Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230224_205015 (resized).jpg
    20230224_204059 (resized).jpg
    20230224_203158 (resized).jpg
    20230224_203046 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2264 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2265 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2262 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2263 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20201004_010312252 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9917 (resized).jpg
    15A56422-A676-4415-8CFE-ACFAB73F6AC9 (resized).jpeg
    A3694177-6FB8-4CF3-9E04-749254D1BA34 (resized).jpeg
    20200419_173740 (resized).jpg
    5V_fuses (resized).jpg
    20200401_180943 (resized).jpg
    20200401_173201 (resized).jpg
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Some time ago I heard about the design problem in a large number of Williams games. The problem is about missing the fuses in the 18V (controlled lamps) and 34V (solenoids) circuits before the bridge rectifiers. Because of the missing fuses things can go very wrong with these games. When a short occurs in a bridge rectifier there is a possibility of burning wires from the transformer to the bridge rectifiers. In worst case scenario even the transformer goes up in smoke. In the best case the main fuse blows and turns the machine off. To remedy this problem simply placing fuses in the circuit before the bridge rectifiers is advised. A very doable solution. Another problem could be the very large capacitor in the 18V circuit. The life expectancy of 10 to 15 years is already long past for all machines. Now isn’t that much of a problem for the controlled lamps, but the electronics might object. When your controlled lamps burn less bright there might also be a problem with the bridge rectifier. All these problems can be fixed by using my brand new Bridge Board.
    Brug Bord 01 klein.jpgBrug Bord 01 klein.jpg
    On this new board are the bridge rectifiers, capacitor replacements and the newly added fuses. These components can continue to serve you for another 10 to 15 years and replacements are easily available. Simple screw connections, no soldering skills needed. The bridge rectifiers are on the back side of the board and are also used for mounting the board in the back box. This way the bridge rectifiers have the best cooling thru the metal back plate in the back box of the machine. If you want you can also mount the bridge rectifiers on the front of the board, but an extra cooling body is advised and the use of mounting spacers. Additionally this new board also has 2 leds for checking if the exit power is present.
    Brug Bord 02 klein.jpgBrug Bord 02 klein.jpg
    You can use this board in ALL games from Williams System 3 up to System 11A. Data East used a lot of technology from Williams. So you can also use this new Bridge Board for Data East games as well. Even the first 4 games from Sega too.

I do have to mention that Williams solved this fuse problem from System 11B. From this series Williams used an Aux. Power board which has the fuses added. Data East solved this missing fuse problem from their 3rd game (Time Machine).

Despite of the solved problem in Data East games, you can still use the new Bridge Board to replace the large expensive capacitor. The big advantage is that you also replace the old bridge rectifiers and the fuse holders all with one new board.

The price for this Bridge Board would be 30 euro ($41) plus shipping. Shipping to countries within the EU would be 15 euro ($20). Shipping to the USA would be 25 euro ($35). Combined shipping is advised to keep the shipping costs low. If you have any questions about this board or its connections, please send e-mail me at inkochnito @ kpnplanet . nl or inkochnito @ gmail . com.
    Brug Bord 04 klein.jpgBrug Bord 04 klein.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Here are a few images of some games and the situation in which you can use the Bridge Board.
    Please take notice of the components placed in the red circle.
    BB-3.jpgBB-3.jpg

BB-6.jpgBB-6.jpg

BB-8.jpgBB-8.jpg
    In Data East Guns n' Roses.
    BB_DE_GNR.jpgBB_DE_GNR.jpg
    Data East Torpedo Alley
    BB_DE_Torpedo.jpgBB_DE_Torpedo.jpg
    Sega Maverick, please notice the second large capacitor for the large DMD.
    This one can also be replaced with a Bridge Board.
    So for Sega you would need two boards.
    BB_Sega_Mav.jpgBB_Sega_Mav.jpg

#4 10 years ago

+1 very nice indeed

#7 10 years ago

As we speak I am working out an agreement with Todd from Big Daddy's Enterprises.
    He is willing to be distributor for the USA.
    More to come.....

#8 10 years ago

Todd is a great guy, deal with confidence.

#9 10 years ago

This looks cool. Can you post a pic installed?

#10 10 years ago

Great idea on having a US distributor

#11 10 years ago

Sure, this is the prototype board in my F-14 Tomcat.
    I will take some more shots when I do my Laser Cue and Data East Checkpoint.
    Tomcat_Proto_1.jpgTomcat_Proto_1.jpg
    Tomcat_Proto_2.jpgTomcat_Proto_2.jpg
    Tomcat_Proto_3.jpgTomcat_Proto_3.jpg

#12 10 years ago

I'll order 2 of these when Big Daddy starts selling them. Thanks for making these.

