image.jpg
image-752.jpg
image.jpg
20140227_143709.jpg
1394732933684.jpg
1922171_10151868772202396_688284837_n (1).jpg
IMG_6858.JPG
IMG_6855.JPG
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hello, just picked up a bttf machine yesterday and have a few issues I'm dealing with.

My main problem is Multiball...it's not working. When I drop the 3 bank targets down they will not pop back up again until the ball goes down the drain and a new one is ready to plunge. Only at that time will they pop back up, after I drop the targets and shot to lock the ball it will not lock. The ball will shoot up like it's supposed to and stops at the lock but it doesn't stay locked. I have a video of it to show what's happening. Video to be posted very soon! Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Here are 2 short videos, it has a bit of glare where the drop targets are so let me know if it's a problem seeing them. I'll have to retake a video with the glass on it. Thanks!

#3 10 years ago

A bunch of lights are out, playfield is pretty dirty and I have a lot of work ahead of me. Half the back box lights are out on top LH side, a bunch of lights out on playfield which I believe are just burned out, I hope! Machine is nice for what it is. It was built in August 1990 and sold to a private home in early 1995 and has been in the same exact spot since then until yesterday.

I know it's not everyone's favorite machine but this thing is cool and my 5 year old loves it! Lol

#4 10 years ago

I cant see from the angle but it appears your drop target switches aren't working. There should be lights that are all lit and go out as each of the targets drop. After the last target drops doc says "come back with me" then the "back" light will light under the vertical upkick wireform ramp. If the game isnt seeing the drop targets fall then the sequence wont happen. Make sure they are connected and the switches are clean.

If you are still having problems, maybe another video from above the playfield would be more helpful.

#5 10 years ago

Weirdest thing...now that we've played the machine since last night and this morning the machine is now dropping and popping targets up and down like it's supposed to and now locking balls and giving me Multiball! I guess it just needed to be played and freed up a little. Now on to the lights...

#6 10 years ago

Here's some pics of the machine...

image-537.jpgimage-537.jpgimage-202.jpgimage-202.jpgimage-908.jpgimage-908.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-105.jpgimage-105.jpgimage-97.jpgimage-97.jpg

#7 10 years ago

I just bought one of these last week from a seller here on Pinside. I bought it only for the collectibility of the movie memorabilia, but I'm finding that this game is FREAKIN' HARD! I rarely score above 2 million and my high score to date is only 5 mil.

#8 10 years ago

Looks better than my bttf I just bought a week ago. Paid 400 for mine. I have a burnt board but it does turn on and play a game.

#9 10 years ago

Yeah this machine is hard to come by, for what I got it for and what I want to do to it I'm sure I paid too much. But I like it and love the theme and movies as does my 5 year old so it's worth it's seeing him light up and get excited every time he plays it!

Wow, for $400! You can't beat that man. I'll have to take some pics of the boards, they are just beautiful. It looked like a new machine back there, it was nuts to see it so nice and clean.

I really like it I have to find out why a lot of my lights are out though. I started taking out bulbs that did work and replaced them with the bummed bulbs and still nothing. There bulbs in the back box and playfield like that. It's on the LH top of the back box and some of the RH side bulbs that are out, like I said switching non lit bulbs with working ones did nothing. It's pretty weird...

#10 10 years ago

Those old bayonets suck. Try to twist them. If the leads move chances are they are not making a good connection. I did that to a few of mine and the bulbs started working again.

#11 10 years ago

I'd suggest checking the fuses and replacing those. I had similar issue with my T2 and there was a burnt fuse. I couldn't tell by looking at it, but when I replaced, everything worked fine.

#12 10 years ago

I'll have to check that out. The previous owner had no idea the back glass even came out! It was a home use machine since 95 and been played here and there and never cleaned or maintained. I'm surprised it's still in a really nice condition that it's in. So I hope it may be as easy as some blown fuses!

#13 10 years ago

If everything else works, then 90% of the time, it's a blown fuse causing the lights to go out.

