• 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chucktee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SDC10270.JPG
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Ok, so the bigger my collection gets, the more I want to add unusual, novelty-style pins to enhance the variety of my line-up, especially since I often have non-pinball people over, and I like seeing their reactions to different pins. Just yesterday I scored one of my holy grails, a nearly perfect A.G. Soccer-ball. I have wanted one of these ever since the week I bought my first pin, when I saw an A.G. Soccer-ball and A.G. USA Football in a Philadelphia collector's line-up (he was downsizing from 50+ pins, but his head-to-head pins were not for sale). So what pinball machines come to mind when you think of novelty pins? Also, what concerns would you have? Some the first things I think of are glitchiness (a la Baby Pacman), or potential difficulty finding parts due to limited production runs. Ideally, it would be nice if these pins are fun to play too, lol. Some of the specific novelty pins that I think of are:

-A.G. Soccer-Ball or A.G. USA Football - head to head concept is pretty cool

-Joust (pinball) - head to head, two player action, but with the Williams feel that I have come to like a lot

-Hercules - impressive size, but clunky and not particularly fun from what I'm told, though I have yet to personally try one

-Strikes 'N Spares - seems cheap and fairly easy to come by, despite relatively low production numbers, which reinforces that its best role is probably as one component of a larger collection

-Banzai Run - only reason I consider this a novelty is the flippers in the back box. I can't remember seeing one for sale for the past two years, though, so owners don't seem to want to let 'em go, which is a good sign for how much fun the game must be.

-Baby Pac-Man (already in my collection) - how can you beat combining one of the all-time greatest video games and pinball? People can't seem to help but exclaim, "Cool!!!" when they see it. Not known to be particularly reliable though, lol. Granny and the Gators doesn't have the appeal of a Pacman theme, but obviously deserves mention, since it shares the same platform.

I hesitate to add RFM and SWE1 to the list, although the Pinball 2000 format is a little bit of a novelty. Once again, guests who see my RFM are usually fascinated, and always want to give it a try. In fact, the machine usually remains on for the rest of the night ;D

Wizard of Oz and The Hobbit could almost be added as well, but that might be stretching things too far, since the only reason they come to mind is the presence of an LCD flatscreen in the back glass. In reality, this "novel" feature is really only a long overdue and logical progression from the DMDs that have remained in vogue for the prior 20+ years. So while these pins excite me, they probably do not truly fit the "novelty" genre I am intrigued by and focusing on in this thread.

What other novelty pinball machines am I missing? Also, please chime in with your experience with some of the pins mentioned above!

#2 11 years ago

Granny and the Gators.

Strange Science.

Shadow.

Varkon.

Sexy Girl.

Joust listed above.

Bromley Golfer.

Pitch and bat.

Puck bowler.

Big ball bowler.

Super Chexx.

Super mario mushroom world or Bell ringer.

Love or strength testers.

Mutoscope (pinups preferred)

If video games also 720 is a good one (skate or die) So is paperboy you just cannot emulate those games.

#3 11 years ago

Baby Pac man.

#4 11 years ago

Orbitor 1

#5 11 years ago

Hi Score Pool

Criss Cross Pop Up

#6 11 years ago

Circus

#7 11 years ago

I'm picking up one that I think of as an 'novelty' in a couple of weeks...

NBA Fast Break. I think the scoring sets it in that category.

#8 11 years ago

Time Warp - with its crazy curved flippers and demented artwork, it always trips up the "expert" players until they learn to use all that spin.

#9 11 years ago

Hyperball
Rapid Fire
Orbitor 1
Pinball Circus

#10 11 years ago

Safecracker - with it's board game style of play and it's unique small size . Plus it rewards you with a token .

#11 11 years ago

Orbitor, Hyperball, Spectrum...
Maybe a Blackwater 100.

I wouldn't recommend a Hercules. Apart from it's size it's just plain boring. After one or two games the enthusiasm fades.

#12 11 years ago

Safecracker
Orbitor 1
Banzai Run
Pin2k's
Still Crazy (does it even fit on this list?)
Pinball Circus

#13 11 years ago

I agree with the ones already listed so I'll just add:

Q*bert's Quest

#15 11 years ago

Slugfest maybe?

Actually I think Strikes and Spares could be pretty cool.

#16 11 years ago

Flipper Football

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Actually I think Strikes and Spares could be pretty cool.

It's an shuffle bowler for people without room for a shuffle bowler!

Maybe.....

#18 11 years ago

I have a slugfest and it is always a hit when my non pinball friends are over.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

I have a SlugFest and it is always a hit when my non pinball friends are over.

Yeah, my kids and their cousins enjoy a few head-to-head rounds on our old pitch-n-bat, but it certainly isn't 'hours' of fun. Great for gameplay variety though.

#20 11 years ago

smbmw and safecracker

#21 11 years ago

Jurassic Park is always a hit when the T-Rex eats the ball.

#22 11 years ago

I can tell you this, Joust (head to head) gets played more than anything else when I have friends over, whether pinheads or not.

#23 11 years ago

Already mentioned, but safecracker and banzai run

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Tomcat:

I wouldn't recommend a Hercules. Apart from it's size it's just plain boring. After one or two games the enthusiasm fades.

I've got to agree with Tomcat on Hercules. I remember Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio having one and playing it nearly 25 years ago. it was neat due to the massive size (and use of a pool ball), but didn't play all that great and we all moved onto other machines after a single play.

#25 11 years ago

Apollo 13

13 ball multiball is the definition of novelty

#26 11 years ago

Great suggestions! I'm liking Orbitor 1, Slugfest, Safe Cracker, and Apollo 13. I already wanted Joust and Banzai Run, and they still top my list of most wanted at this point. Super Mario Mushroom World would be cool to find, just because of growing up when the NES was all the rave, and since its size would allow me to tuck it into a nook that a full sized pin might not fit into.

