Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by chriskd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1193.JPG
    100_1192.JPG
    100_1191.JPG
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 12 years ago

So, it might only be a few days to the first 100 AFM displays go on sale. Who is tempted to get one?

#2 12 years ago

I plan on it.

#4 12 years ago

I will be buying one for MM when ready.

#5 12 years ago

I have been in since the day I seen it...will be buying the one for MM once it is ready as well! Can't wait!!

#6 12 years ago

I am sure I have seen it before but can someone attach a link?

Thank you in advance

#8 12 years ago

Me

#9 12 years ago

Thank you pinballer22

#11 12 years ago

I will get them for every game they make them for that I own. Hands down the best mod.

#12 12 years ago

Yes, awaiting for MM.. I have that pb undergoing restoration in a month.. will be great mod!

#13 12 years ago

I plan to, but I'll be waiting a while. I just bought an AFM last week, and between that and the parts to restore it, I'm pretty tapped out at the moment.

#14 12 years ago

I'm planning on it. Are there any firm details on how to install it?

#15 12 years ago

Probably never, I don't play the DMD (or the LCD).

I don't think I'd ever buy a color DMD upgrade for an existing machine.

Also I think that the added cost of either of these items, in a new game, will take away funds for stuff on the playfield...drop targets, ramps, subways, vuk's; and also cause more cost cutting on the playfield, backglass and side art.

Robert

#16 12 years ago

man AFM, MM, any of the games would be sweet with that dmd.

#17 12 years ago

Can anyone tell me how much they are going to be ?

#18 12 years ago

When they get around to making one for LOTR I will be definitely IN!
    Hopefully by that time they can streamline the outer casing.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

Can anyone tell me how much they are going to be ?

I believe the number being kicked around was $399. I could be wrong though.

#20 12 years ago

Install will basically be plug and play

#21 12 years ago

Maybe..

#22 12 years ago

At $399 no a chance.

How often do you actually watch the DMD?

..oh yeh checking your score.

#23 12 years ago

If it's reprogrammable it might be fun to pick up one.. shift it around from game to game down the road. $399 per game though? That's like spending 4 Classic Sterns per game!

#24 12 years ago

I'm in, but I have to wait for some funds coming in. Patience is hard

#25 12 years ago

It seems I'm the only one that doesn't care for these. I love the idea but after seeing one in AFM at a show, I thought the colors were way too washed out for my taste.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
    http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, it might only be a few days to the first 100 AFM displays go on sale. Who is tempted to get one?

#26 12 years ago

I might try & re-invent the wheel. Who is with me?

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It seems I'm the only one that doesn't care for these.

Nope, I could care less as well. As I've said before, they could all be old numeric displays for all I care.

It's a cool mod, and I do have *some* mods here and there, but only ones that really interact with the play.

I don't look at the display until the ball is done, and only to see the score, so the extra $$$ doesn't do anything for me with these.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It seems I'm the only one that doesn't care for these. I love the idea but after seeing one in AFM at a show, I thought the colors were way too washed out for my taste.
    Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Just the opposite, I thought the colors looked great at the Louisville show. It's an LCD though, I'd hope you could adjust the colors and brightness to your liking.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Bryan_Kelly said:It seems I'm the only one that doesn't care for these. I love the idea but after seeing one in AFM at a show, I thought the colors were way too washed out for my taste.
    Bryan (CARGPB 14)

Just the opposite, I thought the colors looked great at the Louisville show. It's an LCD though, I'd hope you could adjust the colors and brightness to your liking.

So being that you saw it and it's an LCD, that means it won't be nearly as black or bright. Did it look washed out at all sitting next to other pins?

#30 12 years ago

Saw it at Expo and really liked it. I'll probably buy one. I'm sick of living in an one color pinball world. I still don't watch B & W TV. WTF!

#31 12 years ago

$399 is a lot of money, but I happen to think it's a really cool mod. I've seen people blow a lot more money on way sillier stuff for their pins.

#32 12 years ago

Definitely not worth it to me, and I'm one of those people who gladly pays for PDI glass on my pins.

I just don't look at the DMD nearly enough while playing to justify this.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Did it look washed out at all sitting next to other pins?

No, what it did was make orange dmds look obsolete. I agree with Tom.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

$399 is a lot of money, but I happen to think it's a really cool mod.

I think that people sitting on games worth 8, 9, 10k won't bat an eye at $399 to give the game a fresh new look. I wouldn't either if I had one of those two games. If they make one for a game I own I'm in.

#35 12 years ago

By the way, isn't this the equivalent of colorizing black and white movies?

#36 12 years ago

If anyone of you buy this new color DMD and need to sell the existing one, I have a Shadow that could use a decent used one. PM me please.

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

By the way, isn't this the equivalent of colorizing black and white movies?

Sure. I want those in color too.

You still watch VHS tapes or Beta?

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So being that you saw it and it's an LCD, that means it won't be nearly as black or bright. Did it look washed out at all sitting next to other pins?

After seeing them in person on AFM and MM the only negative is the blacks are not as black as a regular DMD. And when viewing from angles it seemed a little washed out. However this is probably expected since it's a LCD screen. But the color makes it worth while and I think it's one of those mods once you see in person you can really appreciate it.

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

When they get around to making one for LOTR I will be definitely IN!
    Hopefully by that time they can streamline the outer casing.

Not sure if they will make them for Sterns. At their presentation at the Expo and they mentioned the programming was different for Stern versus WMS/Bally. I don't know all the technical details behind it but it seemed their focus was WMS/Bally for now. I have a few Stern machines and hope someday they will make it for them as well.

#40 12 years ago

Don't have an AFM but will buy one for my MM when it is released.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Don't have an AFM but will buy one for my MM when it is released.

+1 and one for Addams when that comes out. I like watching the DMD as the ball goes SDTM.

#42 12 years ago

As soon as they have an MB one, I will be first on board.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

$399 is a lot of money, but I happen to think it's a really cool mod. I've seen people blow a lot more money on way sillier stuff for their pins.

You don't know me

I am waiting for MM too. I'm in.

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I thought it looked great in both AFM and MM.AFM won favorite pin of the show in Louisville,and the color DMD had a lot to do with it would be my guess.

#45 12 years ago

Most definitely

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

RobT said:By the way, isn't this the equivalent of colorizing black and white movies?

Huh?

Non-sequitur.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

As soon as they have an MB one, I will be first on board.

I'm with you on that one RD.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

TomGWI said:RobT said:By the way, isn't this the equivalent of colorizing black and white movies?
    Huh?
    Non-sequitur.

Color is Better!
    VHS/Beta Tapes are just my way of saying........time for change.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

RDReynolds said:As soon as they have an MB one, I will be first on board.
    I'm with you on that one RD.

I'll third that as well.

#50 12 years ago

I was very impressed with the color MM at the Texas Pinball Festival. It was fun to watch during multiplayer when it wasn't my turn.

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-who-is-ordering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.