(306 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Demo Man headed to CO 004.JPG
dennings.jpg
880-5115-01.jpg
image-266.jpg
Capture.JPG
There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

I believe Stern re-ran Tron on a business model of making another 500 pins or less.

I was curious if there is enough demand for IM so that Stern could be able to see a quick profit to sell a similar run of IM?

It seems to be a simple layout, would need the Iron Monger figurine, but with how well MMR sold at $8k I would assume Stern could crank out IM for $4600 or whatever the pro price would be. And make a healthy sales number to people that are never going to buy Mustang or Avatar or Metallica, but would jump at the chance to buy an IM for a reasonable price.

Just seems too much of a slam dunk to be able to sell 500 units or some similar number of pins that already has the work done (more easy than remaking MM as an example which has new boards and new led boards etc..).

Why not? I know they have to pay for the license again, but they paid for it once for a thousand sales, can't they just pay for another run would be easy money assuming as I ask if there is a demand for another 500 units. I mean code is done, layout and art done it's just an easy remake just have to see if the demand would be there jus like MM we see people paying 50% above what it was new. Seems like the ideal pin to remake.

#2 9 years ago

Aw, why you gotta be like that?

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#3 9 years ago

They could do that with a large number of there game but with people always whining about code updates I don't think they have the time for small runs.

#4 9 years ago

I would buy if they did a rerun.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

They could do that with a large number of there game but with people always whining about code updates I don't think they have the time for small runs.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Re-run is like printing money. No new code to do, just put the game together like they did with Tron, maybe a new picture on the translight like Tron. No need to disturb the code guys or the people designing the new pins. I fact you could argue it would help the code guys catch up.

Someone can photoshop Gary's face on this pic

image-266.jpgimage-266.jpg

#7 9 years ago

They would sell all 500 easy at that price.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Re-run is like printing money. No new code to do, just put the game together like they did with Tron, maybe a new picture on the translight like Tron. No need to disturb the code guys or the people designing the new pins. I fact you could argue it would help the code guys catch up.

I think he meant the assembly line workers are demoralized by customers code complaints and have become lethargic.

#9 9 years ago

Stern wanted to do this, but can't get any more Iron Monger toys unless they buy thousands of them.

-c

#10 9 years ago

I would buy at current PRO pricing if a re-run was done.

#11 9 years ago

The lost the license ages ago and it is out of date relative to latest IM movies so possibly impossible to get.

#12 9 years ago

It must be a license thing, or maybe a Robert Downey Jr. thing? Must be a legit roadblock, because I can't imagine why they haven't made more. I think they sell 500 easy.

#13 9 years ago

I'd buy one for sure

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I would buy at current PRO pricing if a re-run was done.

+1

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

They need to pick a year maybe two to put out only two games there is a lot to pick from POTC IM FG SM BM TRON all would do well in a small run. With all the talk you see about whats next I don't think rehash is best. I would love to by a IM POTC or BM at pro prices.

#16 9 years ago

$4600? I'm in!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Stern wanted to do this, but can't get any more Iron Monger toys unless they buy thousands of them.
-c

And if I recall correctly, it in the neighborhood of 50k Mongers would have to be purchased.

For Stern, it's only worth doing if they have nothing to build. They are not making money if the factory isn't churning out games. If they producing 50 sold Mustangs, or 50 sold IMs, or 50 sold ACDCs in a day, it really doesn't matter.

#18 9 years ago

IM wasn't that popular when it came out.
It didn't do that great on route from what I could tell.
There are a few that really want one, but new/less than current market.
There are a few like me that like it and casually want it, but not at market.
Most don't want this game though...

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

IM wasn't that popular when it came out.
It didn't do that great on route from what I could tell.
There are a few that really want one, but new/less than current market.
There are a few like me that like it and casually want it, but not at market.
Most don't want this game though...

That would explain why it's gone up 50% in a years time

Edit: 50% is an overreach but people seem to be asking any getting about $1500 more now than they did a year ago.