#14 10 years ago

Sweet, I hope so! Now I got to get in the manual and get all the correct fuses it calls for and I'll just go ahead and replace them all for the sake of it.

No one has the fuse kits in stock so I'll see what I need and build my own. I sure hope it works! Fingers crossed.

#15 10 years ago

Just ordered everything I will need, I hope! New rubbers, LED's, fuses, shooter rod springs, balls, plastic and playfield cleaners and wax. Can't wait to get started!

#16 10 years ago

I noticed that the red light in front of your cab is on. Go through your diagnostic menu, that light means something is wrong with the game. Could be related to the drop target issue you were having, could be the lights, not entirely sure but if you run a search on DE cabs from this era you'll find a thread about it. Good luck and congrats! Have fun with it!

#17 10 years ago

If replacing the fuse doesn't work, check your GI connector in the back box. When I got my Baywatch it had the same lighting issues, and it was because the connector burnt/melted. Had to replace the board header pins and connector.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

I noticed that the red light in front of your cab is on. Go through your diagnostic menu, that light means something is wrong with the game. Could be related to the drop target issue you were having, could be the lights, not entirely sure but if you run a search on DE cabs from this era you'll find a thread about it. Good luck and congrats! Have fun with it!

Interesting! I just got my Back to the Future and was wondering what the red and green lights were on the front of the cab.

#19 10 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments, very much appreciated. I never even noticed the light before in being something wrong with it, I thought it was supposed to be like that! Lol

#20 10 years ago

As a quick side note, I have a tread open but no one has replied so let me try here...

How do the serial numbers work on data east machine or BTTF specifically? My serial is 010 30026, they made 3000 so where would mine fall into build order? It was built in August of 1990.

Thanks!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from The-koontz:

As a quick side note, I have a tread open but no one has replied so let me try here...
How do the serial numbers work on data east machine or BTTF specifically? My serial is 010 30026, they made 3000 so where would mine fall into build order? It was built in August of 1990.
Thanks!

let me see what my number is.

#22 10 years ago

mine was made AUG 29th 1990 SN 10 30390

#23 10 years ago

Your GI issues could be many. DE games of this era have a terrible GI design, so much so the came out with a repair bullitin from the factory, which is a good idea to be done. There are multiple failure points to check on the power supply, the transformer, the popcorn board, the z-connectors, the fuse clips and the traces on the power supply, plus all male connectors are suspect. It will be likely more than one of these things... You will need LEDs after you repair, it really is the only way to make this reliable..

#24 10 years ago

If your GI is not working, check for burnt connectors in the back box and replace as necessary. www.greatplainselectronics.com has the parts you will need.

As for your drop target issues, use the switch test and check every single switch on the playfield to help identify problem areas so you know where and what to fix.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Interesting!  I just got my Back to the Future and was wondering what the red and green lights were on the front of the cab.

Quoted from The-koontz:

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments, very much appreciated. I never even noticed the light before in being something wrong with it, I thought it was supposed to be like that! Lol

Most people think that, so you're not alone there. Honestly I thought mine were broken until I came across the thread discussing their purpose. Now I'm glad they're not on! 

I found the thread about them, he's the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57768-13-bttf-what-purpose-these

Copied out of the DE Simpsons manual:
In attract mode:

Red light ON - indicates a non critical switch (ie Outlane switch) is either 
stuck on or has not been closed for 50 games

Red light FLASHING - indicates a critical switch (ie Drop Target switch) is 
either stuck or has not been closed for 50 games

Green light ON - indicates 1500 games (operator adjustable E Ad 32) have 
been played and playfield cleaning is recommended

Green light FLASHING - indicates 2250 games (1.5x E Ad 32) have been played 
and playfield cleaning is strongly recommended

The red light will go off automatically after the bad switch(s) have been 
repaired. To turn the green light off, you must enter Game Cleaned Ad 09 and 
change its setting from NO to YES by depressing the start button. Doing so 
will reset the clean game counter to 0

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from The-koontz:

Thanks!

