G.jpg
1.JPG
IMG_4370.jpg
IMG_4362.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg
IMG_4354.jpg
IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Need Help! Restoring a 73 Chicago Coin Hee-Haw EM Pinball. Had it 90% working, and was testing the multi-player. Came back the next day, and turned the machine on. I hear the machine cycling trying to zero everything out. All score reels reset back to 0 like they should, but machine never resets. Machines continues to attempt reset although score reels are at 0. Can hear all the relays clicking like they should.

Any ideas to why it is not detecting that everything is zero'd out?

Any help would be appreciated....I'm stuck, and can't figure this out.

#2 12 years ago

Check the ball trough. Also move the player 1 reels to not 0. Make sure it resets.
Do you see the big reset bank in the bottom go off? Does the player unit and ball
unit goto the reset position?

I had an issue where the fingers on player 2 score reel didn't actually touch the board. Check that closely

Post some pixs. I have a 1974 ccm and can probably walk u thru

J

#3 12 years ago

yes post a few pics

#4 12 years ago

Way2wyrd...Great to know someone who knows something about ccm that is in state!...
I will post some pics tonight, but here is what I know (Answering a few of your questions):

- I had advanced all score reels so that none were on Zero. All reset back to Zero as they should.

- I will check the ball trough tonight... (obvious item now...why did i not look at that!)

- Player unit (PCU) appears to reset back to its orginal location.

- Ball unit....Are we talking about the ball counter or something else? Ball counter stays incremented....

What pictures might be helpfull?

#5 12 years ago

Any pictures help! I suspect that since you said that you were working with the multiplayer last before this issue that the issue lies there........

you might also want to look at the Advance unit and make sure it resets as well

at some point the ball count should reset to 1...... hmmm if you manually reset that unit does it goto the next step? Maybe it needs a cleaning

What relays continue to fire?
Does the Score motor ever stop spinning?
Does it make it to the big KA - CHUNK of the reset bank?

I think... the startup sequence is (at least on mine)

Credit Decrements
Score Reels reset
Player Unit resets
Ball Count resets
advance unit resets
reset bank goes kachunk
ball kicks out

look really really close at the fingers and make sure they are touching the board on the score reels.
Mine reset to 0 but since not all the fingers were not touching it never thought it finished.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:CCM_ScoreReel_back.jpg

Did you clean the boards to remove the oxidation / corrosion?

The feature reel looks really cool on that machine!

#6 12 years ago

Update...
So i have tried the following:
- ball trough - no luck
- I manually reset the credit counter back to 0 - no luck
- Ball count does not show on the back glass..... seems to be reset though

When powering on the score motor starts to move.... and the relays in the back box begin to fire. Relays for score reels. top 2 middle stacks relays in pic 0341. all score reels reset to zero. in the back box, I also see that the PCU (Player control unit..pic 340) reset. reel in pic 339 also resets (although I'm not sure what it is).

I think it get stuck on literally the first sequence of things...... At this point I'm guessing it is something in the back box, but I have no clue...... I have cleaned most of the score reels. I tested most this evening for continuity, and they looked good.

I have attached a few pics and a vid on photo bucket. You can access with the link below. I shot in a hurry with the iPhone tonight, so the quality is crap. will get some more pics out here shortly.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa390/brianzitterkopf/

Any ideas..or something i can narrow down?

#7 12 years ago

Have to say that one of the cleanest pins I ever seen did you find it that way or clean it yourself?

from the photos I've seen the 2 stepper units still need the face contacts cleaned if you look closely(pic #1) you can see carbon track following the fingers around a bit.
on( pic 5 ) you may see a slight 'bridge' on one of the soldered conections on a stepper unit
look for the 3rd to 4th contact upper horizontal row white/blk trace - red/white trace .
buzz out this connection to make sure they are isolated from each other.

Also buzz out the steppers in (pic #1) in sequence with power off, manually step up unit and connect one lead to rotor and other to each soldered connection .

