Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MC-Flyer-791x1024.jpg
100_0241.JPG
There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 10 years ago

The IFPA is excited to announce an amazing opportunity that we've landed for the world of competitive pinball — players and pinball enthusiasts alike. We have signed a deal with the production company Go4Johnny Entertainment, who has worked on shows such as Survivor (CBS), The Apprentice (NBC), I Survived A Japanese Game Show (ABC), Crowned (CW), Big Medicine (TLC), and Deadliest Catch (Discovery). Together our goal is to get a pinball reality show on TV. For this to happen, WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Go4Johnny Entertainment is currently in the casting portion of the process, and similar to putting together a tape for Survivor, they are looking for submissions from players and enthusiasts to cast for "The Pinball Project". With our involvement, we're planning on creating the most lucrative and exposed pinball tournaments in the history of the sport. This could be a real game changer that could benefit the entire pinball industry and community, but again, WE NEED YOUR HELP!

We need to show Go4Johnny that our community of players and enthusiasts is diverse, large, and interesting enough to try and move forward with the concept. The worst possible outcome is them not receiving any online submissions, and this show is dead on arrival. If you've ever been interested in sharing your pinball passion to the world, or are interested in possibly competing for hundreds of thousands of dollars, take this opportunity to submit an online casting video. We don't know how long this casting process will last, so please don't hesitate if you're interested.

Visit "http://www.go4johnny.com/" to go to the Go4Johnny Entertainment homepage, and you'll see "SUBMIT CASTING VIDEO" on the top menu bar on the right hand side. Click on that, and follow the instructions.

Below is the detailed release from Go4Johnny Entertainment:

"Calling all pinheads, flippers and pinball enthusiasts of all ages and genders! Do you eat, drink, and sleep pinball? Do you collect as a hobby, or play competitively? Are you ready to show off your collection? Do you put pinball before everything else, including, sometimes, significant others? Do you keep your pinball playing hidden from your coworkers? If you are ready to share your flipper lifestyle, send us a tape following the guidelines below.

PLEASE NOTE: By sending a tape, you agree and consent to its use for production purposes by Go4Johnny Entertainment, Inc. If you are under the age of 18, you must have the consent of a parent or guardian to submit a tape. Due to the number of submissions we receive, we can only respond to those who may be potentially cast. Thank you in advance for submitting!

Submission Guidelines:

Please submit a tape 3-5 minutes in length. No need to edit or add music, we are just looking for your amazing personality to come through on raw footage.

IMPORTANT: At the beginning of the tape, please hold up a piece of paper that can be easily read through the camera with the following information: your name, your age, your city, and your phone number. We recommend printing out a piece of paper with this information typed in large font. Please also start off your tape by saying these items aloud. If we don't know how to contact you, we can't cast you!

Show us your life! Show us your machines! What does pinball mean to you? How is it a part of your life? How has it affected your life? How does your family, loved ones, friends and coworkers deal with your flipper lifestyle? Why do you think you should be on this show?

All major media formats are accepted, including *.mov, *.wma, *.m4v. PLEASE NOTE: Once you click upload and submit, your file gets automatically submitted and there is no way to cancel the process. If you believe a file was submitted in error, please send us an email at [email protected]."

#2 10 years ago

Hmmm...The Pinball Housewives of New Jersey....

#3 10 years ago

This is awesome! I hope everyone submits a quick video regardless of quality, collection size e.t.c. If they see a large response we could get some more pinball on national television that would be sweet!!! I'll definitely submit one

#4 10 years ago

I will get a submission together.

#5 10 years ago

*Sunday bump*
I need to get my basement cleaned up and some of my games back together. We all really need to submit something, no matter how small. I think volume is more important that content to get this project off the ground.

#6 10 years ago

I can only see bad things coming from this...

Mass media pinball and mocking off all our favorite people in OUR community does not sound great to me. Funny that i was just at papa and when i was watching some A players i noticed other A players mocking them and their playing styles. While I admit many of us have amusing donkey kicks and hand gestures when playing, it was not cool to see people making fun of others maliciously behind their back like we are back in high school.