#13 10 years ago

Really great idea! Seems like a well done, well thought out product.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#14 10 years ago

I've updated my website with step by step instructions.
    I did both my Laser Cue and Checkpoint.
    Just take a look on my website and click on de Bridge Board.

10 boards are on their way to Big Daddy's Enterprises.

Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl

2 weeks later
    #15 10 years ago

The Bridge Board is now available at Big Daddy's Enterprises!
    For only $49 each.
    Please go and order a Bridge Board from Todd, great guy!
    http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

#16 10 years ago

Great solution for these older Williams games. I've seen melted wires between the transformer and power supply and I definitely don't want that to happen to any of my machines.

#18 10 years ago

Just bought 2. After all the work I've put into my Space Shuttle (and soon PinBot) this is a small amount to pay for the security.

#19 10 years ago

Received and installed in my space shuttle. Works like a charm.

Installation tips:
    Tighten up the connectors real good,
    don't forget the black wire clipped from the capacitor,
    and you'll need the instructions here: http://home.kpn.nl/p.koch3/laser_cue.htm and the pdf here: http://home.kpn.nl/p.koch3/Inkochnito_Bridge_Board.pdf.

The pdf shows you the wire to connector mapping.

I was able to install mine through the original rectifier holes. The new board lined up perfectly.

#20 10 years ago

Image please!

#21 10 years ago

Here's a pic of the board in place. It's really close to the side but that's with the original mounting holesWP_20140420_08_37_42_Pro.jpgWP_20140420_08_37_42_Pro.jpg

Heres the before picWP_20140420_08_05_07_Pro.jpgWP_20140420_08_05_07_Pro.jpg

#22 10 years ago

I would have turned the board one quarter counter clockwise.
    Then the wires wouldn't be pressed against the side of the cabinet.
    And you can see the controll LED's more easely.
    Okee, you would need to drill 2 new holes, but it would be a better fit of the board.

Nice job!

#23 10 years ago

Yeah, I'll do that. I'll need to remove the original mounts and get the correct length metal screws. I'll feel better when the rectifiers are flush to the metal.

It's hard to see but there's .25 inch space between the wires at the side of the box. It's not as tight is it looks.

2 months later
    #24 9 years ago

The next batch is on its way to Big Daddy's Enterprises.
    For only $49 each.

European customers can order directly with me.
    I'm selling the boards for 30 euro plus shipping (approx.13 euro within the euro zone).
    37 euro binnen Nederland inclusief verzending.

Please protect your game before it goes up in smoke!

www.inkochnito.nl
    Click on the Bridge Board image for more info.

#25 9 years ago

Very nice job

1 month later
    #26 9 years ago

Please tell your friends to add this board to your game.
    It make things a lot safer.

#27 9 years ago

I've got one in my data east Laser War. Great product.

4 months later
    #28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

The next batch is on its way to Big Daddy's Enterprises.
    For only $49 each.
    European customers can order directly with me.
    I'm selling the boards for 30 euro plus shipping (approx.13 euro within the euro zone).
    37 euro binnen Nederland inclusief verzending.
    Please protect your game before it goes up in smoke!
    http://www.inkochnito.nl
    Click on the Bridge Board image for more info.

Bridge Boards are still available....

2 weeks later
    #29 9 years ago

I just fitted one of Peter's boards in my F14. It mounts just fine to the positions where the original bridge rectifiers were. The board overlaps *very* slightly with the flipper power board, but as it raised up quite high they're well clear of each other. Works a treat, cool way to replace the old bridges and capacitor and get the much needed 2 fuses done (I still need to tidy up the cabling a little).

bb.jpgbb.jpg

2 months later
    #30 9 years ago

Big Daddy has just received a next batch of boards.
    Get them at http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/
    Any questions, just ask.

Peter

#31 9 years ago

I put one in my High Speed, fit like a glove and only took 10 minutes

IMG_20150221_084735.jpgIMG_20150221_084735.jpg
    #32 9 years ago

Buying some from Big Daddy today most likely. Got an F-14 and a millionaire I would like to fix.

Everyone seems to like the bridge boards so hopefully they work well for me too!

