Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-04-07-20.26.01.jpg
    20130308_220314.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

we all know that the alkaline batteries that most people use in their pinball machine AA battery holders have a tendency to leak after a while and cause havoc to the board. i was thinking with modern battery technology being what it is, why do we have to use alkaline batteries. has anyone thought of using NMHI batteries, specifically LSD (low self discharge)? i have read that NMHI batteries are more of a dry type of cell and that they will not damage the board if they fail. i ask this question because my data east WWF still has the battery holder mounted on the board. right now it has alkaline batteries, and while they are fairly new, the still pose potential problems in the future if not changed out in time. from what i have read NMHI LSD batteries hold their charge for nearly a year. i have one in my clock out in garage and after months its still ticking away. i personally do not like using alkaline batteries and i know what the potentail problems this can cause.

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

we all know that the alkaline batteries that most people use in their pinball machine AA battery holders have a tendency to leak after a while and cause havoc to the board. i was thinking with modern battery technology being what it is, why do we have to use alkaline batteries. has anyone thought of using NMHI batteries, specifically LSD (low self discharge)? i have read that NMHI batteries are more of a dry type of cell and that they will not damage the board if they fail. i ask this question because my data east WWF still has the battery holder mounted on the board. right now it has alkaline batteries, and while they are fairly new, the still pose potential problems in the future if not changed out in time. from what i have read NMHI LSD batteries hold their charge for nearly a year. i have one in my clock out in garage and after months its still ticking away. i personally do not like using alkaline batteries and i know what the potentail problems this can cause.

It's still a battery, why not just skip the batteries altogether and use memory capacitors or NVRAM?

#3 10 years ago

Buy a remote battery holder and velcro it to the inside of the head "off the board". Use lithium batteries instead of alkaline, they're more pricy, but are a much better battery. Or do what wayout440 suggested and go with the NVRAM.

#4 10 years ago

i live on the wild side .. i use the proper battery holder and the proper batteries in everything.

#5 10 years ago

Bought my South Park machine in January from Cali. First thing I did was replace the batteries. Thank God they hadn't leaked and caused damage. They were 6 years past their expiration date! I will change all my batteries once a year like I do with the smoke detectors. Best thing you can do and the cheapest damage preventative in pinball.

#6 10 years ago

yeah thats it .. you maintain your stuff every year and you dont need hacks then.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

yeah thats it .. you maintain your stuff every year and you dont need hacks then.

I would not consider a memory cap or NVRAM a hack, I consider those an upgrade. Not only do you not have to worry about scheduling to replace batteries, you also save money. The day you have a defective battery leak prematurely is the day you'll wish you had done that "hack".

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

all batteries have the potential to leak and cause damage... there's no real good reason to "not like alkaline batteries"...

either:

- regularly change them...
    or
    - get them off the board with a remote battery holder...
    or
    - install nvram and never worry again...

#9 10 years ago

what's nvram and how do i install it? is that non-volatile ram, as in ram that stores the data even with the power removed? how hard are they to install, anything like a PC where you simply remove a memory module from the socket and install and new module in the socket?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

what's nvram and how do i install it? is that non-volatile ram, as in ram that stores the data even with the power removed? how hard are they to install, anything like a PC where you simply remove a memory module from the socket and install and new module in the socket?

www.LockWhenLit.com/anyPin.htm

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

live on the wild side .. i use the proper battery holder and the proper batteries in everything.

I just had battery issue. Williams Big guns. I looked at sticker installed Oct 2013.
    I just had D2 go bad open. Two things I thought, well good thing it died open as if shorted those batteries would have made a big mess in no time, second I am glad i had already put a holder in with an extra blocking diode(which i had forgotten about). So no chance of board getting messed up. D2 already bad board out, so i changed to super cap. Sorry but no way would I do NVram to much $. It is like LED never recoup what you invest.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

...Sorry but no way would I do NVram to much $. It is like LED never recoup what you invest.

Three AA batteries once a year for 15 years... ~$3x15=$45
    One anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator... =$40

Sorry, math proves you wrong.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#13 10 years ago

Assuming you change them every year,, but yeah,,, you can change them every 6 months and still have one leak, or you can not change them for 4 years and never leak... Batteries just suck.

In all my machines I go with remote battery holders I wire in for cheap, although on machines I never want to open up again, I put in NVrams. I've been using them more and more because I only want to f' with the MPU once.

Some machines like Williams System 11b/c's are a bit of a pain in the arse because you need to desolder/solder in a socket on a board that has rat hair for etches. But others like your WWF I believe are already on sockets so its almost a no brainer to use an NVram solution. I picked up some of Pintech's 6116's for I think under $25 each in quantity. (I think parts alone at Rat Shack cost me $10 to make remote battery holders, plus the cost of batteries).

