hramp.png
rea3.png
rea.png
rea2.png
pfharness.png
headlights.png
lights.png
allamps.png
There are 1,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 25.
#601 10 years ago

The ramps are thicker than the originals yes, but i can not find any other indications they are pinball inc ramps. However, they probably are since sold by marco and thicker. Good to have new ones!

#602 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRingMaster:

The ramps are thicker than the originals yes, but i can not find any other indications they are pinball inc ramps. However, they probably are since sold by marco and thicker. Good to have new ones!

Yeah - You got the good stuff! I live near Pinball Inc. and when new ramps are coming out, James seeks out a local with a game to test them on. The bad part is, the game might be down for a few weeks, the good part is, you get a free set of ramps. Mine were the first and free set, but it wasn't my game at the time. Still, I don't have to buy them!

#603 10 years ago

You are Lucky! =)

Its very Nice that people put so much effort into things like new ramps. What would we do without them? Feels a bit too messy and expensive to try to make your own ramps so it's very good that it's beeing done by the enthusiastic pros!

1 week later
#604 10 years ago

Hi again! Its been a while since any updates, lots of things going on so i have not had so much spare time.

Anyways, here are some pics of the parts for the new cab. Will be interesting to see if it fits but it looks promising! A few grades and things but it will be easy to sand and file to perfection.
Note: the top left pic is distorted because of the camera lens, its much straighter than that

newparts.jpgnewparts.jpg

#605 10 years ago

This was the most fun thing yet Adding a new warning label for the backglass light board. What made it extra nice was I had the label printed at the local print shop. Thanks to "Inkochnito" who made this one as a pdf!

There are "official" repros available to buy at different places too but they were out of stock when i tried so I thought it would be nice to test the method of making your own. Now I now that if something is missing its possible to get a neat result with some image editing software and a decent print shop. Otherwise I think its important to support our pinball guys and gals who do repros on a professional level.

Anyway, here are the pics:

caution1.jpgcaution1.jpg

caution2.jpgcaution2.jpg

#606 10 years ago

This was the most fun thing yet Adding a new warning label for the backglass light board. What made it extra nice was I had the label printed at the local print shop. Thanks to "Inkochnito" who made this one as a pdf!

caution1.jpg 55 KB

caution2.jpg 71 KB

Wierd. I seemed to enjoy that as well. Mine was missing before my restore.

#607 10 years ago

Wasnt you talking about HS being your next restoration after BOP too? I guess we have some things in common

I also test printed the FBI warning label and some other things like "inspected by", install X balls and so on. I have even made (well not finished quite yet) my own label that tells the machine number. That too will be nice to add later on.

machine.jpgmachine.jpg

One thing I have not done yet is the blue/white serial number sticker that can be found inside the cab... will take some time but i will try to make one.

#608 10 years ago

Yes. That was me. I actually got the HS restored and ended up selling it a couple months ago. It turned out pretty nice. My cabinet was pretty nice, so it was mostly a playfield restore.

Is this the sticker you are trying to repro? I was able to clean this picture up, straighten it up in Photoshop, and use it. I just can't find the final result here at work.

IMG_20131222_225658_183.jpgIMG_20131222_225658_183.jpg

#609 10 years ago

Yep thats the one! I will try to scan mine since the cabinet is in parts and as you did fix it in photoshop a bit. A nice thing would be to make a template from it so that its possible to add different numbers to it when needed.

This week-end I will test assemble the new cab and make sure the siderails and everything fit. I think it might be slightly off (flipper button hole and hole for side rail bolt in the front), like a couple of millimeters but shouldnt be a big deal. All other holes seem to have been spot on.

After that I will prep the parts, sanding and such and then I will paint them before putting the beauty back together. One thing I have not decided yet though is if I should paint the interior completely black or leave the bottom bare wood (with some clear on it). Some say its better to keep it unpainted because it will be brighter inside if you work on things or open the coin door. And I also think that dust will make it look less appealing if its all black... we will see!