2 months later
    #33 9 years ago

I ordered one of these from Big Daddy. Is it recommended to put thermal compound between the bridges and the sheetmetal in the back box? It looks like there was some used on the original BRs.

#34 9 years ago

I did not. My games spend only a fraction of the time on so I wasn't worried about it.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

I ordered one of these from Big Daddy. Is it recommended to put thermal compound between the bridges and the sheetmetal in the back box? It looks like there was some used on the original BRs.

I isn't really nessesary, but it wouldn't hurt.
    My recommendation would be, if in the original situation compound has been used, use it again.
    But then again, it would not hurt to use it anyway.

Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl

#36 8 years ago

A Pin*Bot came in last month with its controlled illumination rectifier shorted. Pictures below tell you why to buy Peter's bridgeboard or at least add 2 fuses to the rectifiers in your early Williams game.......

IMG_3041.jpgIMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3042.jpgIMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3044.jpgIMG_3044.jpg

/\/\arco

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

A Pin*Bot came in last month with its controlled illumination rectifier shorted. Pictures below tell you why to buy Peter's bridgeboard or at least add 2 fuses to the rectifiers in your early Williams game

Yikes!

#38 8 years ago

It is the 2nd time I had a repair like this. The first one was also a Pin*Bot, a few years ago. In both cases the line fuse was stil intact....... Your house can burn down with accidents like this

/\/\arco

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

It is the 2nd time I had a repair like this. The first one was also a Pin*Bot, a few years ago. In both cases the line fuse was stil intact....... Your house can burn down with accidents like this
    /\/\arco

Does this still happen with all the correct fuses in the game (but without the bridges fused)? Just curious. I'd imagine the answer is yes

#40 8 years ago

Good question! Primary there was a 5A SB fuse installed in this (European 230VAC) game. According to the manual it should be a 4A SB. Still, secundary a current in excess of 50A in the 18VAC line can flow before the primary 4A line fuse trips..... And if someone replaced the primary line fuse for a 10A SB .......

#41 8 years ago

Thanks for the images Marco.
    I was looking for images to clearify my making the board.
    Really, an image says more than a thousand words...
    Can I use these images on my Bridge Board website?

Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl

#42 8 years ago

You are welcome Peter. Important to warn people about a potential danger in their game(s). No problem to use the images. I posted some more at pinside from the earlier incident, those I also posted at the Dutch NFV-forum a few years ago.

/\/\arco

3 months later
    #43 8 years ago

I just installed the bridge board in my Pinbot and it is awesome, very easy to install, going to order another one for my space shuttle, great product, thanks Peter!

2 years later
    #44 6 years ago

It been a long time now.
    Time to update this posting a bit.

I discovered there are some warnings due to Data East games.
    In some Data East games a motor is used.
    This motor runs on the 26Vac power taken from the bridge rectifier for the coils (white-red wires).
    Usually these extra two wires are connected to a 2-pin connector.
    When you remove the unneeded fuses for the bridge rectifiers, this motor will be left unfused.
    I recommend to reuse one fuse holder for the motor connector.
    Use a 2.5 Amp. fuse for the motor.
    It depends a bit on the type of motor used.

The following games use extra motors:
    Batman (Batbar motor),
    Jurassic Park (T-Rex motor),
    Maverick (Paddle Wheel motor),
    Phantom of the Opera (Organ motor),
    Rocky & Bullwinkle (Saw motor),
    Star Trek 25th anniversary (Swinging Target & Transporter Special effect motor),
    Star Wars (Death Star, R2D2, Bar Target motor),
    Tales from the Crypt (up/down motor),
    The Who’s Tommy (The Mirror motor).

Maybe someone with any of these games can tune in and measure the current each game motor is using.
    Then we can put the right fuse value with each game.

The connected Bridge Board should look like this:

Data_East_aansluitingen (resized).jpgData_East_aansluitingen (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #45 6 years ago

WOW, just found out about this board. This is a must have for the older Williams.

1 month later
    #46 5 years ago

Does anyone sell these things? Inkochnito your website has instructions, but no sales links .

#48 5 years ago

Still in stock at Big Daddy. Just put one of these in my Time Fantasy

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

#49 5 years ago

I will contact Marco and ask why he didn't asked me to send him a shipment...
    If you want to buy 10 (or more) board, send me an email and we will work something out.

Peter

#50 5 years ago

Highly reccomend this board for older games.
    Have one in my Fire! Champagne.
    Brings piece of mind to old design.

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bridge-board-available-for-williams-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.