(Topic ID: 37155)

Centaur II reborn. Playfield swap complete!

By MikeS

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2686_zpsd23c01a2.jpg
IMG_2674_zps458a0b4f.jpg
IMG_2685_zps00e6a7f7.jpg
IMG_2664_zps51414409.jpg
IMG_2676_zps2538e349.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I just wrapped up my Centaur II playfield swap over the weekend and thought I'd share some pics. This is my second full playfield swap after completing Flash Gordon last year and I have to say that this one was quite a bit easier. Only a single playfield vs. 2, less flippers and pops, and a much more simplistic playfield layout.-plus it helps having a swap under my belt already.

I swapped in a new CPR playfield and mirrored plastic set, new legs, new drops, new playfield posts, new flipper bats,new pop bumper caps and lane guides, and many other replacement parts thanks mostly to Pinball Resource. I tumbled all the metal parts, regrained the rails, and cleaned everything that could use cleaning. I also touched up/cleaned up the cabinet and put on a new coin door sticker and rebuilt the driver board with new caps. I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's amazing how great the artwork is on these classic Bally games! The only thing I'm still considering doing is replacing my lamp boards with Alltek's so that I can add LED's to the inserts.-I get flickering with my stock boards.

I didn't take as many pics of the process as I did with my Flash Gordon swap, but the pictures I have are up on Photobucket:
http://s241.beta.photobucket.com/user/appetite4pinball/library/Centaur%20II%20Playfield%20Swap

IMG_2676_zps2538e349.jpgIMG_2676_zps2538e349.jpg IMG_2664_zps51414409.jpgIMG_2664_zps51414409.jpg IMG_2685_zps00e6a7f7.jpgIMG_2685_zps00e6a7f7.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Beauty! Thx for posting the pics

#3 11 years ago

Thanks! Here's a couple more pics

IMG_2674_zps458a0b4f.jpgIMG_2674_zps458a0b4f.jpg IMG_2686_zpsd23c01a2.jpgIMG_2686_zpsd23c01a2.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Great job Mike, looks amazing! You're right about the art on the classic Bally games, can't wait until I'm able to finish my Xenon and Paragon. Until they're restored I just like to admire the details in the artwork. Centaur would look great with LED's, considering them on my Xenon.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks Todd. I didn't even know that you picked up a Xenon.-Now there's a game that looks great with LED's! Your Paragon already looks great from what I've seen but I'm sure it will look awesome once you're done with it. Next game on my list is a full shop job on BK2K. It doesn't really need it but the playfield looks dirty next to Centaur and FG now

#6 11 years ago

Looks really nice. I'm looking at tackling this swap soon. I've read that there is an issue with the pop bumper area (the holes were routed too deep?) that required the use of shims and issues with dimple placement. Did you run into these or anything else of note? Also did you run new ground wire or swap over the old one? Approx. how many hours did the swap take you? Thanks!

#7 11 years ago

You should bring that to MGC and set it up where it was last year.

#8 11 years ago

Very nice machine, that looks beautiful. I am envious of your collection. Nice taste! Some day ill find me a Centaur or II.

#9 11 years ago

I read about the issue with the pop bumpers ahead of time but it wasn't an issue on my game for whatever reason as mine came up flush on the playfield? Maybe since mine is a II? I didn't really run into any major hurdles. The biggest piece of advice I'd give you is to not trust the pre-dimpled holes on the repro playfield and measure everything for yourself using your old playfield. Also pre-drill all of the screw holes/wire guide holes on the top side of the playfield using a brad-tipped drillbit, otherwise you could get some lifting/damage to your new playfield. Just be careful and have patience and I'm sure you'll do just fine! Also, on this swap I re-used the existing ground wire/bulb sockets which saved some time and money. I did all new sockets/ground on my Flash Gordon swap because the older style "44" sockets are crap. The "555" sockets on my CII are much more reliable. In a few spots on the playfield I ran new ground wire because the old stuff got damaged when taking it off the old playfield.

#10 11 years ago

WOW!!! Really looking forward to seeing and playing!

How does it play? Any issues with the ORBS target causing more STDM drains liek some others have posted?

Also, I vote for LEDs. I think the GI needs some retro/frosted reds and the inserts would really pop on Centaur if color matched with LEDs just right. Such an awesome game!!!

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

You should bring that to MGC and set it up where it was last year.

That would be pretty funny

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

WOW!!! Really looking forward to seeing and playing!
How does it play? Any issues with the ORBS target causing more STDM drains liek some others have posted?
Also, I vote for LEDs. I think the GI needs some retro/frosted reds and the inserts would really pop on Centaur if color matched with LEDs just right. Such an awesome game!!!

It plays really well but I still need to make some adjustments to the ORBS targets. I don't get SDTM drains but hard direct shots cause the drops to stay up. It's a common problem and I may need to add a second set of springs to the drops or modify the drops to allow them to fall easier. If I put black rubber behind them it works better but I think the white rubber is too bouncy and causes the drop to spring back before it gets a chance to drop. Other than that though the game plays great!

I think I will add some LED's in the future. Just need to experiment with what looks good before taking the full plunge and buying the boards.

#13 11 years ago

Looking sweet. Love the eighties machines!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-ii-reborn-playfield-swap-complete and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.