CFTBL pop bumper mod.

Started 2 years ago by donjagra in forum MarketBuying advice.

Forum » Market » Buying advice » Topic

CFTBL pop bumper mod.

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by donjagra
  • 23 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from pascal-pinball

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

Finally pulled the trigger on the pop bumper mod for the Creature from the Black Lagoon. For some reason, the pop bumpers come with red bumper caps and with no lights. I thought it was too dark and that the red didn't look right with the green ramps, so I decided to match the post colors and go orange. It is a ton brighter and I really like it.

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

looks good

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

I dig it!

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

Looks awesome! Nice hologram too.

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

What a difference it makes. I know that area is low light. How long did it take to install?

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

Only took a couple of hours. Cheap too. Hardest part was deciding on the color.

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

Looks the way it should really.

Atomicboy

Pinball guru
    5,484,400 2
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

it is truly amazing this game had none. It is interesting how many different ways you can alter this though, either with GI, tied to inserts or flashers.

planters49

Pinball addict
    667,000 2
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

The game comes stock with the orange caps. I put teal caps and posts on mine. Looks pretty cool! The pop bumper mod is a really good addition to. I put LEDs in the pop bumpers instead of bulbs since it is a pain in the butt to replace bulbs in those bumpers

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #
    planters49 said:

I put LEDs in the pop bumpers instead of bulbs since it is a pain in the butt to replace bulbs in those bumpers

I had LEDs in there at first, but they made the orange look more yellow.

planters49 said:

The game comes stock with the orange caps. I put teal caps and posts on mine.

I thought they came stock with red....

I had a hard time deciding between the orange and the teal, orange matches the posts. The teal would match the divers better, even better if you change the posts too. Tough choice. Do you have a picture of the teal?

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

My Creature need this MOD were did you get it? and what is the cost? Thanks Rob

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

They sell the parts at most shops, here are some links to where I got mine. About $20.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1864

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BM-24-8776-1&Category_Code=LBS&Product_Count=1

Looks like the link is too long for the quick link. Guess you will have to cut and paste.

2 years, 7 months ago
    #

Where did you attach the leads and how did you get the light socket to stay in place?

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

The light sockets don't need to attach inside the bumper, when you get them in there, you will see why. I thought about making them flashers, but decided to just attach them to a GI. The flashers get too complicated too quickly. The leads are long enough to reach without and additional mods.

If I ever needed to remove them, it would be a couple of snips.

NM

Pinball master
    1,939,550 2
    2 years, 7 months ago
    #

I'm going with this look when I finally find myself a Creech.

dmacy

Pinball master
    2,229,800 2
    2 years, 4 months ago
    #

Just seeing this and love it! Really needs the extra light. So you went with the GI for them? I like them blinking when they're going off, but would rather the light up there all the time. I ordered some teal tops and bottoms too. Waiting to see how it looks if I want to do the guide lanes or not teal too.

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 4 months ago
    #

Yeah, the GI works out great. It dims when you are looking for the Creature or going for the jackpot, and it is a super easy mod.

2 years, 4 months ago
    #

I am in the minority, its suppose to be dark...the guy is stuck in the trunk and "its dark in here"

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 4 months ago
    #
    DougPiranha said:

I am in the minority, its suppose to be dark...the guy is stuck in the trunk and "its dark in here"

I was torn about that too, but once I did the mod the decision is clear. Way better with the GI. The DMD animations for the guy in the trunk still make sense and I don't feel I am missing out on anything with them lit.

dmacy

Pinball master
    2,229,800 2
    2 years, 4 months ago
    #

I'm with you Doug, but I'll take the light over the darkness. Its easy enough to undo if I would want to change back.

2 years, 4 months ago
    #

I have the Flasher mod done on mine also just finished up the back box LED mod which looks awesome. - sorry crappy pict

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 4 months ago
    #

That is freaking sweet. I would love to see a video of the flashers in action too.

2 years, 4 months ago
    #

I'll try and get a video for you of the game in action shortly

2 years, 4 months ago
    #
    donjagra said:

I was torn about that too, but once I did the mod the decision is clear. Way better with the GI. The DMD animations for the guy in the trunk still make sense and I don't feel I am missing out on anything with them lit.

Heck now your making me think about lighting it

I do lean purist...but it is dark up in the pop bumpers for sure!

2 years, 4 months ago
    #

I'm also thinking of putting some lights (not flashers) in there and going with led's.
    What kind should I be using and with the standard red caps would I use red or white ones?

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 4 months ago
    #

I used the regular 555s. I tried LEDs at first, but they just didn't work out the right way. I traded my red caps for the orange, they look great with the green ramp.

2 years, 3 months ago
    #

Thanks donjagra. I'd also like regular bulbs but the thought of removing half the playfield parts to change one of them scares me a bit.

