image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I've very slightly modified my CSI to make it play alot better, which it now does! The left, middle and right orbits in CSI are super fun to hit and lightning fast, and really zoom the ball to the flippers. To experience it, you need to disable both the left and right posts in the upper arc of the playfield. It's a blast....but you lose out on absolutely key things, like the pop bumpers (key for building points) and most important, all your upper flipper shots.

On factory settings, the ball is always going to the pops and upper flipper, which can get a little boring....disabling one post improves things, but gets you less than halfway there...

So I added some blue rubber squares and Velcro to some key places on the game....ball guides etc. Now missed skill shots will go to the pops, like they should...and controlled orbit shots will too. But normal orbit shots will fly around the game.

IM pretty sure I just added hundreds of $$$ to this games market value.

Here are the pics: totally invisible from the players perspective.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Some more pics of my awesome csi:

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 10 years ago

I've messed with turning off the posts before, it does change the flow quite a bit. So, it looks like you added two blue nubs? I might have to try that... Thanks!

#4 10 years ago

I just got my CSI so I don't know the rules inside-out yet...but is there ever a point or mode in the game where the software allows orbits by not popping up the posts? Seems like a missed opportunity for shot path variety if that's the case.

#5 10 years ago

While the game is "complete" there were lots of missed opportunities. It was being rushed out the door, every designer and programmer had some contribution at some point to get it done. No wizard mode kinda sucks, but youd never get there anyway as the MBs are just too damn hard. So its the orbits/posts issue and the skill shot that were totally bricked. I have just fixed the orbit/post problem.

The games music and dots are awesome. I like the callouts. At first they seem a little off, but they grow on you. It's very fast, with many challenging shots. The theme works well, but they could have tied it all together better.

Once you get it going, play it normally for a while to get the feel for what everyone else has played over the years...then do my mods - I tried many things and it took awhile to adjust everything just right - and be blown away.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

I've messed with turning off the posts before, it does change the flow quite a bit. So, it looks like you added two blue nubs? I might have to try that... Thanks!

Look closer. On the blue nub near the pops gate - serving to serve slower rolling balls into the pops where they belong - I've also added a square of Velcro (the soft material) that sticks partly into the orbit lane. It won't interrupt any balls coming from the left orbit but it helps stop the balls you want stopped coming from the right.

I've also placed a velcro square on the right blue nub to help slow down weaker orbit shots from the right. Finally, there are 2 squares of Velcro added to the inner/center orbit guide rail. I might even add more to this, so as to make that center shot more the main "shot to the pops". I might leave it though, as center loop shots can come flying back to the flippers now too, and that's pretty cool.

The overall speed of this game has seriously been juiced.

#7 10 years ago

Interesting. I love CSI but agree that the ball spends way the heck too much time in the pops. Can you clarify exactly when the ball gets to the pops now though? I get that a missed skill shot will because the ball is going slowly and the velcro slows it further. But, what do you mean by "controlled orbit shots" vs "normal orbit shots"? How are you getting the ball to sometimes go to the pops from the orbits, but sometimes not?

Thanks much. It's good to see CSI get some much deserved love!

#8 10 years ago

Video or it's a Shrek . Really though put some up to show off and highlight the changes. Also, if you could delineate the take aways from this change, anything lost, that would be helpful.

#9 10 years ago

Videos a good idea. Ill get something up. For now a "controlled" orbit shot just means a softer shot. If you really nail the orbits that ball is coming right back at you very fast, but a less intense shot has a decent chance at making the pops/upper flipper. The center orbit shot has really become you primary shot to the pops now. The Velcro on the guide rail and the blue nub -slightly bent into the lane - is able to slow down all but the hardest shots enough to get it into the pops.

It's really a good balance. Having a missed skill shot go to the pops is so much better than it flying down the left orbit (assuming you've turned the left post off, which isn't factory)And you simply cannot enjoy the game at all if the ball is never getting through the pops to the upper flipper (which is basically what you get when disabling both posts)..but with even one post up your sending too many balls to the flipper. That Morgue shot is actually pretty cool if you don't have to hit 20 times a game. I think alot of people disable the right post, to allow for extra flow but keep the left post up (because otherwise you will rarely get into the pops/upper flipper). The ideal situation is having both posts disabled - allowing for both right and left orbit flow - but still having opportunities to get to the pops/upper flipper. This is what I've accomplished for the most part.