Q- how do these units feel when manually stepping up/down with power off?

-hope this helps some

#8 12 years ago

I looked at the vid and cant see what those 2 relays read , the two in center of rear back box top are they player 1,2 reset on right and player 3,4 reset on left?

try this trick - manually set all scores to #3 (power off) so when you look at the back glass from the players point of view you will have all 3 across the window.
Now turn game on and press start and see what happens ?
1 -do all scores re set to 0 -zero , do a few stay at 9 or any other # ?
2- speed of reels do any look like they are struggling to move?
3- are players #3 and #4 re setting 1st in tandem then #1 and #2 ?

#9 12 years ago

Im with HDC on this one.

If you look at 28 seconds into the video you can see those top 2 relays firing even tho the 0s show in front.

Which relays are those?

If thats a player 2 score relay, that means that the circuit that tells the machine that its reset all score reels on player 2 is still open somewhere.

I would see what relay that is and then look at the corresponding mech.

Also like HDC stated. if you can see the black tracks then you should probably clean the board. I use some sand paper and 92% alcohol for this

Looking forward to teh answer on this one!!

#10 12 years ago

Game was really dirty with mutiple issues when i bought it. At some point in its life, someone had done previous simple repairs that were quite poor. I'm still in the process of undoing their work (ex: instead of un-soldering connections to a score reel- they cut them; and then used butt connectors to rejoin).
This is my first venture into a pinball retore...I have spent countless hours cleaning, and replacing parts. Ironically, I get something working; only then to run into a whole new problem...

Couple of quick answers to the inquiries above:

- The two relay banks (Top middle) are firing...they are player 1,3 and 2,4 reset.
- I had advanced all score reels. All now reset back to zero without issue during power on (More on this below, I have a few questions)
-Comment on pic 5...Will check the soldered connections again, and make sure there is not bridging.
- As for Carbon trace on the PCU (pic 5). I recent completely rebuilt this unit. Cleaning it and repairing a broken trace on the bakelite. This is the Player control unit, which allows multiplayer. Previous to my repair the pinball would not allow mulitplayers (up to 4 on this unit). I checked continuity between the contacts and soldered connections previously, and all were making good contact.

I have been repairing score reels as i have seen problems. At a minimum I have checked each to confirm they were spinning freely, and that they were making good contact (conti..test)

I've had to do some reworking on about 4 score reels. I relocated the 10 point player 1 score reel. IT was heavily worn with a broken track on the bakelite. Repaired the trace, and moved it to Player 4 where it is less likely to be used. 2 other score reels would stick. Completely disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed both. One reel now spins freely. The other has some drag (player 3-10 point)....i cut the spring to compensate, and it now increments; just not as freely as the others. This being said, it seems to work, and resets to zero without an issue.

This whole issue started once i got the PCU working, and went into multi-player. Turned the machine off and then on; and got this. It obviously not seeing something reset to zero. As i understand the zero out-startup goes through mutiple steps. When i power the unit back on- flippers, bumpers, and coin credit dont work. Score unit is running, along with the reset of all the score reels, PCU, and credit counter in the back box.

I will try to take some better pics and post some additonal vids next week...

P.S. One other oddity i noticed.. The orginal player 1 10 point score reel had a diode across the coil contacts. Theres not another diode in the whole damn game. Per my research, you would use a diode if you placed a DC coil in an AC EM game. As it was, this was an original A/C Coil. I removed the diode (it was busted), and assumed it was due to the last guy not know what he was doing. Was this a correct assumption? Any reason to have it there? It defienetly looked to be added later....

Appreciate everyones help......

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

This whole issue started once i got the PCU working, and went into multi-player. Turned the machine off and then on; and got this. It obviously not seeing something reset to zero.

