(Topic ID: 42696)

**Update: FOUND** Beta Tester Wanted - Bally Sound Prom Adapter

By acebathound

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

adapter_angle.jpg
    IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

**UPDATE: FOUND** Beta tester has been found. So that's all for now -- if anyone is interested in this adapter please let me know & I can put you on a waiting list for when a larger volume of boards is ordered.

---------------------

It turns out some or all of the AS-2518-32 boards have the U3 PROM directly soldered to the board. So I will need to find someone that has the U3 PROM already in a socket. More details are below.

Must have one (or more) of the following machines & live in continental US:
    Lost World
    6 Million Dollar Man
    Playboy
    Supersonic
    Star Trek
    Kiss

You'd be testing a small adapter board that replaces the Sound PROM at U3 on the sound board. I've already tested it in a Globetrotters that uses the AS-2518-50 sound board, so I don't expect any issues since the -32 board uses the same PROM chip (just different code). But I'd like to have someone try the board with the -32 sound board. The existing sound PROM should be in a socket, so just pop it out and put the adapter in its place.

You can then keep the adapter board if you'd like as a backup or as part of a diagnostic tool for ruling out the sound prom if you repair lots of Bally machines. Must be comfortable with removing small chips from sockets and willing to accept the risk if something goes wrong (bend original chip legs, hit self in head with screwdriver, etc)

If all goes well, I may then have other much more interesting boards for you to help beta test in the future. Can't promise many freebies, but the boards would be discounted from the target price and you could select ones that interest you.

adapter_angle.jpgadapter_angle.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Let me know if you get to: MMPM, Baby Pac, Spectrum, Mystic... I have those and I'd love to have an option to re-do sound or beta test.

#3 11 years ago

I have a 6M$M that will probably be sold at TPF next week. Would be happy to test if you can get it here before then!

#4 11 years ago

Hi. I have a Bally Star Trek and am happy to help you out. Shoot me a PM if you still need a hand.

Also, would that same thing work on Paragon's AS-2518-50?

#5 11 years ago

I have a six million dollar man, would be happy to help out

#6 11 years ago

That was quick! Guinea pig.. oops, I mean beta tester has been located. Thank you to all that responded on this one! Will have more products in the near future that I will probably solicit a few beta testers for. Glad to see such a great response! Thanks again!

#7 11 years ago

Price should be around $15 assembled per adapter (adapter only, no 2716 eprom included) + 2.50 shipping within the US. I will hopefully also be able to sell with an eprom for an additional $5 (cost of eprom + service to program), but I want to run that by Planetary Pinball first.

In any case, for those with programmers.. a PROM image is available freely by download on IPDB via the ROM zip file for your game. It's the file with the .123 extension in the zip file (ie. Supersonic sound PROM file is named "729-18_3.123"). You would need to concatenate the .123 file data multiple times to fill up the size of a 2716 eprom. Easiest to do this with some DOS copy commands.

#8 11 years ago

I'm looking for another beta tester for this sound PROM adapter. Need to find someone that has an AS-2518-32 sound board where U3 is socketed. **UPDATE: FOUND**

Unfortunately hadn't realized that on some or all of the AS-2518-32 boards the U3 PROM is directly soldered to the board. As far as I've seen, the U3 PROM was socketed on the AS-2518-50 boards.

#9 11 years ago

I'll do it.

#10 11 years ago

Chip safely removed, socket installed, retested successfully in machine, bring on the prototype

IMG_0439.JPGIMG_0439.JPG IMG_0441.JPGIMG_0441.JPG IMG_0444.JPGIMG_0444.JPG IMG_0445.JPGIMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPGIMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPGIMG_0447.JPG

#11 11 years ago

VERY interested!

I would love to be able to make my own adapter. The sound prom is failed very often on these boards.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

Chip safely removed, socket installed, retested successfully in machine, bring on the prototype

Talk about being prepared! Nice job! I got the adapter built today & will be dropping it in the mail tomorrow. Thanks again!

#13 11 years ago

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what exactly is this chip replacement doing?
    (I have a Playboy)

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what exactly is this chip replacement doing?
    (I have a Playboy)

There's a bi-polar PROM IC at U3 on the sound board that is hard to track down -- contains data for the tones used on the sound card. This adapter can be used in place of the PROM chip. If your sound board is working fine, it won't change anything. It's mainly for anyone with a non-working sound board that suspects their PROM IC is bad or for people that do repairs on these sound boards and want to rule out a faulty PROM as the issue.

#15 11 years ago

I'm willing to try it and buy. I have a kiss, harlem globetrotters and baby pac.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

There's a bi-polar PROM IC at U3 on the sound board that is hard to track down -- contains data for the tones used on the sound card. This adapter can be used in place of the PROM chip. If your sound board is working fine, it won't change anything. It's mainly for anyone with a non-working sound board that suspects their PROM IC is bad or for people that do repairs on these sound boards and want to rule out a faulty PROM as the issue.

Ahh.. OK. Thanks for the clarification. I get it.

#17 11 years ago

Installed the chip. Played several games. There is no difference between the chip and the original ROM. It works perfectly.

IMG_0449.JPGIMG_0449.JPG

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

Installed the chip. Played several games. There is no difference between the chip and the original ROM. It works perfectly.

Awesome news, thanks a lot Ken!

#19 11 years ago

No problem. Let me know if there's anything else you want me to try with it.

6 months later
    #20 10 years ago

Any update to this? I would love the info about the adapters. I fix these boards frequently and the PROMs fail quite often.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Any update to this? I would love the info about the adapters. I fix these boards frequently and the PROMs fail quite often.

I had a small handful of boards made up -- I may only have one or two ready to ship now after I had sent a few out to be beta tested. I was also trying to work out details on getting the eprom included with the adapter. I'm not sure if there are any licensing issues with inclusion of roms on something like this for classic Bally games, but I had some communication going there with who I assumed were the license holders and then communication just dropped off on their end. So I left it as "no eprom included" -- but it's easy enough for anyone with a burner to download the file from IPDB, create a file for a 2716 eprom and burn it.

If I received enough interest I was going to have a larger volume of boards created, but appeal seemed limited to board repairers or people with non-working boards that want to follow some of the repair guides out there on it and suspect a bad prom chip. If you or anyone else is interested in a quantity of them (assembled or as bare boards) let me know and if there's enough to warrant a small volume board run I'll make an order. It would take 2-3 weeks for me to receive the boards from the fabricator after I make an order.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beta-tester-wanted-early-bally-sound-prom-adapter-as-2518-32-sound-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.