(Topic ID: 18103)

Creature From the Black Lagoon vs.Tales from the Crypt?

By Acampero

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

toppers_002.jpg
tales.jpg
100_0033.JPG
100_0032.JPG
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,
Want some honest opinions on these 2 pins, as I'm torn between them.
I'm a huge fan of both properties and I think the art style on both pins is great. The Tales is completely in line with the E.C. Comics art style.
I've read numerous reviews on both and the general concensus is that TFTC is a better game with deeper rules and more longevity.
Also, I'm concerned about upkeep. The Creature sounds like maintainence can be a problem because of the hologram, but TFTC is Data East and I've heard of some issues with upkeep on that and broken parts.
So what's your opinion on best bang for buck with these 2 pins?

Arn

#2 11 years ago

Hands down TFTC, fantastic challenging game, miss it very much.

#3 11 years ago

TFTC bores me. and DE feel different than W/B (in a bad way).

Creature is much, much harder. I love the art and the music.

CFTBL is for better players, TFTC is better for non-pinheads.

#4 11 years ago

TFTC. Get it. CFTBL feels like pinball with training wheels on. I have played it; I practically had to FORCE myself to lose the ball.

TFTC is almost half the price of CFTBL with a lot more fun to it. Obtaining the wizard mode known as Cryptjam is a very tough task I've heard. Closest I've come is getting about 6 out of 12 modes lit up. CFTBL's playfield seems so cluttered in comparison to TFTC - with TFTC I can actually see the ball and where it's going. CFTBL has a ramp/habittrail that goes from here to China and so many ball scoops that I'm constantly going "Where's the ball again...?"

From my understanding, and I don't know this for sure, but CFTBL's hologram can be quite difficult to repair/replace if it goes bad on you. TFTC has a tombstone motor that can go bad but can also be replaced. With two habittrails - one of which does a complete upside-down loop shot, outstanding TFTC style artwork on it, easily the most unique ball-launcher out there, and more Cryptkeeper cheezy one-liners than you can shake a stick at, TFTC is by far a better buy for your money.

And here's a recent thread addressing TFTC's maintenance (or lack thereof): http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-need-to-worry-about-maintaining-a-data-east-tftc

If TFTC had the "B/W", it would EASILY be a A-lister, and IMHO, stands right next to some of the best games out there with the "oh no not THAT name" DE logo branded on it.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

CFTBL feels like pinball with training wheels on. I have played it; I practically had to FORCE myself to lose the ball

Wow, it kicks my butt!

#6 11 years ago

I get the feeling too that CFTBL looks cluttered up top. Hard to see what the ball is doing.

#7 11 years ago

I have had both, still have CFTBL I just could not take anymore of the crypt keeper constantly laughing got old quickly for me for this reason

#8 11 years ago

if you get the chance, play both and *then* make your decision.

I find it kind of humorous that the people who are praising TftC, are the ones who are also saying that CftBL isn't a good machine (regardless that they've only ]maybe] owned a TftC). it all comes down to personal perference, and based on their popularity, they are obviously both desired machines by many people

(even more funny that both machines are on Acampero's wishlist but he's already down playing the creech. question: if the CftBL seems so crowded and offputting, why do you want one?

personally, I think that every pin can be a bit daunting at first until you get a feel for it. I love my creech and its "habitrail" series of ramps hasn't detracted me from enjoying it to death. in fact, there's really only one spot on the entire playfield where you can lose track of the ball, and that's only when its a slow moving ball is heading up the "move your car" ramp underneath the center curly ramp

#9 11 years ago

Both are awesome themes. I've owned both, but only TFTC remains. Tales is a little clunky, but it has everything you could want, excellent wizard mode, great ramps (possibly the best in pinball) drop targets, skill shot and even a captive ball shot. Not to mention some of the best dots in pinball and artwork that is spot on for the theme(it's ugly, it's suppose to be). The only downside is the poor audio sampling rate.

Creech has great artwork(its stunning) and excellent dots, but the ball does get lost behind the ramps and it only has a 2 ball multiball. Plus the hologram WILL eventually go blue then black and are impossible\expensive to replace.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

If TFTC had the "B/W", it would EASILY be a A-lister, and IMHO, stands right next to some of the best games out there with the "oh no not THAT name" DE logo branded on it.

Well it doesn't have that "feel".. so it's not.