Definitely go back to this then. Check for the bridging for sure.
Closer pics of the player unit will help get to the bottom of this ill bet

when i get home next week ill snap some photos of my player unit <insert bad joke here>
and will post them for comparison

#12 12 years ago

check for a 'game over' relay if you have one in a re set type bank- trip it manually to make sure it's mech. sound with power off .
Sometimes when you turn off an EM during a game a 'Game over' relay that is on the 'edge' to begin with will show its self , if you hear the re set bank continuing to try and re set then you have to investigate that unit all the way- the best way to work on the lower relay board is to remove it above the PF area.

I think I would de solder the diode for now and the reason is that when I buy coils for EMs they sometimes have SS uses so they have it on

-however didn't CCM start adding IC type boards in its EMs during the 1970s ?
if you see a small solid state board in your game be wary the diode is to protect the back flow or spike when the coil collapses .
if no IC board then take it out & put it aside EMs are more rugged then the SS that followed latter on and dont need any of that junk.
See if you can post more photos of the lower relay board look for a re set bank or a group of relays under single set control

#13 12 years ago

The saga continues.....

Turned the unit on tonight, and boom it worked. Turned off, and back on; and back to the same problem.

Moved a few score reels to check connections...powered back up; and its now mostly working! WTF!
I figure i got something with a transient connection. Since it is at least kind of working for player 1, I did not attempt multi-player, but will do so later.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa390/brianzitterkopf/

I've posted a new video..1911. IT shows it working, plus some close-ups in the back box. This brings me to a few questions:
- There is a 00-90 unit. I believe this is a match unit. But it never activates. Any idea why? Is there a jumper somewhere to enable/disable this feature? Way2wyrd does your CC 74 have this feature?
- I zoom in on two relay banks for reseting the score reels..you will notice that player 2-4 really bank has the paper retainer/guide broken... Just broke this evening (Was not the problem prior)... Super glue doesn't seem to fix.. Any ideas on how to fabricate a replacement?

2nd video shows a few days back of me pulling apart a score reel..video 5715..,see the white plastic hub in the middle? it turns like crap.. Pulled it out relubed..turns a little better but still not as free as I would like. it feels like it is just tight... can't find a good way to remove enough material to spin free..

Ok..So since it kinda works..whole new set of questions...
-00-90 unit....If anyone has a clue why it does nothing...let me know...
-One of my flippers drag against the play field. Tried adjusting, but it just to close against the play filed. It works, but this can't be right.. Am i missing a washer or something?

Thanks in advance.....

#14 12 years ago

Way2wyrd has the trigger time on a CCM then I so he or someone else with a CCM pin will have to weigh in heavy - I'd just hate to point you in the wrong direction but keep hunting these pins just take a lot of time and note book paper.
You will get there

#15 12 years ago

I'm slowly making progress. Having a CC machine seems to make the process more difficult.

Any info on the how 00-90 functions would be huge..

When i get brave again, i'm going to try to get this thing in multi-player again. Will see what the outcomes of that is....

My slightly slugish score reel is a bit of a problem. As stated i cleanded it completely (video x5715), the actual plastic axel (round white object in the middle) fits into a whole in the metal frame. Even after lube, is still doesnt spin as freely as the others. With the way it is designed, I cant find a good way to remove material that appears to be impacting its ability to spin freely. It does spin, and i have overcome some resistance by increasing spring tension. If anyone has dealt with this and has ideas, it would be appreciated.

We will see if the machine works tonight....

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

There is a 00-90 unit. I believe this is a match unit. But it never activates. Any idea why? Is there a jumper somewhere to enable/disable this feature? Way2wyrd does your CC 74 have this feature?

Sure does My Match unit advances for every ten point score

On the top left side of your backbox you can see the pins that choose high score setting and match settings. I think one of the settings is do disable match play. <again im flying blind this week more accurate info next week>

The game manual should have those listed out as to what the settings are. If you dont have a manual i would for sure get one.

Check the coil and make sure its good on the Match unit. That should be a continous stepper.

Quoted from BrianZ:

One of my flippers drag against the play field.

