IMG_7834.JPG
CC_Grelay.jpg
IMG_7826.JPG
IMG_7825.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG
IMG_7828.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Stumped again!

So everything WAS working and I did the pop bumper re-build - it worked but downhill afterwards. I soldered the lamp holder but had towel underneath.

All drop targets should score 500 points and chime.

Now top 8 drop targets chime and score 100.

Bottom 8 don't chime and score zero.

Score motor turns for all of them.

Have checked G relay.

What on earth have I done?! Thanks as driving me nuts even more so when the playfield fell on my head - one of those days!

IMG_7828.JPGIMG_7828.JPG IMG_7827.JPGIMG_7827.JPG IMG_7825.JPGIMG_7825.JPG IMG_7826.JPGIMG_7826.JPG
#2 10 years ago

I assume the G relay is the one located above the "Knocker" coil on the schematic? (Hard to tell in your photo)

Is G located on the playfield or the lower relay board (with the score motor)

If it is, does the G relay energize with each Drop Target?
If so, does it stay energized for MOST of the score motor cycle?

If not, what happens if you hold G in with your finger? Do you get 500 points for each score motor cycle?

#3 10 years ago

yep, that's where G is located:
CC_Grelay.jpgCC_Grelay.jpg

#4 10 years ago

CJ's questions are good observational points, since the schematic logic doesn't indicate a distinction among the drop targets.

Basically, hitting any of the eight drop targets should close their corresponding switch as they drop, and activate the G relay via a normally closed switch at score motor position 1C.

Then G should stay locked on via a switch that closes on its own switch stack until a switch opens at score motor position 2B.

Now, while G is active and has its switches closed, it causes the score motor to run. This in turn pulses close a switch at score motor position 1A five times. Each time the switch at 1A closes, if the target is still worth only 500 (and not 10x), then it goes through a closed switch on U, another switch that's closed on G to reach and activate the 100 pt relay, M. A switch closing on M then activates the Add 100 point stepper. Since the switch at 1A is pulsed five times, 500 points are scored.

However, there's nothing in the logic that would discriminate among the eight drop targets; they all feed G equally, with no intervening switches.

So, perhaps when the playfield dropped, the lower target banks have somehow gotten disrupted?

#5 10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Playfield on head was later while inspecting G relay!

So, tested again. At least all drops are now doing same thing. All chiming and scoring 100 instead of required 500.

The G relay has 4 open switches - operating it manually and score motor turns one. Guessing it should turn 5?

And reading above seems to suggest it is not staying locked on?

Photos of area 1 on score motor and under first level - I don't know much about score motors.

IMG_7834.JPGIMG_7834.JPG IMG_7835.JPGIMG_7835.JPG
#6 10 years ago

The score motor will only need to turn 1/3 of a full revolution. The bottom cam has groups of five points on it, and the switch at position 1A then gets its five pulses that way.

You can tell if G is staying locked on or not by just pressing the switch ladder stack down (the plastic part attached to the armature plate) and letting go. If it stays down while the score motor runs, it's locked on. If it releases as soon as you let go, it's not.

It could just be that the switch at score motor position 1A needs its contacts cleaned, or if G is not staying locked on, switches there. If the game sat for a long time without being played, any of the switches could have oxidized.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The score motor will only need to turn 1/3 of a full revolution. The bottom cam has groups of five points on it, and the switch at position 1A then gets its five pulses that way.
You can tell if G is staying locked on or not by just pressing the switch ladder stack down (the plastic part attached to the armature plate) and letting go. If it stays down while the score motor runs, it's locked on. If it releases as soon as you let go, it's not.
It could just be that the switch at score motor position 1A needs its contacts cleaned, or if G is not staying locked on, switches there. If the game sat for a long time without being played, any of the switches could have oxidized.

G motor stays on while score motor runs so guess G is good to go.

Went under that first stack and took bottom level off - not easy to get back on! Cleaned contacts.

Picture here.

Still scoring 100 instead of 500. Now wondering if this fault was already here and I hadn't noticed....

IMG_7838.JPGIMG_7838.JPG

UPDATE

Thanks Dirt for your advice

A friend of mine suggested same thing but nothing working.

Anyway took above contact off, cleaned. Decided to play a test game. Balls 1 and 2 scoring 100 and then suddenly on ball 3 it's all working again scoring 500 on all drops!

I have no idea why on earth this has happened!

#8 10 years ago

Check the switch on U then.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Check the switch on U then.

See update! Above.

#10 10 years ago

Those larger contacts like on the switch at 1A really need a good burnishing; a light cleaning sometimes isn't sufficient. Maybe playing it more allowed the wiping action to kick in and take care of the rest.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Those larger contacts like on the switch at 1A really need a good burnishing; a light cleaning sometimes isn't sufficient. Maybe playing it more allowed the wiping action to kick in and take care of the rest.

Oh yes, self cleaning - that could be it.

Whist I am on a roll so to speak, I noticed the drop targets are sticky. I looked at underneath them and there is a line of grease or something that a metal bit slides along. See photos as rubbish description. Would it be an idea to take each switch off and clean that stuff off? And then leave it as is or but bit of lube on?

I don't want to tackle whole bank and this seems like it might make them less sticky?

So taking switch off you can see in photo - nearest?

