Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0.jpg
BSD.JPG
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

I picked up a BSD last week for a good deal. Tore it down, full LED's and shop job. Fired her up today and played for the better part of a few hours and am finding that it is not as fun as I remember it being at a friends house a few years ago. First, its a drain monster(which I believe many Barry Oursler games are.) And if you miss the left ramp and it comes back down forget it. I also know that it sometimes takes time to really love a pin. I am already thinking this might be trade bait for another pin. Anyone else feel this way about BSD when they first got it?

#2 12 years ago

I felt that too much of the PF was obscured. I love the theme and gimmicks but was frustrated by the game as a whole.

#3 12 years ago

BSD is an ass kicker. No two ways about it. It punishes you, every chance it gets.

That said, I want one.

#4 12 years ago

BSD is much like any game known for drains. You will spend hours having a bad game and then out of nowhere you get that one miracle ball that makes you feel like you are ontop of the world.

#5 12 years ago

The only disappointment I have in BSD is that I can't find one for sale.
Game is badass, enough said.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

then out of nowhere you get that one miracle ball that makes you feel like you are ontop of the world.

Great description

#7 12 years ago

One thing I have to say about this game is it does keep me coming back for more. I have a hard time walking away. But, still for some reason I can't quite get into it. I must be a nut.! lol

#8 12 years ago

Only shoot for the center targets with the right flipper, and even then be ready for saving a SDTM drain. Make sure the flippers are nice and strong and the PF is clean, the left ramp should be easy to make.

#9 12 years ago

Count, if you didn't already have BSD I'd offer it up to you for your DH. that was the next game on my list along with the Flintstones.

#10 12 years ago

Never shoot the center or side targets except during a multi. This is especially a problem with "on the fly" players. Drop catches, bounce passes, live catches - get control of the ball anyway you can.

If it's kicking your ass, you might try regular sized flippers.

With the lightning flips, you really need to be able to bounce pass and drop catch or BSD is super-duper frustrating. Before I knew how to do those techniques I think my highest score was around 350M with lightning flips, and that was after well over 100 games.

The way a lot of pros play is 2 left ramps, then start coffin multi, then 3rd left ramp to start bats, then two more to light mist and stack. At that point you should random hit enough standups to get your castle locks. I just tie up castle balls with the ramps and go for castle jackpots at that point. Coffin or right orbit into bumpers is another way to tie up a ball but sometimes gets you unlucky drains.

A lot of players also ignore the skill shot. Don't. It advances your video mode and coffin ramps.

#11 12 years ago

I love how challenging the game is. It makes you plan your shots, and execute. True you won't spend hours playing this. It's certainly not a LOTR where you are wishing you could pause and finish later.

#12 12 years ago

I agree with changing the flipper bats. Make sure you rebuild the flippers so they're strong and grab some blood red full sized flipper bats to replace those lightning flippers.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Never shoot the center or side targets except during a multi.

Exactly right. Hitting them intentionally is just asking for trouble.

Also, as others have suggested, if it is kicking your ass too hard, put on the regular sized flippers if you haven't already.

It is a good sign that it keeps you coming back for more. But if you aren't having at least 1 really good game once in awhile, it will become tiresome and frustrating very quickly.

#14 12 years ago

I really like it myself once I played it a few time I was hooked. I was trying to pick one up but was having no luck. So I found a Doctor Who instead, another Oursler title, which can also be a drainer with those lightning flippers especially. I really like the Shadow too. I guess I just like that type of game, like Dung said

Quoted from dung:You will spend hours having a bad game and then out of nowhere you get that one miracle ball that makes you feel like you are ontop of the world.

#15 12 years ago

I'll take it off your hands...no need to be so disappointed...

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

A lot of players also ignore the skill shot. Don't. It advances your video mode and coffin ramps.

Huh? Never heard that before. Got any more details?

For a beginner, stick with trying to stack 2 multiballs. Bring mist along with coffin. Once you have 2 balls locked for coffin, start mist, then shoot the third coffin lock to stack the 2. Once you get more time on the game, you can go for for the triple stack. For STDM rejects from the left ramp, make sure you're level side to side and try adjusting the pitch. On my game, steeper is better. You won't eliminate the SDTM's completely, but it may help. My game came with upgraded flipper coils (11629's) and lightning flippers. I recommend upgrading the coils rather than removing the lightning flipper bats.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

jonnyo said:A lot of players also ignore the skill shot. Don't. It advances your video mode and coffin ramps.
Huh? Never heard that before. Got any more details?
For a beginner, stick with trying to stack 2 multiballs. Bring mist along with coffin. Once you have 2 balls locked for coffin, start mist, then shoot the third coffin lock to stack the 2. Once you get more time on the game, you can go for for the triple stack. For STDM rejects from the left ramp, make sure you're level side to side and try adjusting the pitch. On my game, steeper is better. You won't eliminate the SDTM's completely, but it may help. My game came with upgraded flipper coils (11629's) and lightning flippers. I recommend upgrading the coils rather than removing the lightning flipper bats.

