Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0.jpg
BSD.JPG
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 12 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

What I (and I'm assuming others) mean by the shorter flipper bats making you a better player, is that it forces you to learn to nudge the machine. If your bat is shorter and the ball is going to miss the end of it....you're going to learn to nudge a lot, and quickly.

How is that any different than with normal sized flippers? I.e., even if the bats are a little longer, if the ball is still going to miss the bat, doesn't that force you to nudge as well? Or are you saying that because it will happen more often on BSD it forces you to nudge more often, thereby giving you more practice at it?

#52 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

phishrace said:The other reason it helps a player is because Drac doesn't allow post passes. Because of where the lower sling posts are located, it's not possible. So even if you manage to get control of the ball with the shrimpy flippers, you can't pass it over to the other side. These two things combined discourage controlled play. If you want to score big on Drac, you need to keep things moving. Drac, with it's short flippers, teaches a player how to play on the fly. Whether he likes it or not.
I agree with what you are saying in terms of how BSD plays and what it forces you to do, but I don't understand how any of this makes you a better player on other pins by using the lightning flippers.

Yea , lightning Flipper's Suck !! I took them off by BSD after owning it 2 Yr's , and it Still Kill's me
and the angle of the L.flip's / reg flip's are No diff--.. It's all in Yr head.

#53 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

ut I don't understand how any of this makes you a better player on other pins by using the lightning flippers.

It seems like it's a bit easier to cradle balls on a standard size flipper after doing so on a lightning flip game. I can't say that i'm necessarily better, it might just seem easier now.

#54 12 years ago

I use white rubber and bouncy flipper rubber (not black). It takes time to learn how to catch the ball because that little bit of extra flipper seems to make all the difference when countering ball spin.

#55 12 years ago

Shorter lever = less leverage.

#56 12 years ago

Lightning flippers are part of the BSD myth so I will leave them on no matter how painful!

I left them on my FT as well....

#57 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

It seems like it's a bit easier to cradle balls on a standard size flipper after doing so on a lightning flip game. I can't say that i'm necessarily better, it might just seem easier now.

Right, and I would think from a purely objective viewpoint it IS easier with standard flippers vs lightning flippers.

#58 12 years ago

I hate BSD... with a passion. Every time I play one I want to tip it over and set it on fire.

#59 12 years ago

Every time I play one I want to tip it over and set it on fire.

Don't forget to finish it off with the peni...err...STAKE!

0.jpg0.jpg

Wouldn't want that pin coming back from the dead on you P_C...

#60 12 years ago

Holy! That's totally a penis.. lol!

#61 12 years ago

"Shorter lever = less leverage."

Not really, the power "into the flipper" is determined by the coil and is equal to power "out of the flipper, minus friction" (assuming that the mechanism efficiency is constant with different bats).

So if the bat is longer it moves slower (with the ball at the end) due to it's less mechanical advantage at the coil compared to the shorter bat.

So ball velocity should be equal.

Robert

#62 12 years ago

One of the best DMD images ever.

#63 12 years ago

When there is no load on the flipper, the tip of the longer one travels at a higher speed as it follows a longer circumference. The ratio of flipper coil strength to ball weight is such that a 1/8" flipper length difference probably has minimal effect on ball launch speed from the flipper tip.

#64 12 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

So if the bat is longer it moves slower (with the ball at the end) due to it's less mechanical advantage at the coil compared to the shorter bat.

These coils are quite strong and don't seem to have any load/speed degradation, so they travel at the same speed with the longer bat as they do with the short bat. It seems that they are limited by the coil sleeve friction more than the length of the flipper. So a longer flipper will move faster at the tip. You may have a point though, more length will cause more resistance. Remember, we are also only talking about 1/8th of an inch here, so the wider gap SDTM could be a bigger factor.

I put the shorter bats on my machine to reduce ball speed because the strength of the flippers was causing the ball to jump off the rails and it worked.

This thread shows a number of pinsiders that have changed them out for a longer bat because they felt disadvantaged by them. Therefore, it stands to reason that some effect on the gameplay does exist.

#65 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

RobT said:phishrace said:The other reason it helps a player is because Drac doesn't allow post passes. Because of where the lower sling posts are located, it's not possible. So even if you manage to get control of the ball with the shrimpy flippers, you can't pass it over to the other side. These two things combined discourage controlled play. If you want to score big on Drac, you need to keep things moving. Drac, with it's short flippers, teaches a player how to play on the fly. Whether he likes it or not.
I agree with what you are saying in terms of how BSD plays and what it forces you to do, but I don't understand how any of this makes you a better player on other pins by using the lightning flippers.

Yea , lightning Flipper's Suck !! I took them off by BSD after owning it 2 Yr's , and it Still Kill's me
and the angle of the L.flip's / reg flip's are No diff--.. It's all in Yr head.

Agreed. My BSD had the lightning flippers as well.....hated them. I put standard "blood red" flippers on mine....and it still beats me up! But at least they "look" cooler while doing so BSD originally was stocked with regular flips....ops just started using them lightning do-dads to decrease ball times....booooooo.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#67 12 years ago
Quoted from btrip:

That's probably just the tournament strategy and I'm sure there's other things to do.

nope, that's pretty much it.

