image-179.jpg
image.jpg
image-591.jpg
image-543.jpg
image-480.jpg
image-206.jpg
image-819.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I always thought that the lighting for the villain inserts was a bit bland on the LEs. Can't change bulbs like on the pro. So I recently got around to installing some lighting gels (basically sheets of colored translucent paper). I am very happy with the results. Tried to match the colors to the villains. Yellow for Sabertooth, blue for Shadow King, Orange for Juggernaut, purple for Sentinals and red for Omega Red. The orange I got for Juggs was a bit too light (too much like Sabertooth) so I doubled up the gels - put 2 oranges in - and it looked way better.
image-819.jpgimage-819.jpg

#2 9 years ago

As you can see in the pic, I also added a green gel to Dark Phoenix's insert at the scoop - always hated how that was white like the villain light at the insert.

#3 9 years ago

Nicely done Ron!

#4 9 years ago

Good idea. I thought about this but was unsure how fast they would ghost up or melt?
Probably not a problem with LED but originally thought of something like this with old incandecent bulbs.
Looks fantastic. Really makes them pop instead of all bright white lights.

#5 9 years ago

Nice job. I have thought about trying to obtain different colored led light boards form Stern to solder in place of the existing white lights, but figured they would not sell them. Hopefully in the future they will sell them at Pinball life or Marco.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks! I think they look even better in person than the pic. I have noticed no ghosting, and I really don't think they should melt. The gels are actually sold for commercial lighting (e.g. stage lighting).

I also added a 906 purple flasher in Magento's 161 spotlight. Really stands out in his multiball.

image-206.jpgimage-206.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Link to the product you are using or are you making mini kits precut etc...

#8 9 years ago

Forgive my ignorance with a Pro, you dont have sockets to use LEDs?
How are the lights done...? White on a fixed board?

#9 9 years ago

Yup. White LEDs on a fixed board. No sockets.

#10 9 years ago

As I read the title to the thread, it seemed like I was selling this as a mod. My bad. I meant that it doesn't cost much to pick up these gels. I didn't intend to make this a for sale thread.

I did buy more than I needed though. First 5 people who PM me, I will send you a set for free (Shoot_Again gets first dibs). Small pay it forward for all the great help that I have gotten from people here on pinside.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

As I read the title to the thread, it seemed like I was selling this as a mod. My bad. I meant that it doesn't cost much to pick up these gels. I didn't intend to make this a for sale thread.
I did buy more than I needed though. First 5 people who PM me, I will send you a set for free (Shoot_Again gets first dibs). Small pay it forward for all the great help that I have gotten from people here on pinside.

PM sent. Thanks.

#12 9 years ago

looks great, bits of gel and a little rubber cement to place em? (sticks good also peels and rubs away easy)

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

looks great, bits of gel and a little rubber cement to place em? (sticks good also peels and rubs away easy)

Actually, even less. All I did was unscrew the LED board a bit, slide the gel between the insert and the light, screw it back, and put a small piece of electrical tape on one side of the gel to keep it from moving.

I'm off to bed for the night and will check back in in the morning.

#15 9 years ago

Couple left. Bump.

#16 9 years ago

So here is what I am sending out. Green, yellow, blue, 2 oranges (to double up and make darker), purple and red. Should go out Monday (Canada Post / USPS) to those I have exchanged PMs with. Hope you like them.image-480.jpgimage-480.jpg

#17 9 years ago

Here is a pic of them installed. In between the playfield and the LED board, secured with the odd bit of electrical tape. image-543.jpgimage-543.jpg

#18 9 years ago

The also look great in Metallica LE in the fuel lights. I did red, orange, yellow, light green and dark green. image-591.jpgimage-591.jpg

#19 9 years ago

Simple yet effective. Well done! Thanks for sharing.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

The also look great in Metallica LE in the fuel lights. I did red, orange, yellow, light green and dark green.

image-591.jpg 201 KB

Looking good, I put blue in front of sparky, goodbye white inserts.

#21 9 years ago

To all who PM'd me and I got back to - your gel kits were sent out this afternoon via Canada Post / USPS. Should arrive within a couple of weeks. Hope you all like them.

#22 9 years ago

Cant wait to put them in Thanks

#23 9 years ago

Got word that one set arrived safe and sound, amazingly across the continent in less than a week! Hope you all like the new look.

1 week later
#24 9 years ago

I got my set I am going to install them today and post pics here.

Thanks again for both the gels and the idea.

image-179.jpgimage-179.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I got my set I am going to install them today and post pics here.
Thanks again for both the gels and the idea.

image.jpg 229 KB

image-179.jpg 213 KB

Set the villain insert to Red. Much better.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Set the villain insert to Red. Much better.

I think that is a great idea. On my to do list for tonight, along with installing my newly arrived Tron backbox lighting kit from Kimball's Pinball.

#27 9 years ago

I think all the sets have arrived to those who requested (except for one to the UK).

Added the red insert to the Villain light. Great idea Judremy. Looks even better. Thanks!

image-103.jpgimage-103.jpg

#28 9 years ago

Count me in for a set somehow please. PM for any info/cash needed. Thanks

8 months later
#29 9 years ago

bump!

1 month later
#30 9 years ago

This is a great mod and incredibly simple. I'll be implementing as soon as my gels arrive.

#31 9 years ago

Thanks! I think it looks way better than all the stock white leds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-xmen-le-lighting-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.