(Topic ID: 39906)

Bingo hunting ?

By HELLODEADCITY

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Its_Alive_(resized).JPG
    Aug_trip_092_(resized).jpg
    Aug_trip_097_(resized).jpg (© hERE)
    IMG_6605_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6603_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6602_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6600_(resized).JPG
    SHOWTIME_(resized).JPG
    Cool_Can_Can_Bingo_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    BingDeal10-7-15_344.jpg
    BingDeal10-7-15_343.jpg
    BingDeal10-7-15_346.jpg
    There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 10 years ago

Nick, you have described the bingo experience perfectly. I wish I had your way with words. I suspect that, like me, you may not be a fan of 20 hole bingos like Hawaii. The original 25 holers, and particularly Magic Screen games, are the way to go. Perhaps you could explain to alb0711 why 1000 bucks is way overpriced for a Hawaii. At least here in the Midwest. I know that there are pockets of the U.S. where folks grew up playing only 20 holers and prefer them. I understand that. But a 20 hole bingo, even one like Hawaii with many features, is only worth a few hundred bucks. For 1000 bucks you can buy a much better 25 holer. And possibly 2 or 3 of them.

#52 10 years ago

I also think $1000 is a lot, didn't know there were 20 hole and 25 hole versions.

I wonder if these machines were more prevelant in certain cities then others? I remember seeing them as a kid, but could never figure them out so always went for the pinball machines instead.

I'm going to be patient and wait for something reasonably priced to come up here in Denver.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from alb0711:

I remember seeing them as a kid, but could never figure them out so always went for the pinball machines instead.

Some bars only had Bingo's which made for a boring time for a kid (me) waiting for the folks to finish their cocktails.

Ken

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I suspect that, like me, you may not be a fan of 20 hole bingos like Hawaii.

I'd have a 20 hole but only alongside a couple of earlier games. I don't think they have the classic artwork of earlier magic squares and magic screen games. I don't know what they make over there. A Follies Begeres in what looked like nice condition but needing some work sold for £330 here last week. It actually had quite nice back glass artwork and, had I room for it, I would have bid. I think the main problem with them is they are much harder to win on due to the screen design. To make any line, you have to make a colored star number and two, three or four others in that color section, not easy to do. However, they can pay out massive replay numbers. Definitely, one of the later magic squares games or a magic screens are the nicest to look at and give the best play experience, in my opinion. A game with wood rails and wooden legs is my personal favorite.
    I guess, like EM flippers, it depends what you played in your youth that determines what is desirable in later life. I much prefer 50s and 60s games to 70s.

#55 10 years ago

I recently found about 10 EM bingos and one SS bingo. I never knew they made a SS bingo. I have repaired EM Bingos in the past but would pass on doing it again.

#56 10 years ago

Guess my link didnt work.

chicago.craigslist.org link

#57 10 years ago

I know a guy with 2 Mystic Gate NIB back glasses for sale if anyone is looking.

--Jeff

#59 10 years ago

That one is modified and has a Bally slot machine hopper to pay out automatically. No bartender/attendant necessary. For Amusement Only. Wink-wink.

#60 10 years ago

1948 bally bingo pinball - $125 Like the cabinet artwork.
    portland.craigslist.org link

Bingo.JPGBingo.JPG

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Oooh horse race game. Love it

Here's another one local to me.

boise.craigslist.org link

Ken

#63 10 years ago

This is really cool. Thanks for all the input guys. I've seen several of these, but never had any idea how these works. Now of course I'm dying to try one. Wish I knew someone or somewhere locally that has one.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Ken

here is this game... more complete. Love the way it looks!

cincinnati.craigslist.org link

#65 10 years ago

I'm kicking myself, picked up a 1971 playball this weekend, had to promise the wife I'd sell something before I buy anything else - then this Bingo came up here on Monday. Looks to be in good shape and priced right.

denver.craigslist.org link

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from alb0711:

I'm kicking myself, picked up a 1971 playball this weekend, had to promise the wife I'd sell something before I buy anything else - then this Bingo came up here on Monday. Looks to be in good shape and priced right.

Fun game. Not rare as advertised. This game has the popular "Magic Lines" feature. The first three vertical numbered lines on the bingo card on the backglass are able to move either up or down by turning one of the three knobs on the left side of the front rail. This feature was used on a few other Bally bingos. In the ad, the phrase "All bumpers work" is strange. There are no working bumpers on the playfield. Just posts and holes. The price is fair if it is in good working condition. Maybe a little high. It's hard to tell the condition of the game with the fuzzy photos but the backglass and playfield look to be in good condition. The front of the cabinet looks a little ratty but that is common.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Ken

Grandstand is the payout version of Turf King. Beware. I see a lot of missing parts on this game. Maybe the guy just did not photograph them. The front door is missing. It contains all of the necessary payout parts. The slide out board section of the game is missing from the cabinet. This contains 90% of the mechanical parts of the game. If any of this stuff is missing, you will have nothing but a good boat anchor!