#20 9 years ago

First off let me say how I loved the Movies and had so much anticipation of buying the
pin when it first came out. I am so glad I played it before I bought it. What a horrible game
ramp ramp bash the big toy in the middle. Ramp ramp rinse and repeat. It was one of the
first games that Stern went cheap on.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

That would explain why it's gone up 50% in a years time

Like MM, would Sten make the most expensive (pro) pin out there? More demand than supply.

PotC and SM are great games but the price is not as high as IM because there is many more made.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

There's no reason they couldn't do it and I think they'd sell 500 easily. The non-availability of the Monger toy isn't an issue. Stern has custom parts manufactured all the time, a new Monger would be another just like a custom toy on any pin. They could design a suitable replacement that fits in the current carrier system and be done with it.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from john041160:

First off let me say how I loved the Movies and had so much anticipation of buying the
pin when it first came out. I am so glad I played it before I bought it. What a horrible game
ramp ramp bash the big toy in the middle. Ramp ramp rinse and repeat. It was one of the
first games that Stern went cheap on.

War machine Kicker is awesome as well as Whiplash multi ball, I think you missed out on a bit...

edit----Id say they would sell another thousand units easy if sold at current pro pricing level. Worried about too many leftover mongers? Include an extra one with sale of NIB pin and charge just a little more for it to cover initial purchase of minimum order.

#24 9 years ago

IM is definitely a game I'd buy at current "Pro" prices.

And I'm sure we could quickly come up with a list of a few dozen other pinsiders who would want one as well.

That being said, what about the other 400?

It's easy for any of us to say, "Hey! Build 500 more of pin xyz! They'll sell out quickly!"

But we're not the ones on the hook if they did it and were left with a couple hundred that didn't sell.

Just my 2.5 cents.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Like MM, would Sten make the most expensive (pro) pin out there? More demand than supply.
PotC and SM are great games but the price is not as high as IM because there is many more made.

No idea. They reran tron for a fair price, didn't they???

#26 9 years ago

I'm sure there could be a way to determine this, I mean there were whispers of the Tron remake. I called a few dealers and they said the run was only 100 or so and they sold out so quick that Stern made a few other runs.

Surely if Stern made a Facebook poll and got a hundred or whatever positive responses they would be able to determine the market.

I know it's not MM, not the number one and most expensive pin around but if they had smaller ambitions like 400 units at $4600 that's almost $2million in sales for no development cost except a new Monger.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

No idea. They reran tron for a fair price, didn't they???

Yes Tron was sold for a price $4500 or $4600 ish.

I was saying they should rerun the pro (IM) that is selling for the most now, not that they should charge the most. I mean if the idea was to charge more than a normal pro, I don't think I'd be interested but if they ask for a $4600 or $4500 I'd buy one.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from john041160:

What a horrible gameramp ramp bash the big toy in the middle. Ramp ramp rinse and repeat. It was one of thefirst games that Stern went cheap on.

I think what I like most about IM is it's simplicity. Sometimes I just want to play a fast game for a "fix" and don't want to get as involved as I might with my LoTR, for example. No game is for everyone though, I suppose.

#29 9 years ago

They would sell. Especially with new LED boards for better light shows.

#30 9 years ago

Some people don't like it, that's perfectly fine, but the people that do like it really like it. So I assume it has 'it' just like Tron which I love.

#31 9 years ago

Poll added

#32 9 years ago

Non Refundable deposit (if the game is made) to get a game count would solve the issue of who really wants one.

#33 9 years ago

I recall people still had NIB Tron from the old run wanted $5300 ish. I was set to buy one, looking around and got a whisper to wait there was going to be a new run. I would have put the deposit down. Saved me about $800 that would not have gone to Stern but to the dealer middle man.

#34 9 years ago

Selfishly I would not want a re-run Love my Iron Man as it's a great contrast to the deep games in my collection. It's one of the few that you keep hitting start thinking "just one more time" over and over.

#35 9 years ago

Then a re run does not affect you as you have one.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from kumanaga:

Selfishly I would not want a re-run Love my Iron Man as it's a great contrast to the deep games in my collection. It's one of the few that you keep hitting start thinking "just one more time" over and over.

