(Topic ID: 76480)

Best Gottlieb Multiplayers of the seventies?

By Mercury

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KingKoolMagicE 030.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 028.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 006.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 005.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 004.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 003.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 002.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 001.jpg
FarOutSept06 018.jpg
FarOutPFclean 012.jpg
FarOutPFclean 007.jpg
FarOutPFclean 003.jpg
FarOutSept06 030.jpg
P1040717.JPG
P1010886.JPG
100_5535.JPG

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I need some opinions on what are the best Gottlieb Multiplayers from the 1970's....I think Big Indian,Fast draw

and Sheriff are good...Wonder what you all think and in what order? Thanks

#2 10 years ago

How about target alpha? Beautiful artwork and challenging layout with lots of drop targets.

#3 10 years ago

Well, that's pretty much where I would be.

Fast Draw/Quick Draw
Jack in the Box/Jumping Jack
Sheriff/Lawman
Jungle Queen/Jungle Princess
Big Indian/Big Brave
Big Shot/Hot Shot

Personally, I don't care much for Royal Flush or Surf Champ. And, while I love El Dorado, I don't much care for Target Alpha.

#4 10 years ago

Royal flush / Card whiz

#5 10 years ago

Quick Draw / Fast Draw

So much fun that you almost forget that it's a multi-player!

- Tim

#6 10 years ago

Royal Flush/Card Whiz
Jack In The Box/Jumping Jack
Target Alpha/Solar City

There is a reason they did several thousand of these. They did very well on location.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

There is a reason they did several thousand of these. They did very well on location.

Yes there was.

Another great one:

1975 Gottlieb "Spirit of 76". 10,300 units made. The best Bicentennial themed pinball all around IMHO.

Ken

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Well, that's pretty much where I would be.
Fast Draw/Quick Draw
Jack in the Box/Jumping Jack
Sheriff/Lawman
Jungle Queen/Jungle Princess
Big Indian/Big Brave
Big Shot/Hot Shot
Personally, I don't care much for Royal Flush or Surf Champ. And, while I love El Dorado, I don't much care for Target Alpha.

i agree with catus but add top score/300 and super spin/jet spin
and remove big shot/hot shot

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i agree with catus but add top score/300 and super spin/jet spinand remove big shot/hot shot

Yes, I was on the fence on both of those titles. I almost added 300, and left off Hot Shot.

I very much like 300 and own one in excellent condition. I don't have a Super Soccer so I am not sure if I would ultimately prefer it over 300. Every Super Soccer / Soccer I have come across has had a bad backglass. I do like the almost impossible to get but "Easy to Light" special feature on both of them. And the Delayed Mystery Scoring. But I like the Ski Slalom of 300 better than the double spinners SS.

As to Hot Shot, I have a project game (NOS Playfield) and have put some time on the title each year at PPE. I am still not sure if its everything I believe it to be from playing it in the 70's. But I am a Drop Target guy and you would think it couldn't go wrong with all those drops. With the Clear Coated NOS playfield, I don't see how I would ever sell it once I put it all together.

Drop Targets are one of the Reasons I included Jungle Queen but left out Super Spin. Not a big fan of Roto Units when they aren't an big part of the rule set (like on Grand Slam, or the 1 through 7 Number games).

#10 10 years ago

All of the above plus Surfer/Surf Champ.

#11 10 years ago

I would add Super Spin/Jet Spin which has a tremendous feel and great gameplay.

#12 10 years ago

Quick Draw, Fast Draw
Royal Flush
Target Alpha, Solar City
Jack in the Box, Jumping Jack
Jet Spin, Super Spin
Sheriff, Lawman

#13 10 years ago

Not really crazy about "Target Alpha". I've had both "Sheriff" and "Lawman". Don't really care for "Atlantis", and these two are similar. "Jet Spin" is pretty good. That instant special for crushing the vari-target has to be one of the toughest shots in all of pinball. "JITB"/"JJ" are good as well. Had a "Bronco" but it was boring. "Royal Flush" can be a very frustrating game, but challenging. "QD"/"FD" are lots of fun. Not really crazy about "So'76" or it's relatives. I have to give "Surfer" or "Surf Champ" another try when I come across one. Remember playing it back in the day, but don't recall anything special about it.