Here's mine:

Build date: August 14, 1990
Serial number: 010 29947
Cabinet number: 009963

#27 10 years ago

http://www.ipsnd.net/Faq.aspx
#2 explains some info about the numbers

#28 10 years ago

I just finished a full LED conversion on my Back to the Future. It makes the game pop much more. I also added the 1.21 Gigawatt sticker I found on eBay, as well as the license plate for the topper.

IMG_6855.JPGIMG_6855.JPG IMG_6858.JPGIMG_6858.JPG
#29 10 years ago

I used "warm light" LED bulbs in the backglass (but used super bright for the open car door area to make it really pop). All other lights were super bright LED.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Red light ON - indicates a non critical switch (ie Outlane switch) is either 
stuck on or has not been closed for 50 games

Red light FLASHING - indicates a critical switch (ie Drop Target switch) is 
either stuck or has not been closed for 50 games

The red light will go off automatically after the bad switch(s) have been 
repaired.

I believe mine is flashing red, when I got my machine the drop targets would drop but not pop back up and lock balls. Out of no where it just started working correctly, I hit the drop targets they drop and when all three are hit it locks the balls as it should. Now back to the hitting targets and dropping them but not popping back up and not locking balls. I'll have to check those switches, I'd like to find new ones and just replace them. In the manual the part number is 8-141, does anyone know of a new number and or a switch that will work?

I'm in a bit of luck since I'm awaiting parts and cleaning supplies so I have some time to mess with things.

Thanks for the info!

#31 10 years ago

I used "warm light" LED bulbs in the backglass (but used super bright for the open car door area to make it really pop). All other lights were super bright LED.

Sweet! Is that cointaker or did you order somewhere else? I just got my LED's from cointaker today, waiting on my fuses to get here so I can replace them all and hope it takes care of my half of backbox and some of the GI on playfield being out.

Looks really good man, did you take a before and after video by chance? I'd love to see it, I'm going to shoot a short vid of my before and after and I'll eventually post it!

#32 10 years ago

Here is the "before" from a couple weeks ago. I bought the super bright from a great guy at: http://www.rockcustompinball.com/

And the warm LED from an awesome eBay seller: ebay.com link: QTY 100 Frosted Pinball LEDs Mix Match Base and Colors 44 47 and 555

1922171_10151868772202396_688284837_n (1).jpg1922171_10151868772202396_688284837_n (1).jpg
#33 10 years ago

Man, that LED conversion looks really good. How long did it take you to fully convert? I just got my full LED kit from Marco, but I'm not sure when I'm going to install them. Life's been a bit busy for me lately.

Quoted from The-koontz:

I believe mine is flashing red, when I got my machine the drop targets would drop but not pop back up and lock balls. Out of no where it just started working correctly, I hit the drop targets they drop and when all three are hit it locks the balls as it should. Now back to the hitting targets and dropping them but not popping back up and not locking balls. I'll have to check those switches, I'd like to find new ones and just replace them. In the manual the part number is 8-141, does anyone know of a new number and or a switch that will work?
I'm in a bit of luck since I'm awaiting parts and cleaning supplies so I have some time to mess with things.
Thanks for the info!

Makes sense that it was flashing red then. Wish I could help you on the part number, but I'm sure if you run a google search something will turn up. For example, I know Stern offers coils that replace our DE 22-900 with 090-5020-20. I'm sure someone offers that switch under a different number. Good luck!

#34 10 years ago

It took a couple hours to install. There are several tricky spots that it's hard to get the bulbs in and I ended up having to unscrew various parts just to get to the bulb. The only thing I can't figure out is how I'm going to change the Delorean bulbs. They seem impossible to get to.

#35 10 years ago

You gotta pull the ramp and some plastics then remove the cover. Then it's a lot of fun on your fingers in there also.

#36 10 years ago

The Delorean bulbs are pretty to get to, just tilt the playfield and you'll be able to reach in the back of it. I was able to change them without really seeing what I was doing.