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Fun game. Not rare as advertised. This game has the popular "Magic Lines" feature. The first three vertical numbered lines on the bingo card on the backglass are able to move either up or down by turning one of the three knobs on the left side of the front rail. This feature was used on a few other Bally bingos. In the ad, the phrase "All bumpers work" is strange. There are no working bumpers on the playfield. Just posts and holes. The price is fair if it is in good working condition. Maybe a little high. It's hard to tell the condition of the game with the fuzzy photos but the backglass and playfield look to be in good condition. The front of the cabinet looks a little ratty but that is common.

It is a 'Big time' @ 1954. If it works, it is well worth the price..........IMO.
    BTW.......... all 5 vertical lines move, not 3 as stated above. It is the only one in that era with 5 movable Lines, the others have 3.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

The "all bumpers work" comment is strange, might mean only GI works - I've seen similar "wotking" comments with pinball machines that wouldn't really start.

Hmmmm.... maybe a good thing I can't buy another machine until I get rid of one. ;->

#70 10 years ago

how do these things "work"? i've seen them, but i've never quite figured out what to do... someone got linkage to educate me?

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from JKnPA:

It is a 'Big time' @ 1954. If it works, it is well worth the price..........IMO.
    BTW.......... all 5 vertical lines move, not 3 as stated above. It is the only one in that era with 5 movable Lines, the others have 3.

You are correct. 5 Magic Lines. Today is my 61st birthday and I lose a few more brain cells every year!

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

You are correct. 5 Magic Lines. Today is my 61st birthday and I lose a few more brain cells every year!

No problem....... I know what you mean. This is the only 'Bingo' thread I see, so I thought I would comment..............LOL.
    I bought a 'Big Time' last month, so I know a little about it .
    *** HAPPY BIRTHDAY ***

Quoted from ccotenj:

how do these things "work"? i've seen them, but i've never quite figured out what to do... someone got linkage to educate me?

Ok..... maybe this will help...........
    * In the 2 video he wonders why 'magic line 4' doesn't work . Line 4 & 5 must be Lit for the lines to move. If you look at the backglass.... only 1-3 is Lit. The 'magic lines ' are features, you have to pay to get them...... LOL.
    Enjoy

#73 10 years ago

Happy Birthday Dennis.

Thanks again for the NOS Cypress Gardens cards!!!

--Jeff

#74 10 years ago

@jk... cool, thanks...

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Happy Birthday Dennis.
    --Jeff

Jeff,
    Did you get your Cypress Gardens' up & running ?
    I thought about a 'CG', but I'm looking for a 'Night Club', the second version in that series.

#76 10 years ago

Its getting there. Motors have been rebuilt. Working switches now.

Such a cool machine

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Happy Birthday Dennis.
    --Jeff

Thanks guys! And thanks to my brothers Keith and Eric for picking up the tab for getting me drunk tonight!

#78 10 years ago

Its getting there. Motors have been rebuilt. Working switches now.
    Such a cool machine

***** I like all the Features *****

ScreenHunter_01_Sep._12_03.19.gifScreenHunter_01_Sep._12_03.19.gif

#79 10 years ago

They still make bingos. They make them in China and it appears they're mainly sold to central and south america.

I contacted a distributor and learned they cost about $500 each, and shipping was around $550.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BEJ2vE8dw8Q

1 week later
    #80 10 years ago

I just picked up these two Bingos, but I am really hitting a wall when it comes to figuring out what they are. Can someone give me some idea what they are converted versions of and why it was done?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fsft-bally-bingo-machines-in-central-pa-by-york-show

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

I just picked up these two Bingos, but I am really hitting a wall when it comes to figuring out what they are. Can someone give me some idea what they are converted versions of and why it was done?
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fsft-bally-bingo-machines-in-central-pa-by-york-show

The playfield in the first photo is a Barrel O' Fun '62. The second photo is a Barrel O' Fun from 1960. Operators changed the backglass if the game was illegal to operate in their area. Some police departments had a list of banned games.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

A little bit more here............... some were also changed to 'single-coin' machines to take the 'gambling aspect' out of the play. They mention that at the bottom of the article in reference to Ohio.
    http://danny.cdyn.com/sixcard.htm

#83 10 years ago

Bally did make a few six card machines, Ohio dime games, to get over gambling laws there. They weren't allowed to have a replay meter or any method of chance. So no extra coins which might or might not give extra features, odds or balls. They're mentioned in Jeffrey Lawton's book. Some gave fixed numbers of points for lines. You just bought extra cards for coins. I can't imagine they were much fun to play.