It could depend on what roms, but that's the way tj's plays at vitus. I didn't realize it until recently.

http://pinball.org/rules/dracula.html

"The Skill Shot is purely a matter of timing. The display will show a three-faced gargoyle, with each face flashing in turn. When the ball hits the Drop Target after being launched, the Skill Shot award depends on the face which is lit. The left face awards 100K, and the right face awards 500K. The center face awards 1M the first time, increasing by 1M each subsequent time to a maximum of 5M. The center face also spots a V-I-D-E-O letter (see Video Mode) and advances the Coffin Ramp if the Coffin is not already open. After a successful Skill Shot, subsequent Skill Shots are slightly faster. The game favours the center face slightly, awarding it if the face has just changed to 100K or was just about to change from 500K."

#18 12 years ago

Sounds like the OP is more of a TOM kind of guy, not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL

It doesn't need upgraded flipper coils unless you want to break the plastic over the center standups
all the time.

It's a challenging game ala IM. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea.
Another game that kicks my butt before I get anywhere
close to wizard mode 99% of the time is JD. Except BSD doesn't have a wizard mode.
In my 8 game collection (plus TOM on loan) I like BSD's unique ruleset and style of play. I tire of long playing games and when you play to win the only way to shorter games is to throw them. Not with BSD.

#19 12 years ago

Drain monsters like BSD are why we need more than 1 pin in our collections

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

The center face also spots a V-I-D-E-O letter (see Video Mode) and advances the Coffin Ramp if the Coffin is not already open.

Okay. 'Advances your video mode' made it sound like you played a later level of the video mode if you made the skill shot. Remarkably, Drac only has one revision of software. Mine is still screwed down tight (hard as hell) from CAX. Agree you shouldn't ignore the skill shot. That would be throwing away easy points.

Quoted from wbradley:

It doesn't need upgraded flipper coils unless you want to break the plastic over the center standups all the time.

That plastic should have a protector no matter what coils you have in the game. The design of it and where it sits on the playfield makes it an easy target for first broken plastic. If the choice is bigger flipper bats or bigger coils, I'd go with the bigger coils. Getting used to lightning flippers is something every player should do. They'll make you a better player (and so will BSD).

#21 12 years ago

I have more problems with the outlane drains than sdtm drains. Most of the time balls coming down the middle are a result of me doing something stupid, flailing into castle lock targets, not the lightning flippers.

#22 12 years ago

BSD kicks ass!! yeah its hard and fast but boy is it rewarding when you have 2-3 multi's going,shots of Drac being nailed with a stake to the heart and the screaming concubine jackpots whaling out..absolutely epic..front runner for best sounding jackpots in the pinball world me thinks!

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I picked up a BSD last week for a good deal. Tore it down, full LED's and shop job. Fired her up today and played for the better part of a few hours and am finding that it is not as fun as I remember it being at a friends house a few years ago. First, its a drain monster(which I believe many Barry Oursler games are.) And if you miss the left ramp and it comes back down forget it. I also know that it sometimes takes time to really love a pin. I am already thinking this might be trade bait for another pin. Anyone else feel this way about BSD when they first got it?

I also used to own BSD (my first DMD pin) and sold it years ago and have been looking for a really nice one since. I recently purchased one that is nearly perfect. It is very tough but is so rewarding when you have a great game. I was tempted to change the lightning flipper bats at first as others have suggested but am glad I haven't. Like any game you get better at is as you play and you figure out how to score big points. I honestly love this machine more than anything else I have had and I've had just about everything. The theme and sounds are so good but I know that is a matter of opinion. I installed lots of LED's and the decals from pinballdecals.com and plan on getting the LED DMD panel kit from Cointaker. I had my best game today where I scored 1,255,000,000. Most of the points were scored on just one good ball. I have had other games that I thought I would never sell and did but I don't see myself selling this one. Give it a little more time Chad and I think you will begin to appreciate it.

#24 12 years ago

I Personally Feel you Should've played Yr BSD for 2 more Mth's B-4 starting this (Somewhat Dissapointed )
Thread.. Bram Stoker's Kick's my AZZ Every time I play it. That's Why I Love it !! Once in a While I Will have a Good Game and It's Awesome !!! I Can't seem to beat Shanetastic's Grand Champ score , and he's the Loop Champ also , ( Since Jan 1st @ 1:30am ) Keep play-n BSD , I Hope you will Give it More Respect as you Play and Understand it.. " Love Never Dies "

BSD.JPGBSD.JPG

#25 12 years ago

Nope, its an awesome game period. Not deep, but very challenging.