Mine was doing the same thing. I got new flipper bushings from PBR and that solved that issue

Quoted from BrianZ:

can't find a good way to remove enough material to spin free..

Does the hub move free when there is no spring/ actuator / finger unit attached?
If its when the actuator arm is atached try loosing the screws on that hold in the actuator half a turn. One of my score reels had a binding issue also and that was my solution.

In the video there is a spring missing i assume that was replaced later

On another reel i had to losen the screw from the back where the fingers were attached.

I have a few extra score reels sitting around if you find you need a piece. Or here are some on Ebay

ebay.com link: 2 pinball arcade SCORE REELS

ebay.com link: Chicago Coin Score Reel Backglass Coil 1962 All Star

#17 12 years ago

i know the area your speaking of in the back box-upper left. I saw the area for setting the high score. Nothing is marked in regards to 00-90 unit. I notice it does even attempt to move or reset, so i figure this might be the jumpers you mentioned in the top of the box. Will do some more digging. I bought the schematics and manual from PBR, but cant find the manual after we moved last year. Will do some more digging....

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Mine was doing the same thing. I got new flipper bushings from PBR and that solved that issue

-Yeah, that was with the new bushings from PBR ...Plus i had to replace the flippers. The orginals had broken in places... Should i put a washer under the flipper? Additonally, the flippers work themselves loose, and then fall down..... I'm assuming the PBR ones arent quite just right. Trying to find a way so they stay without working themselves loose.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Does the hub move free when there is no spring/ actuator / finger unit attached?

I completely removed the spring/actuator/finger unit...The only thing was the center plastic hub into the metal and bakelite. It appears that it must have just too much material.. It's bizarre.

As for do i need Score reel parts...Yes... The original 1st player 10 point score was fried. 1 of the traces was completely burned off in 1 part, and it even cooked the bakelite. The past owner attempted a repair with wire, but it broke. I went back with a piece of copper braid. Luckily, its not in the areas of the swipe arms. The repair works, but while TS'ing my recent problem i pulled off the score arm. I noticed there were pin prick holes in the copper trace in some areas that were in contact with the whipper arms. I sanded the pin-pricks down, but they might be causing problems. Plus i have the sluggish score reel mentioned below.

I just clicked the ebay link you provided, and bought the 2 reels that were up for sale. I'm hoping that I can salvage a few parts. If your willing to sale a score reel (or at least the bakelite board and hub), please let me know what you might want for it.... I would be happy to purchase.

My thanks to you and the moderator for assisting me with this. Its great to have a place to bounce problems around....

#18 12 years ago

Thats what we all are here for Brian Z
all of us at one time or another have been in your shoes pulling are hair out
It's a great forum to bounce ideas off and get a new line that we may not thought of?
Now even more EM owners have joined Pinside and just a matter of time when they will step up and lend a hand.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Additonally, the flippers work themselves loose, and then fall down....

you mean from being tightened in with the allen wrench twisties? I tightened the F outta mine and they are staying stable tho i notice that the shafts are now dug into.

Ive seen people recommend putting a washer under the flipper but have no experience myself.

When i get home ill see if i have a decent reel to send your way no cost no worries.
The two on ebay looked like good parts ones and for 11 buck you cant beat it.

Hopefully one of the hubs will be the correct size.

Whats the big plastic thing in your reel video on the top right?

#20 12 years ago

Greetings from India... Wont have many questions this week since I'm seperate from my machine.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Whats the big plastic thing in your reel video on the top right?

- Thats not pinball related... Forgot about that on my workbench. That is a motor that turns the bi-level doors on my Expedition. Damn thing has plastic gears, and after 8 years finally stripped. Sorry about that.

As for the flippers... I tightened the crapola out of them. They keep working loose. I'll try a longer hex wrench so that I can get more leverage while tightening. As for the dragging flipper, i'm going to try a washer. There is just too much play in the flipper up and down.

Will let you know how it goes, and what else I find broken in the process.

