reason the MP3 Trigger needed ground to the pin to behave. This is really strange as the whole MP3 Trigger system supposed to be isolated from the pin. Well I wasn't going to argue with the situation so I simple soldered a wire to the ground/common point of one of the unused triggers and grounded the other end to the pins ground. Problem solved!! Everything working as it should!

Update on the next phase. My Altec Lansing computer speakers did arrive on Monday. Didn't have a chance to work on hooking it up because I had a chance to score a free pinball machine instead! I've been running a WTB old pinball ad on Craigslist and I got a call on Sunday from someone with a Data East Back to the Future. So I went to check it out on Monday and the guy just gave it to me!!! It's pretty dirty, rubbers are all shot, and the MPU board has major battery damage, otherwise it is in pretty good shape. The GIs do light up and there is a "Back to the Future" call out coming off the sound board when you switch it on. The MPU however does not boot up. Since the MPU is so badly damaged I figured it would be best to simply get a new board. It's been ordered and should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully she will fire up once I get the new board in. Then all I need to do is clean and shop the machine. Off course will be relamping her in LEDs.

It's great to have another project pin since I've pretty much done everything I can to the ones I already have! I should be able to get the Altec Lansing speakers mounted and hooked up tomorrow. I did test them and it sounds great! Will update with a few pics once I get that done.

What a great hobby!!!

#138 10 years ago

PHASE 3 - Altec Lansing Speaker Installation:

I finally got around to installing the Altec Lansing speaker system. This was pretty simple. I chose these speakers because of the size and shape of the 2 satellite speakers. The cylinder shape made it real easy to mount them upside down under each side of the back box as shown below:

Altec_1.jpgAltec_1.jpg Altec_2.jpgAltec_2.jpg

The speakers are light enough that I just used double sided adhesive mounts to mount them under the back box. Routed the cables through the same hole as the power cord. It gives a real clean look and I have easy access to the volume control.

The sub woofer went inside the cabinet as shown below:

Altec_3.jpgAltec_3.jpg

It fits in there perfect and doesn't take up any floor space. But most important it sounds great! You can feel the bass resonating through the cabinet. As I expected the cabinet does act as a resonating chamber and really enhances the output of that small sub woofer.

For now I just have the 2 power supplies plugged into the service outlet as you can also see in the photo. I'm still waiting for my on-off-on switch so I can complete the final phase of the project and wire the power so that I can run the machine with or without the new sounds. I'll cover that in the next installment.

Thanks again!!

#139 10 years ago

I was thinking of mounting a flat speaker panel on my Mirror Universe in the same spot. Great minds think alike.

2 weeks later
    #140 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

If anyone cares; I just submitted my RazPi AS-2518 combo soundcard to OSHPark.blockquote>

I care, but I admit I don't understand it

Just found this thread as a link in another thread, can't believe I haven't seen this before!

Getting some great ideas here!

2 years later
    #141 7 years ago

Resurrecting this old thread again...

Planning on buying the MP3 trigger for my Gamatron projec... I'm keeping the original sound intact, but adding in game music... How do you guys get the music to stop when the ball ends or game over occurs??

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Planning on buying the MP3 trigger for my Gamatron projec... I'm keeping the original sound intact, but adding in game music... How do you guys get the music to stop when the ball ends or game over occurs??

Keep in mind, the mp3 trigger does NOT do polyphonic (IE only one sound at a time). The wav trigger can multiplex tracks. However that is an advantage because by triggering another channel, it interrupts whatever is currently playing. Because of that, whatever sound you want to make the drain, that stops the current background music.

Another option you may want to consider instead of the mp3 trigger, adafruit has some nice small and cheap boards (with integrated memory, but you can also add a usb stick by buying a dongle). $15 gets you 2mb, and 8 trigger tracks:
    https://www.adafruit.com/products/2342?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9IS-BRC4qZXagbLs6uMBEiQAYHBh-40il8aeeZLRK7PBlRICWDtJPUtLPYODSfuk16Rb-KgaAkyk8P8HAQ

You could buy a bunch of these...
    1. Just random music tracks
    2. sound effects for sections of switches
    3. dedicated board for credits, start button

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

How do you guys get the music to stop when the ball ends or game over occurs??