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from nick-the-greek:

Bally did make a few six card machines, Ohio dime games, to get over gambling laws there. They weren't allowed to have a replay meter or any method of chance. So no extra coins which might or might not give extra features, odds or balls. They're mentioned in Jeffrey Lawton's book. Some gave fixed numbers of points for lines. You just bought extra cards for coins. I can't imagine they were much fun to play.

Hey Nick,
    If you were a 'Bingo addict'.......... I would think they were better than nothing !

#85 10 years ago

Yes mate, they sure would be. But still a bit like having to drink your own urine in a desert. I think that's why they were made, to give the Ohio bingo nutters a chance to have a play. Shame the boring politicians couldn't let e'm have a proper game.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from JKnPA:

A little bit more here............... some were also changed to 'single-coin' machines to take the 'gambling aspect' out of the play. They mention that at the bottom of the article in reference to Ohio.

Interesting read. Ive never played a 6 card. You dont see many bingo at all down here in TX

--Jeff

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Interesting read. Ive never played a 6 card. You dont see many bingo at all down here in TX
    --Jeff

That is because you Guys are either Hunting, Fishing, or at a Football game.........LOL.

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from JKnPA:

That is because you Guys are either Hunting, Fishing, or at a Football game.........LOL.

Or they have Pinball.

#89 10 years ago

$350 (Wheat Ridge,CO)

#90 10 years ago

Dennis,

Thank you for giving me the ID for the bingos. It makes sense that they were trying to hide the name of the game if inspectors were walking around with a list of banned ones.

Was this common? Would the trade out the guts of the game in anyway or was it visual only? The cabinet on the one game is clearly different (the one that has the backbox as the rear leg as well, what is that from?).

The other cabinet looks like someone clad the outside in some sort for thin wood paneling to "clean it up".

Would they just salvage the playfields out of old bingos to put into "legal" bingos that had single coin mechanisms?

Thanks for all of the help with these machines, I really feel in the dark with them.

#91 10 years ago

albany.craigslist.org link

Not mine, but popped up on my local craigslist last week.

1 week later
    #92 10 years ago

Found some great deals for you Bingo Fans.

$100 per. Take your pick.

indianapolis.craigslist.org link

Finders fee now accepted in karma

In all seriousness, what are these worth per as a project? I am curious.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from TurboBengal:

Found some great deals for you Bingo Fans.
    $100 per. Take your pick.
    indianapolis.craigslist.org link
    Finders fee now accepted in karma
    In all seriousness, what are these worth per as a project? I am curious.

Bingos tend to go for very little. $50 - 200 is typical. I have been offered a few for free.

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from IntoPinball:

Vic had my head spinning explaining the rules/odds on one of his bingo machines... I still get a headache thinking about it. Haha

I received the same education ... and loved every second of it. Vic is an outstanding guy that's so passionate about pinball. I've wanted a bingo ever since going to his house a couple of years ago. Happy to live nearby him and the awesome New York/New Jersey pin region.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Bingos tend to go for very little. $50 - 200 is typical. I have been offered a few for free.

Funny Jonnyo, we live thousands of miles away from each other, but in the same town.

Cheers from the east coast!

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

I received the same education ... and loved every second of it. Vic is an outstanding guy that's so passionate about pinball. I've wanted a bingo ever since going to his house a couple of years ago. Happy to live nearby him and the awesome New York/New Jersey pin region.

I was just back at Vic's tonight... Always a good time.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

The next time you are offered a Real Bingo for FREE.............let me know!
    Most of the Backglass on Bingos average $200. ............

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from IntoPinball:

I was just back at Vic's tonight... Always a good time.

Nice. Couldn't make it this time. EMs are really challenging, and Vic are all CQ beauties.

1 month later
    #99 10 years ago

Bally Miss America Parts machine real cheap
    stlouis.craigslist.org link

#100 10 years ago

I wish that game was closer...I just picked up a beauty of a Bally SILVER SAILS here in NJ. I'll post some pictures soon.Meanwhile check out some videos of my gamerooms. Bally bingos are there.

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bingo-hunting/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.