Quoted from NPO:

CFTBL feels like pinball with training wheels on. I have played it; I practically had to FORCE myself to lose the ball.

you are full of it

#11 11 years ago

I pick CFTBL because the hologram is so awesome and I remember playing it as a little kid.

#12 11 years ago

I own both and neither are going. TFTC: Open playfield very fast. CFTBL more ramps and still fast. Two VERY different machines. You def need to play both and find out the one you like. TFTC is cheaper to buy but might not get such a high return. CFTBL is more expensive but it is W/B and will sell for a higher price tag. Good Luck!

#13 11 years ago

TFTC much better game play imo.

#14 11 years ago

CFTBL was one of the first games I remember playing back in the day. When I play it today I agree the playfield is crowded and hard to see the ball during the game but still fun. It reminds me of the cannon blocking the ball on the right line with the new AC/DC game. I am the one who started some of the TFTC questions lately because I am also interested in buying this machine as my first one. I agree it comes down to preference as well. I like the quotes in CFTBL and still play it today for that reason, but the TFTC is a great fun fast paced game and great shots and great quotes as well. I am trying to find one now. I pick TFTC of course and agree the ramps are awesome.

#15 11 years ago

I vote for Creature. Easy game? Not at all, my balls don't last long on that one. So much more detail in that game, great music, quotes, animations, and seems like there are more things to do on this game than Tales from the Crypt.

#16 11 years ago

J_m,
I'm not down playing Creech, that's the point of this thread. I wanted some opinions. I've played CFTBL and I liked it. As a matter of fact, I proposed to my wife at a revival screening of Creature, it's my favorite monster movie of all time.
As far as a pin goes, I'm trying to maximize my space and bang for buck. Unfortunately there are no TFTC around here (im aware of) in Thousand Oaks/ Los Angeles for me to try out hence the point of the thread.
Thanks everyone for the input!

Arn

#17 11 years ago

I have both they are sitting next to each other. I like TFTC better my wife likes
the CFTBL better so they both are staying. I have 15 pins and have owned my
CFTBL for over 8 years.

#18 11 years ago

I have had both for over a year, I've probably put 50 games on CFTBL and 300 on TFTC. The shots remain challenging and the modes actually fun to get and complete. I got Cryptjam twice and the monster jackpot twice, so either it's very challenging or I'm rubbish at pinball. The cryptjam is one of the most rewarding events you can get in all of pinball. 300 games and it still doesn't get old and I look forward to a game every morning while my burritos heat up.

#19 11 years ago

I love Burritos...

#20 11 years ago

I love burritos too.....

But TFTC is my favorite of the two by alot. I like CFTBL's art alot better and possibly even the sound effects some of them. I like tales call outs and overall gameplay. More multiball. minigames and a Shaker. negatives to me on TFTC is art package if your not a huge fan of the series and the crypt keepers cackling.

#21 11 years ago

CFTBL by a mile. Anyone who says it's too easy doesn't have it set up properly. Tough game and featured in a lot of tournaments as it's an excellent multi-player game. Good theme integration (50's drive-in movie), good sounds, unique playfield.

TFTC, while a decent game, suffers from bad software (typical for DE games imo), horrible sound, and a clunky feel. Nonetheless, still one of the better DE games if you like the theme and art (I don't).

#22 11 years ago

Dr. Joe,
What is bad software? Excuse my newbie-ness.

#23 11 years ago

CFTBL good sound, cool play, great game

#24 11 years ago

I don't care for the rules on Data East games in general. Some of them are fun as a change of pace, and I'm no Bally/Williams snob by any means. Too much emphasis on multiball, especially if playing for score (competitive play).

Ironically, the primary method to a big score on CFTBL is during multiball as well, but it's done so much better, imo.

There are better games than Creech however if your collection is small.

#25 11 years ago

They are both very different games. I generally prefer b/w games to DE's, but I like TFTC more than Creech. I LOVE the theme for CFTBL, but I have passed on owning one several times. The gameplay and audio bore me. Lots of ppl love the game, though. You would have to play them both yourself to see which you prefer.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

you are full of it

Looks like I hit a nerve .

I was just basing my opinion of Creech from the one I've played multiple times. Visually, it is a beautiful game. It's got lots of modes, throwback/tips of the hat to the 50's, great music, and some rewarding shots. Maybe the one I played on was "set up wrong" or something, because seriously dude, I played that game for a WHILE - and I had to nearly just let the ball go through the flippers. I'm not saying I'm some grand master of pinball - hardly - but the Creech I played was seriously just a push-over.