1 week later
#21 12 years ago

New problem..I noticed this on the 2nd and 4 player score reset relay. The fiber board broke about in the middle. The included pics show the broken one; and the good one from Player 1&3.

I have tired super gluing (And re-enforcing), but due to the material it just breaks again. How do i find or make a replacement? I've checked Macro and PBR; and they don't appear to have anything on their sites for sale. Any ideas?

IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpgIMG_0373.jpg

#22 12 years ago

How was India? Good to see you back.

Id call Steve at PBR. Ill bet he has that part. he has a stockload of parts not on the site

I did check at home and the CCM does not have the Match Unit On Off. (That was a williams i have)
so i would venture to say there is something else going on there. Is the coil good?

Also How did your reel purchase work out? Did they have what you needed?

J

#23 12 years ago

I'd find a thin piece of Lexan or plexi glass lay it out under the original one
and cut the slots with a dremal tool with cut off wheels

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

How was India?

Was a good trip, but very glad to be home.

Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

d find a thin piece of Lexan or plexi glass lay it out under the original one
and cut the slots with a dremal tool with cut off wheels

I was thinking just that, but could not figure out what material to use.... Thats a great idea.

So i called PBR today. As usual, I got the lecture on how bad Chicago Coin machines are (poorly built and boring----this i knew already, my first pin restore; and wanted to learn rather cheaply. Got mine for $125.00). You have to give them this, they know their stuff and speak their mind. Long story short, he might have the relay with the slotted piece I needed. (If not, I'm off to buy some Lexan.....)
I ordered a bunch of coils and other odd-n-ends....

Quoted from way2wyrd:

I did check at home and the CCM does not have the Match Unit On Off. (That was a williams i have)
so i would venture to say there is something else going on there. Is the coil good?

Interesting enough on this one. I found where to turn it off an on. It's not in the back box, but in the very front by the coin door. The options are "In" or "Out". Neither option appears to work. I checked the coil with my DVM; and it appears fine. I need to track back another level and find the relay that drives it. I've still got some other things to figure out, and it doesn't impact game play. So it can wait until the rest is done.

At this point, as long as you play under player1 the machine works 99%. I've got a couple coils that hum, a flipper that needs a new coil and EOS; and a chime that fails to work well due to missing the nylon stirker.

BTW...I fixed my flipper drag that i mentioned in a previous post. Sanded down the screw holes on the back of the playfiled. Previous owner had used other screws, and the wood around the whole had risen a bit (like a mini-volcano.. ). This caused the flipper to be mis-aligned and stike the playfiled on one side.

I will post some pictures tonight and update my profile.

Will post again when I find next problem.

#25 12 years ago

A few pics as promised. The site won't let me search or add this machine to my personal collection. Guess since this is SS site, no EM machines listed. Sniff...

IMG_4361.jpgIMG_4361.jpg IMG_4354.jpgIMG_4354.jpg IMG_4372.jpgIMG_4372.jpg IMG_4362.jpgIMG_4362.jpg IMG_4370.jpgIMG_4370.jpg

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Also How did your reel purchase work out? Did they have what you needed?
J

The pictures online did not due them justice. In person they looked like they came off the titanic. Rusted and corroded. Score reels have pin hole marks. Going to attempt to clean this weekend; and see if i can salvage enough to rebuild one of my score reels. The problem is that my score reels look better than the ones i got. Will let you know.... Thx.

1 week later
#28 12 years ago

The saga continues............but i'm down to only 3 problems; and only one i'm not sure how to fix.

Still have one score reel that is sluggish. From the ones i bought, will see if i can piece a good one together. The ones off ebay were in horrible shape.. Hoping I can salvage something.

Multiplayer works, but when it comes time to go back to player 1..it doesn't always happen. It sticks on the previous player and keeps scoring; and then suddenly switches back.
- I got a theory on this one... Think the spring on the player control unit doesnt have enough tension. I'm hoping that I can tighten the spring and resolve it.....