If you miss the left ramp part way up, just nudge it on the way down, that will save it 90% of the time or more...

#26 12 years ago

I love games that reward you with big score when you complete the games most difficult task, which is why I want a BSD! I got cash burning a hole in my pocket and an EATPM ready for trading but I cant find one of these or I miss out opportunities to get one

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

jonnyo said:The center face also spots a V-I-D-E-O letter (see Video Mode) and advances the Coffin Ramp if the Coffin is not already open.
Okay. 'Advances your video mode' made it sound like you played a later level of the video mode if you made the skill shot. Remarkably, Drac only has one revision of software. Mine is still screwed down tight (hard as hell) from CAX. Agree you shouldn't ignore the skill shot. That would be throwing away easy points.

Yes, it advances progress, not the levels. It awards you the next shot toward getting video mode, doesn't bump you to level 2 or 3. It also advances coffin ramp toward opening the lock shot, but doesn't award locks if the lock is already open.

I played the one at PPM tonight (the one Neil donated to PPM). One thing I noticed is if the upper drop target is flaky (as it is there) it makes a HUGE difference. The Bats stack with coffin is much harder. Never would have noticed if I hadn't played the one at Vitus, which is very consistent on the skill shot.

#28 12 years ago

BSD is a pin for skilled players. Give it time and you'll get used to it.

#29 12 years ago

BSD is an awesome game. Prob the best multiball game ever made. The thing is if you cant make the left ramp, then there is no game... The right ramp is alittle easier but its all about making the ramps... Just make sure that your flipper angles are set up well and that they are working perfectly..

#30 12 years ago

BSD is supposed to kick your ass. It will make you a better player. It's my favorite "one more time" game. Don't put regular flips on it... makes it too easy and not nearly as satisfying when you finally have a nirvana game.

-Craig

#31 12 years ago

Looking forward to the BSD fix - get mine next week

#32 12 years ago

I love BSD. However, I can fully understand why someone wouldn't. It kicks your ass day in and day out.

I think you aren't liking BSD because of your lineup. I own / owned 3 of your 4 games and you are leaning toward games with shallow rules. BSD, W?D and Congo are all on the shallow side. Not sure about NGG, but BSD's lack of rules are a lot more forgiving when you have a more well-rounded collection.

Also, at least when I say I love BSD and it's awesome, it's all in the context of a $1,500 game. Nobody (almost) is going to choose it over WH20 or SM for the same price.

#33 12 years ago

I played BSD for the first time just a few weeks ago, and I liked it A LOT more than I thought I would. It kicked my ass for the most part, but I had a couple really good runs that got me addicted. Now, I'm adding one to my collection.

#34 12 years ago

I removed the larger coils and went back to lightning flippers. The balls kept flying off the rails. They still do sometimes. It is hard game and it has really grown on me. I didn't love it at first either.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

One thing I have to say about this game is it does keep me coming back for more. I have a hard time walking away. But, still for some reason I can't quite get into it. I must be a nut.! lol

Have you been able to get all three multiballs going simultaneously? Have you had a game where you collected the castle jackpot and coffin jackpot? If not, you haven't gotten a proper "fix" yet. I would also recommend switching to regular flips before getting rid of the game. I haven't resorted to that as I am fairly happy with my scores with the lightning flips.

#37 12 years ago

Lightening Flippers, No extra balls, tournament mode - thats how we play BSD... this will make you a better player - don't blame the machine..

#38 12 years ago

Just got mine 2 weeks ago
Have the lightning flippers and I don't find it as difficult as people say it is
But it is extremely fun! Just love it

#39 12 years ago

It's definitely a tough game for some people to get into. It's just such a merciless drain monster 95% of the time, but it keeps me coming back. I've had mine for 7 years and I'm still not bored yet!

I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it after all these years, and I've put up many an impressive score, but this game just knows how to keep you humble. I put about 20 or so games on it this weekend, and I got my ass handed to me on every single game.

Like some others have said, if you do keep it, leave the lightning flips on. It definitely makes you a better player, and besides, longer flippers aren't going to help with the real issue on this machine; those brutal outlanes!

#40 12 years ago

I shot this video a few day's ago , I wasn't gonna Post it, but it Show's how Terrible a Single game can be, but Then out of the Blue ( sometimes ) I Kick BSD 's Azz !!!!!!!!