#37 10 years ago

I guess I need to look closer. It seemed that I'd have to pull the entire playfield out of the machine and unhook all the wiring to even get to them.

#38 10 years ago

Since I was cleaning the entire playfield I decided to do led. Taking the main ramp off I had to de sodder the flashers. The flasher near the right sling has a plug. The wiring for the main ramp runs right to left. You may be able to take the ramp and hang it over the right side and get to the screws in the back where the delorean plastic is.

1394732933684.jpg1394732933684.jpg 20140227_143709.jpg20140227_143709.jpg
#39 10 years ago

Does the ramp have to be removed to get at the Delorean plate?

#40 10 years ago

That looks like fun. Did you guys use any bulb remover tools or just your fingers? I bought that scissor looking bulb removal/installation tool since I figured it would aid in the process.

#41 10 years ago

Does the ramp have to be removed to get at the Delorean plate?

You can probably cheat by tilting the playfield enough so that the delorean plate clears the ramp.

#42 10 years ago

Possibly not. If u have one of thise angle phillips screw drivers. Easiest possible other way would be raise playfield and just feel for it. There is 2 flashers on each side plus the delorean lights.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

That looks like fun. Did you guys use any bulb remover tools or just your fingers? I bought that scissor looking bulb removal/installation tool since I figured it would aid in the process.

I have had blisters from doing bulbs to led conversions. Bayonets are the worst because sometimes they are just to long and the bottom has to be filed a bit.

#44 10 years ago

I was shocked at how many flashers were in this game. They put them everywhere! When I redid mine with CoinTakers, it threw me for a loop. It took time and patience but it was not very complicated. I've found that taking shortcuts always screwed me in the long run. I could post a vid of mine with the CT's if you guys want to see it.

#45 10 years ago

I just used a needle nose pliers (machine powered off by the way) on the really hard to remove 555 LED posts. Most though came out very easy for me. There were only a handful that were impossible to unscrew by hand.

And yes, there are flashers everywhere. I haven't converted though to LED yet. There are two different sizes. Does anyone know the technical names for them? I need to order them soon. The smaller of the two flashers has the same bayonet size as the normal bulbs, but the ones on the playfield have a larger diameter.

#46 10 years ago

I can email a list of all of the bulbs, colors used, location, and sizes if they like. Just send me a pm with your email.

#47 10 years ago

All I have seen is wedge and bayonet flashers. Blinkers are the snaller bayonet. That I am aware of. Had a few of those in the backbox

#48 10 years ago

Well, got home from a St Patricks day vacation in Ocean City, MD. Played some cool pins I'll post a couple pics I took go the one arcade my wife and I actually went too. They have tons of them on the boardwalk. Anyway...got back and all my parts were here for me to get stated on the machine. Took it completely apart, re-rubbered it with all the rubbered pieces and post even replaced the plastic posts. Replaced every fuse and like said in a previous post, it fixed all my lighting problems! Cleaned and wasted the playfield and converted if to LED's. Only problem is my kit was missing so much stuff and had such a hard time with the LEDs, has anyone else had a problem with cointaker LEDs for the BTTF? I was missing 90% of my flashers! I do have bulbs to use some say use 44 bulbs and what I took out was 47's weird stuff like that. Another thing was on the RH side it said to use qty 7 of 555 bulbs in different colors well it uses 6 and the 7th bulb is a 44. I have to see what's mixed up and they said they'll send me the correct stuff and I can send back what I didint need. It was just a pain to figure what went where and directions were completely opposite to what I did before. I had to use some LEDs out of another led kit I had left over from my corvette which was from pinballbulbs. Maybe nit was just me but PBBulbs directions were so much more simple for me to follow. I'll post so pics as soon as I get the lock down bar sand blasted and painted with the new glass!

#49 10 years ago

As promised from OC one of the first arcades on the boards, if was fun though and had. Great time while we were there.

image-752.jpgimage-752.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#50 10 years ago

Some before and afters...

image-727.jpgimage-727.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-444.jpgimage-444.jpgimage-86.jpgimage-86.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.