(Topic ID: 6570)

Chrome plating questions. What to chrome and who to use?

By action76

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by boogies
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball_Pic_from_Memphis_Trip_Aug_27,_.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I think I am about to have some STTNG ramps re-plated. First question is, do people normally chrome the three scoops that feed the ball to the guns and ramp from underneath? If any of you have done it, do you have any pictures? Secondly, who is the best and reasonably priced people to go with? I have heard good things about Mike Chesnutt but I have also heard some good things about zplating.com. Keep in mind that the ramps are in pretty rough shape. The machine was left in an outside storage shed and the hot and cold extremes caused it to get a lot of surface rust. I am about to start restoring it, and it is going to need quite a bit of TLC. I am anxious to get going on it though.

Anybody have experience with these or have other suggestions?

#2 12 years ago

Contact Mike Chestnut ...

[email protected]

#4 12 years ago

I would contact both people and explain the condition of the parts. To get a good chromed surface it will need to be prepped and with the damage you have indicated it may be pricey. I had a Shadow with wireforms and a gun done by Mike and they looked great.

#5 12 years ago

<blockquote cite=" I had a Shadow with wireforms and a gun done by Mike and they looked great.

I was thinking about doing the gun, lockdown bar and ramp diverters for my shadow. What was the cost/time to get job done if you don't mind me asking?

#6 12 years ago

I would contact both people and explain the condition of the parts.

Yeah, that is probably what I'll do. I would like to know how many coats of nickel and chrome they put on and what the process of getting the rust off is and such. Here is a pic of what I am dealing with. I hope I can bring it back to a nice condition.

Pinball_Pic_from_Memphis_Trip_Aug_27,_.jpgPinball_Pic_from_Memphis_Trip_Aug_27,_.jpg

#7 12 years ago

ouch, i hope you can get those fixed up. A shame what some people will let happens to a nice pinball machine.

#8 12 years ago

No kidding, that is unfortunate

#9 12 years ago

@Ben, honestly not sure as the game came with them on it but I think it was in the 2-250 range but I could be way off.

Thise wire forms look really rough. Hope they can be saved.

#10 12 years ago

I'd at least try some nevrdull on those ramps.

#11 12 years ago

SOS pad will take the rust off of them, and clean them up

#12 12 years ago

I am trying to see what I can do myself to clean them up. I have had pretty good results with some steel wool and a brass brush to get the rust off and then cleaning with nevr dull. I have done three so far and two have come out looking really good, but one has some pitting where the rust was pretty heavy and I don't think I will be able to make it look like I want, because some of the chrome is just gone in those places. I am going to do my best on all of them and see what they look like.

#13 12 years ago

After seeing this T2:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finishing-touches-on-chrome-t2-edition

I've been thinking about taking my T2 lockbar, rails, legs, gun handle down to the custom motorcycle shop down the street to see if they'd be willing to do it for me.

#14 12 years ago

I would use sandpaper on the wire forms. Start with an 80 grit to get the rust and corrossion off, then 120 grit, continuing as with the higher grit will leave you with smooth and nice looking rails. It doesn't look like that is the end of your troubles.... I would guess that machine has been weathered, I wouldn't be surprised if your plastic ramps have become warped (if so, your ball might not even roll through). Damage to the cabinet and playfield, ughhh...
    Good Luck

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chrome-plating-questions-what-to-chrome-and-who-to-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.