2 years, 3 months ago
    #

Cointaker 4+1 LEDs look good in the pops. I color match the covers. Not sure if they will strobe when the GI dims though.

I like it, I think I like teal better. I would love to see that backbox led mod in action.

2 years, 3 months ago
    #

Great! I've found them. Thanks SC.

jimjam

Senior pinhead
    493,900 2
    2 years, 3 months ago
    #

I like these creech mods

dmacy

Pinball master
    2,229,800 2
    2 years, 3 months ago
    #

Very nice jimjam! Took me a while to understand what was going on with the top picture.

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    2 years, 3 months ago
    #

Wow, check that out, the mystery is gone. Was the tail light mod tough?

2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    donjagra said:

Yeah, the GI works out great. It dims when you are looking for the Creature or going for the jackpot, and it is a super easy mod.

Great point! So much for the flashers then.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I went a slightly different direction with my Creature mod, I used standard 555 bulbs and sockets, but instead of wiring them into the GI, I wired each one into one of the lightning bolts, ran the wires right onto the board. This way you get the best of both worlds, the lights don't stay on all the time, but flash the same way the lightning bolts do, you even get a bit of a pattern when in attract mode!! I also used LED's so they should last a long time and don't draw much more current.

Dale

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    dgpinball said:

I went a slightly different direction with my Creature mod, I used standard 555 bulbs and sockets, but instead of wiring them into the GI, I wired each one into one of the lightning bolts, ran the wires right onto the board. This way you get the best of both worlds, the lights don't stay on all the time, but flash the same way the lightning bolts do, you even get a bit of a pattern when in attract mode!! I also used LED's so they should last a long time and don't draw much more current.
    Dale

That's a great idea! I need to try it with my blacked out, green mist bumper mod.

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Dg, how did you attach them? Did you just connect them to the molex?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    donjagra said:

Dg, how did you attach them? Did you just connect them to the molex?

No, I soldered the wires right onto the triangular light board, each of the three lightning bolt lights has a solder pad connected to one side so it's quite easy, and then put all the returns to the common line on the board, works great!! I'm doing another one right now, I'll try to take a pic and post tomorrow.

Dale

dmacy

Pinball master
    2,229,800 2
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    fusion301 said:

I have the Flasher mod done on mine also just finished up the back box LED mod which looks awesome. - sorry crappy pict

I hope Martin gets this full kit completed soon. I'm not big on mods like this usually, but it goes with the theme so well.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    dmacy said:

I hope Martin gets this full kit completed soon

almoooosst there

dmacy

Pinball master
    2,229,800 2
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Awesome!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Here's a short video of my modded game in attract mode and a couple of pics of the wiring underneath:

» YouTube video

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Good looking mod. Nice work.

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

That is super cool. Looks like I have another project.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I know I have to do this mod, but I'm so lazy taking out the hell out of those CFTBL ramps! LOL

btw, when I do it, I'll do it attached to the bolt inserts just like above. I 'll try to do something like a little daughter board and a connector so the bumpers lamps are not directly soldered to the lamp board, and can be disconnected if wanted.

regards
    Buk

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Yep, the hardest part of any CFTBL pop bumper mod is taking out the ramps to get to them

It becomes readily apparent why they left the lights out, one of the best uses for LED's yet!!

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

So... That was a super easy switch from the GI to the bolts.

Thanks DG, it looks tons better. Now get those red caps off of there!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    dgpinball said:

Yep, the hardest part of any CFTBL pop bumper mod is taking out the ramps to get to them

Whici is exactly why WMS didn't put lamps in the pops in the first place. They knew operators would likely never change burnt out bulbs due to the ramps.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

Whici is exactly why WMS didn't put lamps in the pops in the first place. They knew operators would likely never change burnt out bulbs due to the ramps.

I was gonna say that you can gain access without having to fully remove the ramps. They do need to be repositioned though. You can get away with not having to disconnect the switches.

Nice. I never thought about the ops attitude toward maintenance as an explanation for the lack of lighting, but it makes a lot of sense. I always thought it was theme driven by the darkness of the trunk. Form equals function.

dgpinball said:

No, I soldered the wires right onto the triangular light board, each of the three lightning bolt lights has a solder pad connected to one side so it's quite easy, and then put all the returns to the common line on the board, works great!! I'm doing another one right now, I'll try to take a pic and post tomorrow.
    Dale

Dale:

Nice clean job on the mod. I have always been reluctant to make any lighting mod permanently attached if it would interfere with disassembly, but that is just me.

Did you attach each bumper to the bolt on the opposing position of the clock face, i.e, six with twelve, two with eight, four with ten?

Dan

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I did mine opposite bolt to bumper, the you tube video is the adjacent bolt.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    donjagra said:

I did mine opposite bolt to bumper, the you tube video is the adjacent bolt.

that would make the pop bumper with the lightning bolt pointing directly away from it light up at the same time as that particular lightning bolt, correct?

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple