(Topic ID: 40887)

best translite led

By dementedwarlok

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC04143.JPG
    C56541D1-ECFE-4883-A4C9-029ED979E89A.JPG
    P1070094.JPG
    P1070089.JPG
    P1070092.JPG
    P1070090.JPG
    DSC04141.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

What is the best translite led? The pin I bought has partial led in it but not sure what kind. They are 4led style and I bought some ablaze and they didn't match. I don't want it to bright.

#2 11 years ago

I think it depends on the Translite. I've only done two, and tried all kinds, maybe every kind?

When all else failed on thing I found really worked well is the flex style, and point them either sideways for a clear start/stop line coinciding with artwork. Or point them straight away from the translite. I've been really impressed with the second method, when frosted or anything else was too bright or created hotspots that usually fixed it right up.

#3 11 years ago

For the most part I like superbrites in my WPC Backboxes. Exception being Shadow and NBAFB. I had to put the 2LED Frosteds in those to tone it down.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

They are 4led style and I bought some ablaze and they didn't match. I don't want it to bright.

Jesus the backbox reflection would burn through the PF glass.

Of course it depends on the glass & placement of bulbs. I just did my Wh20 with abalze 1s mostly, then some CT frosteds around the outside edge as it's a little dark in places. Now it a nice cool blue and not too bright.

#5 11 years ago

I just did some backboxes with the new PL warm white .27 cent ones.

The colors look correct and the glare is way down compared to the crappy crazy brights that the old owner had installed.

These may be the best bulbs yet for backboxes, and at .27 cents - go Terry!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just did some backboxes with the new PL warm white .27 cent ones.

Could you send me a link Vid, can't find them.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

PL warm white .27 cent ones

Which ones, there were no .27 cent ones on their web site .39 cent may be.
    What kind, flat, concave, frosted, 1-LED, 2-LED, 3-LED, ?
    Need to know for my Backboxes.

#8 11 years ago

Sorry about that guys:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1882

They will come out to .27 cents as soon as you put 100 into your basket -

#9 11 years ago

Thanks Vid, I'm wrestling with that also.

Data East lamp placement is of the suk and random CT Mini frosted (tried the Supers also) are just too focused and make the bad bulb layout look worse, and look like shite.

On on other backglasses and translights, awesomeness.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sorry about that guys

Thanks Vid

#11 11 years ago

seems like i have to order alot and just play with them till i find the right combo. the ones in there now are 4 led and not so bright but i dont think they are a ablaze. I need ghost lights for the rest of the playfield as ghosting is bad on the dr dude

#13 11 years ago

oh my bad i need wedges for the translite lol

#14 11 years ago

i will post a pic up of the translight in a few to show you what LEDs are in there now which i would actuall like cuz they are not overpowering

#15 11 years ago

Demented....

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1886

Abalze 1s are not overly bright. Now that they have them in warm white...you just need to figure out weather you're looking for a blu or yellow look.

#16 11 years ago

here is the leds that are in there now. they are 4 led but not super bright havent found anything similar the ablaze is in there for comparsion as you can find it easly i was hoping to find the same style rather than order a whole bunch of new ones. i want them all to be matching so i may have to order all new ones

DSC04141.JPGDSC04141.JPG

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Demented....
    Abalze 1s are not overly bright. Now that they have them in warm white...you just need to figure out weather you're looking for a blu or yellow look.

love that warm look always have

#18 11 years ago

love that warm look always have

Ha... yes well all the LEDs are cool and your regulars are bulbs & are warm. So I'm a little confused. I f you want to make the translite like the leds you have in there those are cool white.
    But anyway...Those aren't PBL 4s? Never had pbl 4s so wouldn't know. Those ARE on the bright side though.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2560

#19 11 years ago

i ordered those and they are different could be a older version of a LED they are not as bright as the blaze. sorry to confuse you I do like the warm look but prefer any look just thought somebody knew what 4led those might have been. also i am new to the pin slang what is PBL 4 lol

#20 11 years ago

also while i am here what is the difference between the concave lenses and stuff how do they change the light pattern?

#21 11 years ago

Concave spreads most of their light out of the sides of the bulb.

I don't see a Warm White light out yet from PL:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1881

#22 11 years ago

yeah i didnt either just the frosted. I put a few of those in the home fireball model and it looks great.

#23 11 years ago

i seen cointaker has a wide angle lite that may work good in the translite choices choices there are so many.

#24 11 years ago

i seen cointaker has a wide angle lite that may work good in the translite choices choices there are so many.

I like Frosteds in the backbox as their job is to diffuse the light. Frosted 555s you can get in warm.

I can post a pick of my Wh20 when I get home in 90 minutes.

Cointaker makes awesome stuff also. I have found Super brights woirk very well in back boxes...but they are super bright after all. CT Frosteds work well also....sometimes you can get away with using them in only 1/2 to 2/3 the sockets depending on the game.

#25 11 years ago

cool thanks for the advise

#26 11 years ago

Mostly Ablaze 1 frosteds with some CT Frosted thrown in around the edges.

P1070090.JPGP1070090.JPG P1070092.JPGP1070092.JPG P1070089.JPGP1070089.JPG P1070094.JPGP1070094.JPG

#27 11 years ago

If you guys have not tried the PBL 4 LED's you should. While they are probably the brightest bulb, if you only use 1/3 - 1/2 of the sockets they do an awesome job. What is surprising is they spread the light better than other individual LED's, even the frosteds and concave bulbs from what i have seen.

The photo below uses cool and you can see what i mean but they have warm also which would give it a more stock look. This trick was originally posted by rarehero and it works great.

C56541D1-ECFE-4883-A4C9-029ED979E89A.JPGC56541D1-ECFE-4883-A4C9-029ED979E89A.JPG

#28 11 years ago

got the right ones concave from pinballlife

DSC04143.JPGDSC04143.JPG

#29 11 years ago

+1 to me for catching the say no to drugs

1 year later
    #30 9 years ago

It's been two years since this thread was updated - what are the latest recommendations for LEDs for translights? I love the colors OlDirty chose for his AFM (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome#post-1573513) and want to do the same for mine, but there are so many bulb choices & vendors out there today I don't know where to start...

#31 9 years ago

yup lots out here. where to start is what you want to spend. I buy in bulk from pinballlife because i can usually do a backbox and all the GI with about 50 or so and have a few xtra. i havent gotten into the color cordinating yet.

#32 9 years ago

I did do some color matching in my inserts using ghost busters. i also use some of what i buy in other machines I get along the way

#33 9 years ago

on dr dudes I really dont see much to put colors in to be honest.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-translite-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.