#610 10 years ago

If it were me, and the bottom was already clean bare wood, I would leave it bare wood with some clear. I think it makes it look so much better. I painted mine because it was so badly discolored and like you said, black shows every speck of dirt that falls in there. If you look at the HEP restores they are almost all bare wood and it makes the machine look like it is brand new.

#611 10 years ago

Yes I think it would be looking great with bare wood. It allready has the coating on it so it would mean more sanding too. By the way we decided to make the bottom hard wood instead of the original "masonit" style that are original and that sucked up moisture and bent like crazy on some machines. It will add some weight but will probably benefit in other areas such as stability and durability. I'll post pictures documenting the testing of the parts when ive messed around a bit.

Same time, same channel next week! =)

#612 10 years ago

Yep thats the one! I will try to scan mine since the cabinet is in parts and as you did fix it in photoshop a bit. A nice thing would be to make a template from it so that its possible to add different numbers to it when needed.
This week-end I will test assemble the new cab and make sure the siderails and everything fit. I think it might be slightly off (flipper button hole and hole for side rail bolt in the front), like a couple of millimeters but shouldnt be a big deal. All other holes seem to have been spot on.
After that I will prep the parts, sanding and such and then I will paint them before putting the beauty back together. One thing I have not decided yet though is if I should paint the interior completely black or leave the bottom bare wood (with some clear on it). Some say its better to keep it unpainted because it will be brighter inside if you work on things or open the coin door. And I also think that dust will make it look less appealing if its all black... we will see!

Take a pic of your label, send it to Peter "Inkochnito" and he will send back a clean PDF with your info. Then send him a couple beers.

#613 10 years ago

Eh97ac, that sounds like a good idea! =)

#614 10 years ago

Send your High Speed info, he'll even do the PCB mini labels too in the same PDF.

[attachment=1565862,]

#615 10 years ago

That's great! Never thought about those mini labels but I need them as well. Thank you for suggesting!

#616 10 years ago

Here we go! I have started to assemble the new cabinet for testing purposes... to see if it fits or if it needs some adjustments. It came out pretty nice and only some minor things like the flipper button holes seem to be off by just a couple of mm's.

The plan is to make sure everything comes together smoothly and then its time for painting before gluing the thing back together. Interesting indeed! Sorry for the workshop looking like a warzone btw... some of my buddies decided they wanted to make more space so they tore down a storage room we had in the corner but they forgot to clean up what was inside

Anyway, here are the pictures:

cab1.jpgcab1.jpg

cab2.jpgcab2.jpg

#617 10 years ago

Soon this project is not a restoration anymore but rather a pinball building project with some parts from my BOP

#618 10 years ago

Here we go! I have started to assemble the new cabinet for testing purposes... to see if it fits or if it needs some adjustments. It came out pretty nice and only some minor things like the flipper button holes seem to be off by just a couple of mm's.
The plan is to make sure everything comes together smoothly and then its time for painting before gluing the thing back together. Interesting indeed! Sorry for the workshop looking like a warzone btw... some of my buddies decided they wanted to make more space so they tore down a storage room we had in the corner but they forgot to clean up what was inside
Anyway, here are the pictures:

cab1.jpg 185 KB

cab2.jpg 230 KB

Oh that looks soooo nice. I can just smell that new wood. Wouldn't it be better to paint it once it's glued together?

#619 10 years ago

Soon this project is not a restoration anymore but rather a pinball building project with some parts from my BOP

That's what I've been thinking as your project progresses.

#620 10 years ago

Yeah it's a kinda big difference from the old cabinet, both looks and smell =) I think it's easier to paint it before assembling, at least the inside. One thing to remember though could be to mask the areas where the glue will go so it's glue on bare wood. Other than it's easier to paint the inside I do t know if there are any advantages to paint before putting it back together.

#621 10 years ago

Well when you use the big clamps to clamp it together you may mar the outside surface and where the clamps attach, the glue will be squeezed out where you can't wipe it off so you will have to sand and repaint. Just a thought.

#622 10 years ago

Yeah thats true... It might be better to do it when its assembled, that will also save some time masking the corners and other places where the glue shall attach.