I Want a 1080p HD /60 camera like Gizmonic has !!!! Very Sooon ,,,,,,,

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Like some others have said, if you do keep it, leave the lightning flips on. It definitely makes you a better player, and besides, longer flippers aren't going to help with the real issue on this machine; those brutal outlanes!

I know a lot of people have this opinion, but I wonder how valid it is myself.

How does playing with lightning flippers instead of normal flippers make you a better player on other pins if those pins don't also use lightning flippers?

Also, as far as regular flippers not helping with the real issue...the brutal outlanes...I disagree. If regular flippers mean that you will make more of your shots, you will have fewer balls heading towards those brutal outlanes to begin with.

#42 12 years ago

What I (and I'm assuming others) mean by the shorter flipper bats making you a better player, is that it forces you to learn to nudge the machine. If your bat is shorter and the ball is going to miss the end of it....you're going to learn to nudge a lot, and quickly.

The same goes for the outlanes. I know what you're saying about longer bats possibly making nice clean shots more often, but no matter what, the geometry of the layout is always going to force some nasty drains, and I think this machine does that a lot more than many others. Again, nudging is going to help a lot here too....

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How does playing with lightning flippers instead of normal flippers make you a better player on other pins if those pins don't also use lightning flippers?

Because it teaches flipper control. More accurately, it teaches you how to play with very little flipper control. That tiny 1/8" missing from each flipper makes the ball way harder to control. If you're doing bounce passes, post passes and cradling with normal flippers, everything changes when you get lightning flippers on Drac. Getting a ball under control with lightning flippers is much more difficult. A control player will be taken aback when they play their first lightning flipper game. It takes time to get used to them.

The other reason it helps a player is because Drac doesn't allow post passes. Because of where the lower sling posts are located, it's not possible. So even if you manage to get control of the ball with the shrimpy flippers, you can't pass it over to the other side. These two things combined discourage controlled play. If you want to score big on Drac, you need to keep things moving. Drac, with it's short flippers, teaches a player how to play on the fly. Whether he likes it or not.

The other very cool thing about Drac is how it makes you go for it all. Once you get a feel for it, stacking any less than 3 multiballs is bad. Amazingly, with only the initial release of the software, they pretty much nailed it. The scoring is fairly well balanced and encourages stacking in a big way. If you want crack 1B, you're going to need at least one triple stack.

For those having trouble with the outlanes, adjust them. Both sides have 3 settings. On my game, the left side is in the middle and the right side is all the way open. Making your game steeper can also help keep balls out of the outlanes. I find my game much more fun with it really steep.

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

That tiny 1/8" missing from each flipper makes the ball way harder to control.

So, from what I'm hearing, lightening flippers (which I guess are the ones with a lightening bolt embossed on the top) are 1/8" shorter than 'regular' 3" flippers... I never even knew that!! Doh! You learn something every day!! Thank for the en-lighten(ing-flippers-)ment!

#45 12 years ago

At the risk of an obvious question, what is so great about stacking 3 multiballs? Does one start and when that finishes the next one start? How do you stack them?

My BSD arrives soon but probably be a while before I get to do this!!

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

At the risk of an obvious question, what is so great about stacking 3 multiballs? Does one start and when that finishes the next one start? How do you stack them?
My BSD arrives soon but probably be a while before I get to do this!!

you stack them so you run them all at the same time. the points are 1x for one multi, 2x for two and 3x for three. some of the jackpots are huge (hundreds of millions), so not having three running at once significantly reduces your scoring. You stack them by advancing them all as far as possible without starting them.

watch this if you don't like to figure things out for yourself:

http://papa.org/blog/2011/09/love-never-dies/

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

There are three different multiball modes and they are started three different ways, stack them by starting one, then the next while still in multiball from the first, etc... They run at the same time with 3x scoring. 30 mil per shot instead of 10 mil per shot.

Fun game.

#48 12 years ago

30 Million!!!!!!!!

Robert

#49 12 years ago

Thanks!

Can't wait

Think this could be a great bang for buck purchase......when I buy pins like these, it stops me paying crazy money for the latest Stern!

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The other reason it helps a player is because Drac doesn't allow post passes. Because of where the lower sling posts are located, it's not possible. So even if you manage to get control of the ball with the shrimpy flippers, you can't pass it over to the other side. These two things combined discourage controlled play. If you want to score big on Drac, you need to keep things moving. Drac, with it's short flippers, teaches a player how to play on the fly. Whether he likes it or not.

I agree with what you are saying in terms of how BSD plays and what it forces you to do, but I don't understand how any of this makes you a better player on other pins by using the lightning flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-somewhat-disappointed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.