Yes, I am - full of AWESOME !

#27 11 years ago

I've got both, and they're both staying. You can't go wrong either way as they're both great games to play and easy to sell if you want to get something different down the road. However, they're VERY different. For my money, I'd go with the Creech, but I'd try to spend some decent time playing both first.

#28 11 years ago

They are both great pinball machines. But CREATURE has a great multiball -music- and is very collectible.DATA EAST pinball are a pain in the ass to convert to LEDs.( just a side note ) But you may not care about that.So IMOP CFTBL is fantastic!!!

100_0032.JPG100_0032.JPG

#29 11 years ago

More

100_0033.JPG100_0033.JPG

#30 11 years ago

I wanted to love cftbl, I really did. Beautiful game, great theme, but I was just bored playing it. Tftc is a polarizing pin but it is easily the better game IMO.

#31 11 years ago

I love the passion here from this community. It sounds like both are worth it.
Sounds like the house will eventually be...

1. Gorgar
2. Creech
3. Tales from the Crypt
4. Bram Stokers Dracula

BK will have to stay at the karate studio.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I love the passion here from this community. It sounds like both are worth it.
Sounds like the house will eventually be...
1. Gorgar
2. Creech
3. Tales from the Crypt
4. Bram Stokers Dracula

Can't go wrong with that collection! CFTBL and BSD are HIGH on my want list.

#33 11 years ago

Creature for sure...IF you are not factoring in money.

#34 11 years ago

I would go with TFTC personally. CFTBL isn't that great especially for the money they usually go for. The artwork is nice but I don't like the layout, seems very cluttered and short. Don't really care for the music either. Its a challenging game though, any game with a short playfield is going to be fast, and certainly not pinball with training wheels.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

TFTC. Get it. CFTBL feels like pinball with training wheels on. I have played it; I practically had to FORCE myself to lose the ball.

This is one of the worst comments I have read in a long time. If this is true you really need to play an example that is set up properly.

Honestly, I have both and CFTBL is a way better game. They command a hefty price tag lately for a nice example but it would be easy to trade or sell if you grow tired of it. Rules can be straight forward but the thrill is in the challenge.

TFTC is a great game for the money but the theme and sound package is the best part. Layout is a bit clunky with the placement of the most start scoop and the tombstone. Play one and you'll see. Cool ramps though and a lot of modes. Still a good game; if you like the theme you'll love it.

Let your budget be your guide. Happy playing.

#36 11 years ago

for those that complained about the art on TFTC, get the altnerate tranlsite as it is fantastic, just perfect, John Hansen sells these. And leds were no problem in TFTC, looks great and even found this extra topper (it's on before I changed out translites)

tales.jpgtales.jpg toppers_002.jpgtoppers_002.jpg

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from astrodan88:

This is one of the worst comments I have read in a long time. If this is true you really need to play an example that is set up properly.

Looks like I hit two nerves in this thread .

I am just being honest with how I felt. I'm not trying to be a Pinside version of some ricer in a 4-banger trying to tell a Ferrari F40 owner that his car is less aerodynamic than mine or something. I am just flat-out saying that the Creech I play simply was not a challenge. I do not know why it was that way; it just was. My ball times were insanely long, and I honestly just let the ball go after a while. I didn't mean to make it personal or insult anyone; I was sharing my experience. I didn't ask the owner how it was setup or why it was "so easy"; I was just under the impression that is how the game is.

It could be comparable to playing a TAF where Thing doesn't work, the electric chair ball scoop switch doesn't work and the magnets are permanently on all the time - anyone who plays on an example like that would be like "This game is lame." Yet, someone who knows how the game should work would be shocked to hear someone even begin to say such a thing. It's not the first person's fault if they're too naive to know any better.

Same here, apparently, the Creech I played was WAY rigged to make ball times long. I didn't know ...

Holy flame suit .

#38 11 years ago

I would think considering that the majority of us said the game was boring, your comment about it being too easy would draw the least amount of fire.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I love the passion here from this community. It sounds like both are worth it.Sounds like the house will eventually be...
1. Gorgar2. Creech3. Tales from the Crypt4. Bram Stokers Dracula

I love that line up. BTW, TFTC is the pin that took me the longest to find in my collection. It was about a year till I found one and that was only because of a fellow Pinsider sold it to me. So, if you find one you might want to jump on it pretty quick. Goodluck.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

My CFTBL is a short ball time game like TS or DW and hearing how easy it is for you made me realize again how bad I am at pinball.