I don't understand. People say they love the IM and won't sell theirs. So why does it matter that the price would go down? If I was keeping my Tron forever (likely) I don't care if they make another 2000. Makes no difference to me, except if something happened to my Tron it would be better if there are more on the market.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Then a re run does not affect you as you have one.

That's not true, of course.

Would be like saying the MMr didn't affect people who had MM.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

They would sell. Especially with new LED boards for better light shows.

New lightshows would only come with new software - which won't happen. As much as people are hitting the pipe hoping for an Iron man re-run; you'd have to hit it a lot harder to believe in this possibility.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's not true, of course.
Would be like saying the MMr didn't affect people who had MM.

Only if they sell it does it affect them (financially wise). If it affects the enjoyment of ones game then there is something wrong.

#40 9 years ago

Tackling that pipe issue as I type...

#41 9 years ago

Sure, what's another 500 pins to saturate the market even more... I mean we can all find another 5 grand laying around somewhere. I have it right here... no that's the 7 grand for the MMr balance. Darn!

Of course we still need another 30 grand for the next several titles set to come out soon. Walking Dead? Have to have it! The Muppets? It's mine! JJP's third title? Where do I send the money?

Wait a minute now we have to sell another four or five current pins out of the lineup... Damn, no buyers... lower the price each week until they sell... eventually 6-8 months they are gone. Damn, I lost 3 grand a piece but at least they are gone!

BTW, when is the BBB, AFM, MB, CC, TOTAN remakes coming out? I need to put 40 grand aside for those. Honey, can we sell the minivan and do the kids really have to eat 3 times a day?

BTW, why not another 1000 LOTR's? Naw, let's do an IM LE.

Can we add a poll?

#42 9 years ago

I think the ones to determine the market would be the distributors. All Stern has to do is ask them how many would they purchase? That sets the number.

#43 9 years ago

There has to be some truth to Teekees fears. I for one can only afford my restored HSII, MMr and 1 new Stern.
That means I had to pass on boutique choices and if Stern snuck another title out I would pass until my New Years budget.
It meant pass on Hobbitt as well.
Next year I plan for one Stern and One remake. I don't have space or budget for more so something will give eventually.

#44 9 years ago

The game didn't come out all that long ago... why didn't folks just buy it when it was originally released? What took so long to grow admiration for the pin versus knowing it was great right out of the gate which would have resulted in more sales?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

The game didn't come out all that long ago... why didn't folks just buy it when it was originally released? What took so long to grow admiration for the pin versus knowing it was great right out of the gate which would have resulted in more sales?

I was not buying pins for a period of 5 years. I didn't even know IM existed or SM until the past 2 years.

#46 9 years ago

I got into the hobby after IM was already done or I would have bought one.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Next year I plan for one Stern and One remake. I don't have space or budget for more so something will give eventually.

First world problems.

I only have a tolerance for one $4k + title in house at a time. Something's gotta give. Woe is me. (Waiting for a snide comment about my sample mm not being worth $4k in 3...2...1).

#48 9 years ago

Make another run. Sounds great to me. I'd prob buy one just to have it as a NIB for when my old one was too beat up 20 years from now. I'd love to pick up a brand new play field too. Stern, are you listening?

And timing is everything, I wasnt in a place to buy one and owning arcade machines was a distant dream four years ago that I've managed to make a reality sooner than I thought. Playing catch up now. What I would t give to have bought a new one to have all to myself. Still love this one though. It's beautiful.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

There has to be some truth to Teekees fears. I for one can only afford my restored HSII, MMr and 1 new Stern.
That means I had to pass on boutique choices and if Stern snuck another title out I would pass until my New Years budget.
It meant pass on Hobbitt as well.

Reading more and more people are cutting back going forward. I am done with all LE's going forward as I just can't justify having this much money tied up in one toy that is more likely than ever to depreciate fast.

#50 9 years ago

Seems plenty of people say they want one but why not by one when for sale used or huo? Is the $700 give or take from today's nib pro cost really that prohibitive?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-stern-sell-another-500-im-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.