Meanwhile it's pretty unanimous that Hercules is a title to avoid.

I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions as well, thanks and keep 'em coming!

#27 11 years ago

Class of 1812. Fun quirky game.
Al

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

I hesitate to add RFM and SWE1 to the list, although the Pinball 2000 format is a little bit of a novelty. Once again, guests who see my RFM are usually fascinated, and always want to give it a try. In fact, the machine usually remains on for the rest of the night ;D

I totally think it's a novelty. One that I want quite a bit too.

#29 11 years ago

Given that you own 17 pins, really odd ones such as Joust (would be my first choice by far) or Banzai Run would be welcome. BR is a bit overpriced. The vertical PF is unique... the regular one is... average at best. Be warned. Given your lineup, I would also consider a widebody from the 80's: Paragon, Embryon, Black Hole? Even if I hate it, Caveman would also be an interesting experience.

I envy you. With lots of space, you can really look for oddities.

By the way, there are great EM as well... some of them are truly enjoyable. Nothing beats chime's song and retro art. Find a good looking Centigrade 37 or Sky.line !

#30 11 years ago

Tommy "THE WHO" Pinball ... he sure plays a mean pinball !

7 months later
#31 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Hi Score Pool
Criss Cross Pop Up

Got a lot of games on Hi Score Pool yesterday at PHoF. Looks kind of dumb at first glance, but is a lot more challenging than you'd think it was.

#32 10 years ago

orbitor 1 is the best of all. Most inventive pinball ever produced. Least someone tried something new and thinking outside of the box.. Love it!

#33 10 years ago

Safe Cracker
Joust
RFM / SWE1 (Pinball 2000)

Honorable mention to Apollo 13 just because of the Multiball mode.

#34 10 years ago

W?D: working slot machine PF reels; gamble points on roulette.

#35 10 years ago

Any of the Cocktail Table Pins out there. They are a great novelty to add to any collection and can found at some pretty good prices. I own a Game Plan Star Trip and it's a great little pin!!

#36 10 years ago

As others have said Joust is a great novelty game. Wish I had one. It would get the restore treatment for sure.

Safecracker is great; the timed nature of the game makes it a lot less intimidating for newer players. My wife loves my Safecracker; it is her favorite game now.

The arcade style pins like the baby pac man (I think that is what it was called) and Varkon are cool too.

#37 10 years ago

Annointed,

Great collection you have assembled already, and you have one of the best wishlists of any Pinsider imho.

I see you have a '73 Gottlieb Hot Shot. Cool. One of my favorite e-m's from the 70's.

To me it seems like if you want to add some novelty to your pinball machine collection, you should add some Gottlieb e-m's from the 50's - 60's that have mechanical (or light) backbox/backglass animation.
Bally also had several from 60's to early 70's to consider also, as did Williams from 50's to early 70's.
In Mr Pinball - Pinball List & Price Guide, see feature code "A", and "$" for significantly collectable models.

For the early 80's era, I see you have BH & Spirit on your wishlist. Those both have great backglasses.

Have fun building & diversifying the collection.
Cheers!

#38 10 years ago

I built my collection as an exercise in diversity and novelty, focusing mostly on diversity - but I'm not done yet.

I think a diverse and novel collection needs a pitch-n-bat.
I think a diverse collection could use one of the cannon games like Hyperball.
I think a diverse collection has some games from every era, starting in the 40's up through today.
I think a diverse collection contains games from all the major designers.
I think a diverse collection contains playfields with as many different features and mechanics available to designers as possible. I'm still missing a 'spinning disc' pin, but I'm looking at a WCS94 tonight that will kind of fits that criteria.
Mostly, building a diverse collection requires a bit of thought, IMO.

#40 10 years ago

I also saw Varkon mentioned. Thats a true novelty pin, and it still freaks me out every-time I play it. Love, Love it!

#41 10 years ago

Baby Pac-Man (I own one)
Granny and Gators (Not a fan)
USA Football (My son and I could play for hours)
Safe Cracker

#42 10 years ago

I saw a very weird pin at the most recent louisville Show, but I don't recall the name. It looked like an upright arcade machine, but had a small reversed pinball playfield in it, and a mirror to make it look like you were viewing a video screen. It was really neat- anyone know what I'm talking about?

#43 10 years ago

Hercules is just eye candy. The game is super slow, and the flippers have a hard time getting the pool ball around the table. I have played a few different ones and they just are ehh at best.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I saw a very weird pin at the most recent louisville Show, but I don't recall the name. It looked like an upright arcade machine, but had a small reversed pinball playfield in it, and a mirror to make it look like you were viewing a video screen. It was really neat- anyone know what I'm talking about?

Williams Varkon

#45 10 years ago

I have to agree with Who Dunnit, it's very different from most pins I have ever played. Nice change of pace type game.

#46 10 years ago

MM. Trolls and a castle gets my vote.

#47 10 years ago

Allied Leisure Sea Hunt or Spooksville. Gtb. Challenger.

#48 10 years ago

A LOT of these games people are listed I would not consider novelty games at all.

W?D, JP, MM, AP13 are NOT novelty pins. They may have unique toys or a huge MB count, but I do not consider that making a novelty pin. (If it did, games like, FH, RS, PM would be included too, and I doubt anyone would consider any of those a novelty pin.)

#49 10 years ago

Cool thread. Need to find some of these to try.

#50 10 years ago

Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH has TWO Hercules machines. At least they did when I was there last year. It's cool to play, but not especially fun. Definitely a bucket-list pin though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-novelty-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.