I heard Lyman Sheets also tears up CFTBL.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Looks like I hit a nerve .
I was just basing my opinion of Creech from the one I've played multiple times. Visually, it is a beautiful game. It's got lots of modes, throwback/tips of the hat to the 50's, great music, and some rewarding shots. Maybe the one I played on was "set up wrong" or something, because seriously dude, I played that game for a WHILE - and I had to nearly just let the ball go through the flippers. I'm not saying I'm some grand master of pinball - hardly - but the Creech I played was seriously just a push-over.
Yes, I am - full of AWESOME !

oh I bet you are. games that are chosen for PAPA championship bouts are usually pushovers.

Acampero:

I have never played TFTC, so I cannot comment on it. Regarding CFTBL, it is simple but the most difficult of pins. it will improve your skills more than any other, but you have to be able to embrace a game that most often ends with your forehead on the glass.

If someone has the skills that tame this game, it would become boring I guess due to its simplicity, but it would be an extremely elite player.

Dan

#42 11 years ago

I would just say, before feeling strongly about a game, maybe play a few different examples in a few different sessions.

Playing one example of one game once IMO is not sufficient to make judgement on gameplay (generally).

Quoted from NPO:

#43 11 years ago

It's not easy. If you're Creech is easy, you set it up wrong.

Also, Lyman tears everything up.

Quoted from DougPiranha:

My CFTBL is a short ball time game like TS or DW and hearing how easy it is for you made me realize again how bad I am at pinball.

I heard Lyman Sheets also tears up CFTBL.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I would just say, before feeling strongly about a game, maybe play a few different examples in a few different sessions.
Playing one example of one game once IMO is not sufficient to make judgement on gameplay (generally).

Gotcha - fair enough. This has been a good learning experience, and I'll keep that in mind.

On a "hmmmmmm..." note, I wonder how many people that are for Creech are in the same boat as me, having only played on one TFTC.

#45 11 years ago

I’ve never played TFTC but would like to at some point. CFTBL is really a love or hate it game. Seems there is rarely “Its ok, I’d pick one up if I can get one at a fair price”. It is definitely not a favorite to others that come over in my puny collection but it’s one I like to play. It kicks my ass and unless I play it regularly, it continues to kick my ass. It’s one of the pins that really takes (As mentioned by so many here) practice and needs to be set up properly. I’m a wuss and set up all my games on easy or medium and 5 balls. It still destroys me. But I love it and keep coming back to it. No one has beat my scores that come over becuase its so hard they say lol!

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

oh I bet you are. games that are chosen for PAPA championship bouts are usually pushovers.

Quoted from DougPiranha:

...hearing how easy it is for you made me realize again how bad I am at pinball.

-___O . Really guys?

I've learned my lesson from here and moving on from this one .

#47 11 years ago

I've owned both of these games, and sold both. Both are very difficult games to master; I really wanted Creature to be a keeper. Loved the art, theme, etc. However, the call outs and music really got to me in the end. I just wasn't a huge fan of the 50s music after 200 + plays.

To answer the OP's original question - which was "what game is the best bang for the buck", then I'd vote TFTC just because it's a lot of game but can be had for 'less bucks'. I also agree with other posts, that the hologram potentially going black is a huge concern over time. Once that happens, I'd have to say that the game loses a good deal of luster. Just look at what CFTBL machines sell for with a holo that's turned blue, or is black. They're easily $1000 less than one with a good holo goes for. Any way, just my $.02. Let us know what you decide!

#48 11 years ago

Let's just say TftC is not on my "had" list. If I wanted a visual masterpiece, CftBL would still be around.

Jeff

#49 11 years ago

Thanks guys,

Regarding pricing. I know that depending on where you are prices can differ. From your experiences what am I looking at for both of these pins in the Los Angeles area? I see that there is a TFTC on Ebay for $2800, but isn't that high for this game?
I'm not looking for something that I have to put work into, but something that is gamer ready (no need to be collector quality).

Thanks
Arn

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

I just wasn't a huge fan of the 50s music after 200 + plays.

That music gets stuck in my head for a week everytime I play Creech.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 64.00
$ 9.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 45.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 18.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-vstales-from-the-crypt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.