(Topic ID: 80012)

Backbox Lighting Tip: 7 -- it's a magic number !

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201402-BK-better-lighting.jpg
201402-BK-9-bulbs-no-glare2.jpg
201402-BK-9-bulbs1.jpg
201402-BK-9-bulbs-no-glare.jpg
#1 10 years ago

CaptainNeo,

I blame this experience on you...

I opened up my 1980 Williams Black Knight, and saw it had my "best shot" at a lighting upgrade from how it came from the previous owner. (It once had 30+ 44's in the backbox.) I had left all the bulbs for "BLACK KNIGHT" at the top as 44's and the rest of the backbox was 47's. I put the controlled callouts like "tilt" "extra ball" etc in 44s.

I decided to try out CaptainNeo's recommendation to go with only 7 bulbs in the backbox.

1) I removed all bulbs minus the controlled bulbs in the callout boxes (tilt, extra ball, etc.)
2) I started adding in 47's one at a time, thinking about two main ideas:

A) When I stand and play, where is my focus? Is there any reflection when I focus on those spots?
B) What part of the backbox artwork do I want to accent? What lights the scene the best?

I stopped at 9 bulbs. 3 of the bulbs -- I colored the tips in black with a sharpie to quiet them down a bit.

Let's just say, I feel like CaptainNeo shipped me a brand new BK to play. I've never seen my game before. It's been doused in non-stop glare.

I can't wait to take this approach to all of my games. Start with 0 bulbs, and work up, instead of working down from 30-45 bulbs...

Thank you CaptainNeo!!!
You are a f***ing genius.
-mof

201402-BK-9-bulbs1.jpg201402-BK-9-bulbs1.jpg201402-BK-better-lighting.jpg201402-BK-better-lighting.jpg
201402-BK-9-bulbs-no-glare2.jpg201402-BK-9-bulbs-no-glare2.jpg201402-BK-9-bulbs-no-glare.jpg201402-BK-9-bulbs-no-glare.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Nice work Mof,
I'm going to try it out on my BK now, may try 7/9 warm white Leds also

#3 10 years ago

I checked all the rest of my pins, and the glare occurs always in the upper PF, and it's games with upper and lower playfields that suffer most from this (GL and BK)...

Space Shuttle needs a little more of a backbox bulb enema, otherwise I'm good...
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-lighting-tip-7-its-a-magic-number and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.