#14 10 years ago

oh yeah Big Indian great 4 player

#15 10 years ago

I have kind of a soft spot for Jet Spin. I had been out of the hobby for a long, long time when I ran across one in an arcade in Hoover AL while I was killing time one day in 2010. I never really was all that interested in the later SS/DMD games, I didn't play much pinball after about 1985. I really lost touch with it and even though I still owned one game it was stored and hadn't been played in a long, long time. I didn't know that anyone even still had any interest in EMs or that forums like this existed. Or, that parts were even still available.

So I spent probably 5 hours playing that Jet Spin and it was like I'd never been away. I talked to the kid at the counter and he told me that there were tons of people still interested in EMs, told me about Steve Young. I came home, set my game up, got parts from Steve and got it running again. That led to another game, and another, and another...we all know the drill.

I've owned two Gottlieb multiplayers since then. Surf Champ, which I sold a couple years ago, and Big Indian, which I own now. I'd say BI is a slightly better player, and also easier to maintain due to the lack of the Ax/Bx nonsense. Surf Champ is pretty good, though, with the drops roughly in the same places as BI has them, the spinner, and the kickout hole.

I also like Hot Shot, Jumping Jack and Target Alpha ok. If we weren't limited to Gottlieb, I'd easily take Space Mission and Grand Prix. Great players

#16 10 years ago

Outer Space is a challenging one,try hitting the Vari-target and not lose the ball down the left outlane tests my patience ,but when you get a dead on hit it will give you 5000 points and when the special is lit on it you get a replay.
Spinning target racks up some points with Superlube on the pivots, plus a ball return gate on the right outlane opens after rolling down the left flipper lane. Addictive to say the least.
If you ever get to play an OS you wont be disappointed.

#17 10 years ago

I like pinballs with drop targets

My favorite in my collection :

Surf Champ
Vulcan
Jungle Queen
Sinbad
Close Encounters

#18 10 years ago

P1010886.JPGP1010886.JPG

100_5535.JPG100_5535.JPG

P1040717.JPGP1040717.JPG

#19 10 years ago

Royal Flush/Card Whiz is an awesome game, I'd have to put it at the top of my list. Recently saw a Jet Spin for the first time, I'm intrigued by what I saw, looking forward to playing it more. I had a Jungle Queen, but it just didn't have the lastability that RF does.

Of course the EM versions of Sinbad and Joker Poker are right up there as well.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Royal Flush/Card Whiz is an awesome game.

I agree with you, but once the drop targets are shot, it's a total boredom... (like Target Alpha/Canada Dry anyway).

I modified my Royal Flush with :

1/ Drop targets reset during play
2/ Double bonus with game action on 1st and 2nd ball (automatic in 3rd ball)
3/ Extra ball

My game is another game, much better than before, now !!!!

You can see the process to modify (in French), here (I Can send a topic on Pinside in English, if Pinsiders want, tell me know) :

http://www.retro-flip.com/t3565-REMONTER-LES-CIBLES-DU-ROYAL-FLUSH-AVEC-DECOMPTE-DE-BONUS.htm

http://www.retro-flip.com/t4005-ROYAL-FLUSH-OBTENTION-du-DOUBLE-BONUS-par-une-ACTION-DE-JEU.htm#p40560

#21 10 years ago

Quick draw and lawman are great machines. Can't go wrong with either one.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

I agree with you, but once the drop targets are shot, it's a total boredom... (like Target Alpha/Canada Dry anyway).
I modified my Royal Flush with :
1/ Drop targets reset during play2/ Double bonus with game action on 1st and 2nd ball (automatic in 3rd ball)3/ Extra ball
My game is another game, much better than before, now !!!!
You can see the process to modify (in French), here (I Can send a topic on Pinside in English, if Pinsiders want, tell me know) :
http://www.retro-flip.com/t3565-REMONTER-LES-CIBLES-DU-ROYAL-FLUSH-AVEC-DECOMPTE-DE-BONUS.htm
http://www.retro-flip.com/t4005-ROYAL-FLUSH-OBTENTION-du-DOUBLE-BONUS-par-une-ACTION-DE-JEU.htm#p40560

Exactly! Once the targets are down, there is nothing to do but slam away at the 3000 point target. And once the replays are won, it takes a long time to loop around to 3 more replays.

Nice collection of very late model Gottlieb EMs!