Mind you, since reprogramming the posts is never happening, Im hoping someone here with true engineering and design skills can take my idea and make something better with truly predictable results every time. What I've done works great, but its not fool proof. In fact, I had a blue nub inside the inner orbit on the guide rail for a while. Worked OK, but then during a pinball party I had to remove the glass three times because of the ball getting wedged inside the orbit on the nub. After the third time, out came that nub....then the flipper died, so we didn't get to play it in its current state and see what we had. Now I've finally been able to put a few games on it in its current condition and the results are impressive. Very impressive.

#10 10 years ago

Interesting. If I ever find the free time (unlikely lately.. ) I'll have to play with it a bit. I can see how just disabling one of the posts would be a big improvement. I wouldn't mind if the left orbit would come all the way around, but the center and right would go to the pops. It's not like I can ever hit the right one anyway. The geometry makes it almost impossible...at least for me.

I do wish they would have had some good control logic in the software, but oh well.

Cool idea!

#11 10 years ago

I tried disabling one or both posts when I first got CSI. The main problem was this made it possible to plunge jackpots during multiballs, which pretty much ruined the game. It sounds like you've addressed that with the nubs?

I have a bunch of "flow" pins, and I've come to enjoy CSI for what it is - a precision shooter's game. Every time the ball goes into the pops, it's an opportunity to shoot the A/V lab or the 2 bullets next to it. Since Ballistics Mode is a ton of fun, I'd hate to make that harder to get. The microscope orbit keeps me on my toes, so I don't miss the outer orbit at all.

Lastly, TFA, you are one of the more articulate/educated people on Pinside, so you should know that "alot" is not a word!

#12 10 years ago

BTW I highly recommend adding a shaker. It only goes off for jackpots, but in a way that's good - you have to earn it.

#13 10 years ago

Frankly I'm surprised at how much upper flipper action I've been able to retain. I had a 100m plus game yesterday and lit the special from the morgue/AV Lab, which as you know takes "alot" of shots.

The game just seems to have more variety now, play wise. Yesterday I had Suspect Shakedown combined with Ballistics, Microscope MB and Centrifuge MB and it was insane. Balls flying everywhere! Ill admit that im always considering trading or selling it - because now with AVLE and ACDC side by side I dont play it too often...but its truly a unique game and my daughters favorite. She absolutely loves the Centrifuge and who can blame her?

At its best, such as when you have all the aforementioned stacked and 2 balls jammed in the centrifuge, it really is quite a good game.

#14 10 years ago

I love the Eyeball Drain Thingy (technical term)

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It's not like I can ever hit the right one anyway. The geometry makes it almost impossible...at least for me.

Now theres more reason to perfect that right orbit shot. Because its fun when it flys back around to the left flipper. Try hitting the right orbit two or more times in a row, or do a combo with the ramp or inner loop....or nail the microscope and see if you have time to react before the ball is back on your flipper. If your game is waxed and your spinner really flys, the speed is for real. And you know that right orbit shot increases the value of the pop bumpers right? Get those babies up to 10k each and then your shots to the Morgue/AV lab can be worth over a hundred thousand!

#16 10 years ago

Incidentally, the centrifuge insert looks rad with a white led on the top and red on the bottom. Like the picture I uploaded.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Incidentally, the centrifuge insert looks rad with a white led on the top and red on the bottom. Like the picture I uploaded.

Yes, very nice. I'll try that!

#18 10 years ago

Some UV LEDs towards the back and on the backboard also have nifty effect. The green flashers glow.

#19 10 years ago

The new CSI owners thread needs some love...

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The new CSI owners thread needs some love...

haha... is this the owners thread?

While we're all here... my drop targets and the centrifuge post stopped working. They work in test mode though. Any ideas? I need to call Stern. I have a prototype game, so the manual isn't complete. The yellow pages don't seem to be online either... I checked the usual suspects (loose connections, broken wires) but can't nail anything down with my limited knowledge and no manual!

#21 10 years ago

Are switches involved? When my saucer stopped recognizing the ball it was the switch. Coil would fire in test, but a lug had come off the switch, so needed to be replaced.

Yah, no kidding with the lack of interest in this thread. I guess there really are only about 350 people that care about CSI...the owners! And not very many on Pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/csi-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.