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Keep in mind, the mp3 trigger does NOT do polyphonic (IE only one sound at a time). The wav trigger can multiplex tracks

The wavTrigger from robertsonics is a much better choice than the mp3Trigger for custom pin sounds. Same price, more functionality. I am unfamiliar with the offerings of adafruit or raspPi, so I cannot comment on what they offer, though other programmer friends say they are good.
    But as far as the wavTrigger: if all you want to do is add bg music it is quite simple enough to use one of the physical contact inputs on the WT and wire it to the out hole switch. The programming on the WT has many options including a "STOP All Tracks" function.

I'm currently working on a setup using the WT and an Arduino, with the Arduino using the serial port to communicate with the WT and acting as an "interpreter" between the WT and the original commands the soundboard would have received from the MPU. ..a little more involved on the programming side than the very simple WT utility is. When I get all the kinks worked out, I will be more than happy to share my Arduino sketch. But as I mentioned, the WT utility program is very user-friendly and easy to understand if you are wanting to find a way to use just the WT alone.

checked out www.robertsonics.com I assume?

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

The wavTrigger from robertsonics is a much better choice than the mp3Trigger for custom pin sounds. Same price, more functionality. I am unfamiliar with the offerings of adafruit or raspPi, so I cannot comment on what they offer, though other programmer friends say they are good.
    But as far as the wavTrigger: if all you want to do is add bg music it is quite simple enough to use one of the physical contact inputs on the WT and wire it to the out hole switch. The programming on the WT has many options including a "STOP All Tracks" function.
    I'm currently working on a setup using the WT and an Arduino, with the Arduino using the serial port to communicate with the WT and acting as an "interpreter" between the WT and the original commands the soundboard would have received from the MPU. ..a little more involved on the programming side than the very simple WT utility is. When I get all the kinks worked out, I will be more than happy to share my Arduino sketch. But as I mentioned, the WT utility program is very user-friendly and easy to understand if you are wanting to find a way to use just the WT alone.
    checked out http://www.robertsonics.com I assume?

thank you for the info... are you sure we can use the existing switches in the pin? I was a little worried that using them would possibly cause issues in the switch matrix, but curious to know your experience?

yes, I plan to only add in music and leave the existing sounds in the game.

I'll have a starting song, and maybe 2 places where a random song will start based on the gameplay (possibly when drop targets get reset, or a special difficult shot is made)

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

if all you want to do is add bg music it is quite simple enough to use one of the physical contact inputs on the WT and wire it to the out hole switch

Every switch matrix I've seen (including early Stern) has some sort of low voltage flowing through the existing switches which will trigger that channel repeatedly. So unless you intend on rewiring everything and PROC-ing it, it's not as simple as just wiring this in.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Every switch matrix I've seen (including early Stern) has some sort of low voltage flowing through the existing switches which will trigger that channel repeatedly.

From the robertsonics website: "Trigger inputs support passive (contact closure) or active (3.3V / 5.0V logic) as well as inverted modes on an individual basis."

#147 7 years ago

Though, in all fairness and honesty, I must offer up that I have not actually tried this method of direct connection to an existing switch. I do have the WT and am currently working on it but I will take some time aside to experiment and see if this method does or does not work. I'll report back with my findings, probably Wed evening.

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

From the robertsonics website: "Trigger inputs support passive (contact closure) or active (3.3V / 5.0V logic) as well as inverted modes on an individual basis."

so, I'm guessing someone needs to try this out?

#149 7 years ago

the custom ghostbusters used the MP3 trigger and added extra switches and I think the Goonies Pinball used the Wav Trigger and connected straight to the switches.

I bought a few Wav triggers but still a bit off trying them out.

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Every switch matrix I've seen (including early Stern) has some sort of low voltage flowing through the existing switches which will trigger that channel repeatedly. So unless you intend on rewiring everything and PROC-ing it, it's not as simple as just wiring this in.

After some quick experimenting with all of the various "trigger type" options with the WT, I can say in full confidence.. I am incorrect, toyotaboy has it right: You cannot use a switch that is wired into the switch matrix, it does give false triggers. It is not as simple as just wiring it in.
    BUT!! it CAN be as simple as replacing the existing single switch with a dual switch. Not a dual contact switch, but a dual switch with two sets of blades that can be triggered by one actuator. One set gets the wires that the original switch had, the other set goes to the WT.

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
    detail-1 (resized).jpgdetail-1 (resized).jpg

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-sounds/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.