The Match Unit problem has me stumped. I found the selector to turn it on and off. Looking in the back box I see the 00-90 unit incrementing. But no lights at end of game for a match. Anyone have any ideas? Any idea how this works. There are lights for 10,20,30, and so on..... But they never light up.... The Match unit looks good, and the contacts are clean. From the schematics, I cant see anything else that would prevent this from working.

#29 12 years ago

Once i get this one done...will be looking for a SS machine.

#30 12 years ago

Ok..now im really stuck. Way2Wyrd need some help on this one.

Machine resets great...Now suddenly when the first 10 points is scored (hitting a bumper) the 10-90 relay in the back box stays energized and wont release. Additonally, it doesn't register 10 points on the score reel. It does this for all players (1,2,3,4)

While Troubleshooting, I found the following:

- The 1st player score reel (10 points) has a 3 blade leaf switch (its the only one). If i disconnect the 3rd blade in the switch, the relay releases, but then the relay never gets energized nor registers points. Game will play, but only 100, 1000 scoring...

- in the 10-90 realy..there are 4 switches (8 blades). RELAY- 1 2 3 4.
The problem seems to be related to switch 1. 1 and/or 3 appear to register points.

Anyone seen this problem before? I have been litterally pulling the machine apart.
Anyone have a picture of the 3 bladed swith that belongs to player 1 score reel (10 points)

Any ideas?

#31 12 years ago

heres the pic of the player 1 10 pt score.
By default the switch closest to the reel is closed and opens when the reel plunger fires

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:CCM_ScoreReel_front.jpg

does the plunger pull in for any of the player 10 pts reels. I would be suspicious of a closed score switch somewhere or an advance of some kind not moving forward for a 10 pt score.

Or.... does this have to do with the match unit issue? Is it supposed to increment every 10 pts? Did you turn it back off to see if thats what started the issue?
Maybe its no finishing that cycle and allowing the relay to open?

What does the 10 pts relay connect to in the schematic?

Thats where id start

J

#32 12 years ago

Way2wyrd, always appreciate your help....

Starting with score reel.. Mine looks the same. In question, I cant tell from the pic. There is techincally 3 contacts in that config. 1/2/3. 1/2 are closed by default. When i manually pull the plunger 2/3 close and 1 is open.

Question1... Are 3 wires coming off the top of this leaf switch..Each independent? I cant tell from the picture. Wandering if any are jumped together or not (mine are not)

Quoted from way2wyrd:

does the plunger pull in for any of the player 10 pts reels. I would be suspicious of a closed score switch somewhere or an advance of some kind not moving forward for a 10 pt score

- Doesn't move at all (10 point plunger). All the score reels are reset to zero; and all look good.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Or.... does this have to do with the match unit issue? Is it supposed to increment every 10 pts? Did you turn it back off to see if thats what started the issue?
Maybe its no finishing that cycle and allowing the relay to open?

- Now the match unit doesnt move at all...Enabiling or disabling the match unit has zero impact.
Normally the match unit would increment every 10 points.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

What does the 10 pts relay connect to in the schematic?

- I'm trying to work throught that now. Used to reading wiring schematics, but this one is extremely hard to follow. It looks to be connected all over the place. I'm going to try again tonight to see if I can trace back..

Again, my big interest is do you have 3 wires into the leaf switch on the score reel. I'm wandering if maybe 2 of the connections are jumpered or not.....

Thanks again for the help.. I'm so close, and then took 3 steps back.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Again, my big interest is do you have 3 wires into the leaf switch on the score reel. I'm wandering if maybe 2 of the connections are jumpered or not.....

Ill check when i get home friday. I work in FW during the week but live in Austin. Its a pain lol

so youre not even getting power to the coil?.. hmmm.

if you have the relay in stuck mode and then manually pull the reel so 1/2 disconnect and 2/3 connect does the relay release?

Maybe something before the coil is supposed to fire is verklempt...