Second photo shows metal sliding bit?

IMG_7837.JPGIMG_7837.JPG IMG_7836.JPGIMG_7836.JPG
#12 10 years ago

The metal bit is the 'lifter arm', and yeah, it can drag on that switch blade, due to the built up gunk. Cleaning off the gunk and putting just a little bit of SuperLube is good. Sometimes there's too much tension on the switch blade, but I would start with cleaning first.

#13 10 years ago

cool, you got the first issue solved...

as far as the drop targets... it's always possible that what you pictured is causing the "stickiness", but being that pinball machines like attention, it probably wants you to disassemble the whole box...

it won't take too long to find out though... as df said, a LIGHT coat of superlube can work wonders there...

#14 10 years ago

Trust me, it doesn't want me to disassemble the whole box

Will just go for cleaning initially as game is clean so hopefully this will be enough.

Thanks for all the advice

It's a buzz getting them fixed and I kind of feel that em's get a bad wrap because they are often set up poorly so I am trying to get mine to play 100%.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I guarantee it does!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

I guarantee it does!

yup, me too... poor drop target box, neglected for all these years... if i didn't know better, i'd say that white stuff on there was dried up salt from the tears of loneliness...

Will just go for cleaning initially as game is clean so hopefully this will be enough.
Thanks for all the advice
It's a buzz getting them fixed and I kind of feel that em's get a bad wrap because they are often set up poorly so I am trying to get mine to play 100%.

aw c'mon, it's not that bad to do...

yes, it sure is a buzz... i hope that thrill never wears off, personally...

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yup, me too... poor drop target box, neglected for all these years... if i didn't know better, i'd say that white stuff on there was dried up salt from the tears of loneliness...

aw c'mon, it's not that bad to do...
yes, it sure is a buzz... i hope that thrill never wears off, personally...

Well, it tells me it can go to the last task on the list

Always wondered what that dried up white stuff is under these games - does look like salt!

#18 10 years ago

Try some on yer dinner, tell us how it tastes

#19 10 years ago

You can do it!

I was afraid to take my drop target assemblies apart but after many problems I had to do it and I'm pretty new to this. While you are in there you can replace the little spring that pulls the lever and maybe even the whole lift lever. Check too see if there is a wear mark on the top part of the lever were it hits the bar when resetting. If it worn too much it may cause resetting issues! If you do attempt it, do not take the whole box apart. Keep the screws on the side opposite where the levers slide through very loose and slide the levers off the bar two to one side and two to the other side. It makes it easier.

Good Luck,
PinballTom113

#20 10 years ago

Here's a link I started when I rebuilt the drops on my nasty High hand.... same as Captain card, but replay, not add-a-ball. It's not too bad of a job, just time consuming. A ultrasonic cleaner makes it easy to clean the parts.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-you-dont-use-wd40-on-drop-targets

1 month later
#21 10 years ago

So, I took the easy route and just cleaned this black stuff off and added lube instead. Seems to have done the job. Will it last and what is this black stuff anyway?? Thanks

The 2 drops that were getting stuck do go down now so leaving as is but curious in case it happens again?

IMG_7872.JPGIMG_7872.JPG
#22 10 years ago

So, I took the easy route and just cleaned this black stuff off and added lube instead. Seems to have done the job. Will it last and what is this black stuff anyway??

The 2 drops that were getting stuck do go down now so leaving as is but curious in case it happens again?

Old oil & dirt probably. If it happens again, clean, adjust, & maybe replace springs.

#23 10 years ago

So, I took the easy route and just cleaned this black stuff off and added lube instead. Seems to have done the job. Will it last and what is this black stuff anyway?? Thanks

IMG_7872.JPG 255 KB

it is "grunge"...

even after i rebuilt a drop target bank entirely with new parts and adjusted switches endlessly to try to get the right tension, i still had a few "sticky" targets that required just a tad of lube in that spot...

will it last? depends... if "something else" is causing the issue, no, this is probably just a bandaid* (although the bandaid might work for a long time)... if everything has been cleaned (or replaced if necessary) and adjusted, and they are a bit sticky due to tension from the switch, then yes, i would imagine it will work for a good long time... dirtflipper has never steered me wrong...

* true of all things, i guess... if there is a "root cause" and you just treat the symptoms, eventually you'll have to address the root cause...

#24 10 years ago

Thanks - it is a very low play game so hoping my band aid approach works as do not fancy taking it apart!

#25 10 years ago

got my fingers crossed for you...

but really, they aren't that hard to do, so if you end up having to tear it completely apart, don't fear it...

the step by step instructions on pinwiki are very good, and once you've done the first one, they go by much faster... they just LOOK intimidating...

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

got my fingers crossed for you...
but really, they aren't that hard to do, so if you end up having to tear it completely apart, don't fear it...
the step by step instructions on pinwiki are very good, and once you've done the first one, they go by much faster... they just LOOK intimidating...

+1, it's not too hard at all. Even a green rookie such as myself did it with no problems.

1 week later
#27 9 years ago

Thanks - it is a very low play game so hoping my band aid approach works as do not fancy taking it apart!

I'm with the others, take some pic so you know where all the springs are. It is made real well and quite serviceable.
Unlike things of today!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capt-card-drop-target-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.