Here are some more pics of the project:

Door fits like a glove in the new cab:
door.jpgdoor.jpg

Painted "flaps" for the ramps:
rampthing.jpgrampthing.jpg

Federal sticker for the backbox plate:
fb.jpgfb.jpg
(Edit: I did clear coat the plate after all so thanks for pointing out! I used a 2 part clear that came in a spray can. Felt it would do the trick with this small board instead of messing with the paint gun and compressor. Im happy with the result but its possible that using the paint gun would've given a slightly smoother surface. Maybe next time! You need to test don't you? If you do this, remember to sand or file the holes or anywhere else where the plate needs to have ground. Like for where the ground braid attach to it. Never thought i would continuity test this piece of metal but now I've done it.)

New leg bolt brackets tested:
legbracket.jpglegbracket.jpg

More to come!

#623 10 years ago

Yeah thats true... It might be better to do it when its assembled, that will also save some time masking the corners and other places where the glue shall attach.
Here are some more pics of the project:
Door fits like a glove in the new cab:

Painted "flaps" for the ramps:

Federal sticker for the backbox plate:

New leg bolt brackets tested:

More to come!

door.jpg 59 KB

rampthing.jpg 27 KB

fb.jpg 43 KB

legbracket.jpg 35 KB

Man that is looking great. A new coin door makes the game look so fresh I see your going with the HD corner braces, good call but 2 suggestions, 1st, don't forget the wood wedges in the corners behind the braces and 2nd, drill out those 6 wimpy #6 screw holes for #12's, I did it to mine. I have a suggestion for the coin door opening, round over the edges of the opening, inside and outside, buy doing that there is less likelyhood of the wood splintering when installing or removing the door and the paint has a nice rounded edge to stick to not a sharp edge. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the great work.

Question, how is the bottom board attached?

#624 10 years ago

Thanks! =)

The coin door looks like new so im happy with the restoration i did on it. I may replace the orange plastics too but had none when i assembled it. I bought some so I have them now.

The leg corner braces, I will not forget the wood wedges (but who knows...) I did not just have them when I took the picture . And thats a great tip to drill the holes. It will be a lot more stable!

Never thought of the edges behind the coin door yet.. i will follow your suggestion because as you say its easy to have the wood splinter. Might do it at some more places like the "handles" in the back too since you grab the game there and lift it. Or wait... maybe thats just the vent? well.. some places could benefit from smoother edges.

The wooden bottom board is an improved style made of hard wood instead of the softer thing that was used originally. It is attached the same way the original was, slits made in all the side boards (front, back and sides) and the bottom "just" slides in there. When the sides are in place there is no place for it to go. I dont know if the original was even glued in there or if it just sat there like that. Anyway it is kinda tricky to put the pieces together because they all lock each other in. So you need to assemble the back and the sides, then slide the bottom in and then slide the front on with the sides apart. When the front is in place together with the bottom you push the sides together to lock it up. This will require at least two persons when its getting glued together otherwise it has the potential of ending up in a mess

Have a look at this picture:
bottom.jpgbottom.jpg

I must point out that I did not make this cab myself but a friend of mine did. He did an awesome job so many thanks to you Patrik!

#625 10 years ago

The paint on the ball gate is not gong to hold up.

#626 10 years ago

The wooden bottom board is an improved style made of hard wood instead of the softer thing that was used originally. It is attached the same way the original was, slits made in all the side boards (front, back and sides) and the bottom "just" slides in there. When the sides are in place there is no place for it to go. I dont know if the original was even glued in there or if it just sat there like that. Anyway it is kinda tricky to put the pieces together because they all lock each other in. So you need to assemble the back and the sides, then slide the bottom in and then slide the front on with the sides apart. When the front is in place together with the bottom you push the sides together to lock it up. This will require at least two persons when its getting glued together otherwise it has the potential of ending up in a mess

I see, very nice. When you dry assembled it did you check for squareness?

#627 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The paint on the ball gate is not gong to hold up.

Thats something im worried about... we will see what happens. Otherwise i might try to get my hands on some factory made ones!

#628 10 years ago

@MustangPaul, I have not measured it for super straight angles if thats what you mean, but it looks good so far. I might measure it later to see if its really straight to a T.