I would like to see the modification to your Royal Flush in English. I think others might want to try it some day.

#23 10 years ago

I have a Big Indian that I can sell cheap. It needs to be shopped, but Playfield and Backglass are nice. No broken plastics. $600 firm to Pinsiders

#24 10 years ago

Here is my 73 Roller Coaster:

DSC00103-1.jpgDSC00103-1.jpg
DSC00106-1.jpgDSC00106-1.jpg

#25 10 years ago

Jack in the Box is another good player,but Jet Spin has it all.

#26 10 years ago

Pins 2001 SB JS 039.jpgPins 2001 SB JS 039.jpgJS LL SAC 067.jpgJS LL SAC 067.jpgJet Spin is a good choice for a Gottlieb multi-player. It has a roto-spin unit,kick out hole,vari-target,bonus unit,skillshot stand up target,ball return flipper lanes,extra ball and specials. Cabinet artwork matches playfield and backglass artwork and the coloring is my favorite. Fun to play, but challenges the player. I had one of the nicest ones i've seen.

I sold this game to a close friend who just lives 2 miles from my home. Maybe it is time to buy it back.

pins JS SP  055-552.jpgpins JS SP 055-552.jpgPINS jET sPIN floor shot full 162-737.jpgPINS jET sPIN floor shot full 162-737.jpg[attachment=1370568,null]jet spin 001-215.jpgjet spin 001-215.jpgjet spin 002-967.jpgjet spin 002-967.jpgjet spin 004-790.jpgjet spin 004-790.jpgjet spin 003-717.jpgjet spin 003-717.jpg

Pins Jet Spin 010-416.jpgPins Jet Spin 010-416.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Joker Poker Rare in EM, great game though
Royal Flush Legitimate EM, not produced in SS. Poor mans Joker Poker/Jacks Open. Great game.
Big Indian Most underrated game of all time
Spirit of 76 Another underrated game
Target Alpha Don't lie - how often do you REALLY knock down ALL the targets?
Fast Draw Among the most overrated games of all time
Sheriff Another Fast Draw
Cleopatra Starting to reach
Jack In The Box Another overrated game. Hate the pops.
Hot Shot Had one, couldn't wait to sell it.

#28 10 years ago

I don't know if anyone has mention 300 or Top Score. I thought it was fun with an interesting layout.

#29 10 years ago

EM: 300
SS: Genie

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

So76 is a very cool game, but if you've had one in your collection for a while, it does get easy. I'd like to trade it but the wife won't let that happen. It's is a very cool table design.

Cleopatra on the other hand...she's tough. I've said this many times before, it's a shooters pin. The speed of this table is incredible. Make a mistake and you will drain, Cleopatra will treat you like a slave building the pyramids! And this is why people don't like it. This table never gets old to me because it's so challenging.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Royal Flush Legitimate EM, not produced in SS. Poor mans Joker Poker/Jacks Open. Great game.

No love for JITB or JJ? - send them my way Todd!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I'm with you. I have to laugh every time I see someone say they are overrated. Perhaps they haven't played a nice one. Someone here complained about the lower pops. Personally, I love them. I almost never lose a ball down the sides. Fresh Rubber rings, sensitive skirts, and a good coat of wax, and you get good action down there. And a perfect game to learn how to "wiggle" an already "Gone" ball out of the lane (without tilting, of course).

Just sad that Gottlieb didn't make a single player of it (I know the multiplayer rule set wouldn't transfer well). Of course, King Pin is the closest thing to it which is probably why I like it too so much. But those side drains are Brutal!!!! Of course, I also like Bally's Air Aces as well as Spanish Eyes and Old Chicago (lower bumpers).

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

What are these 2 titles ? I'm not very well versed in EM's yet

#34 10 years ago

Jack in the Box or Jumping Jack.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I would if I had one, but I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on one if it were on fire.

Quoted from CactusJack:

I'm with you. I have to laugh every time I see someone say they are overrated. Perhaps they haven't played a nice one. Someone here complained about the lower pops.

I have probably played a half dozen in the last five years, including Clays. It just doesn't get it for me. I have had opportunities to buy these cheap and turned them down. But different strokes for different folks I guess. Sort of like arguing about your favorite color at some level. 'What!! You don't like BLUE, are you crazy". I also know I'm an oddball with my affection for Big Indian.