#68 12 years ago

Yeah I don't watch those videos anymore, they ruin the gameplay for me

#69 12 years ago

I love BSD, mine has a home for life.

#70 12 years ago
Quoted from Trident:

I love BSD, mine has a home for life.

Amen !!!!

#71 12 years ago

I can post pass on my bsd phish..just takes some practice...

#72 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Or are you saying that because it will happen more often on BSD it forces you to nudge more often, thereby giving you more practice at it?

Bingo. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. You get a lot of practice this way, and that transfers to every game out there, lightning flips or not.

Post edited by MGE : fixed a typo

#73 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Yes, indeed. I can do them on mine as well.

#74 12 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

RobT said:Or are you saying that because it will happen more often on BSD it forces you to nudge more often, thereby giving you more practice at it?

Bingo. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. You get a lot of practice this way, and that transfers to every game out there, lightning flips or not.
Post edited by MGE : fixed a typo

Got ya, makes sense.

#75 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

For those having trouble with the outlanes, adjust them. Both sides have 3 settings. On my game, the left side is in the middle and the right side is all the way open. Making your game steeper can also help keep balls out of the outlanes. I find my game much more fun with it really steep.

Phish,

Please post some pics of your adjustable outlanes. Mine only has one setting and I've never seen one that's any different. I'm thinking someone drilled your playfield.

For reference, there are some good pics on the IPDB (not my game) with plastics in the outlane area removed...and no extra (or slotted) holes to adjust anything. I'd really like to see how yours differs.

Thanks!

#76 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Learning how to play with lightning flippers gives a player perspective. When you play with the same size flippers for years and years and years, you have nothing to compare it to. Lightning flippers changes everything you know. They force you to change how you play. After you learn them, you develop a basic strategy for games with them (don't try to control too much) and without (control is more doable).

Learning strategies for all the different games out there is impossible. Way too many. But a regular player should know the difference between a lightning flipper game and a regular game when he steps up to one. How you approach each one is different. Sometimes you run into a non-lighting flipper game with lightning flippers. Surprise!

#77 12 years ago
Quoted from btrip:

I watched Bowen do the tutorial on the papa.org site...

Shoot left ramp, shoot left ramp, shoot left ramp, shoot left ramp, shoot left ramp............. oh ok I shot it enough now I get to do something.

If you don't shoot the right ramp, you'll never start coffin. d:^)

Yet another cool thing about Drac. You can't just keep shooting the left ramp. After a few loops, the game stops the ball for one thing or another. Just when you get your rhythm going, STOP! This does discourage only going for loop champion, which can be fun at home.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

Mine is at 7+ degrees and has 11629 coils. Now that you mention it though, I'll probably try some more.

The only time I like to cradle a ball(s) on Drac is on the left flipper during castle MB. That doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like.

#78 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Lightning flippers are part of the BSD myth so I will leave them on no matter how painful!
I left them on my FT as well....

Left them on both those machines also

#79 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

ine is at 7+ degrees and has 11629 coils. Now that you mention it though, I'll probably try some more.

My BSD has 15411 Flipper coil's installed . That's what the Manuel say's to use also . My TZ has 15411 also ... What's the Diff- between 11629 and 15411 ?

#80 12 years ago

Blue, yellow and red label WMS coils each have different numbers of windings. Less windings is more powerful.
IFrom what I have read the ranking from strongest to weakest is: FL-11629, FL-15411, and FL-11630.

#81 12 years ago

Some of you guys need to go back to your high school physics class

The length of the bat most certainly changes the force delivered upon the ball. Assuming the coil has the ability to swing the longer moment with no rotational velocity change due to the increase in length of the flipper (almost assuredly it does), the tangential speed at the tip of the 1/8" bat is greater than the speed at the tip of the shorter bat. Greater speed, greater acceleration. Force = mass * acceleration....The mass of an 1/8" bat is greater, the acceleration at the tip is greater, therefore the Force to the ball is greater.

Bottom line, tho, who gives a rat's ass...Play it the way it makes it fun for YOU and don't worry about anyone else

#82 12 years ago

I did own BSD and was thinking about putting in FL11630s instead of the factory FL15411s but then that would have made it easier. I believe they use 11630s in MM due to shots like the right ramp being so high and long.

Regardless of the difficulty of shots on BSD, I really miss games with the adrenaline of the sound and visuals of the jackpots in this game. Deadset this would have to have the best animations and sound for a Jackpot out there. Why dont they do this anymore??

#83 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Assuming the coil has the ability to swing the longer moment with no rotational velocity change due to the increase in length of the flipper

I believe this was the point in contention...

#84 12 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

I did own BSD and was thinking about putting in FL11630s instead of the factory FL15411s but then that would have made it easier. I believe they use 11630s in MM due to shots like the right ramp being so high and long.
Regardless of the difficulty of shots on BSD, I really miss games with the adrenaline of the sound and visuals of the jackpots in this game. Deadset this would have to have the best animations and sound for a Jackpot out there. Why dont they do this anymore??

Call outs are so easy to do as well. Have not heard on BSD yet but love jackpot call out on AFM for example.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-somewhat-disappointed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.