#629 10 years ago

super straight angles

Yes, I'm sure you know how to measure for that but just checking because you have alot going on with your project.

#630 10 years ago

It has escalated to pretty much indeed! But I apreciate every advice or suggestion I can have. It's easy to stare yourself blind when working alone on something.

#631 10 years ago

Thats something im worried about... we will see what happens. Otherwise i might try to get my hands on some factory made ones!

Just like spinners... it will chip off. But being round, it will take even more 'tearing' hits. Paint the cover if you want, but the bar should stay natural

#632 10 years ago

Yes I will give it a try and see how fast it tears.. the bar, do you mean the bar that holds the black gate? I have not planned to paint it. Thanks for all the small tips you guys are giving!

2 weeks later
#633 9 years ago

Some pictures of the progress with the bare wood. This part was a bit tricky to create but I think it will work. Hard thing is to know if the whole thing will fit together with the playfield and everything but time will tell! I transfered the special "bolt metals" for the backbox securing screws. Never knew these existed, or at least not how they looked, until I took my cabinet apart. You dont see these often.

wood.jpgwood.jpg

#634 9 years ago

Very nice, is that 11 ply voidless wood your using.

#635 9 years ago

Hm, not sure exactly what it is but something like that. More layers than the original and should be high quality stuff! =)

#637 9 years ago

Think it's about 11-13 layers. This weekend I hope to prep the surfaces and glue it together. Must check with the PF first though, I think I should mount it unpopulated in the game to make really sure the hinges etc fit. Also the two pieces that join at an angle in the back of the PF must align properly. You can see one of them in the pics above. It goes with another one looking the same but reversed in the back to "seal" off so there's no hole down into the cab. I'm not 100 percent about it but if I remember right it's how it works. Hard to explain but will post pictures =) also the plastic trim at the far top of the PF/ cab where the glass slides in needs testing. Don't want it to leave a gap between the backbox and glass lol!

#638 9 years ago

More testing of the "fitness" of the new cab. It still looks promising!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-623.jpgimage-623.jpg

Soon painting =)

#639 9 years ago

Sorry - have not read all.
My Bride is like new with new printed PF and Cab.

I have changed the Eyes switches as same as Mouth switch.
Now all works perfect. But don't forget the nut under the eye plate. Your switch must set before!
A little adjust to the middle - no problems any more.

#640 9 years ago

...bow - forgoten.
GREAT WORK

#641 9 years ago
Quoted from TAB:

Sorry - have not read all.
My Bride is like new with new printed PF and Cab.

Are you saying you got a new playfield? If so, please PM me the source. I need a PF.

#642 9 years ago

You have PM.

And for all another info.
There will be some days(years) a repro PF from perfectplayfields.com

#643 9 years ago

...and i have made a black version for the cabinet.
Looks great Meanwhile there are many black machines in Europe

#644 9 years ago

And in case you missed it, new plastics are available on CPR right now.

#645 9 years ago

Sure wish we could buy just a few pieces from the sets.

#646 9 years ago

Thanks awarner for info. Cool

#647 9 years ago

Yeah it's pretty cool with the black cabinet! The switches for the eyes, are those prone to fail and it's better to replace them with the same style as the mouth switch? I have not digged into the head yet so I don't know what it looks like. And the PF, I would like a PM too! =) I'm interested in knowing the options to paint it myself.

#648 9 years ago

To work on the eyes or mouth, spin the head using the self test to the proper position and turn off the machine. Then remove the face to gain access to the switches and adjust or replace as necessary. Put the plate back on without any screws and test the switches by listening for the click when the ball goes in. Remove, bend and test again until it works. I don't know why, but it took me a few minutes to figure this out...

#649 9 years ago

Allright! I think it will work pretty nicely but might need the adjustments you describe after it's been teared down and reassembled. Thanks! =)

I'm doing the sanding and filling of the cabinet now so any day the paint gun is gonna get back on duty!

image-617.jpgimage-617.jpg

#650 9 years ago

Painting on the way, here's some priming:

image-143.jpgimage-143.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
$ 27.95
$ 9.99
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-restoration-thread/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.