2012-06-16_18-00-17_682.jpg
2012-06-16_18-00-10_127.jpg
E8ORKUWA8E4CKxJKiOT9xQ1347838.jpg
atZ8Ktoqh3I_-nrgcFS4gw1340164.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-12-20_at_1.52.56_PM.png
DSC07201_sized.jpg
IMG_4820.JPG
IMG_4818.JPG
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Finally pulled the trigger on the pop bumper mod for the creature from the black lagoon. For some reason, the pop bumpers come with red bumper caps and with no lights. I thought it was too dark and that the red didn't look right with the green ramps, so I decided to match the post colors and go orange. It is a ton brighter and I really like it.

IMG_4818.JPGIMG_4818.JPG IMG_4820.JPGIMG_4820.JPG

#3 12 years ago

I dig it!

#4 12 years ago

Looks awesome! Nice hologram too.

#5 12 years ago

What a difference it makes. I know that area is low light. How long did it take to install?

#6 12 years ago

Only took a couple of hours. Cheap too. Hardest part was deciding on the color.

#7 12 years ago

Looks the way it should really.

#8 12 years ago

it is truly amazing this game had none. It is interesting how many different ways you can alter this though, either with GI, tied to inserts or flashers.

#9 12 years ago

The game comes stock with the orange caps. I put teal caps and posts on mine. Looks pretty cool! The pop bumper mod is a really good addition to. I put LEDs in the pop bumpers instead of bulbs since it is a pain in the butt to replace bulbs in those bumpers

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

I put LEDs in the pop bumpers instead of bulbs since it is a pain in the butt to replace bulbs in those bumpers

I had LEDs in there at first, but they made the orange look more yellow.

Quoted from planters49:

The game comes stock with the orange caps. I put teal caps and posts on mine.

I thought they came stock with red....

I had a hard time deciding between the orange and the teal, orange matches the posts. The teal would match the divers better, even better if you change the posts too. Tough choice. Do you have a picture of the teal?

#11 12 years ago

My Creature need this MOD were did you get it? and what is the cost? Thanks Rob

#12 12 years ago

They sell the parts at most shops, here are some links to where I got mine. About $20.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1864

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BM-24-8776-1&Category_Code=LBS&Product_Count=1

Looks like the link is too long for the quick link. Guess you will have to cut and paste.

#13 12 years ago

Where did you attach the leads and how did you get the light socket to stay in place?

#14 12 years ago

The light sockets don't need to attach inside the bumper, when you get them in there, you will see why. I thought about making them flashers, but decided to just attach them to a GI. The flashers get too complicated too quickly. The leads are long enough to reach without and additional mods.

If I ever needed to remove them, it would be a couple of snips.

#15 12 years ago

I'm going with this look when I finally find myself a Creech.

DSC07201_sized.jpgDSC07201_sized.jpg

3 months later
#16 12 years ago

Just seeing this and love it! Really needs the extra light. So you went with the GI for them? I like them blinking when they're going off, but would rather the light up there all the time. I ordered some teal tops and bottoms too. Waiting to see how it looks if I want to do the guide lanes or not teal too.

#17 12 years ago

Yeah, the GI works out great. It dims when you are looking for the Creature or going for the jackpot, and it is a super easy mod.

#18 12 years ago

I am in the minority, its suppose to be dark...the guy is stuck in the trunk and "its dark in here"

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I am in the minority, its suppose to be dark...the guy is stuck in the trunk and "its dark in here"

I was torn about that too, but once I did the mod the decision is clear. Way better with the GI. The DMD animations for the guy in the trunk still make sense and I don't feel I am missing out on anything with them lit.

#20 12 years ago

I'm with you Doug, but I'll take the light over the darkness. Its easy enough to undo if I would want to change back.

#21 12 years ago

I have the Flasher mod done on mine also just finished up the back box LED mod which looks awesome. - sorry crappy pict

Screen_shot_2011-12-20_at_1.52.56_PM.pngScreen_shot_2011-12-20_at_1.52.56_PM.png

#22 12 years ago

That is freaking sweet. I would love to see a video of the flashers in action too.

#23 12 years ago

I'll try and get a video for you of the game in action shortly

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I was torn about that too, but once I did the mod the decision is clear. Way better with the GI. The DMD animations for the guy in the trunk still make sense and I don't feel I am missing out on anything with them lit.

Heck now your making me think about lighting it

I do lean purist...but it is dark up in the pop bumpers for sure!

#25 12 years ago

I'm also thinking of putting some lights (not flashers) in there and going with led's.
What kind should I be using and with the standard red caps would I use red or white ones?

#26 12 years ago

I used the regular 555s. I tried LEDs at first, but they just didn't work out the right way. I traded my red caps for the orange, they look great with the green ramp.

#27 12 years ago

Thanks donjagra. I'd also like regular bulbs but the thought of removing half the playfield parts to change one of them scares me a bit.

#28 12 years ago

Cointaker 4+1 LEDs look good in the pops. I color match the covers. Not sure if they will strobe when the GI dims though.

I like it, I think I like teal better. I would love to see that backbox led mod in action.

