DSCF1282.JPG
DSCF1281.JPG
DSCF1280.JPG
DSCF1279.JPG
Seinfeld_not_anything_wrong_small.jpg
shooter_mcgavin.jpeg
inbeforethelockkitten.jpg
9.jpg
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Ray came over my house and looked at my Blackout. Had to replace the Board as the CMOS 5101 IC was no good. Board tracers were damaged and the IC was never soldered in...It was just placed on the board. Photos of the Front/Back are here. Cost 350 for a new board plus Labor. The Backglass was damaged in transit because Choggie didn't make sure the lock was secure. The Lightbulbs scratched against the backglass leaving lots of Bare spots. Thanks HUGSC!!

DSCF1276.JPGDSCF1276.JPG
DSCF1278 (2).JPGDSCF1278 (2).JPG

Post edited by CaptainFantastic : Partial Refund Given

#2 10 years ago

Hugsc for Ray for making the game playable.

#3 10 years ago

Says it all9.jpg9.jpg

#4 10 years ago

I dunno man. That board looks like it might have been repairable for a lot less than $350, might have been worth a shot sending it to Boryguard or CoC. FYI, not defending anyone sounds like you got screwed.

#5 10 years ago

Ray said nobody would repair that board and it would take hours to recreate the tracers and then still not know if it would work properly. Ray's rep here is impeccable which is why I contacted him first. Thanks for the input.

#6 10 years ago

That board is repairable, but I don't blame any technician for not wanting to repair that on a service call.

From a glance, it needs sockets. A remote battery holder. 5101 socket repair - eyelets and some trace repair, etc.

Personally, I'd have repaired another OEM board, could probably buy one and have the sockets and interconnect done for $100-$150

A $2300 blackout shouldn't need a damn thing, though, and should be entirely plated in gold with $1500 of LEDs..

#7 10 years ago

Wow those pads look obliterated

#8 10 years ago

I hope you didn't actually pay $2300 for it.

#9 10 years ago

You could have bought a Rottendog CPU/Driver for alot less. That would have been the way to go.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#10 10 years ago

Sorry to hear you got screwed by Choggard. Thanks for outing that shitbag, and I hope this doesn't taint your view of the hobby.

#11 10 years ago

IBTL Babay!

inbeforethelockkitten.jpginbeforethelockkitten.jpg shooter_mcgavin.jpegshooter_mcgavin.jpeg
#12 10 years ago

I think he should man up and give you a partial refund, 2300.00 for a blackout, even a fully functioning one to a pinsider is a bit obscene.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

You could have bought a Rottendog CPU/Driver for alot less. That would have been the way to go.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

I did get a Rottendog Combo board instead of the $150 refurbished job. I wasn't about to go "cheap" after laying out 2300 to begin with.

#14 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about the backglass getting all those wear spots on it, on top of the board issues. That completely sucks.

#15 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about that mess.

Hope the game is problem-free from here on out.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I think he should man up and give you a partial refund, 2300.00 for a blackout, even a fully functioning one to a pinsider is a bit obscene.

He already blamed the shipping company for the Backglass. Just one of those types that wont accept responsibility for anything. He has certainly not offered to refund me a dime. If he did I would certainly tell everybody on Pinside that at least he was being a man about it. Eventually I will replace the Backglass If I can ever find a better one and I will have $3000+ into a Near Mint machine. For that kind of money he could have at least Autographed it for me in whichever name he chooses to use on that particular day (Choggard/Hugsc)

#17 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your first pin purchase gone this bad. Best of luck continuing your collection.

#18 10 years ago

Man, he should at least take you out for a nice steak dinner before he.... well, you get the point

#19 10 years ago

This whole transaction stinks.

For such a prime example of a pin that old, extra precautions should've been utilized to insure that thing gets to where it's going without issue.

As for the board, etc., if indeed it was listed as working 100%, shame on the seller. At that price the thing should be golden.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Man, he should at least take you out for a nice steak dinner before he.... well, you get the point

Oh, he already got the "point" no dinner needed.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from mrobertso2:

Oh, he already got the "point" no dinner needed.

At this point it would be more like a complimentary reach-around.

#22 10 years ago

Wow that is terrible. I hope he compensates you. What a shame for such a nice blackout.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainFantastic:

Autographed it for me in whichever name he chooses to use on that particular day (Choggard/Hugsc)

Any autographed backglass by Hugsc would double its value

#24 10 years ago

Not really been following the details about this guy but I feel bad for you.
Give it a few months and hopefully it'll all be a distant memory as you play 'just one more time' before bed

#25 10 years ago

I sense something. I think we have an incoming retort from our good friend. Wait for it.......

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I sense something. I think we have an incoming retort from our good friend. Wait for it.......

You think so? I was guessing he would avoid this thread like the plague. I doubt he's got any excuse people here will believe, and I bet he knows that.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

You think so? I was guessing he would avoid this thread like the plague. I doubt he's got any excuse people here will believe, and I bet he knows that.

I wouldn't be so shure, I'm shure he has some sort of excuse, it worked great when he played it.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

His retort will depend on who he is logged in as!

#29 10 years ago

I don't know, this doesn't seem like the type of thread that he would give a night bump....then a morning bump...then a title change.

#30 10 years ago

Something tells me this Choggard fellow is less than reliable, call it a hunch.......Sorry for your luck op, Ive had a couple learning experiences of my own. Though I cant complain about any pinheads yet.

#31 10 years ago

Can't say that i agree with your logic that going with a rebuilt original board is going 'cheap'. You've already spent 2.5-3x what a blackout is worth on the game. Maybe some chrome and LEDs can get you in the 4k range!

#32 10 years ago

Well in Hindsight I would much rather have spent the $$ on a Private Airplane and dropped the 250 LB Paperweight on the B*ST*RD's House...or something along those lines. A literal "Blackout" for Choggie...I can hear the ovation.

#33 10 years ago

$2300 for Blackout?!?!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

$2300 for Blackout?!?!

It's the guys first pin. I can understand the excitement of your first pin.

#35 10 years ago

$2300 for Blackout?!?!

Also the seller made it look and sound like a huo/nib pin iirc so.......

#36 10 years ago

Almost as exciting as your first kiss....LOL....well not quite that exciting. You should go pay this guy a visit for what he did to you (or have "uncle vito" make a house call....lol) . I always pick up my pins locally and the few times I sell a pin I only do it locally (that way someone can really check it out as I am not a "pinball expert" so I prefer they look it over rather then have me describe it).

Sorry about your bad experience. I have dealt with a bunch of pinsiders and truly every experience has been a positive one and have made a lot of new friends throughout the year while accumulating some great pins !!! Don't let this guy discourage you as you will have more positive experiences then negative ones if you deal with pinsiders.....however, it is still best to check it out yourself as condition is truly subjective and one persons "mint" will be another persons "above average"......

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from houseofpin:

Almost as exciting as your first kiss....LOL....well not quite that exciting.

As exciting as losing your virginity to someone with an STD.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Seinfeld_not_anything_wrong_small.jpgSeinfeld_not_anything_wrong_small.jpg

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You mean a PRO?

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

I always wear a condom when driving a tractor.

#41 10 years ago

$2300 for Blackout?!?!

The pin was suppose to be HUO. I would buy a trailer full of Late 70's/Early 80's Bally/Williams pins at 2300 each if they all looked like the day they were made. The playfield and Cab on this look brand spanking new..Its the repainted Head, Scratched Backglass and damaged board that ruined this puppy. If I received it in the condition that was Stated I have no probs with the price. Id rather have TWO 30+ Year old pieces of Art in HUO condition than a Brand New Stern Pro but that's just me.

My first pin I bought from Lloyds Jukeboxes in Maryland back around 1986/87. It was a Near Mint KISS machine for $400. He had MANY Kiss machines available...pick whichever one you wanted if you drove down. Played it for 12 years and it never had 1 problem.

#42 10 years ago

Uggghhhhhh..............
I feel terrible for the OP here. At least you have it working again.
I guess I was just lucky that I could inspect and pick up in person when dealing with the seller here.

#43 10 years ago

Seller should repay the cost of any board repairs or the cost of a new rottendog if repairs aren't feasible. Period.

#44 10 years ago

Is there a link to the original "for sale" ad for this one? I am curious to see how it was described.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Is there a link to the original "for sale" ad for this one? I am curious to see how it was described.

There probably is, but seller went and edited the titles and contents of the threads in an attempt to conceal the behavior...

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Seller should repay the cost of any board repairs or the cost of a new rottendog if repairs aren't feasible. Period.

I wouldn't agree with this as a generality, but in this particular situation (chips not soldered in properly, general Choggardry) I think he should.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-blackout-2500-huo-for-30-years-michigan

#48 10 years ago

In the sale pics the board has the original battery holder and a soldered in 5101, so I guess he tried to work on it before shipping? Weird.

#49 10 years ago

Those original pics do show paint missing on the backglass.

#50 10 years ago

Can we see pics of the current state of the backglass?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/choggards-defective-2300-blackoutrepaired-by-ray-brackins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.