Honestly, when you get past Target Alpha, I probably wouldn't bother unless it was free or close. I vastly prefer single players, so it comes down to real estate for me anyway.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I would if I had one, but I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on one if it were on fire.

Hey! The use of WD40 is another thread!!!!

#37 10 years ago

More love for Jumping Jack and Jack in the Box from me

JITB was the first game I ever owned (back in 1983). I have JJ now but it still doesn't get old. Whack the targets down, collect bonus, try and time the last target to get an extra ball. Make sure you get 10x lit. That's the game, pure and simple. It has all the essentials for me in an older game:
- drop targets that reset when completed
- extra balls
- ability to collect bonus during ball in play

As previously mentioned those lower pops have to be nice and sensitive to give you a chance. A well timed nudge is enough to get the ball bouncing around on my game and out of trouble on most occasions.

BG also has one of the highest boob counts in pinball.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

More love for Jumping Jack and Jack in the Box from me
BG also has one of the highest boob counts in pinball.

Too bad it's not animated.....

#39 10 years ago

-Eye of the Tiger/ Sinbad
-Royal Flush/ Card Whiz
-Target Alpha/ Solar City

I have yet to play a Joker Poker or a Jack in the Box, but I'd love to someday.

#40 10 years ago

Jack in the Box is fun! If you don't like Jack in the Box then you will hate Abra-Ca-Dabra and King-Pin

#41 10 years ago

Also worth noting are bronco/mustang, far out/outa site, and duotron/ magnatron.

#42 10 years ago

I had a Far Out and enjoyed the game play.Nice backglass artwork too.It has the ball kicker gate and gate open side outs.See last picture.

FarOutSept06 018.jpgFarOutSept06 018.jpgFarOutSept06 030.jpgFarOutSept06 030.jpgFarOutPFclean 012.jpgFarOutPFclean 012.jpgFarOutPFclean 007.jpgFarOutPFclean 007.jpgFarOutPFclean 003.jpgFarOutPFclean 003.jpg

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

It has a roto-spin unit,kick out hole,vari-target,bonus unit,skillshot stand up target,ball return flipper lanes,extra ball and specials.

Gottlieb went all out on that one.
Was that the only showing of the roto-target and the vari-target together?

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Not Sure.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I had a Far Out

Love the artwork on that.

#46 10 years ago

I had a nice Out of Sight - Far Outs 2 player version. Suffers from the "what to shoot for when all the drops are down" syndrome. Sold it to someone in Calgary...

#47 10 years ago

Favorites are JITB and QD.

Owned a JITB and still miss it. I had bridge rectifiers on the pops and they were blazing fast. Really made the game fun with some amazing saves needed as the pops shot the ball past the flippers. Also liked ability to earn free games or shoot again. Really fun game to watch others play.

Currently own a QD and like the top-to-bottom action and relatively 'deeper' rules for a multi-player. Can attack it a number of different ways. Resetting center targets provides that same rush that that bottom pops do on JITB.

My first game was a Royal Flush and while I really wanted to like it (great theme and artwork, nice variety of playfield toys, etc.) I just never really warmed up to it. Came to realize I really like pop-bumpers for the action they add to a game. It's a good one but I didn't have enough space to keep it along with other games I wanted.

Never played a Joker Poker but I would like to.

Did not like Duotron.

Played Jet Spin once and I really did like it but not enough time on it to have an informed opinion.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

That Jet Spin looks like a lot of fun.

#49 10 years ago

Here's some pic's of my King Kool i use to have. Fun player with the 4 flipper arrangement.Nice artwork too.

KingKoolMagicE 003.jpgKingKoolMagicE 003.jpgKingKoolMagicE 002.jpgKingKoolMagicE 002.jpgKingKoolMagicE 001.jpgKingKoolMagicE 001.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 004.jpgKingKoolMagicE 004.jpgKingKoolMagicE 005.jpgKingKoolMagicE 005.jpgKingKoolMagicE 006.jpgKingKoolMagicE 006.jpg
KingKoolMagicE 028.jpgKingKoolMagicE 028.jpgKingKoolMagicE 030.jpgKingKoolMagicE 030.jpg

#50 10 years ago

Joker Poker and Solar City. But why are we only including Gottliebs here?
I would put Fireball up there with any of them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Wanted
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-gottlieb-multiplayers-of-the-seventies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.