(Topic ID: 52095)

Bally - City Slickers - Dead game

By DallasPinball

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a Bally City Slickers that died at the 2012 TPF and is finally back on my list of projects to repair finally. During teardown I discovered that the wires going to the speakers had shifted position at the last second and been crushed on the metal vent grill as the head was put upright during setup. During the setup prior to the show when the game was originally powered on it appeared to start normally. But when I went to play test it, it would not start a game and was acting weird. I powered it off and back on again and all I get is the lower right diagonal segment lit in each character of both displays and the game no longer boots. During my troubleshooting as the show was about to start, I could not find anything burned or blown. I ended up swapping my spare 6803 MPU board into the game and it failed the same way as the original.

I have repaired the damaged wires where they were crushed. I figure I probably have damaged my audio board and likely the PIA or something else on the MPU boards. I will repair the two dead MPU boards or send them off to Borygard who has a test figure for 6803 and let him do the repair work. I have one more NOS spare 6803 MPU board in my parts cabinet that I am willing to try once I think everything else is okay.

Any ideas as to what may have been damaged by the audio output getting shorted? The game is not the greatest but is different and I really want to get it back up and running again.

Thanks!

-- Shawn

#2 10 years ago

Check the fuses first. Next look for +5v, +12v, and this game like the earlier bally games need solenoid voltage for zero crossing. So make also sure the MPU gets 43v/21.5v whatever the 6803 MPU uses. If those are good, power up and watch to flashes on the MPU. Is the diag LED locked on?? If it does it flash, how many times?

Assuming the speaker wire just shorted to ground, i would assume at worse you damaged the amplification section on the sound board.

#3 10 years ago

I will check the fuses, voltages and see how many flashes it is getting. I honestly have not looked at it in months and was wanting to tackle getting it back running again this summer. I will see if I can move the half dozen pins stored in front of it and pull it out to check it out this weekend... Thanks for the tip on the solenoid voltage. City Slicker is parked in front of Al's Garage Band Goes on a World Tour that I am also hoping to resolve the flaky audio issues.

-- Shawn

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-city-slickers-dead-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.