#34 12 years ago

FW to Austin..Thats a nasty commute. Love Austin, but finding and keeping a good $$ job is tough. I've tire several times to move there, but no luck finding a good IT job.

So back to the matter at hand..

I know this....the 10-90 realy stays energized and wont let go (until i shut off) once a 10 point target is hit. Its clear that at least 2 of the leaf switches on the 10-90 relay should operate the 10 point score reel (somewhere down the line).
It does appear that the coil to the score reel does not get power. This happen for all 4 players.
I do note that the 10 point chime does ring

I'm thinking i've got a short somewhere... But where I can't figure. The score reels look golden; and were working previously.

This is why i would like to see your switch on player 1 score reel. Wandering if something is supposed to jumpered by chance at the top of the leaf switch connectors.

Appreciate the help... I swear this machine is toying with me. I get it working almost perfectly (Except match), and then this crap.... It figures...

#35 12 years ago

So I've checked again every EOS switch on the 10point score reels.all are closed; and pass a continuity test. Every 10-point on the play field is open. I looked at any relays and etc in the main box. Everything there again looks good. I'm about 95% certain it is in the back box, but where?

I'm reading the schematics, but due to the nature of its use through the entire game, it is almost impossible to follow.

I'm about to grab a bat and fix the problem the old fashion way....

#36 12 years ago

Thats the way i fix things also.

if you dont score on the field and instead manually activate the 10 pt relay what happens? Any score or does it stick closed?

At that point if its stuck and you manually pull the actuator on teh score reel does it release the relay?

10 point on the field should chime, match and score

Maybe the relay is just not adjusted correctly.

Manually activating i think should do all three things

If manual relay activation works but does not work from the playfiled score , thats the issue

ill get you the info on the wires fri. I (think) that yours is wired correctly but cannot be certain until i look.

#37 12 years ago

This thing is now just pissing me off. I'll explain at the base. Let me first answer your questions first:

if you dont score on the field and instead manually activate the 10 pt relay what happens? Any score or does it stick closed?

- Relay fires and stay energized. Chime rings. The match and score do not trigger. Score reel does not move. Relay does not release until I shut off the machine.

Maybe the relay is just not adjusted correctly.

- its correct, its the fact that it stays energized and does not release...and the fact that the 10 point does not score. if you look at the relay and switch, it looks like this:
1.JPG1.JPG

Let me know if i have this right.... but reading left to right.. Switch 1 and 4 work. The score reel switch does not....

Now for the Gremlins. Last night I was showing off my machine. Opened up the back box to show the contents to a friend. Restarted the game, and it now works again. I'm now of the opionion that I have a wire that must be broken inside its jacket. I'm guessing the occasinal bump allows it to make contact. At this point finding which wire in the chain is going to be pain staking.... I'm looking at the diagrams, but for 10 points its near impossible to track.

I've checked all contacts on the score reel along with ensuring the EOS works. Checked all with my DVM.. It has to be some transient connecting wire.

#38 12 years ago

I hate freaking Gremlins.

Ok so tommorow when i get home im going to

A. check the reel wiring for you
B. See if i can break some circuits to replicate your issue.
C. check the 10- 100 relay and respond

Maybe we can get to the bottom of at least the circuit.

Maybe you have a bad solder joint somewhere or a leaf touching where it shouldnt what a PITA

G.jpgG.jpg

#39 12 years ago

I still would like to see the pic of your EOS switch on Score reel for player 1. I want to check how its wired (and if theres a metal jumper).

1 other question.. How does match work on your CCM? On the backboard does a light illumiate for the correct 00-90 score? Does it continue to light or change throughout the game; or only illuminate at the end?

Heres why i ask... Last night i could see the match unit (00-90) incrementing correctly, but no lights. I went to check the bulbs and every single one related to match (00,10,20,etc) was burned out (figures, i swear i had replaced them previously). Replaced the bulbs.. Started a game... 00 flickered and then went out. Never saw anything else illuminate...

