Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rick471
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best sounding game”

• Shadow 12 votes
      10%
    • BSD 12 votes
      10%
    • ACDC 16 votes
      13%
    • LOTR 16 votes
      13%
    • TOM 4 votes
      3%
    • Demo man 5 votes
      4%
    • CV 5 votes
      4%
    • FT 3 votes
      2%
    • Other 51 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 124 votes by 117 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

xylophone2.jpg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Sound clarity, humour, clear instructions, music or anything that makes a game special enough that you want to play it over and over. For me BSD for jackpot sound, Shadow for voices, ACDC for music, Demo man for speech, and all SS's like TX Sector, BK2000 for electro sounds...

I think BK2000 for me is the ultimate rush to play....

#2 12 years ago

For its time, PINBOT sounds amazing

deep rumbles & great CG harpsicord riffs!

DR

#3 12 years ago

Again, I am very surprised to find TOM on a short list like this.

#4 12 years ago

I love the background drone sound on Black Hole, it's something special for me, and when I get this game set up again I really want to wire the sound to my HiFi and get it pumped round the room so it can carry me around with it on a head spin Electra has a similar background drone sound that does it for me too, and is the main reason this game is a keeper for me! In fact I blame these early background drone sounding games for my current music taste!

#5 12 years ago

You should add Iron Man to the list.

#6 12 years ago

Tron, hard to beat that custom Daft Punk soundtrack.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from mmlpin1:

You should add Iron Man to the list.

A) you can't add to the list once the list is made.
    B) There are only 9 options as max for polls (I think...).

It's in 'other', along with the best (the mighty Black Hole!!!).

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Tron, hard to beat that custom Daft Punk soundtrack.

Sounds like a fly on acid as do most Sterns... Ear piercing sound....

#9 12 years ago

Um, TZ?

How did FT make this list? I mean, I love FT, but not for the sound!

#10 12 years ago

Ironman.

RGR, your lists suck.

Aside from that I think the JPop games sound great! And AFM or RFM... neither of which is on the list??

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from devil_rider:

For its time, PINBOT sounds amazing

+1 I always loved that and BK2000. Those pins of the 80's always had great sounds.

#12 12 years ago

All my favorite sounding games are early 80's solid states. Not necessarily my favorites to play, but I'll never get tired of the classic space/sci-fi soundtracks and effects. Time Fantasy, Strange Science and Mars God of War all stand out in my memory. I love playing this era of games loud and not being concerned with repetitive quotes or tunes that will get on my nerves.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

All my favorite sounding games are early 80's solid states. Not necessarily my favorites to play, but I'll never get tired of the classic space/sci-fi soundtracks and effects. Time Fantasy, Strange Science and Mars God of War all stand out in my memory. I love playing this era of games loud and not being concerned with repetitive quotes or tunes that will get on my nerves.

+1 for Time Fantasy or any others from the Eugene Jarvis era.

Also a very strong nod for Pinbot.

#14 12 years ago

T R O N

#15 12 years ago

BK2K no question.

Pinbot is a close second for me.

#17 12 years ago

IJ NO QUESTION. DCS>all

#18 12 years ago

One thing for sure, I miss STEREO in games. At least give us the option of adding it..

#19 12 years ago

IJ, Shadow, Demo Man - all very good and even better with updated speakers

Tron is awesome with the daft punk soundtrack

#20 12 years ago

TRON for the more modern games.
    IJ for the older B/W games. First DCS and great sound bites in just the right places.

#21 12 years ago

RFM and LOTR. The front speaker being pushed forward on RFM really gives it a very immersed sound feeling IMO. Both RFM and LOTR sound great with the stock sound package.

#22 12 years ago

GnR.......end of poll.

#23 12 years ago

BK2000 is my favorite, followed by SOF!

#24 12 years ago

I'm not sure what aspect of the sound is being judged here. Is it the fidelity or the music or the sfx and calls or the best amalgamation of them all?

Overall, I think AFM is pretty amazing but Fish Tales is great too.

#25 12 years ago

I have to go with IM on this one. With Flipper Fidelity system.

#26 12 years ago

Based strictly on sound quality, I'd say the Pin2K's pretty much blow everything else away.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Um, TZ?
    How did FT make this list? I mean, I love FT, but not for the sound!

Fish Tales along with WH20 have great music!!!!

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Ironman.
    RGR, your lists suck.
    Aside from that I think the JPop games sound great! And AFM or RFM... neither of which is on the list??