#29 12 years ago

Great! I've found them. Thanks SC.

#30 12 years ago

I like these creech mods

atZ8Ktoqh3I_-nrgcFS4gw1340164.jpgatZ8Ktoqh3I_-nrgcFS4gw1340164.jpg E8ORKUWA8E4CKxJKiOT9xQ1347838.jpgERKUWA8E4CKxJKiOT9xQ1347838.jpg

#31 12 years ago

Very nice jimjam! Took me a while to understand what was going on with the top picture.

#32 12 years ago

Wow, check that out, the mystery is gone. Was the tail light mod tough?

2 months later
#33 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Yeah, the GI works out great. It dims when you are looking for the Creature or going for the jackpot, and it is a super easy mod.

Great point! So much for the flashers then.

3 months later
#34 11 years ago

I went a slightly different direction with my Creature mod, I used standard 555 bulbs and sockets, but instead of wiring them into the GI, I wired each one into one of the lightning bolts, ran the wires right onto the board. This way you get the best of both worlds, the lights don't stay on all the time, but flash the same way the lightning bolts do, you even get a bit of a pattern when in attract mode!! I also used LED's so they should last a long time and don't draw much more current.

Dale

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I went a slightly different direction with my Creature mod, I used standard 555 bulbs and sockets, but instead of wiring them into the GI, I wired each one into one of the lightning bolts, ran the wires right onto the board. This way you get the best of both worlds, the lights don't stay on all the time, but flash the same way the lightning bolts do, you even get a bit of a pattern when in attract mode!! I also used LED's so they should last a long time and don't draw much more current.
Dale

That's a great idea! I need to try it with my blacked out, green mist bumper mod.

#36 11 years ago

Dg, how did you attach them? Did you just connect them to the molex?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Dg, how did you attach them? Did you just connect them to the molex?

No, I soldered the wires right onto the triangular light board, each of the three lightning bolt lights has a solder pad connected to one side so it's quite easy, and then put all the returns to the common line on the board, works great!! I'm doing another one right now, I'll try to take a pic and post tomorrow.

Dale

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

I have the Flasher mod done on mine also just finished up the back box LED mod which looks awesome. - sorry crappy pict

I hope Martin gets this full kit completed soon. I'm not big on mods like this usually, but it goes with the theme so well.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I hope Martin gets this full kit completed soon

almoooosst there

#40 11 years ago

Awesome!

#41 11 years ago

Here's a short video of my modded game in attract mode and a couple of pics of the wiring underneath:

2012-06-16_18-00-10_127.jpg2012-06-16_18-00-10_127.jpg 2012-06-16_18-00-17_682.jpg2012-06-16_18-00-17_682.jpg

#42 11 years ago

Good looking mod. Nice work.

#43 11 years ago

That is super cool. Looks like I have another project.

#44 11 years ago

I know I have to do this mod, but I'm so lazy taking out the hell out of those CFTBL ramps! LOL

btw, when I do it, I'll do it attached to the bolt inserts just like above. I 'll try to do something like a little daughter board and a connector so the bumpers lamps are not directly soldered to the lamp board, and can be disconnected if wanted.

regards
Buk

#45 11 years ago

Yep, the hardest part of any CFTBL pop bumper mod is taking out the ramps to get to them

It becomes readily apparent why they left the lights out, one of the best uses for LED's yet!!

#46 11 years ago

So... That was a super easy switch from the GI to the bolts.

Thanks DG, it looks tons better. Now get those red caps off of there!

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Yep, the hardest part of any CFTBL pop bumper mod is taking out the ramps to get to them

Whici is exactly why WMS didn't put lamps in the pops in the first place. They knew operators would likely never change burnt out bulbs due to the ramps.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Whici is exactly why WMS didn't put lamps in the pops in the first place. They knew operators would likely never change burnt out bulbs due to the ramps.

I was gonna say that you can gain access without having to fully remove the ramps. They do need to be repositioned though. You can get away with not having to disconnect the switches.

Nice. I never thought about the ops attitude toward maintenance as an explanation for the lack of lighting, but it makes a lot of sense. I always thought it was theme driven by the darkness of the trunk. Form equals function.

Quoted from dgpinball:

No, I soldered the wires right onto the triangular light board, each of the three lightning bolt lights has a solder pad connected to one side so it's quite easy, and then put all the returns to the common line on the board, works great!! I'm doing another one right now, I'll try to take a pic and post tomorrow.
Dale

Dale:

Nice clean job on the mod. I have always been reluctant to make any lighting mod permanently attached if it would interfere with disassembly, but that is just me.

Did you attach each bumper to the bolt on the opposing position of the clock face, i.e, six with twelve, two with eight, four with ten?

Dan

#49 11 years ago

I did mine opposite bolt to bumper, the you tube video is the adjacent bolt.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I did mine opposite bolt to bumper, the you tube video is the adjacent bolt.

that would make the pop bumper with the lightning bolt pointing directly away from it light up at the same time as that particular lightning bolt, correct?

bumpers.jpgbumpers.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
$ 9.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-pop-bumper-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.