So how does this work..? Does it continue to light numbers while it changes during the game (as it increments); or does it only light the match number at the very end of the game?

That match units circuit/contact board is clean. I can confirm the wiper arms are making good contact.

Understanding the behavior of how your match works might assist in my efforts.

Again, appreciate all the support.

#40 12 years ago

dude thats awesome... should have gotten the pic.

I'm telling you this thing hates me..... Everytime i tell my kid it works... Poof!

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

I still would like to see the pic of your EOS switch on Score reel for player 1.

on it

Quoted from BrianZ:

On the backboard does a light illumiate for the correct 00-90 score? Does it continue to light or change throughout the game; or only illuminate at the end?

only at the end

flickered and went out? burned out or went out?

Only lights at game end . Also when first turning on machine

during game the match unit increments every 10 points.

At game end light bulb lights up with what ever match unit step its on

i can at the end of a game manually increment the match unit and see every light come on in sequence

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Relay does not release until I shut off the machine

you may find a NC contact on the relay that when the coil is pulled in- opens the signal wire shorting the coil? adjusting the gap tighter sometimes will cure this problem

#43 12 years ago

Thats very helpfull (Related to the Match Issue). Mine doesn't do any of that. I'm certain match is activated, and can watch the 00-90 unit increment on every 10 point scored.

I'm suspecting that the bulbs I just replaced on the 00-90 got burned up immediately (they did flicker for just a few). Now they do nothing. Will dig into it tonight (with Beer in hand).

Do you know the dependecy list for the match unit? Obviously its connected to the 00-90 relay switch bank. I'm assuming that is also connected to the end of game switch in the main box. I the upper light bank connected directly to the the 00-90 unit? (I would assume so...).

On the other problem (which of course has now gone away for now)

Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

you may find a NC contact on the relay that when the coil is pulled in- opens the signal wire shorting the coil? adjusting the gap tighter sometimes will cure this problem

- Will take a gander at that this evening.

#44 12 years ago

ok here are some pics.

Score Reel EOS ,
three separate lugs.
1. lug closest to reel is 1 dark wire
2. Middle lug is 2 (maybe used to be baby blue) wires
3. Lug closest to coil 1 yellow wire
reelswitch.jpgreelswitch.jpg
reelwires2.jpgreelwires2.jpg
Match Unit ,
For Reference the finger side
match.jpgmatch.jpg

Match Lights
Looks like the wires trace directly from the match unit to the lights. Makes sense
matchlights.jpgmatchlights.jpg
and Relay
All Switches open when off relay.jpgrelay.jpg

#45 12 years ago

Perfect. Very helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to do that.
I started working on the machine earlier today. Pulled the oo-90 unit. Working on it now..
Will provide an update once completed.

#46 12 years ago

A pic is worth 10,000 words...

IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0401.jpg IMG_0400.jpgIMG_0400.jpg

So i found the match problem. I had never previously pulled the 00-90 unit, since it was moving; and the contacts always looked good and checked out. While pulling the unit, I pulled off the metal arms.

What i could not have seen until i pulled the arms, that there was melted solder splash that had landed on top of it; and was resting against all the sandwiched plates. This explains why all the 00-90 lights kept burning out. (the past owner had tried to repair some 20 years ago)

Way2wrd, explaining how your 00-90 unit worked was a huge help. Along with the pics.

When i first started with the machine it had issues a mile long. It now works 100%.

Many thanks for walking with me on this restore........

Time to find another machine to work on.

#47 12 years ago

pic of the pulled 00-90 unit

IMG_0394.jpgIMG_0394.jpg

#48 12 years ago

Fing A!!!!

Gratz BrianZ. Glad we could get this worked out and get your machine up and running!

I can even see the 40 match in the backglass now

#49 12 years ago

Seriously appreciated the help.... If you are ever in H-town let me know. I owe you a few beers.

Now I need another project pin.....

#50 12 years ago

- Nice job BrianZ

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-hee-haw-machine-statrt-up-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.