Lol IM???? The game doesnt tell you what to shoot for. The only Stern to make the list was ACDC and this is only due to the music not due to the lack of verbal instructions. Plenty more pins with better sound than IM. Added to this I could only provide 8 games.... However I am not ranking all of the 8 listing I am just asking for the best sounding.. Surely IM does not beat all of the games listed...

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Lol IM???? The game doesnt tell you what to shoot for.

Huh? Sure it does..

Tron doesn't though, I'll give you that.

#30 12 years ago

Sounds from Embryon take me right back to the 80's

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

RGR said:
    Lol IM???? The game doesnt tell you what to shoot for.
    Huh? Sure it does..
    Tron doesn't though, I'll give you that.

No countdown for loops shots, no instructions for centre shot... heck even Andre in PAPA didnt know he had to shoot the centre shot to raise the Iron Monger... The ramps announce the scores but lol big deal... No countdown for war machine or any multiball for that matter.. And like most Sterns, status report tells you nothing. I am baffled as to why they slacked off after LOTR.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

The only Stern to make the list was ACDC and this is only due to the music not due to the lack of verbal instructions.

What a shock!

#33 12 years ago

Where is Scared Stiff??

#34 12 years ago

I can't keep arguing my point, let's just agree to disagree. You hate Stern, we get it.

#35 12 years ago

Tron should be on the list. I had to go with other along with the majority of others.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

IJ NO QUESTION. DCS>all

The only problem with IJ is that after a few 100 games the calls and tune kind of bury themselves in your head and haunt your every waking moment, and a few of your sleeping ones...

#37 12 years ago

I gotta go with ST:TNG due to all of the custom speech by many of the characters, good adrenaline pumping music for the different modes, perfect sound effects, etc. How can you not get super pumped up hitting warp 9 with the escalating warp sounds? Awesome.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

The only problem with IJ is that after a few 100 games the calls and tune kind of bury themselves in your head and haunt your every waking moment, and a few of your sleeping ones...

Ahhh, the true sign of a great game
    If it's not haunting you in your sleep, what good is it? I especially love that super-exciting clip of John Williams' score just as you go up the right ramp with PoA or Jackpot lit... only to be totally dejected when the ball comes back down

#39 12 years ago

Congos got a killer soundtrack. Sounds awesome with speaker upgrade.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Congos got a killer soundtrack. Sounds awesome with speaker upgrade.

Have to agree with you there I really liked the sound on that pin.

#41 12 years ago

TZ might take a hit because it is muffled a little, but the music and effects are great, Jackpots always cool.

Hmmm...how about WhirlWind? Can't get enough of those sounds and they've been programmed in my brain since I first started.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm...how about Whirlwind? Can't get enough of those sounds and they've been programmed in my brain since I first started.

I like how the sounds change as you hit the ramp several times in a row... "cherrrrr ruddd ddd ddd da dddaaaaa..." "cherrrr RUDD da DUU da DAHHH!!" "CHer BLIP iddy BLIPP iddy BLIPIDDY!!!" and the 3 way combo siren.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from shanetastic:

TheLaw said:Hmmm...how about Whirlwind? Can't get enough of those sounds and they've been programmed in my brain since I first started.
    I like how the sounds change as you hit the ramp several times in a row... "cherrrrr ruddd ddd ddd da dddaaaaa..." "cherrrr RUDD da DUU da DAHHH!!" "CHer BLIP iddy BLIPP iddy BLIPIDDY!!!" and the 3 way combo siren.

If this is a joke, it is really funny.

#44 12 years ago

FEEL THE POWER

#45 12 years ago

I voted for AC/DC. Got to play it & hear the sounds at Tx Pinball Fest. Sounded great to me. I like most of AC/DC's music. I really like the tone of the bell when you hit it.
    I wish GN'R was on the OP's list. Would have made the poll results more interesting to me.

#46 12 years ago

mecanic: bally xylo
    numeric: black hole, centaur
    alpha: black knigt 2000, genesis
    dot: safe cracker

I'm only talking about original soundtracks

#47 12 years ago

IM and SM sound great for original music and they really get the adrenaline pumping.
    I love the Daft Punk tracks on Tron. I still have the Derezzed soundtrack in my truck. Trying to decide if I am going to buy an IM or Tron next.
    Pinbot has to win for me for arcade background sounds. Sometimes I turn on the Williams collection on Wi just for the Pinbot background music.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I still have the Derezzed soundtrack in my truck.

Hahaha,
    I know the feeling SC.
    The people at work always want me to play the "R3CONF1GUR3D" album over and over again...

#49 12 years ago

IJ

closely followed by

TZ

#50 12 years ago

BOP, BSD,....Space shuttle over Black Hole.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-sounding-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.