Now they want to highlight our eclectic personalities (likely in a negative light) to the national audience...

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can only see bad things coming from this...
Mass media pinball and mocking off all our favorite people in OUR community does not sound great to me. Funny that i was just at papa and when i was watching some A players i noticed other A players mocking them and their playing styles. While I admit many of us have amusing donkey kicks and hand gestures when playing, it was not cool to see people making fun of others maliciously behind their back like we are back in high school.
Now they want to highlight our eclectic personalities (likely in a negative light) to the national audience...
All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

i agree, sounds like the one part of ''tilt, the battle to save pinball''.

#8 10 years ago

I hope Steve Young submits a video.

Also, what is a "tape"?

#9 10 years ago

Would love to see a design based show, ala "American Chopper". Would take a while to produce (maybe have a few diffent design teams with different projects at different stages going to keep flow). A design team can be given a theme and a deadline, would be great to see the process of building a pin from start to finish. I would watch!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Also, what is a "tape"?

And send some polaroids...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

actually I was picturing a pinball version of the space invaders dvd:
http://vimeo.com/50465335

I think most of us collectors are interesting people with varied collections and gamerooms (not weird people with bellies hanging out of our shirts writing down serial numbers of where pinball machines have been). Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is one of the rare occasions where I disagree with whysnow. I think any national exposure is good for pinball. Can only attract more new blood into the industry.

#13 10 years ago

A TV show about Pinball can only have positive long-term effects.

#14 10 years ago

Paging B_R...

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

This is awesome! I hope everyone submits a quick video regardless of quality, collection size e.t.c. If they see a large response we could get some more pinball on national television that would be sweet!!! I'll definitely submit one

I might submit one as well; my wife is telling me I should. I think they are going to go for the people with the larger collections though, this is likely a case where size does matter.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This is one of the rare occasions where I disagree with whysnow. I think any national exposure is good for pinball. Can only attract more new blood into the industry.

I may need to find a second job just to afford the D list games after it gets even more exposure.

#17 10 years ago

Might have to set up a video....

#18 10 years ago

A friend of mine was recently indirectly involved with the reality show based out of Silicon Valley.. There was a lot of concern about how that show was going to reflect on the community as a whole...

I wonder if the focus of this show will be to provide a real look at the pinball world or will it go out of its way to make the people involved look like 'nerds' and 'dropouts'...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

or will it go out of its way to make people look like 'nerds' and 'dropouts'...

If it does that, I going to get every single person to not watch it.

#20 10 years ago

How sad/bad is it that I actually want to be on this show....and I hate reality tv

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

How sad/bad is it that I actually want to be on this show....and I hate reality tv

Both sad and bad, to a very high level of each...

#22 10 years ago

How the heck are you going to have a reality show without drama?

Oh wait, Pinside has already written 4 or 5 seasons worth within the last 3 months.

Previously...on the Pinball Project...
"Mark said he'd sell me that topper 3 weeks ago. He goes and f^(king sells it to Tommy yesterday!"

Yes, I would totally watch this show.

Post edited by absocountry2 : profanity edited

#23 10 years ago

Very cool!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

My thoughts also. Recorded some stuff yesterday at our league. Just need to submit it.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

This is one of the rare occasions where I disagree with whysnow.

I see his point, but I also have to disagree with whysnow for once. He may very well be right, but I hope not. And in all honesty I could care less if they make fun of us. I have quite a thick skin. I even told them to send a crew up to Mad Rollin Pinball 2013 in my submission video. Sorry whysnow.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

There is no doubt that this will be all about exploitation - normal does not sell media on cable TV. Although it probably won't hurt our hobby - but will increase pinball prices.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from DEWSHO:

send a crew up to Mad Rollin Pinball 2013 in my submission video

Make sure they are around for setup... Comedy Gold from MRP 2012:

WhySnow: Don't let that pf glass touch the ground, I have heard that they shatter if there is a temp difference.

Paulyb18: Never heard of that, I call shenanigans <places glass on cement leaning against wall>.

1 minute later...
Crash

WhySnow: Pauly. wth, what happened...

Paulyb18: Don't ask.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I feel the same way and im submitting a video.

#28 10 years ago

Oh don't worry video will be coming here as well, now the question is be sincere, or go over the top like other reality tv casting videos and do something like bite into a live fish while setting a high score or something!

#29 10 years ago

Yay, the worst of us will be picked to make ALL of us look like socially stunted, obsessive morons! What's not to like? When was the last time you saw any of those "reality" show paint anybody in a positive light?

I hope it's good, I really do, but history says otherwise.

#30 10 years ago

Pawn stars and American pickets are reasonable in the portrayal of their characters, but agree few others are.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

do something like bite into a live fish while setting a high score or something!

I used to be a stuntman for a radio morning show . I probably should have done something like this. Oh well, maybe on the callback

#32 10 years ago

Oh man B_R they are making a TV show get that tape sent in you will be the next reality TV star.

If HEP shows them a tape no one will ever buy one of our pins again unless he touches it

Chris please do not send a tape. Our machines will pale by comparison.

Seriously I would DVR this and watch every episode made. Just for general content alone.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from PaulyB18:

WhySnow: Don't let that pf glass touch the ground, I have heard that they shatter if there is a temp difference.
Paulyb18: Never heard of that, I call shenanigans <places glass on cement leaning against wall>.
1 minute later...
Crash

HAHA That's funny as hell! That whysnow guy knows a thing or two.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

I wonder if the focus of this show will be to provide a real look at the pinball world or will it go out of its way to make the people involved look like 'nerds' and 'dropouts'...

It's yet another "reality" show, so OF COURSE it will be focused on the latter.

The never-ending wave of horseshit shows we have in this genre are all focused on the same thing: to exploit and humiliate, and to reward people for being assholes to each other.

Don't think this will be any different. The producers took a look at Tilt and Special When Lit, focused on the quirky and eccentric characters in those films, and saw something they could exploit in a show. After all, everybody likes to poke fun and belittle these days, right?

So have at it, attention whores...go for the gusto and try to get on the cast. Just don't come back crying when you're edited (or directed) to look like virgin losers who have no life outside of being a lame pinball-playing doofus.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PaulyB18:

1 minute later...
Crash

Since then - I have not put a pf glass on anything but a carpet.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Just don't come back crying when you're edited (or directed) to look like virgin losers

Wife and 3 kids..Check...No problem there.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

who have no life outside of being a lame pinball-playing doofus.

Oh...I see what you mean. That is definitely me!

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

So have at it, attention whores

OK! Will do! Why the F@#& not. Who cares what people think of me anyway. Better start being a jerk to people. Starting with that whysnow asshole who didn't invite me to PAPA 16. F@#& that guy! And F@#& his stupid tournament!!

http://www.madrollinpinball.com/

#37 10 years ago

Bring on Sam Harvey, Koi Morris, Mike Pacak, Rick Stetta, et. al. Sounds like Special When Lit all over again.

#38 10 years ago

Should call it Pin Dynasty and get Uncle Sy to do pin reviews.........

#39 10 years ago

To my knowledge the whole point of teaming up with th IFPA on this is to push the competitive aspect of the game. While shows like the World Series of Poker have characters (Phil Hellmuth for example), our plan is to run extremely serious tournaments for big $ that may happen to feautre entertaining characters with interesting back stories.

If the goal was simply to make fun of enthusiasts I'm not sure why they would want us involved. I know the production company was glued to the PAPA TV coverage of PAPA 16 all day today.

Is it going to be the Real Housewives of Pinball County, or the World Series of Pinball ... I'm not sure, but I'm willing to put in the work with these guys to find out.

Josh

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I know the production company was glued to the PAPA TV coverage of PAPA 16 all day today.

You are in that close of contact with them? I think it's great that you are helping to try and get this off the ground Josh. And I hope they get a big response.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

To my knowledge the whole point of teaming up with th IFPA on this is to push the competitive aspect of the game. While shows like the World Series of Poker have characters (Phil Hellmuth for example), our plan is to run extremely serious tournaments for big $ that may happen to feautre entertaining characters with interesting back stories.
If the goal was simply to make fun of enthusiasts I'm not sure why they would want us involved. I know the production company was glued to the PAPA TV coverage of PAPA 16 all day today.
Is it going to be the Real Housewives of Pinball County, or the World Series of Pinball ... I'm not sure, but I'm willing to put in the work with these guys to find out.
Josh

Good post Josh; excellent points made as well. I think this is a really good opportunity for pinball. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, any mainstream exposure is long term good for our little hobby. If the exposure is positive and popular then even better. Thank you for your involvement.

#42 10 years ago

I'm NOT a fan of Reality Shows. To many people waste to much time watching that drivel and I can only see bad things coming from this. I know producers and what they look for in a Reality Show is drama, drama sells, if not real drama create some by any means possible even if it makes the people look like fools. Attracting more people to the hobby you say, sure that would be nice "IF" we had Bally and Williams and Gottleb pumping out thousands of new games a year but we don't. So where do all these new people get there games, from the limited amount that has been produced from past years and that means the price for these old entry level games would sky rocket, not to many newcomers and seasoned Pinheads can afford an $8000 NIB Stern. It's simple supply and demand.

I hope your right Josh.

#43 10 years ago

video uploaded. wish me luck fellow pinheads.

#44 10 years ago

I may submit a video, but if I am mocked, Im going to shove something up someones wazoo.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I may submit a video, but if I am mocked, Im going to shove something up someones wazoo.

Oh, you mean you are going to take them camping. LOL. Actually, you, BR, Loyd and a few other guys from here would be pretty ideal for the show I think.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Attracting more people to the hobby you say, sure that would be nice "IF" we had Bally and Williams and Gottleb pumping out thousands of new games a year but we don't. So where do all these new people get there games, from the limited amount that has been produced from past years and that means the price for these old entry level games would sky rocket, not to many newcomers and seasoned Pinheads can afford an $8000 NIB Stern

Stern has been pumping out multiple runs of games even after selling 500 LE's, and however many premiums and pros. And who says you have to buy an LE? Pros are $4500 from a distributor.

Why would you ever be concerned about demand going up? If demand goes up, Stern makes more, or some of these other companies make more. And perhaps we could resurge back to the days where it's not JUST Stern as the only serious pinball manufacturer, accept now the gottliebs and Williams are JJP, or Zidware, or Spooky pinball LLC, or Heighway Pinball, or skit-b.

Stern can no longer keep raising prices if they have 5-7 other companies trying to cut their own piece of the pie (and they will undercut them).

#47 10 years ago

I share toyotaboy's view. People oftentimes complain about the lack of innovation and what not currently in the hobby or possibly complain about the business model some companies are using to fund the innovation they are making.

Money solves both complaints. If the hobby has another explosion of new owners/players (I think it has had one in the past few years . . . my guess is the number of people who buy at least one NIB machine per year for HUO has at least tripled) then you might see some really big money going into improving the technology and more companies will vie to be competitive ending the buy before you see/play model and reverting to a more normal/familiar business model.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

And perhaps we could resurge back to the days where it's not JUST Stern as the only serious pinball manufacturer

This is what I was hoping for. A LONG shot to say the least. But well worth dreaming about! My only concern is how drab my submission will be compared to centerflank and his wazoo trick.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from DEWSHO:

My only concern is how drab my submission will be compared to centerflank and his wazoo trick.

If his "trophy" is lending him a "hand" none of the rest of us have a shot at making the show . . .

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I share toyotaboy's view. People oftentimes complain about the lack of innovation and what not currently in the hobby or possibly complain about the business model some companies are using to fund the innovation they are making.
Money solves both complaints. If the hobby has another explosion of new owners/players (I think it has had one in the past few years . . . my guess is the number of people who buy at least one NIB machine per year for HUO has at least tripled) then you might see some really big money going into improving the technology and more companies will vie to be competitive ending the buy before you see/play model and reverting to a more normal/familiar business model.

Just think back about those threads pinsiders started about what age are you, there was a huge chunk of guys in the mid 20's to late 30's age category, that equals some pretty good long term spending in my eyes, whether its NIB or snagging up nice vintage pieces.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 315 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/currently-casting-the-pinball-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.