#14 10 years ago

IMO, the important thing is to get the batteries off the board, regardless of what method you choose.

$45 for a NVRAM is still cheaper than 1 corrosion repair.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

This doesn't even account for inflation, Rob. in 15 years you ain't paying $3 for 3 AA's anymore. Gonna be at PatZ? Bring eliminators, I'll take a couple.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

One anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator... =$40

Sorry, math proves you wrong.

I was going off 30 for a NVmodule LOL.

Uhm try .35 / battery x3 = 1.05 you can change them every year as good habbit plus 2.00 holder.
    So 25 plus years till any savings seen. And you know that every 2 years is fine with regular batteries.

Sorry but 3.50 cap still the next better option. Good thing I have my hip boots on.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

This doesn't even account for inflation, Rob. in 15 years you ain't paying $3 for 3 AA's anymore. Gonna be at PatZ? Bring eliminators, I'll take a couple.

Haven't talked with Kevin yet about being at PatZ (I know we're getting close, just been swamped). If I'm there, I'll certainly have anyPin available.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I was going off 30 for a NVmodule LOL.
    Uhm try .35 / battery x3 = 1.05 you can change them every year as good habbit plus 2.00 holder.
    So 25 plus years till any savings seen. And you know that every 2 years is fine with regular batteries.
    Sorry but 3.50 cap still the next better option. Good thing I have my hip boots on.

You can plug in various numbers anywhere you'd like in the equation, the fact remains, that in the long run (maybe too long for some), NVRAM *will* pay for itself over time on savings when compared to buying batteries. anyPin NVRAM is a one time cost, done, that's it, no more changing batteries, pulling the board, nothing, you're finished for your lifetime.

Batteries are a recurring cost every year (or however long you decide is worth the risk). Caps are a recurring cost as well, they won't last as long as NVRAM, and then there's the cost/time/hassle of pulling the board out to install the cap. Not to mention a lot of modern games don't do well with memory caps.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#20 10 years ago

I've had batteries leak 2 months after installation.

Whatever method you choose, get the batteries off your board!!!!!!!!!

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

A well-done remote holder can be removed without a trace and nobody would ever notice.

So, if you want to call it a 'hack', call it an easily reversible one!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

A well-done remote holder can be removed without a trace and nobody would ever notice.
    So, if you want to call it a 'hack', call it an easily reversible one!

No good hacks are easily reversible! =P

I like to use a 4pin .100" header pin and friction lock connector when doing a AA in a remote holder. That way you can have the PCB with no wires dangling around. I think that is the least hacky way to do a remote.

In this picture you can also see the rechargeable battery used in a remote fashion. I don't do this, but a lot of people did in the past. That is an acceptable method as well. Put it in a bag so when it does start to leak, it is contained somewhat.

20130308_220314.jpg20130308_220314.jpg

Important part is just getting the battery off of the computer board. Many good options for doing so depending on your skill level at soldering, style preference, price point etc...

#23 10 years ago

I love my NVRAM. Replaced the 6116 chip with it on my Bally 6803 board. Cost $25 or $30 I believe. Now I never have to worry again. Well worth the investment for a machine that you want to last.

#24 10 years ago

Rob, this may sound really trivial, and I don't mean to offend in any way, but does your adapter come in green?

#25 10 years ago

anyPin is purple. There are green alternatives that work just as well

I still have a few DIP 28 nvrams that I'm keeping for my own personal use. They are black and blend in well.

WPC-s can be set up with remote holders pretty easily by using the battery board header on the CPU. WPC-95 has pads to add one as well!

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Rob, this may sound really trivial, and I don't mean to offend in any way, but does your adapter come in green?

If you really want a green version, yes I can hook you up.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

If you really want a green version, yes I can hook you up.

2014-04-07-20.26.01.jpg2014-04-07-20.26.01.jpg

1 week later
    #28 10 years ago

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312389-do-NiMH-batteries-leak-like-Alkaline-batteries

this thread states that NMHI are an electrolyte starved design and alkaline batteries are saturated electrolyte design. while i agree that removing the batteries from the board is probably the best course of action i think that a low self discharge NMHI battery is probably a safer bet then alkaline batteries. besides low self discharge NMHI batteries are only going to hold their charge for a year which would remind you that it's time to change the batteries. you could at that point rotate in a fresh set and then recharge and reuse the old batteries in a different device. who cares if they fail in a tv remote

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

only going to hold their charge for a year which would remind you that it's time to change the batteries.

So you just want to lose all your settings and scores to notify you that it is time to change the batteries?

NIMH batteries cost an average of 2 1/2 times more than alkaline. Why not invest in a non-battery solution?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-holder-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.